Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Probably because the people who care Bill isn't there didn't buy a ticket.

I saw them for their full reunion years ago, and it was loving outstanding. I won't see them without Bill :colbert:

edit: The new Ahab is in fact growing on me. It won't top Divinity by a longshot but I like it. Aeons Elapse and Antarctica have some good writing in them.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sleep tomorrow night :stare:

What's so special about that, I've gone to sleep every night for years :v:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Thanks for the Horseback talk. I can't stop listening to The Invisible Mountain.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

you lucky bastard :stare:

Oh, here's an interview with John Garcia and Brant Bjork talking about the whole legal mess with Kyuss Lives. It's all a bit upsetting really. Hopefully the record they're going to make is at least a decent bit of desert rock, regardless of whether it comes off as like legit Kyuss or not (doubtful).

Ugh. I love Josh Homme and Queens is pretty much my favorite band, but that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They just want to make cool music, guy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gils posted:

What's so special about that, I've gone to sleep every night for years :v:

:allears:

Off to see Sleep again, Yob, Melvins, WitTR, Slayer and A Storm of Light two days later in London at ATP IBYM.

Anyone else going to that?

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

Geddy Krueger posted:

They just want to make cool music, guy.
They're not making cool music as much as they are bleeding the legacy dry by playing the same 20 year old songs. Also they have apparently been selling meet-and-greets after shows for $75 a pop. And trying to secure sole ownership of the Kyuss name.

Yeah, everyone is pretty much a greedy douche in this whole mess...

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Mindfish posted:

They're not making cool music as much as they are bleeding the legacy dry by playing the same 20 year old songs. Also they have apparently been selling meet-and-greets after shows for $75 a pop. And trying to secure sole ownership of the Kyuss name.

Yeah, everyone is pretty much a greedy douche in this whole mess...

Where does it say this?

Being in bands is absolutely awesome until someone realizes they can make money or a career from it. Then you start to see who the REAL people are. It's not fun at all.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'm not going to lie here, the new Ahab is pretty loving sweet. Took me a few listens to find the parts I want from them but there's a lot to like here. I think every song has its moments, some of them build up excellently. I still miss the "lost at sea" vibe but I won't be putting it on the shelf anytime soon.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Where does it say this?

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/03/josh-homme-scott-reeder-file-suit-over-kyuss-name-read-their-statement/
http://kyusslives.tumblr.com/post/9272158160/v-i-p-packages-for-us-tour

Only $70 it seems and it included some swag too.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

That kind of poo poo standard for tours nowadays, I saw Nachtmystium open up for Cradle of Filth and CoF was selling the same exact poo poo.

Can't fault a couple guys trying to make extra cash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So Sleep were eh...loud.

:stare:

Going to see them again on Friday.
YES.
YESSS.

Keyz
Dec 11, 2007

open your heart

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm not going to lie here, the new Ahab is pretty loving sweet. Took me a few listens to find the parts I want from them but there's a lot to like here. I think every song has its moments, some of them build up excellently. I still miss the "lost at sea" vibe but I won't be putting it on the shelf anytime soon.

No kidding. I adore TCoTWS, so at first I was apprehensive about getting into the new album's mellower sound. But goddamn does that poo poo grow on you. Also, vocals have always been one of this band's greatest strengths and somehow they're better than ever in this record. I wish I knew more doom/dronish bands with singing like this.

Mindfish
Jul 18, 2003
Professional Victim

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Can't fault a couple guys trying to make extra cash.
It rubs me the wrong way, when they at the same time accuse Josh of being greedy. Especially when the lawsuit was in part to prevent their underhanded attempt to secure the Kyuss name.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Keyz posted:

No kidding. I adore TCoTWS, so at first I was apprehensive about getting into the new album's mellower sound. But goddamn does that poo poo grow on you. Also, vocals have always been one of this band's greatest strengths and somehow they're better than ever in this record. I wish I knew more doom/dronish bands with singing like this.

I'm not sure what the difference between Divinity's clean vocals and this one are (production maybe) but the last album's clean vocals fit better to me. Honestly if they weren't so loving good at writing great guitar parts I'm not sure I'd be that into this album. The first two were the total package.

As much as I like their style of clean vocals, this band could put out an entirely instrumental album and I'd be sporting the biggest music stiffie on earth.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Not that you people need telling, but go see Sleep. Just got back from seeing them in Leeds, best show I've been to in a long time. Al Cisneros said something about new songs; maybe he was just talking about the updated version of Sonic Titan (which was awesome), but I really hope there's more to come.

A Storm of Light were pretty so-so, hadn't heard them before and I don't think I'll be looking them up. Sounded like Neurosis but boring.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

I started the facebook group "Doom/Sludge Metal" years ago on facebook, (http://www.facebook.com/groups/2204931522/) forgot about it after awhile, then remembered it and it's gotten kinda big. Especially with people from far away lands who post lots of youtube links to stuff I've never heard of in languages I don't recognize.

Just wanted to share another resource to find new music.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

A Storm of Light were pretty so-so, hadn't heard them before and I don't think I'll be looking them up. Sounded like Neurosis but boring.

I figured them for a sort of boring Kylesa. Was not impressed at all. They had one great song that was second last in their set.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

I figured them for a sort of boring Kylesa. Was not impressed at all. They had one great song that was second last in their set.

They come under the category of "bands I want to like, but just don't..." I have one of their albums and I can't get into it at all. Glad I am not alone.

So much Sleep envy here. They're in London today and I can't go :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cisneros said something about new songs; maybe he was just talking about the updated version of Sonic Titan (which was awesome), but I really hope there's more to come.

We got that in Dublin too, he mentioned how it wasn't on any album yet, which is pretty cool.
They must be doing pretty well for themselves, they're selling out everywhere.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I caught Baroness this past Wednesday with Meshuggah and Decapitated, they were outstanding. One of the better live shows I've seen, Baroness' energy was great. Mostly songs from the Blue Album, with two tracks from Yellow & Green and one(?) from Red. They did a neat thing with the lighting, where the colors corresponded to the album (i.e. Blue Album tracks had blue lighting).

The bill was admittedly a little off, having a band like Baroness follow Decapitated was weird. Still, seeing Meshuggah and Baroness in one show gave me a stoner-boner.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I saw the Tuesday version of that show and it was good. Baroness definitely brings it energy-wise. A lot of the crowd didn't quite get them but meh.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Stand out tracks on the new Ahab are definitely "Deliverance" and "The Giant."

The second half of both of those songs are so loving awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wellity wellity well. Just back from Sleep, Yob, Slayer, WiTTR and Melvins at ATP IBYM.

I completely missed A Storm of Light, no big deal, not a fan.
Slayer were Slayer, not my thing. Too fast!

On to the good stuff:

Had to queue for an hour+ to collect my ticked and missed Yob opening with Prepare the Ground, was raging. Caught the rest of their set, it was great.

Melvins were pretty cool too, not very familiar with their stuff but very enjoyable.

WiTTR good as always. Yet again bad vocal mix on the lead guy but it's not like you can understand the vocals anyway.

Sleep, as usual, killed it.
Overall I'd say the Dublin Sleep gig I went to on Wednesday was better but Dragonaut and Sonic Titan at ATP were just unreal. So many moshers. I'm too refined for that nonsense though.

On the tube home, I met these three Belgium guys and it turned out one of them, a photographer, had done the cover photography for Sunn O)))'s last live album, Agarthi Live.

Then on the other tube I had to get, I met a guy from New Zealand and it turns out he did the merchandise for Sleep, Om and High on Fire and knows Matt Pike and Al Cisneros very well.
He was telling me all these mad stories about Matt Pike waking up in random vans in New York and all this crazy stuff.

Good times.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
My general impression from the internet at large is that a lot of people don't like the new Ahab album. Personally (from one listen) I think it sounds brilliant. The cleans are great, there are still the earth rattling, low growls, and the instrumentation, is, as ever, top notch. Giving Old Man Gloom- NO a spin now, will report back with impressions later...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Wellity wellity well. Just back from Sleep, Yob, Slayer, WiTTR and Melvins at ATP IBYM.

I'm super jealous of you going to this, the lineup is incredible. Really wish Yob were doing more UK tour dates, I'd love to see them live.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

I'm super jealous of you going to this, the lineup is incredible. Really wish Yob were doing more UK tour dates, I'd love to see them live.

Yob is an incredible band to see live, they're really nice, too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nomapple posted:

Giving Old Man Gloom- NO a spin now, will report back with impressions later...
it's very good :ssh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Really wish Yob were doing more UK tour dates, I'd love to see them live.

They were so chill live, Mike Scheidt is super cool.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Al Cisneros said something about new songs; maybe he was just talking about the updated version of Sonic Titan (which was awesome), but I really hope there's more to come.

Are they still doing "Antarcticans Thawed" on this tour? I don't think that tune has ever been recorded.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Juaguocio posted:

Are they still doing "Antarcticans Thawed" on this tour? I don't think that tune has ever been recorded.

Haven't seen them play it in a while, probably since Roadburn.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Juaguocio posted:

They played it here (Finland).

With Al repeating how some songs are not on record yet at pretty much every gig, I'm sure we'll get a new album soon. :dance:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Juaguocio posted:

I'm not sure, at the very start Matt was riffing by himself for five minutes or so - could that have been it? It was pretty funny, he was stood on the disabled lift and someone made it go up and down while he played so he kept peeking over the top and then vanishing again. IIRC the setlist after that was Dopesmoker (a shortened version), Sonic Titan, Holy Mountain, Dragonaut, From Beyond. Might have been one other song as that looks a little short for how long they were on stage, but I don't think there was anything else I didn't recognise.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Good and bad news from Saw Her Ghost records, looks like the pre-order of Beast in the Field's Goat Isle Seance special edition vinyl is going to be extended. Bad news is that the pressing company is really backed up, delaying all pre-orders at least two more weeks.

More here.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

I'm not sure, at the very start Matt was riffing by himself for five minutes or so - could that have been it? It was pretty funny, he was stood on the disabled lift and someone made it go up and down while he played so he kept peeking over the top and then vanishing again. IIRC the setlist after that was Dopesmoker (a shortened version), Sonic Titan, Holy Mountain, Dragonaut, From Beyond. Might have been one other song as that looks a little short for how long they were on stage, but I don't think there was anything else I didn't recognise.

"Antarcticans" starts with Al droning on one note for a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XYhXaPitE

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008
I just downloaded the Split Cranium album because I'm a big Isis fan and Aaron Turner can do no wrong. This is totally 100% different from Isis, but I love it, and I want to listen to more punk metal. Where do I start?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gee Wizard posted:

I just downloaded the Split Cranium album because I'm a big Isis fan and Aaron Turner can do no wrong. This is totally 100% different from Isis, but I love it, and I want to listen to more punk metal. Where do I start?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0DR1Ty05nE

edit: oh hey this is the doom thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFRkw1sxBHs

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gee Wizard posted:

doom (uk band), extreme noise terror, skitsystem, anti-cimex, discharge, disrupt, consume etc.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Gee Wizard posted:

You'd probably like All Pigs Must Die, Nails, and Black Breath

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Went to a very cool gig by Spider Kitten, from Newport, South Wales just across the water from me. Loads of great riffs, quite hard to place but it's mainly stoner/doom. Drummer from Taint playing like it's his last day alive. I haven't checked it out yet, but today only they're putting their new LP up on a name your price deal. Here!

Also playing were Undersmile, slow sludge/doom with two very discordant female vocalists & guitarists fronting. It was actually their debut LP release party, and I was pretty glad to be one of the... 15 or so people there. We bought a copy of their album and it's ace. Buy here

A friend just let me know that Big Business is in town tomorrow! Then on the other stage his band is playing (Death of Orion), followed by Walk Through Fire from Sweden and Dead Existence from London. Not listened to those last two yet but I'm pretty glad I have some good earplugs.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
For me, punk metal doesn't get much better than Disfear