Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I had always kept the number of server connections as low as I can while still getting top speed, but when sab is checking nzb parts it is 10 times faster to use as many server connections as possible. So is there any good reason not to max out the number of connections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I don't know whether SAB does any caching or buffering to mitigate this, but at least a simple implementation of a multi-connection downloader would create a greater load on the disk and depending on a few factors may increase filesystem fragmentation.

Whether this is actually enough to be relevant, no idea.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, hoping to actually download stuff.

On the android side of things this app works nicely. Not sure about iOS

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm using SABConnect++ for Chrome, and even though the option is enabled there's no "send to SAB" link on NZB.su. I'm fairly sure this was working before. I'm using version 0.5.11.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Working here on 0.5.11. I'm not seeing any theme options on nzb.su, so that's not the problem. No idea why it wouldn't be working for you, but on my machine the buttons show up just left of the post title.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolrah posted:

Working here on 0.5.11. I'm not seeing any theme options on nzb.su, so that's not the problem. No idea why it wouldn't be working for you, but on my machine the buttons show up just left of the post title.

Your "to the left" comment got me searching, and apparently the icon shows up perfectly in List mode, but if you switch it to Covers mode it no longer works. Who should I report that to?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

wolrah posted:

I don't know whether SAB does any caching or buffering to mitigate this, but at least a simple implementation of a multi-connection downloader would create a greater load on the disk and depending on a few factors may increase filesystem fragmentation.

Whether this is actually enough to be relevant, no idea.

SAB has an option to buffer a certain user setable amount of parts to RAM before flushing it all to disk. I use 128MB for that setting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EC posted:

Your "to the left" comment got me searching, and apparently the icon shows up perfectly in List mode, but if you switch it to Covers mode it no longer works. Who should I report that to?

Official development was stopped for a time, but one of the devs picked it back up so for now it looks like the official development site is now here: https://github.com/gboudreau/sabconnectplusplus

There's an issue tracker there where you can submit it. If I find the free time I'll take a look at it and try my hand at a fix, but unlike a few months ago I'm not swimming in free time at the moment.

Goon Matchmaker posted:

SAB has an option to buffer a certain user setable amount of parts to RAM before flushing it all to disk. I use 128MB for that setting.

If it's set that high, I don't think connections will have any impact at all on disk usage then. It should be only writing out when it's done downloading an entire file based on normal splits.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolrah posted:

Official development was stopped for a time, but one of the devs picked it back up so for now it looks like the official development site is now here: https://github.com/gboudreau/sabconnectplusplus

There's an issue tracker there where you can submit it. If I find the free time I'll take a look at it and try my hand at a fix, but unlike a few months ago I'm not swimming in free time at the moment.

Thanks for the link. I added the issue to the tracker so we'll see what happens.

Has Sickbeard (running from Source) updated in the last few weeks? I haven't seen any, and just noticed an error in the log ("Git returned bad info, are you sure this is a git installation?") that makes me think something might be up, even though it was working fine before.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have a problem with the nzbdstatus add on for firefox, whenever I try to access the add on options I get this message:

Happens only in the 2.0 versions of the add on, the latest "official" one works ok, anyone have any ideas what the reason for this might be?

I got the latest Firefox and Win7 64bit.

EDIT: also using non-english firefox, could that be the cause?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
As someone who grew up with standard forums, can anyone tell me what Usenet offers that the www does not? I'm simply curious and considering seeing what it's all about, is it pretty much like a discussion forum but with an older average user? Is the quality of information and/or conversation different than I would see on SA, for instance?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

The Third Man posted:

As someone who grew up with standard forums, can anyone tell me what Usenet offers that the www does not? I'm simply curious and considering seeing what it's all about, is it pretty much like a discussion forum but with an older average user? Is the quality of information and/or conversation different than I would see on SA, for instance?

There's very little actual discussion on Usenet anymore. It exists, but it's been mostly replaced by forums and the like. You use Google Groups to browse what is out there, if you're interested.

Everything in this thread is about downloading various binaries.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

Yep. I guess because of their size/prevalence, Giga, and the dependents, seem to DMCA very quickly when the rights owner asserts it.

I'm thinking of doing a block plan on Astra to fix those issues, as many of the nzb site comments indicate no issues with downloads that have been removed from the Giga feed.

edit: Check out the comments on either nzbs.org or nzbmatrix to see if anything you would d/l is 'high profile'.

Definitely agree with this one. Some of the stuff I grab is like that and Giga/Super tend to nuke the whole post vs removing a few rar files. I removed my blocknews from SABnzbd due to this because I'd come back later with 8GB missing from my block.

A lot of comments on the NZB sites indicate that Astraweb is better for this with less harsh/complete DMCA takedowns overall, plus using their EU servers. I think I'll give them a shot this month and see if my Giga failed downloads work on their servers.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Roving Reporter posted:

Definitely agree with this one. Some of the stuff I grab is like that and Giga/Super tend to nuke the whole post vs removing a few rar files. I removed my blocknews from SABnzbd due to this because I'd come back later with 8GB missing from my block.

A lot of comments on the NZB sites indicate that Astraweb is better for this with less harsh/complete DMCA takedowns overall, plus using their EU servers. I think I'll give them a shot this month and see if my Giga failed downloads work on their servers.

I started out with Astraweb a few years ago, and after a while decided to sign up with Supernews to check out how Giganews' servers fared, but it was not a very pleasant experience. Supernews only got me about half the speed I'd gotten used to (I had a 50mbit connection at the time), and every other thing I tried to download turned out to be broken beyond repair, so when the subscription finally ended I ran crying back to papa Astra.

Lately, however, I've been using XS News, and while their retention can't compete with the big boys, they don't seem to have the completion problems you get with Giganews. The new-ish 1TB block plan over at Astraweb at almost half the price of Blocknews is tempting, though.

Quick question: how does NZBs.org compare to NZB.su? Probably won't be getting into the former anytime soon, but it'd be neat to know.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Keito posted:

Quick question: how does NZBs.org compare to NZB.su? Probably won't be getting into the former anytime soon, but it'd be neat to know.

The beta site NZBs.org is moving to is the exact same thing as NZB.su but with minor cosmetic differences. The main site seems to list the same content whenever I happen to be looking for stuff across multiple sites.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I've been using Supernews as my provider and usually getting links off of NZBMatrix and haven't had any trouble.. until recently. For some reason the vast majority of "send to sab" links always fail, but if I download the zip and add it to SAB manually, it works most of the time.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

zalmoxes posted:

I've been using Supernews as my provider and usually getting links off of NZBMatrix and haven't had any trouble.. until recently. For some reason the vast majority of "send to sab" links always fail, but if I download the zip and add it to SAB manually, it works most of the time.

What error do you get?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

zalmoxes posted:

That shouldn't be related to the Usenet provider, did your premium relationship at nzbmatrix run out or something?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I get the "» URL Fetching failed; Unusable NZB file, Try again " error all the time. It doesn't happen with every file I download, just very many.
I have VIP status on nzbmatrix and I use their API key in bot sabconnect and sabnzbd..

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It's because nzbmatrix is awful about stuff like this, try nzb.su and see if it works.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zalmoxes posted:

I get the "» URL Fetching failed; Unusable NZB file, Try again " error all the time. It doesn't happen with every file I download, just very many.
I have VIP status on nzbmatrix and I use their API key in bot sabconnect and sabnzbd..

I get these all the time, I just hit retry in SAB and it pulls them down.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Biggest human being Ever posted:

EDIT: also using non-english firefox, could that be the cause?

Not sure, but a strong possibility. Lots of UI changed in 2.0 and the translations have not been updated. Addons.mozilla.org won't approve it because of that, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's why it's failing for you.

I can think of a quick bodge job fix of just sticking English in all the translation files for the missing strings, then it would be a mix on non-English Firefoxes but it's better than not working.

Unfortunately on top of my lack of time mentioned earlier, my desktop released the magic smoke, so I can't say I'll be able to throw together anything soon.

If you're comfortable messing around with things, open the .xpi with a zip program and delete the translation files. I forget exactly where they are in the tree, but they're fairly easy to find. I think a manifest file also needs to be changed. That'll make it act as an English-only extension I think.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

wolrah posted:

If you're comfortable messing around with things, open the .xpi with a zip program and delete the translation files. I forget exactly where they are in the tree, but they're fairly easy to find. I think a manifest file also needs to be changed. That'll make it act as an English-only extension I think.

You were right, I removed all references to all the non english languages from the chrome.manifest file and now it works. Thanks so much for your help!

If anyone has the same problem I had, I uploaded my fixed version here: http://netload.in/dateikYwD4CUQ5D/nzbdstatus-2.0b6-fx.xpi.htm

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been seeing a lot of 810p stuff lately. Can someone explain to me what that is and why it's seemingly getting popular?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

EC posted:

I've been seeing a lot of 810p stuff lately. Can someone explain to me what that is and why it's seemingly getting popular?

Some old monitors and projectors use 810p(1440x600)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I always thought it was the result of someone typoing 1080p in a script.

Why the hell would anyone call 1440x600 810p? That'd be 600p.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

wolrah posted:

I have no idea, but a lot of 720p/1080p is actually not 720/1080 pixels high because the original had a wider aspect ratio than 16:9.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

I've been wondering about the weird 810p stuff for a while now.

After looking around for a while I found an explanation from the group/person that's doing it.

I used google translate for this and it didn't work too well but here's part of the explanation -

quote:

Encode the basic logic of doing a low size / high quality, good effort to keep the optimizing. (Based on the market from time to time, though forgotten.) Using the same logic or higher than previously çöznürlükler Anamorphic use when you encode 480p, which is a big effect on the quality may enable QPel GMC could use a different matrix. However, we believe users of our facilities DivXPlayer (1Mbit internet, DivXPlayer etc.) çabasındaydık doing our best.

Mkv Players emergence and spread of velocities increase, due to slippage on the overall demand for 720p 720p and 1080p encodelere began. As with every release, we used group works interest in this area has been the first riplerimiz inexperience.

In addition, we are forced to because of - 540p xvid and x264 resolution encodelere started dropping.

Our goal is always the same bitrate in the quality of their thinking about adding a few setting arşivimizede 810p with higher quality results than we have observed that the 720p. And I wanted to share as gratuitous as usual.

1080p is better quality than relative. Because almost all of the groups that 1080p is encoded as a scene. Porfili x264 Encode the heaviest use during the 7-8 hours to encode a good machine with a filter process ends when the 24 hours when you can find it. There also will use a combination of which filter to encode group which encode the scene, did not say the media can sometimes be tracking hours with the denemelerede girmezler.Bununla type, screen size, resolution, brand name, the display settings to change in terms of viewing experience is a factor in size next to it açacaktır.Tabi .

It sounds like they are saying they use 810p because it is higher quality than 720p in the same file size? It also sounds like they use filters to improve the quality?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

nap.app posted:

It sounds like they are saying they use 810p because it is higher quality than 720p in the same file size? It also sounds like they use filters to improve the quality?

Could be, but isn't that what they were previously çöznürlükler?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

wolrah posted:

I was really thinking there were some bad typists out there.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 8, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

wolrah posted:

720p is 1280x720. Vertical resolution is being discarded if a movie is shot at a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, so that 720p movie would be at a resolution of 1280x544.

Displaying a 1280x544 picture on the common 1440x600 screen size is just a bit too much upscaling, in their opinion, I guess.

1440x600 (2.4:1) is quite close to 2.35:1. So they are encoding such movies at the slightly higher resolution so that they get the best possible quality on their laptop screens.

In the end, they're watching movies on their laptops, which is just silly I think.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Got it. I guess if your hard drives are so packed that you can't fit real 1080p content (which is barely larger if encoded well) yet you can't stand upscaling 720p on your budget LCD (good PC LCDs start at 1680x1050), go for it.

It seems like it's just one release group doing this, so it's pretty much irrelevant to the rest of us (like the people who were still posting VCD/SVCD content even in the last few years), it's just weird.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I saw them too and we decided it was most likely due to cropping blackspace on movies that are wider than 1.85:1. It seems pointless so just ignore them, it's not going to standardise or anything like that.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

So this is happening.

(Also, it looks like as of 0.7 the web UI is no longer considered by us to be "friendly".)

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

inpheaux posted:

So this is happening.

(Also, it looks like as of 0.7 the web UI is no longer considered by us to be "friendly".)

So what are the features? Hopefully more intelligent usage of backup servers?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

paradigmm posted:

Well obviously a hard to use interface :spergin:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I hope it has a thing where I can click on a finished download and open the corresponding folder.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Is there any chance you guys would be able to add the ability to drag and drop a NZB file onto the web interface? Other than that, thank you for all your hard work and awesome app.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I hope it has a thing where I can click on a finished download and open the corresponding folder.
I don't recall seeing that in the roadmap and I don't know how high of a priority a feature that doesn't use SABnzbd as a web service would be.

If you want it quick and dirty, I think you could try just sticking a link to "file://C:/Windows/explorer.exe $line.path" in history.tmpl and trusting yourself to know when you're in front of the right machine or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

paradigmm posted:

Release Notes