Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Regged for hard mode. LET'S DO IIIIIIIIT :krakken:

homeless snail posted:

Yeah sure why not, regged hard. What's the best version of FF5 these days, the GBA one? Or did they ever put out a native PSP port.

GBA one, hands down. Although I'm damned if I know how I'm going to get a screenshot off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

homeless snail posted:

Yeah sure why not, regged hard. What's the best version of FF5 these days, the GBA one? Or did they ever put out a native PSP port.
You can play the PSX version as a PSOne Classic on PSP but it has pretty bad load times and a lovely translation. The GBA version is considered the best since it has updated graphics, a new translation and a post-game dungeon/jobs.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Just registered for weenie baby mode. Hope I don't start with White Mage again this time, that made things way too easy!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

homeless snail posted:

Go with GBA.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm actually hella thinking about this too since I never actually beat FF5 and I'm almost done with FF4!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Pablo Gigante posted:

I'm actually hella thinking about this too since I never actually beat FF5 and I'm almost done with FF4!

Do it! I completed the challenge last year, and I'd never beaten the game before that. It's really fun!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Sounds like an interesting challenge, but I've never played V. How hard of a game is it, because I might use this as an excuse to get it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TBH I wouldn't recommend playing through that way for your first runthrough.

I mean, in my opinion the job system is the only thing FFV has going for it. Would you play through final fantasy tactics with only 4 jobs?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Momomo posted:

Sounds like an interesting challenge, but I've never played V. How hard of a game is it, because I might use this as an excuse to get it.

Not hard, honestly. Some of the bosses can be kind of tricky but that's about it. Give it a shot, man, the challenge is a ton of fun.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyone interested in checking out how FFV plays should give Dr Pepper's low-level Let's Play a read. He abuses the gently caress out of the game mechanics and manages to steamroll most bosses even though his party is at levels 5/4/4/4 at the end of the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

pw pw pw posted:

Would you play through final fantasy tactics with only 4 jobs?

Yes. :colbert: I've beaten FFT using only a single class for all four characters, and done so for most of the classes.

I would do this, but I feel like I just completed my last four job fiesta (I think I missed the actual event last year). Then again, maybe it was a year ago, and time just flies when you're old. I also have a backlog of unplayed games, so yeah. Also also, I only have the cruddy PSX version.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fungah! posted:

GBA one, hands down. Although I'm damned if I know how I'm going to get a screenshot off of it.

Emulator is the only way probably.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes. :colbert: I've beaten FFT using only a single class for all four characters, and done so for most of the classes.

That's fine, and nobody's arguing that there is fun in that. I think his point was, would you tell a first-time Final Fantasy Tactics player to do it?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

pw pw pw posted:

TBH I wouldn't recommend playing through that way for your first runthrough.

I mean, in my opinion the job system is the only thing FFV has going for it. Would you play through final fantasy tactics with only 4 jobs?

Probably, yeah, but that's because I'm boring. With this challenge I might end up with a team that isn't Fighter, White Mage, Black Mage, Fighter.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Emulator is the only way probably.

Yeah, I guess, unless they accept lovely low-res pictures from my phone. I just hate using an emulator when I've got a perfectly good DS and copy of the game sitting around

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Momomo posted:

I suggest having the best of both worlds;

You've got over 2 weeks until the Fiesta officially starts. Boot up the game and play through it like a legit first-time player would. Switch jobs around, get a feel of each job and their roles in battle, find your favorites, all that jazz.

Then when the Fiesta rolls around, you can start up a new game and dive into the challenge! :woop: By that point you'll atleast have a base knowledge of the way the game works.

Fungah! posted:

Regged for hard mode. LET'S DO IIIIIIIIT :krakken:

Last year, a lot people on were taking their victory screenshots the old fashioned way; :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Happy Blue Cow posted:

You and me both :o:

In all seriousness, you aren't alone in disdain for twitter and/or even having an account. My last tweets on my twitter account were from LAST YEARS fiesta... that's how little I use/care for it.

But like RevenantKioku says, Twitter allows for privacy (if you make a new account). Not to mention at this point the Twitter Gilgabot is pretty deeply embedded in automatically tracking a lot of things, such as the statistics of progress, donations, pledges, and job allocation of hundreds of different players all simultaneously, and automatically updates these events on website. It takes a huge load of work off the event organizer, and makes things really clean and efficient, by having Twitter support.

So making a twitter account in less than 2 minutes to sign up really saves a lot of time in the long run, and is well worth it since this event rocks!

:getin:

EDIT: I also signed up for Hard mode!

Could have just said no, but thanks for the wall of text. I'm not registering for Twitter to use it once. I'll find my d20s once I get home I suppose.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Could have just said no, but thanks for the wall of text. I'm not registering for Twitter to use it once.

Wow, you certainly seem to have some strong, cutting-edge opinions about Twitter and the people suggesting you use Twitter to make a single post!

It's too bad I hadn't beaten FFV yet (still working on FFII), otherwise I'd be interested in doing this. This better be up again next year, because I'm diving in!

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I'm also registered! I went for normal because I've never done this before. I hope my team is okay.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Twitter is a very confusing place, but I managed to register. Will I have to wait until the 17th to get my team, cause I wanna go now?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I registered for Hard Mode earlier, and I'll probably end up doing it on the PSX version, since I kinda want to see if the translation's as hilariously awful as I remember (Salsa for a character name immediately springs to mind).

Besides, the way I see it adding the menu lag will add extra "challenge" that'll otherwise be lacking. I don't think any party that I'll get rolled will be as annoying or difficult as a Berserker SCC :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

I registered for Hard Mode earlier, and I'll probably end up doing it on the PSX version, since I kinda want to see if the translation's as hilariously awful as I remember (Salsa for a character name immediately springs to mind).
It gives Faris a terrible stereotypical pirate accent, for one

And yes, they translate Faris' real name as Salsa instead of Sarisa

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Attitude Indicator posted:

Twitter is a very confusing place, but I managed to register. Will I have to wait until the 17th to get my team, cause I wanna go now?

Yeah your first job unlocks on the 17th. If you wanna get started you could play up to the wind crystal since you're stuck using the freelancer anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Guess what I did last year?

I can't wait for a formal one! :getin:

I need to get a twitter account first.

Smooglepoot
May 20, 2009
This is pretty much how I always play FFV. Except I use a ruleset that I found on gamefaqs a few years ago.

I currently have a game going with a monk, a black mage, a dancer, and a bard

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Whelp I'm doing hard in my first year hope it goes OK.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Are save-states and emulator fast-forward allowed?

Mega64 posted:

You can bet I'll be using fast-forward through the cutscenes.

I've been playing the FF5A Custom Classes mod on my DS Lite and man, do I wish I could speed through the story scenes.

But then you'll be missing out on all the superfluous nodding characters do! How else will you be able to enjoy the game, if you don't see the party nodding at Cid and Mid every few seconds? :v:

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 2, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I've been playing the FF5A Custom Classes mod on my DS Lite and man, do I wish I could speed through the story scenes.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
Never played FFV before, and the only Final Fantasy I actually completed was the dreadful FF8. But I did just read a Let's Play where the game was beaten at level 5, surely I could handle a regular Four Job Fiesta run.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mega64 posted:

Please figure out where the Dark Arts are dropped from now. :v: Objet D'art drops Dark Haze, but I can't figure any of the rest out.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Hog Butcher posted:

Please figure out where the Dark Arts are dropped from now. :v: Objet D'art drops Dark Haze, but I can't figure any of the rest out.

Dr Pepper actually just covered all of that recently in his low-level LP that was mentioned earlier.

e: v Oh, I didn't realize the custom classes hack switched the drops. That is strange.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 2, 2012

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Dr Pepper actually just covered all of that recently in his low-level LP that was mentioned earlier.

I'm aware of that LP. It isn't using the Custom Classes romhack.

It's odd that he switched which one's dropped, though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Man I'm at the end of world 2 with a four job fiesta (Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Dragoon) but I also want to join in this fun...

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
That hack site has a spreadsheet which has the Dark Arts locations on it, but I'm not sure if those are the original ones or new ones.

http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ff5a-custom-classes-info-xls

Recycling Centerpiece fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 2, 2012

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Sworder posted:

That hack site has a spreadsheet which has the Dark Arts locations on it, but I'm not sure if those are the original ones or new ones.

Ah, thanks! I somehow missed the other tabs of the xls.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Okay yeah, I'll do this. Do I want to play hard or regular though? Any opinions?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lilli posted:

Okay yeah, I'll do this. Do I want to play hard or regular though? Any opinions?

Your heart's telling you to play hard mode. Listen to your heart.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pablo Gigante posted:

You can play the PSX version as a PSOne Classic on PSP but it has pretty bad load times and a lovely translation. The GBA version is considered the best since it has updated graphics, a new translation and a post-game dungeon/jobs.
Maybe it makes me an unapologetic nerd but I can't hate the translation that spawned spoony bard.

Did they ever fix the PSX emulation resulting in scrambled menu screens when saving?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

zedprime posted:

Maybe it makes me an unapologetic nerd but I can't hate the translation that spawned spoony bard.

Did they ever fix the PSX emulation resulting in scrambled menu screens when saving?

Spoony bard was in the SNES version of FFIV, dude. All FFV gave us was princess Salsa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
I think I'll sign up for this despite never making it to the end of Final Fantasy V before. I take it that the GBA-exclusive classes are all off limits?