Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Rastor posted:

Assuming you meant to say prepaid plans, your wish has been granted, at least partially.

Starting June 5, Page Plus (Verizon towers) is doubling their data allowance to 2GB and allowing activation of used Verizon iPhones.

Starting June 22, Cricket Wireless (Sprint + a few of their own towers) is selling new iPhones.

Both options will be $55/month for service. And of course you'll only be getting CDMA 3G rather than HSPA+ 4G.

Yea I meant pre-paid. drat I wish I saw that, but I'm going to try StraightTalk with an AT&T phone I got off of SA Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Rooster Brooster posted:

(as I'm T-Mobile and can't use Google Voice's voicemail).

Whaaaaaat?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rooster Brooster posted:

Is there any solution for using GrooveIP and having it NOT ring my non-VOIP line when I'm on wifi? I saw that solution using Tasker above, but I'd rather something simpler if at all possible. It'd be nice if I could just tell Google Voice to "ring" Google Chat three times, then ring my cell three times, then dump to my cell's voicemail (as I'm T-Mobile and can't use Google Voice's voicemail).

The tasker solution is actually very simple, it takes like 10 minutes to do.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

I have the same problem with the prepaid T-mobile plans, when you try to set that step up it always fails.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

It simply isn't an option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

ShaneB posted:

It simply isn't an option.

That needs to be clearly listed in the OP if it isn't. That alone is a dealbreaker for the $30 5g data plan. Dammit and I was really hoping to jump on that with the GNex!

V - I guess I need it dumbed down further. I don't understand what the difference is. So Google voicemail works if you let it ring through, but if you intentionally reject the call it doesn't?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 31, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You still have voicemail.

If you don't pick up after a few rings, it goes to the Google Voice voicemail. If you reject the call, it goes to the T-Mobile voicemail.

The feature which doesn't work on prepaid is redirecting all dropped/redirected calls to a Google Voice voicemail box number.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I read a thing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/31/leap_estimated_to_pay_apple_150_subsidy_for_contract_free_500_iphone_4s.html

I'm not well versed on phone technology, but would I be better off getting a 4s from cricket? By my maths and adjusted for sales tax, I'd be breaking even in about 10 months, and I plan to use the phone for much longer than than.

How does cricket network compare to att? Maybe I should be posting in the recommend me a phone thread.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 31, 2012

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

ShaneB posted:

The tasker solution is actually very simple, it takes like 10 minutes to do.

Yeah, I guess I can do that, but tons o' people have my non-google voice number which means texts/calls to that would go nowhere while I was on wifi. Guess I'll have to suffer or tell everyone to update their poo poo.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Rastor posted:

You still have voicemail.

If you don't pick up after a few rings, it goes to the Google Voice voicemail. If you reject the call, it goes to the T-Mobile voicemail.

The feature which doesn't work on prepaid is redirecting all dropped/redirected calls to a Google Voice voicemail box number.

And it only doesn't work automatically / by built-in settings. I talked the TMobile tech support people into putting the conditional forwarding to my GV number on my account.

DrPain posted:

I read a thing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/31/leap_estimated_to_pay_apple_150_subsidy_for_contract_free_500_iphone_4s.html

I'm not well versed on phone technology, but would I be better off getting a 4s from cricket? By my maths and adjusted for sales tax, I'd be breaking even in about 10 months, and I plan to use the phone for much longer than than.

How does cricket network compare to att? Maybe I should be posting in the recommend me a phone thread.

Just make sure your math takes into account subsidies for the phone correctly and pro-rates EFT costs. The way the US system is rigged, prepaid doesn't save you an enormous amount if you plan to upgrade your phone roughly every two years anyway. Usually taking into account subsidies and EFT costs you'll not save all that much even over the long haul compared to using a subsidy on an iPhone and reselling (or using) it, and you might have to put up a few hundred more up-front, so sacrificing better phone service might well not be worth it.

The reasons to go prepaid in the US is more 1) philosophical objection to the shittiness of the currently rigged US phone system, since you SHOULD be able to save a lot on wholly-owned phones, 2) maybe moderate long-term savings, 3) fully owned, unlocked phones resell for higher amounts.

I love my Galaxy Nexus on the TMobile $30 plan, and it's certainly all I need/want, but if I wanted an iPhone 4S with good call service and lots of minutes, I'd probably look long and hard at a Verizon contract, especially if I could get on a family plan with someone else.

berzerker fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 31, 2012

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

berzerker posted:

The reasons to go prepaid in the US is more 1) philosophical objection to the shittiness of the currently rigged US phone system, since you SHOULD be able to save a lot on wholly-owned phones, 2) maybe moderate long-term savings, 3) fully owned, unlocked phones resell for higher amounts.

I love my Galaxy Nexus on the TMobile $30 plan, and it's certainly all I need/want, but if I wanted an iPhone 4S with good call service and lots of minutes, I'd probably look long and hard at a Verizon contract, especially if I could get on a family plan with someone else.

You're definitely right, but only in cases where someone buys a phone with a very large subsidy. Some of the phones sold by ATT, Sprint and Verizon carry really tiny subsidies (I'm looking at you feature phones) that end up being a terrible deal. If Verizon is lopping 400 dollars off the price of an iphone things aren't as bad. That said, if you're willing to buy a second-tier phone or get a nice phone second hand you can save a ton of money.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
Looking over at slick deals, those guys seem to be pretty enraptured with a wireless carrier called page plus that piggybacks on Verizon. Their best plan seems to be 1200 minutes, 3000 texts and 100 mb data for $30 a month, plus discounts by buying refill cards through calling mart or pindirectcell. I currently have an unlimited plan with metropcs but the service is so bad. Is page plus worth jumping through the hoops to save $10 a month? I'm fairly sure all those rates on the plan I wouldn't surpass, especially if I installed data throttlng apps.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I guess I need it dumbed down further. I don't understand what the difference is. So Google voicemail works if you let it ring through, but if you intentionally reject the call it doesn't?
It's not that it doesn't work, it's that T-Mobile is picking up before it has a chance to. If you don't answer the call, Google Voicemail answers. If you reject the call, T-Mobile's voicemail will answer. With postpaid plans you can use codes to redirect rejected calls to a different voicemail number, and the Google Voice app can send those codes automatically for you. With prepaid you can't do that, though as others have said you may be able to get T-Mobile customer service to set it up for you manually.

DrPain posted:

How does cricket network compare to att?
The short answer is "poorly". Coverage maps are linked in the OP, for Cricket's network you can basically use Sprint coverage maps. Also AT&T's network supports 4G (or at least "faux G") on the iPhone, while Cricket/Sprint's does not.

sublyme posted:

Looking over at slick deals, those guys seem to be pretty enraptured with a wireless carrier called page plus that piggybacks on Verizon. Their best plan seems to be 1200 minutes, 3000 texts and 100 mb data for $30 a month, plus discounts by buying refill cards through calling mart or pindirectcell. I currently have an unlimited plan with metropcs but the service is so bad. Is page plus worth jumping through the hoops to save $10 a month? I'm fairly sure all those rates on the plan I wouldn't surpass, especially if I installed data throttlng apps.
I think my advice here is to read through the OP and then ask again if you still have questions.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
The OP only covers the unlimited plan, I specifically asked about the 1200/3000/100 plan.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

You can't re-use your MetroPCS phone so you'd have to get a new phone, so at that point you should consider all of the services in the OP, not just Page Plus.

100MB is a pittance; I specifically avoided mentioning any plans with data allowance that tiny in the OP.

The current hot poo poo plan with goons is T-Mobile's $30/month/5GB plan. It combines one of the fastest networks, largest data allowances, and lowest price.

On the other hand Verizon's coverage basically can't be beat, and being on Page Plus gets you that.

Have you looked at the other options? Have you looked up coverage for your area? Do you have a specific question that isn't covered by the OP / the last two pages of the thread?

It sounds like you are requiring your monthly plan price to be less than $40 which limits you to just a few options. You might try to get into the Republic Wireless beta, which promises unlimited nationwide Sprint coverage for $19/month.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

berzerker posted:

The way the US system is rigged, prepaid doesn't save you an enormous amount if you plan to upgrade your phone roughly every two years anyway.

I worked out the following

24 Months of T Mobile @ $30 + $400 for a phone = $1120 per line
24 months of straight talk @ $45 + $400 for a phone = $1480 per line
24 months of Sprint EPRP family @ $135 (probably more after taxes) plus $400 for 2 phones = $3640 = $1820 per line.

Tmo is at least $1400 cheaper over 2 years, which seems pretty decent to me, if you can deal with the reduced minutes ($1400 buys a lot of minutes). Verizon and AT&T seem to be about $720 and $480 more than sprint over the 2 years.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 1, 2012

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

sanchez posted:

I worked out the following

24 Months of T Mobile @ $30 + $400 for a phone = $1120 per line
24 months of straight talk @ $45 + $400 for a phone = $1480 per line
24 months of Sprint EPRP family @ $135 (probably more after taxes) plus $400 for 2 phones = $3640 = $1820 per line.

Tmo is at least $1400 cheaper over 2 years, which seems pretty decent to me, if you can deal with the reduced minutes ($1400 buys a lot of minutes). Verizon and AT&T seem to be about $720 and $480 more than sprint over the 2 years.

I guess the math on iphones is different, especially if you can get a significantly better rate prepaid, but here's some talk if you were getting a Galaxy Nexus from the phones thread:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is a non-issue. Consider these two scenarios:

Physical goes month-to-month on AT&T, picks up a $399 GNex, he's out $399 now.

Physical gets a two-year contract on AT&T, an iPhone 4S for $199, flips it for $499, picks up a GNex for $399, he's out $99 now and on the hook for a $325 ETF.

Worst-case scenario: Physical loses his job tomorrow and must cancel his phone service to make ends meet. With a $325 ETF, he's out $424, which is only $25 worse than if he went month-to-month.

Reasonable, but still lovely scenario: Physical loses his job in three months and must cancel his phone service to make ends meet. Since the prorated ETF will be $295 after three months, he's out $394, which is $5 better than if he went month-to-month.

And if Physical loses his job in four months, six, year, whatever, it doesn't matter that he's on the hook for a contract because he still comes out ahead.

Long story short: if a Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint postpaid plan is best for you, you're far better off going on contract and getting a subsidized phone than buying unlocked and going month-to-month. Since the service rate doesn't change, you're throwing away money every month you don't make use of a subsidized upgrade.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

berzerker posted:

I guess the math on iphones is different, especially if you can get a significantly better rate prepaid, but here's some talk if you were getting a Galaxy Nexus from the phones thread:

The phone I was basing this on was the nexus (iphone would be a few hundred more expensive)

That post is saying you shouldn't go month to month on a postpaid plan, which makes perfect sense. Prepaid on the MVNO providers this thread is about is a different story.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
I guess what I've realized is, I don't talk so much that I need unlimited minutes/text, so I feel like I could save a bit on my phone bill and improve my coverage by going to page plus. But I do think 100 mbis a bit skimpy since I like to check email, facebook, etc. So ultimately I don't hate metro enough to pay more but is it even worth it trying to save if I lose my web ability? Guess I'm just looking for advice and hoping someone could chime in on page plus and how far 100 mb might take me if I install data throttling apps.

sublyme fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 1, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

sublyme posted:

and how far 100 mb might take me if I install data throttling apps.

In the last three weeks, I've used about 50 MB (according to Virgin mobile's website). This is very, very minor checking of email (maybe one or two with attachments), some Google Maps usage, a little bit MMS, and maybe some Yelp.

/Almost everything I use is on WiFi.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've used 53mb on something awful alone. 100mb would be pretty light use. You'd blow it with 8hrs of audio streaming for sure.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm wondering how the plans offering "unlimited" data (like the StraightTalk plans) get away with advertising it as such when according to this thread and all the info out there, that's not the case. People saying they've gotten warnings from downloading as little as two gigs, and getting cut off entirely for not much more than that. Obviously it's not any kind of 'breach of contract', like if Sprint cut you off suddenly for downloading 5 gigs, but surely it has to be some kind of false advertising?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering how the plans offering "unlimited" data (like the StraightTalk plans) get away with advertising it as such when according to this thread and all the info out there, that's not the case. People saying they've gotten warnings from downloading as little as two gigs, and getting cut off entirely for not much more than that. Obviously it's not any kind of 'breach of contract', like if Sprint cut you off suddenly for downloading 5 gigs, but surely it has to be some kind of false advertising?

"Unlimited" means that your accesss to it is unlimited - i.e. you can use it any time you want - not that you get an unlimited amount of it :downs:

I'm not kidding, it's seriously that retarded.

Edit: Or it's unlimited "within reasonable use" which is comepletely up to the cell phone company to define.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Yeah that's pretty asinine. Unlimited + throttling is dumb, but still a logical loophole. Unlimited with hard, undefined cutoffs is mindboggling.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After using Cricket for about 5 years before moving to Virgin Mobile and finally to Sprint, I can tell you that Cricket's internet is absolutely the worst I have ever encountered. It's slow, even before throttling.

The service is nice...only if you don't plan on leaving where you are. You won't get much help at their stores (which will usually have a really long wait) if your phone breaks down. In Omaha, they're the "ghetto" phone service.

Even with the iPhone, I wouldn't recommend my family to go to them. Most of them have moved to Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm coming from Australia to the US for 2 months in July.

I'm bring over my iPhone 4. I will be hitting up about a dozen states including a lot of the western states like Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho etc.

I am after decent data coverage during this two months for looking up things/maps every now and again when I'm around cities and also sending messages/voice over data (through things like whatsapp. I assume it will be cheaper).

I take it the best option is to go to a wal mart when im in New York (first place I'll be) and get that Straight Talk AT&T sim. I should have no problems right? It looks like I won't have service in a bunch of places but I kind of expected that when I'm going to the middle of nowhere.

I definitely won't be using more than 1-2GB a month.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Has anyone ever ordered something off of the VM website?

I tried ordering the HTC V, and got to the page with the confirmation number but... nothing in my e-mail.

Should I just wait around and see if it's shipping sometime this week or something? It's odd they wouldn't provide a receipt of some kind.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fists Up posted:

I take it the best option is to go to a wal mart when im in New York (first place I'll be) and get that Straight Talk AT&T sim. I should have no problems right?
Sorry, you have to order the SIM from straighttalksim.com, the sim-only kits aren't sold in Wal-Mart stores.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rastor posted:

Sorry, you have to order the SIM from straighttalksim.com, the sim-only kits aren't sold in Wal-Mart stores.

Ok then. Is there anyway to get it posted to Canada?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

straighttalksim.com will accept Canada billing, so it's shipping that's the issue. I don't know where you're staying, can they receive a package for you? Even many hotels would be willing to do that. Have a US friend who can receive it and send it to you? Or possibly you could use a remailing service like http://myusaddress.ca/, though that quickly gets expensive.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 2, 2012

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

FilthyImp posted:

I tried ordering the HTC V, and got to the page with the confirmation number but... nothing in my e-mail.

Should I just wait around and see if it's shipping sometime this week or something? It's odd they wouldn't provide a receipt of some kind.

I haven't tried ordering off the VM website before, and the lack of receipt sounds very strange, but I do know that some recent shipments of HTC phones coming to the states got held up in customs and only got out two or three days ago. Supposedly it's been affecting availability of the other new HTC phones (EVO 4g on boost and One X on ATT), so I'm assuming the whole fiasco surrounding actually getting an EVO V is related. Supposedly radioshack cancelled a bunch of online preorders for the phone due to not getting stock in time or something.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I ordered the LG Optimus V off of their site when it was new, I didn't get a receipt either.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Rastor posted:

straighttalksim.com will accept Canada billing, so it's shipping that's the issue. I don't know where you're staying, can they receive a package for you? Even many hotels would be willing to do that. Have a US friend who can receive it and send it to you? Or possibly you could use a remailing service like http://myusaddress.ca/, though that quickly gets expensive.

I'll probably just get it sent to where I'm staying in NYC then. I have family in Toronto (and i'll be staying there for a few weeks) buy know no one in the states which is why Canada was easiest.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I just switched to Straight Talk and bought a used, unlocked HTC G2. Straight Talk sent me an AT&T SIM card, even though I'm pretty sure I ordered a T-Mobile one. The sales rep I contacted said it wouldn't matter since the phone was unlocked. However, I haven't been able to get 3G, just 2G. I have no idea if these two issues are connected.

This is my first smartphone and I am an idiot at using it, so am I overlooking something really simple? The phone works fine for calling and text, and I can get online with it, just not at 3G speeds. Any ideas or suggestions?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The G2 was sold through T-Mobile and only supports the 3G frequencies T-Mobile uses. You need a T-Mobile SIM.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

Rastor posted:

The G2 was sold through T-Mobile and only supports the 3G frequencies T-Mobile uses. You need a T-Mobile SIM.

Thanks. Will contact them again and see if I can get a smarter sales rep who is willing to actually help me.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Straight Talk's bring your own phone SIM service runs on AT&T's network. They will provide a T-Mobile identifying SIM for SIM-locked T-Mobile phones, but it still uses AT&T's network.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

Doesn't TMo phone have the ATT band, which is 1900? Maybe the phone can flash a European ROM + baseband?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Straight Talk's bring your own phone SIM service runs on AT&T's network. They will provide a T-Mobile identifying SIM for SIM-locked T-Mobile phones, but it still uses AT&T's network.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Straight Talk offers service on all four major networks. A T-Mobile Straight Talk SIM will operate on T-Mobile's towers, with T-Mobile's 3G frequencies.

whatever7 posted:

Doesn't TMo phone have the ATT band, which is 1900? Maybe the phone can flash a European ROM + baseband?
Some more recent T-Mobile phones do support AT&T's UMTS bands, but the G2 isn't so recent. Flashing a ROM won't change that, it relates to chip/antenna configurations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
.nvm Rastor said it first. drat your editing skills.

• Locked thread