Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

MiniFoo posted:

They can always just integrate a small screen into the rearview mirror for the backup camera, you know.

What the NHTSA should be requiring, in my opinion, is a high-mounted, front-facing brake light (i.e., top-center of the windshield) so that drivers (or pedestrians!) can know if another vehicle approaching them is braking or not. Useful for idiots that want to turn left across the oncoming traffic lane (or right, for those of you in England/Japan/Australia/etc.) and don't use their goddamn turn signals.

I'm cool with the rearview mirror screen, I guess. The link I posted said 45% or so of vehicles sold now have them standard, but I still don't think it needs to be 100%. Unfortunately there's no good way to determine which do or do not. I just don't want people to rely on it.

I think third brake lights should flash ONCE before going solid. They sell flasher units for $15-$20 that take 10 minutes to install, and it is so much more noticeable when someone in front of you has them. This does present the issue of red flashing lights, though....

Also,

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you been in a modern sedan recently? Rear visibility is terrible.

My car has *the* C-pillar. I'm not in any position to compare, since everything looks so good to me! :v:

I'm just extra careful when I'm on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MiniFoo posted:

Do you think that the third brake light requirement is useless? Honestly curious.

No, but that is because it improves visibility of the brake lights within the driver's sight line when approaching a braking vehicle from the rear. What the gently caress good is a front mounted brake light?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nerdrum posted:

Good bye, Mini Cooper that likes to burn 3 quarts of oil a month and hello Korean Goddess

Well hello new Korean car buddy. I just picked this up about an hour ago:

2012 Kia Optima SX.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I'm noticing that now. Kinda sucks. Also with the side mirrors in my other cars, I never understood why it said objects are closer than they appear because everything looked pretty in proportion, but for some reason in this car things look really tiny in those mirrors.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Getting this repainted on Tuesday:

Very happy to have it looking new.
I love your Monte Carlo and I'm going to miss mine. It's the black one in that photo. I didn't bother trading it in since I wouldn't get jack for it, but now that I think about selling it myself on craigslist I'm starting to realize all the little things that are wrong with it and I don't know if it's worth that trouble either. I might just clean it up and see what Carmax will give me.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

MiniFoo posted:

Do you think that the third brake light requirement is useless? Honestly curious.

My favourite is lazy manufacturers that have a fourth brake light. They leave the back window unit in place and then add a spoiler with it's own light on it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

salt the fries! posted:

I think third brake lights should flash ONCE before going solid. They sell flasher units for $15-$20 that take 10 minutes to install, and it is so much more noticeable when someone in front of you has them. This does present the issue of red flashing lights,

I like the idea of pressure sensitive lighting on the rear. Like full-pressure is amazingly bright versus the normal high illumination level for regular braking.

I usually double or triple tap the brakes when traffic is stopping in front of me on the highways to make sure my little Miata gets noticed before becoming the cream filling between two trucks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

I like the idea of pressure sensitive lighting on the rear. Like full-pressure is amazingly bright versus the normal high illumination level for regular braking.

I usually double or triple tap the brakes when traffic is stopping in front of me on the highways to make sure my little Miata gets noticed before becoming the cream filling between two trucks.
I like that some of the newer Euro cars will put the emergency lights on when you have an "OH poo poo" braking episode.

It's pretty hilarious on the track too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Newer Mercedes', BMWs and other luxury cars have various ways to signal hard braking, like flashing the brake lights at twice the speed of the indicators, turning on additional brake lights or just making the lights brighter.

Luckily, I haven't seen it in action yet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MiniFoo posted:

They can always just integrate a small screen into the rearview mirror for the backup camera, you know.

What the NHTSA should be requiring, in my opinion, is a high-mounted, front-facing brake light (i.e., top-center of the windshield) so that drivers (or pedestrians!) can know if another vehicle approaching them is braking or not. Useful for idiots that want to turn left across the oncoming traffic lane (or right, for those of you in England/Japan/Australia/etc.) and don't use their goddamn turn signals.

[edit] Hell, how can I research to see if that idea's been patented yet? Easy get-rich-quick scheme, perhaps? :v:

or... they could use their goddamn turn signals.

I would like a pressure sensitive brake switch - press real hard and it flashes the brake lights / sets the emergency lights, press gently while traveling at over 30mph for more than one minute and it turns on the horn. Maybe people would stop riding the brakes if their cars beeped at them for it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

davebo posted:

I love your Monte Carlo and I'm going to miss mine. It's the black one in that photo. I didn't bother trading it in since I wouldn't get jack for it, but now that I think about selling it myself on craigslist I'm starting to realize all the little things that are wrong with it and I don't know if it's worth that trouble either. I might just clean it up and see what Carmax will give me.

Thanks!

I had another before this one that had been in the family for almost twenty years, but 6 of them were spent wasting away in a backyard. I bought this one since I thought it'd be better than trying to bring that one to life.

Luckily for me, a more technical friend bought the old one off of me and is turning it into his project! We are going to hit a car show together in August.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you been in a modern sedanCamaro recently? Rear visibility is terrible.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but even though I specifically mentioned SUVs and trucks they certainly aren't the only vehicles out there with terrible visibility.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Here is my former car:

Started up after 4 years of sitting there after nothing more than a battery swap. Same gas from may 2008.

Drove it to its new home.

And cleaned it up!

I took the original rims off of that car, and my friend put those gold camaro ones that he had uformerly used on a 1987 monte Carlo LS he had. The original rims are as gunned up and gross as the car was, but they are going to be restored.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 31, 2012

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

kastein posted:

With that reasoning (assuming that all drivers are responsible enough to operate their cars in accordance to the law), let me provide an example:

kastein posted:

press gently while traveling at over 30mph for more than one minute and it turns on the horn. Maybe people would stop riding the brakes if their cars beeped at them for it.

People wouldn't ride their brakes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No, but that is because it improves visibility of the brake lights within the driver's sight line when approaching a braking vehicle from the rear. What the gently caress good is a front mounted brake light?

The same principle of having rear-view cameras, DRLs or front-mounted turn signals, maybe? You know... because it "improves visibility"? I really don't want to turn this into a slippery slope, but this is like saying "Man, if everybody could read everyone else's mind on the road, we wouldn't need any safety equipment!" It's just another idea for making vehicles safer for other drivers and pedestrians; I don't know why it seemed so offensive to you guys. Sorry for the thread hijack.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The slippery slope argument is retarded.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
With a lot of cars coming with a nav setup, the screen is usually there anyways.

If you like not having driver assists, buy used. :smug:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like that some of the newer Euro cars will put the emergency lights on when you have an "OH poo poo" braking episode.

It's pretty hilarious on the track too.

Yeah my peugeot does that. Its a nice feature but sometimes a bit overenthusiastic. Its a bit embarrassing having your hazards on just because someone cut you off and you had to brake hard.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Or you can run them down :black101:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Only if you don't know how to properly set your mirrors. If you have them pointed down the side of your car so you can see your rear tire, you are doing it wrong.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

kastein posted:

I would like a pressure sensitive brake switch - press real hard and it flashes the brake lights / sets the emergency lights, press gently while traveling at over 30mph for more than one minute and it turns on the horn. Maybe people would stop riding the brakes if their cars beeped at them for it.

Some Volvo models actually have fog taillights on a switch that increases the brightness in fog conditions.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My 550i has the adaptive brake lamps. It does work, and I think more cars do need it. I am sure it wouldn't take but a few lines of code into the computer system.

My Rover has the rear fog lamps thing. I never understood it until I put them on one night... it really makes the car stand out.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My 550i has the adaptive brake lamps. It does work, and I think more cars do need it. I am sure it wouldn't take but a few lines of code into the computer system.

My Rover has the rear fog lamps thing. I never understood it until I put them on one night... it really makes the car stand out.

Rear fog lights are mandatory in the UK, and Rover almost certainly didn't have the tooling to make them optional on export cars.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

_firehawk posted:

Only if you don't know how to properly set your mirrors. If you have them pointed down the side of your car so you can see your rear tire, you are doing it wrong.

The number of people who do this is staggering. Driver's Ed has failed us all. The above is one of the first things I learned from AI way, way back when. I've set my mirrors properly ever since and it makes a world of difference in any car I've been in.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Also you shouldn't be able to see your car in your side mirrors.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

b0nes posted:

This is correct. When a car passes from outside of your side view mirror, it should be visible in your peripheral.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

b0nes posted:

My favourite part of driving my AW11 was that rear-view was filled with the massive stock rear spoiler. :3:

Everytime I looked back, I smiled with how 80s that OEM body kit is.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

b0nes posted:

I guess I never thought about this. I always set my mirrors so I can just see the side of the car I'm driving for some sort of reference. I have split "euro" blind spot mirrors though, so I can pretty much see all approaching traffic.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Wamsutta posted:

The number of people who do this is staggering. Driver's Ed has failed us all. The above is one of the first things I learned from AI way, way back when. I've set my mirrors properly ever since and it makes a world of difference in any car I've been in.
They don't teach how to set up mirrors in driver's ed in the US? In Germany, you can even fail the test if you don't set them up properly and that means a nice couple hundred bucks down the drain.

DropShadow posted:

I guess I never thought about this. I always set my mirrors so I can just see the side of the car I'm driving for some sort of reference. I have split "euro" blind spot mirrors though, so I can pretty much see all approaching traffic.
Actually, that's how I learned it, too. I have the edge of the car just barely visible in the inner corners.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

parrhesia posted:

They don't teach how to set up mirrors in driver's ed in the US?

They do, but most people forget what they were taught as soon as the course ends and then configure the side mirrors as if they need three different mirrors showing directly behind them.

Then they back out of spots without looking in any of them, of course.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
The strangest blindspot to me is front right. If I am at a stop sign for instance, if there is a car waiting at the stop sign to my right, I cannot see it because it is blocked by my rearview mirror. If a car approaches at the same time as me I'll never see it. Another is front left, where left turns are blocked by the left A pillar.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I too have a blind spot on the front right, but mine is caused my my center rearview mirror basically blocking all the traffic coming from the right.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

_firehawk posted:

I too have a blind spot on the front right, but mine is caused my my center rearview mirror basically blocking all the traffic coming from the right.

In many cars that can be fixed by adjusting your seat position.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Oxphocker posted:

Some don't have enough up-down adjustment. I couldn't figure out a way to not have a blindspot for merging cars in the E39 I drove thanks to the really thick rearview mirror.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

MiniFoo posted:

[edit] Hell, how can I research to see if that idea's been patented yet? Easy get-rich-quick scheme, perhaps? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcT4zOB0U_A&t=376s

How about LED light bars like the Formula D cars have so the judges can see if they brake check the guy behind them.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

D C posted:

How about LED light bars like the Formula D cars have so the judges can see if they brake check the guy behind them.

:aaa: This is exactly what I was trying to describe even though I had no idea it had already been done.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MiniFoo posted:

:aaa: This is exactly what I was trying to describe even though I had no idea it had already been done.

How would those help in normal driving situations? I think I might benefit from some sort of forward-facing throttle meter display than a forward brake light.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Oxphocker posted:

I am not fond of leaning back, and my seat is already as low as it goes. That said I am 6'2" and the mirror is still a problem.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

My M3. I love this car. Not much has changed since I've owned it. Fog light covers, and that's about it. It's my DD now, though I want to get something else for winters cause I don't want to drive it in winters anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

_firehawk posted:

I am not fond of leaning back, and my seat is already as low as it goes. That said I am 6'2" and the mirror is still a problem.

I have the same problem. My second-gen RX-7 was not built for tall guys - the center rearview is right in my way when I'm at a four-way stop. I pretty much just duck and look under it or lean forward to look around it.
I wish I could get the seat an inch or two lower - a big bump puts my head into the roof, and I've got the seat leaned back a few notches. Any more and it's uncomfortable and starts to get difficult to reach the steering wheel.
Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with blind spots - I adjust my mirrors the way I saw it done in an article in Car And Driver, I believe: basically the side view mirrors only overlap the view in the center mirror by a little. It puts the side views pointing almost straight back with respect to the car, so if a car passes out of view of the center mirror, it should be in the side view, and if it passes out of view of the side view, you should be able to see it in your peripheral vision, or by by turning your head just a little. Using this setup, I'm only surprised by cars when I'm distracted (which does happen occasionally, and I feel extremely stupid when it happens.)

e: found the graphic:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 4, 2012

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Finally had a break from shooting photos for everyone else and took some new ones of my own car:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Just arrived in Connecticut to buy this and drive it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DropShadow posted:

Just arrived in Connecticut to buy this and drive it home.

That's beautiful man. Please take tons of pictures and make a return trip thread.