Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I am about to run out of space on my 1TB drive. Is there a simple way to get two physical drives to APPEAR as one in windows? Right now I use the storage mostly for media to be viewed on XBMC, and it would be easiest to keep all my video media on one share so my XBMC setup isn't complicated.
Easy! What you want is a spanned volume and while that link is for Vista, I'm pretty sure it works just the same in XP. If you don't think you're going to run out of space quickly, there's also always the option of just buying a 2TB drive for $110 or so and calling it a day.

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Second question: with my 600W power supply, two drives, and a 8600gts (that is rarely used), do I have the power for another 1TB drive? The 1TB I copy to right now is an external with its own supply.
As a point of comparison, I push an overclocked i5-2500k, a Radeon 7950, three drives and some assorted other junk off a 550W PSU. You could probably run your setup off a 300W PSU and still have room for more HDDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

DrDork posted:

Easy! What you want is a spanned volume and while that link is for Vista, I'm pretty sure it works just the same in XP. If you don't think you're going to run out of space quickly, there's also always the option of just buying a 2TB drive for $110 or so and calling it a day.

As a point of comparison, I push an overclocked i5-2500k, a Radeon 7950, three drives and some assorted other junk off a 550W PSU. You could probably run your setup off a 300W PSU and still have room for more HDDs.

Beautiful. Thanks a lot. I heard about spanned drives in another thread, but I was warned against it because if one drive fails I could lose files that were spread across both.

I also did buy a 2TB for $109.99 on Amazon :)

Glad I have the room to spare on my PSU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, I run 3 caviar blacks, a 750gb IBM OS drive and an AMD 3.8ghz dual core mobo off a 300 watt PSU with the fan 7volted, and it does just fine. Spinup is where you see the most juice anwyays - motor start current is way higher than run current.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's the reason drive arrays have staggered startup patterns (and it takes loving ages). You can get away with much smaller PS'es when you're not trying to spin up all your platters at the same time.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Why I hate unRAID

quote:

This starts a new method of reporting Issues with a release...

Issue Reporting Instructions

To report a Defect or request an Enhancement, first please browse this board for a similar report or request. If you are sure your issue is unique, please follow this procedure:

So they decided to implement a new way to request enhancements in release candidates of the software. So 5.0 will probably be delayed again if they start in on the enhancements.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I think I have a sickness. I just built a DIY JBOD case for my current ZFS file server to expand into. I have a Norco 20 bay SAS case, and it's currently full of delicious drives, and the arrays are getting into the 85% usage category. So now I have the Norco 4024 24 bay SAS case, loaded it with a retarded 64gb Hyper-V virtualization machine, and grabbed a chenbro 36 port expander to run a SAS 8088 cable between the two cases. Now it Need to somehow justify 6-10 2TB or 3TB drives to start the expansion into.

Stupid 'needs to simulate an entire microsoft server network' requirement needing 10k iops and 2 TB of disk space.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 26, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
10K IOps and 2TB of space? That almost sounds like a bunch of SSDs would be better and cheaper. You'd need a truly ridiculous number of hard drives for 10K IOps.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Factory Factory posted:

10K IOps and 2TB of space? That almost sounds like a bunch of SSDs would be better and cheaper. You'd need a truly ridiculous number of hard drives for 10K IOps.

ZFS to the rescue. L2ARC and ZIL/SLOG allow you to have dedicated SSD read and write caches. For Synchronous writes, they're buffered to the SSD so POSIX complaint sync writes complete fast as gently caress, and for reads, you can have SSDs cache recently used data and serve it up stupid quick. And since it's a copy-on-write system, it'll just aggregate all those random writes and spin them onto disk as whole stripe sequential writes.

Currently I have an 8 disk raid6 (using godawful WD green drives) that will push 8-14k IOPS once the cache is warm over iSCSI. The new Corsair F3 SSDs are stupid loving quick.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What exactly is so bad about WD Green?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
A history of poor reliability because of their extremely aggressive R/W head parking settings, especially in RAID arrays. You can use the wdidle3.exe tool to increase the delay before head parking or or disable it outright, so it's not the world's biggest issue any more as long as you're feeling a bit tweaky.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Inspector_71 posted:

What exactly is so bad about WD Green?

They're the advanced format ones, with the really early firmware, so if you don't force the filesystem to use 4k blocks and don't align your partitions properly, you can run into some horrible issues with read-modify-write.

And the head parking thing, oh GOD the head parking thing. I ended up running the array 24.7 for 3 days, and ended up with over 700 head parks according to SMART. It was literally parking the heads every 4 loving minutes.

wdidle.exe fixed all that. Thank gently caress.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Factory Factory posted:

A history of poor reliability because of their extremely aggressive R/W head parking settings, especially in RAID arrays. You can use the wdidle3.exe tool to increase the delay before head parking or or disable it outright, so it's not the world's biggest issue any more as long as you're feeling a bit tweaky.

I figured it was something related to the "power saving" poo poo, I just wanted to know for sure.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I don't believe you can even use wdidle on the newer green drives. Am I wrong?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I have a Synology DS211J which generally works like magic, however notifications aren't working. I had it setup to send them via GMAIL's SMTP server to my GMAIL account but it stopped working and no matter the settings I try, it fails to work.

I believe the DSM software has a built in SMTP server for sending outgoing mail and I'm wondering if I can configure that (the internal mail server) to send me my notifications and if so how I go about doing it.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Your correct, it will only work on the non EARS models.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreeNAS 8.2.0-BETA3 is currently running on my N36L along with transmission and flexget in a jail, and I'm looking into setting up minidlna or serviio - and I must say that I'm very impressed with the way the plugin system works.

EDIT: Learn from my mistake, don't ever enable autotune or serial console by intent or accident (respectively, in my case). I'm stuck at the freebsd boot0 series of the bootstage and can't get out until someone more clever than me helps me. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 29, 2012

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

This might not be the thread for this question, but is apple doing anything to combat bit rot? I know MS is going to ReFS, Linux looks to be going to Btrfs, and ZFS is currently the goto file system for preventing Bit Rot or Bit flip.

I have not see anything that says apple is going to improve HFS+ or move to something else. I know they were looking at ZFS for a while, but then it was pulled out of the OS.

I know a few people that use mac mini's as their home server with attached storage and I would not feel safe putting massive amounts of storage into play without some sort of protection like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's no online data integrity assurance in HFS+. It's a tired old FS that's constantly had poo poo bolted on top of it. As well as TM works, its bowels are terrifying.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

badjohny posted:

This might not be the thread for this question, but is apple doing anything to combat bit rot? I know MS is going to ReFS, Linux looks to be going to Btrfs, and ZFS is currently the goto file system for preventing Bit Rot or Bit flip.

I have not see anything that says apple is going to improve HFS+ or move to something else. I know they were looking at ZFS for a while, but then it was pulled out of the OS.

I know a few people that use mac mini's as their home server with attached storage and I would not feel safe putting massive amounts of storage into play without some sort of protection like that.
Apple might've pulled their fingers out of the zfs cookie jar so to speak, but I know of at least one who's got (I believe) +10TB on zfs on a Mac file server for his company which is running just fine (and a newer version than I currently am, as FreeNAS seem to be taking their sweet rear end time moving to v28)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

+10TB on zfs on a Mac file server for his company which is running just fine
With Zevo?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

IT Guy posted:

I just did it last week based on someone else' instructions, and it does explicitly say only for these three model numbers but it works fine, and their instructions were for the same drive, the WD20EARS 2TB model.

http://www.storagereview.com/how_stop_excessive_load_cycles_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_wdidle3

Viktor posted:

Your correct, it will only work on the non EARS models.

Well, dammit. I know I didn't break it, as it's working fine, but I'd be interested to find out what exactly is the correct answer. After running it, my drive reports a time of 62 minutes, whereas before it was something like 8 seconds.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 29, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

With Zevo?
He's in the beta of it, yes - 6x3TB.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/hard-drive-supplies-back-to-pre-flood-levels-but-prices-arent/

Interesting article on Ars Technica - hard drive supplies are back to normal, but prices aren't. With only 3 companies selling drives, I'm not sure that competition (and prices) will ever be as fierce as it was pre-flood.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Ughhh I've still been patiently waiting for prices to drop a bit more so I can finally get some drives in my N40L, I guess I might as well bite the bullet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's an enormous capacity backlog to make up though.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

So my old Acer EasyStore WHS is getting weird, it dropped a drive out of the pool for no reason and refused to put it back(the drive had nothing wrong with it) and its not streaming files well anymore. They start to slow down and then lockup after ~10min of playback, seeking takes forever and can lockup MPC. I've got most of it backed up so I'm looking for other options to use my current hardware and 6 mismatched drives (3 1tb and 3 1.5tb).

I think I can install WHS 2011 on it, but without drive pooling I'd have nothing but a bunch of drives. Could I even put freeNAS on it, would it run well with the limited hardware? 2 of the NTFS drives are full and would need to be migrated over as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jigoku San posted:

So my old Acer EasyStore WHS is getting weird, it dropped a drive out of the pool for no reason and refused to put it back(the drive had nothing wrong with it) and its not streaming files well anymore. They start to slow down and then lockup after ~10min of playback, seeking takes forever and can lockup MPC. I've got most of it backed up so I'm looking for other options to use my current hardware and 6 mismatched drives (3 1tb and 3 1.5tb).

I think I can install WHS 2011 on it, but without drive pooling I'd have nothing but a bunch of drives. Could I even put freeNAS on it, would it run well with the limited hardware? 2 of the NTFS drives are full and would need to be migrated over as well.
You could easily put FreeNAS on it - it's designed to run on anything from very slow hardware to very fast hardware. The N36L which is only 1.3GHz with hyperthreading is definitely fast enough for samba sharing over LAGG'd 2x1Gbps NIC interface.
I would recommend making two vdevs in one pool though, one with 3x1TB and one with 3x1.5TB - if you make a raidz2 with 6 drives you'd only get the minimum capacity (1TB)*5.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

D. Ebdrup posted:

I would recommend making two vdevs in one pool though, one with 3x1TB and one with 3x1.5TB - if you make a raidz2 with 6 drives you'd only get the minimum capacity (1TB)*5.
As someone who hasn't played around with multiple vdevs, I'm curious how they work in relation to parity space. With RaidZ do you lose one drive's space from each vdev, or just the largest drive from all of the vdevs assigned to a pool? Because if it's the former, then in his case it doesn't matter since you'd be getting a collective 5TB either way.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DrDork posted:

As someone who hasn't played around with multiple vdevs, I'm curious how they work in relation to parity space. With RaidZ do you lose one drive's space from each vdev, or just the largest drive from all of the vdevs assigned to a pool? Because if it's the former, then in his case it doesn't matter since you'd be getting a collective 5TB either way.

It's the first one. Each vdev is a separate array. When multiple vdevs are put into a pool, the data is striped across each vdev, but other than that they're completely independent.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Would I be able to create the vdevs with 2x1tb and 2x1.5tb and add the 3rd drives after I add data? Or is everything else gonna have to be moved elsewhere? Not a problem, just time consuming.

Ugh, reading up on freeNAS + Easystore is getting to some hacker level poo poo. (Install Guide.) Just have to make that VGA dev cable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Jigoku San posted:

Would I be able to create the vdevs with 2x1tb and 2x1.5tb and add the 3rd drives after I add data? Or is everything else gonna have to be moved elsewhere? Not a problem, just time consuming.

Gotta move. You can't modify a vdev after creation (other than mirror it), you can only create and destroy.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The way to do it would be to put your data on 2 drives of identical capacity, create 1 vdev for your pool, put your data on there, then create the second vdev and add that to the pool.

I don't think Z1 is ever a good idea but ymmv.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I bought a synology DS212J a few days ago and the thing crashes 2 to 3 times a day. I'm sending it back but I need a suggestion for a replacement. I currently only run one drive and id like the setup to be able to run Sab/SB and serve videos to my WDTV boxes. I like the synology software but I'm also very comfortable in Linux too. Any ideas would be great.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Most people at that level seem to be flipping a coin between Synology and QNAP, so you may want to look into their offerings.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nask26 posted:

I bought a synology DS212J a few days ago and the thing crashes 2 to 3 times a day. I'm sending it back but I need a suggestion for a replacement. I currently only run one drive and id like the setup to be able to run Sab/SB and serve videos to my WDTV boxes. I like the synology software but I'm also very comfortable in Linux too. Any ideas would be great.

As Jonny said, Qnap is pretty good too.

You can go the roll your own route for about a hundred more than the cost of a DS212J (assuming you're reusing the hard drives). Gives you more flexibility if you're comfortable tinkering, and APT makes it drat simple to get SMB, SB, and Sab up in about 5 minutes.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

As Jonny said, Qnap is pretty good too.

You can go the roll your own route for about a hundred more than the cost of a DS212J (assuming you're reusing the hard drives). Gives you more flexibility if you're comfortable tinkering, and APT makes it drat simple to get SMB, SB, and Sab up in about 5 minutes.

I would prefer to roll my own I think at this point. The box the synology was supposed to replace was a Ubuntu server setup I've had for years and finally bit the dust. I was looking at one of those cheap foxconn e-350 setups, what hardware were you referring too at 100$ more? I would be interested in that. thanks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nask26 posted:

I would prefer to roll my own I think at this point. The box the synology was supposed to replace was a Ubuntu server setup I've had for years and finally bit the dust. I was looking at one of those cheap foxconn e-350 setups, what hardware were you referring too at 100$ more? I would be interested in that. thanks
One of the barebones systems listed on newegg with 2 drive bays. Add ram and a cheap CPU and you should be close to 299 (I'm going by a google search that lists your synology unit at 199). If you're going into hardware raid cards or oodles of capacity you're looking at more. But a 2 drive setup isn't that expensive to build.

Echostorm
Apr 7, 2003

I've written a small monograph upon the subject...
I've been using the old WHS on an HP Mediasmart for several years now. Since I was stupid and didn't pay attention I could only expand via USB to enclosures. It also only came with a 100Mbps NIC and spotty support for AF drives and none for 3TB.

I tried the Release Preview of Windows Server 8 and think the drive pooling and data deduplication are where I want to go in the future. With the price of drives I'll just stick with what I've got for now but I'd really like to build a box that can support at least 8+ drives, keep them cool under load and support 3TB. An Ivy Bridge proc would be nice but I'm a bit overwhelmed as to what PSU, cables, case and fans I'd need to buy. Money isn't a huge problem, I'd just like something robust that I'll be able to depend on to stream media to 2 HTPCs, recieve backups from my PCs and be relatively future proof in terms of power and expansion be it from PCIe or eSata.

Suggestions for parts, links to builds would be appreciated.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

N40L? Processor is weak but you hardly need any CPU to serve files to HTPCs.

$200 on frequent sale, spend the money you saved on bath salts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you do any transcoding you could run into a problem using a server like the N40L. There's a more expensive option from Acer sporting a Xeon E3-1220 that would do the job just fine for almost any transcoding job. It does seem silly at a point to have so many machines about the place to consume media mostly but it's about the only way to scale out alright.