Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
My guess it that that always happened because either A: Turner couldn't be as lenient about overruns as USA always has been or B: that's what WCW thought cliffhangers were. Probably a little of both actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

My guess it that that always happened because either A: Turner couldn't be as lenient about overruns as USA always has been or B: that's what WCW thought cliffhangers were. Probably a little of both actually.

Probably B. wasn't post-Nitro just an ep of Thunder in Paradise followed by a Nitro replay

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I am not sure what Hogan was even supposed to do there. Sting took so long to leisurely zip line his way to the ring and all.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

sportsgenius86 posted:

Probably B. wasn't post-Nitro just an ep of Thunder in Paradise followed by a Nitro replay
There was that Robin Hood show that they ended up showing the continuation of the preceding Nitro's main event during the commercial breaks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Perigryn posted:

There was that Robin Hood show that they ended up showing the continuation of the preceding Nitro's main event during the commercial breaks.

I loved how they kept saying it was live during the break ins. Like we were supposed to believe that Giant and Hogan had been going at it for like 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJjgtKgNssI

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
ummm.. anyone know how Robocop fits in this angle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yc9FXJT8HE

Zoltarb
Oct 27, 2007
What about when the fantabulous Jay Leno was feuding with Eric and naturally Eric needed his own late night talk show? Even a short sketch would have been pretty bad but that poo poo went on as long as the actual drat Tonight Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDG2cb88XKM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_r1h_YeXo

Who doesn't love Monica Lewinsky jokes?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Gabe sign!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iLikeMidgets posted:

ummm.. anyone know how Robocop fits in this angle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yc9FXJT8HE

You just can't subtitle a PPV "Return of Robocop" without bringing out Robocop. :rolleyes:

I'd say that it was because this was still a period where WCW was still in flux between becoming a national player as opposed to a local one (Turner had bought it only a year or two earlier and this happened while the NWA and WCW were still affiliated) and they were just doing a stupid promotion. But then I remember about the monster trucks, and Chucky, and really just about all the stupid poo poo they always pulled.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 2, 2012

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Zoltarb posted:

What about when the fantabulous Jay Leno was feuding with Eric and naturally Eric needed his own late night talk show? Even a short sketch would have been pretty bad but that poo poo went on as long as the actual drat Tonight Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDG2cb88XKM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_r1h_YeXo

Who doesn't love Monica Lewinsky jokes?

Jesus, they showed a clip where Leno showed a clip of a previous segment. The recursiveness of that segment is mind blowing. Also love the crowd getting angrier as the segment goes on as the horrible attempts to cover it with canned laughter sort of cover it up.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Toffile posted:

But then I remember about the monster trucks, and Chucky, and really just about all the stupid poo poo they always pulled.
Yes, monster trucks....

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

What are you talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF71kHFzuNA

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Deadpool posted:

I loved how they kept saying it was live during the break ins. Like we were supposed to believe that Giant and Hogan had been going at it for like 40 minutes.

HAHAHA wow, seriously. SERIOUSLY, that is amazing. Tony Schiavone deserves a medal for apparently nailing the transition between "end of Nitro" and "first thing shown during the commercial break" so well that he did not even really pause in the middle of the sentence talking about staying tuned and being glad to have tuned back in.

The second commercial break is funny, too, but the first one is stunning.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I kinda like how they didn't bother cleaning up the garbage thrown into the ring and the same debris is just sitting there 20 minutes later.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Deadpool posted:

"We have six minutes before we have to go off the air."
(five and a half minute Hogan entrance)

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

I love how Vincent almost fell straight on his face.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Quarex posted:

HAHAHA wow, seriously. SERIOUSLY, that is amazing. Tony Schiavone deserves a medal for apparently nailing the transition between "end of Nitro" and "first thing shown during the commercial break" so well that he did not even really pause in the middle of the sentence talking about staying tuned and being glad to have tuned back in.

The second commercial break is funny, too, but the first one is stunning.

If the Giant had beaten Hogan for the belt, it would have been somewhat forgivable. But ending the "40 minute match" with a run-in was just...wow. Just having "the match" during an hour show was one thing, but not even having a decent ending was a slap in the face.

I say this as someone who watched the whole episode.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This wasn't that dumb of a promotional tactic. Nitro was their top rated show, and they were trying to get an audience for the Robinhood show. Let's give WCW a little credit here, this was obviously a Turner Broadcasting decision. I could legit see WWE and USA doing this.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 3, 2012

bartok
May 10, 2006

It wasn't a Nitro unless it ended with the ring covered in garbage.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I always hated how WCW did that. (especially with segments involving Sting) Just as something was about to go down they'd go 'we'll see you next week!!' Every god drat week

I think Bischoff once said they did this because they wanted people to feel the action was "real". Like if this was really happening, dudes wouldn't give a poo poo about time cues or doing things to peak at the end of the show, stuff would just happen time limits be damned

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

I think Bischoff once said they did this because they wanted people to feel the action was "real". Like if this was really happening, dudes wouldn't give a poo poo about time cues or doing things to peak at the end of the show, stuff would just happen time limits be damned

I am also sure he thought that if it was a cliffhanger people would return to see the resolution.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

I am also sure he thought that if it was a cliffhanger people would return to see the resolution.

Oh probably. And Nitro's ratings were consistently high at that time, so they probably didn't want to change their "winning formula"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

How many Nitros actually ended with some huge nWo run-in to cause a DQ and beat down the face? I know it happened but has it been blown out of proportion due to time and bashing WCW? Just a rough figure, was it only actually like 10 times or was it literally almost every week like people say it was?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

How many Nitros actually ended with some huge nWo run-in to cause a DQ and beat down the face? I know it happened but has it been blown out of proportion due to time and bashing WCW? Just a rough figure, was it only actually like 10 times or was it literally almost every week like people say it was?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I really do remember it being almost every week.

But to be fair, WWF in 1998-1999 also had a TON of run-in finishes. You ain't gonna get a clean finish to Austin vs Undertaker on Raw baby, no no you gotta pay for that.

Edit: Did anyone watch Vince Russo's live Youshoot?? http://www.pwinsiderxtra.com/ViewArticle.php?id=21963&p=1

Double Edit: Nevermind I see HulkaMatt posted about it in the Indies thread

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 4, 2012

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oldpainless posted:

in late 96 and early 97, almost every week. it calmed down a bit mid 97.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

See and I felt that gave you a sense of reality to the whole thing. There's only so much time to catch the action. WWE went the other way by having overruns but the problem is we now expect the overrun. Nobody watches Raw thinking it will end at 11 anymore. With WCW you knew the action was going to end at 11 and when it did you had a sense of, "gently caress I wanted to see how it all went down!" and sometimes WCW was smart enough to show you what happened when the cameras went off in the next episode so you were quickly caught up and had a reason to look forward to the next two to three hours.

Raw and Nitro was full of cliffhangers in the late 90s and I honestly feel that is missing from weekly mainstream wrestling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was cool with the cliffhangers. It was frustrating sometimes and funny after awhile but a cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more is a good thing as long as you deliver. And Nitro was pulling it off for awhile.

I'm not sure if the nWo beat down ending was quite as often as remembered but it was close. And the memories probably blur with "nWo get a cheap win and celebrate" and "nWo come out for a show ending promo just because." Any way round a night that didn't end with the nWo in the ring for some reason was a rare one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I swear there were at least a few Nitros that ended with Hogan playing the air guitar as his music played, and that's it. Like he would just come out for a promo with Eric, they'd talk poo poo, Eric would say "Play us out Hulkster!". The music would start up, Hogan would dance around for like 3 minutes then the show would go off the air.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I swear there were at least a few Nitros that ended with Hogan playing the air guitar as his music played, and that's it. Like he would just come out for a promo with Eric, they'd talk poo poo, Eric would say "Play us out Hulkster!". The music would start up, Hogan would dance around for like 3 minutes then the show would go off the air.

I think '98 had a few of those but '97 was all about closing the show off right before WCW started to turn the tide on the nWo so people would think, "IS THIS THE NIGHT?" and then, "WE'RE ALL OUT OF TIME FOLKS!" which was fantastic because nobody was going to stop watching because they didn't see the nWo lose in the last 10 minutes of a Nitro. They were going to tune in again for sure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah, I definitely remember few of those. The nWo would do their giant show of coming out and hitting their phrases and you'd be waiting for Sting or whatever to happen and nothing. It's like sometimes WCW went with the default, couldn't figure out an ending, and just said screw it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I may go through the Nitros from the time the nWo started and see exactly how many times it ended like that. What criteria are we looking for here? Just an nWo beatdown ending? Or a cliffhanger ending? Or perhaps a clusterfuck brawl ending? I guess we could do all three.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lone Rogue posted:

WWE went the other way by having overruns but the problem is we now expect the overrun. Nobody watches Raw thinking it will end at 11 anymore.

Raw and Nitro was full of cliffhangers in the late 90s and I honestly feel that is missing from weekly mainstream wrestling.

The overruns help the main event feel less scripted to me. Smackdown always feels weird to have a wrestling match always conveniently finish right around 9:59pm.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I think I may go through the Nitros from the time the nWo started and see exactly how many times it ended like that. What criteria are we looking for here? Just an nWo beatdown ending? Or a cliffhanger ending? Or perhaps a clusterfuck brawl ending? I guess we could do all three.

I wanted to know how many ended in an nWo beatdown ending. Whether its a no-contest or DQ win for the face doesn't matter. As long as the face didn't pin/submit the nWo guy for a victory.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I know it's tied in with most of the beatdowns, but I'd like to know how many eps had a guy getting spraypainted with the nWo logo (or a yellow stripe, which I think Luger and Savage both got) in the final segment of the show.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Astro7x posted:

The overruns help the main event feel less scripted to me. Smackdown always feels weird to have a wrestling match always conveniently finish right around 9:59pm.

I remember from when I was a kid back in mid-80s, there was some wrestling show (AWA?) where the main event each week was for the TV title with a time limit of "Television time remaining" which could be anywhere from 6-12 minutes. An easy plot point was for the heel challenger to have the heel champion beaten, but go to a time limit draw because they were out of time on the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just went though the 1996 Nitros starting after the nWo was formed on 7/7/96.

7/15 - nWo promo,  garbage littered ring, WCW wrestlers walk to ringside and are about to brawl, show ends. "We are out of time!"
7/29 - Replayed part of nWo beat down earlier in the show.
8/05 - Cliffhanger as Sting and Luger are trying to get in nWo limo. "We are out of time!"
8/12 - WCW unites and runs nWo out of building through the crowd followed by Flair promo.
8/26 - nWo beat down. Garbage in ring, multiple people spray painted.
9/02 - nWo beat down. Garbage in ring, multiple people spray painted.
9/23 - nWo beat down occurs half way through show. Garbage littered ring, multiple people spray painted. They take over show from that point and replay beat down to end the show.
10/07 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Spray paint. Monster truck teases destroying set as cliffhanger.
10/14 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Spray paint.
11/18 - nWo beat down is averted by cops. Garbage still fills ring.
11/25 - nWo beat down. Garbage.
12/16 - WCW unites. WCW vs nWo clusterfuck brawl. Garbage. "We gotta go!"
12/23 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Security tries to break it up "We gotta go!"
12/30 - nWo beat down. Massive Garbage. Followed immediately by another nWo beat down after kicking Giant out of nWo.

Several other shows ended with the nWo either in control of commentary for taking over earlier in the show or doing a promo in ring.

EDIT: Alright, here's 1997. I'll do 1998 tomorrow.

1/06 - nWo beat down of The Giant. Garbage. Followed by nWo leaving and Vincent going back to ring ans getting beat down from The Giant
1/13 - nWo run in and attack The Giant after match that occurs during the commercials of The New Adventures of Robin Hood.
1/27 - nWo beat down is stopped by Lex Luger casually strolling to ring which causes the nWo to backdown.
3/03 - Ends in nWo/WCW clusterfuck brawl. "We've gotta go, we're out of time! See ya next week!"
3/17 - nWo beat down is averted by combined forces of WCW and they are run off. Sting points at Hogan. "WCW is back!" - Tony Schiavonni
3/24 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Spray paint.
4/07 - nWo attempts beat down, is run off by Sting and DDP
4/14 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Sting, DDP, Luger, and Giant get bats and are about to enter and take on the nWo. Sting hits Nash. "We're out of time!"
4/21 - nWo surround Flair, Piper, and Kevin Greene in the ring and then "We're out of time!"
4/28 - nWo casually stroll to the ring during Piper and Flair promo. Flair exits ring to head off the nWo. They beat Flair down in the aisle as Piper is completely oblivious in the ring. Piper finally notices, takes off belt and runs out of ring towards nWo as show suddenly ends.
5/05 - nWo beat down. Several run out to try and stop it, nobody can. Garbage.
5/26 - nWo surround Sting in the ring. "We're out of time. Wait we're staying with it." nWo climbs into ring, Sting goes back up to ceiling "He's gone and so are we!"
6/09 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Sting drops down points bat at nWo, grabs DDP and goes back up to ceiling with DDP. "Goodnight everybody!"
6/16 - nWo beat down. Massive garbage. Spray paint.
6/23 - nWo beat down. Massive garbage. Sting makes last second save but DDP is pretty much dead.
6/30 - nWo beat down. Sting makes save. Curt Hennig walks out. Raven jumps guard rail. "We're out of time!"
7/21 - Minor nWo beat down on the Horsemen. Steiners approach ring. "We're out of time!"
7/28 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Giant runs off nWo. They start to come back. Surround the ring. "We're out of time! Goodnight everyone!"
8/04 - Lex Luger fights off attempted nWo beat down during match. Garbage floods ring as crowd anticipates gently caress finish. Match continues, Luger wins Heavyweight Title. Massive garbage. WCW celebration. Still more garbage.
8/18 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Clusterfuck brawl.
8/25 - Clusterfuck ending. "We are out of time, we gotta go!"
9/22 - nWo beat down. Giant headed to ring to stop it. "We are out of time, we gotta go, see ya next week!"
9/29 - nWo beat down. Massive garbage. Sting heads to ring. Clears ring. Then nWo jumps back in the ring and starts fighing. Show ends.
10/13 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Multiple Stings surround the ring. They are beat down. Real Sting clears ring. "We are out of time!"
10/20 - nWo/WCW clusterfuck brawl. Cage lowers over ring. Show ends as brawl continues.
10/27 - nWo beat down. Garbage. Show ends during brawl.
11/10 - nWo beat down Sting. Nobody in WCW wants to help him. Garbage. "We have gotta get out of here!"
11/17 - nWo beat down Giant. WCW roster likes Giant more than Sting so they run in to save him. Show ends as brawl continues.
11/24 - nWo beat down Giant. WCW roster no longer likes Giant for some reason so they don't save him. Sting dummy drops through ring. Show ends.
12/01 - nWo beat down. Garbage.
12/08 - nWo beat down. Sting dummy drops through ring. Magically turns into real Sting. He beats down nWo.
12/15 - nWo beat down. Garbage. DDP and Steiners run off nWo. DDP cuts promo. nWo come back out and cut promo. Stings appear. Show fizzles off the air with pretty much nothing happening.
12/22 - Hogan gets his own head in a box for Christmas. Bret Hart walks out. Sting ziplines to ring. "See ya Sunday!"
12/29 - Sting and Hogan match to end show. "Fans we're out of time!" before match finishes.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 4, 2012

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The pre-nWo Hulk Hogan era WCW was absolutely brutal to watch. There was some great wrestling going on but then there's Hulk loving Babyface Hogan. Pre-Hulk Hogan WCW/NWA was freaking awesome. Even with the no top rope poo poo(which I kinda liked because it made the eventual juniors scene that much more cooler).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Wasn't it all messed up because they had future plans for guys like Austin and Steamboat, then Hogan came in and they literally dropped everything they were doing, and flashturned Flair heel so he could be Hogan's first program?

And then there was Steamboat's injury, Hogan bringing in his buddies, and the rest is history.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Deadpool posted:

nWo beat down. alot.

clearly this is one case where it's not hyperbole to say that Nitro ended with an nWo beatdown every week. jesus. that's a crazy list to look at, even as someone who watched each of those episodes live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

Wasn't it all messed up because they had future plans for guys like Austin and Steamboat, then Hogan came in and they literally dropped everything they were doing, and flashturned Flair heel so he could be Hogan's first program?

And then there was Steamboat's injury, Hogan bringing in his buddies, and the rest is history.

Yeah. Not that pre Hogan WCW was very good. 1993 was a lovely lovely year full of lovely PPVs. 1994 before Hogan came in was great, but that was partially because they were in a holding pattern as they negotiated with Hogan so they told Flair to do whatever.