Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So I got one of these when they first came out cause I wanted to use it to stream movies from my computer to my TV but I've got not the time nor the patience to learn how to set it up. So if any of you goons wanna buy it, they shipped it today and should be here in a couple days. I'll sell it to you for what I bought it for which is $35 bucks plus the price of shipping. Just lemme know if you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shane-O-Mac
May 24, 2006

Hypnopompic bees are extra scary. They turn into guns.

OptimusMatrix posted:

So I got one of these when they first came out cause I wanted to use it to stream movies from my computer to my TV but I've got not the time nor the patience to learn how to set it up. So if any of you goons wanna buy it, they shipped it today and should be here in a couple days. I'll sell it to you for what I bought it for which is $35 bucks plus the price of shipping. Just lemme know if you want it.

Is it the model B? I would be interested as long as the shipping isn't too much. How much do you think it would cost to ship to NH?

Edit: Oh, and my email is theshanetrain3 at gmail, if you prefer to talk that way.

Shane-O-Mac fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 2, 2012

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

I am very interested since I am planning on using this for a senior design project. email is kevin.70cuda at gmail dot com

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Got my pi, just deciding if it's going to be my caravan's remote sentry or a media centre at home

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Mine is installed with Debian on an 8GB card and currently acts as a downloader for my server backups. I've installed Apache on it, and as soon as my Xbox camera arrives it'll be a remote office monitor with web interface.

It runs fine from a BlackBerry phone charger which outputs the required 700mA.

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

PM sent...

I still have my Commodore 64, and when Jack Tramiel passed earlier this year, I pulled it out of the closet and have been hacking around on it for the past few months. Thanks to the still-vibrant scene, I've got it talking on the intarwebs via ethernet, and finding all kinds of things to run on it. :filez:

One of the things I keep bumping into is the fact that, despite how much development has continued in the past couple decades, I'm still hacking around on a 30-year-old platform. It will never be useful/valuable beyond the novelty of using something that old to do something (anything) practical. There are folks out there that run web-servers on stock C64s, but I'm not sure I see the long-term value in that.

The RaspberryPi, on the other hand, seems an eminently hackable platform that can be turned into something noteworthy. There are lots of good ideas what to do with this, and I'm having some of my own ideas (a web-server frontend to heyu to run the lights in the house) what to do with this.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

Very nice of you to make this offer. I almost took you up on it but I have so many things to get to before I can play with an r.pi in good conscience.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
^^^ Nice.

I just received mine. I'm lacking a HDMI->DVI converter, so I'll have to hook it up to my TV when I get home.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Decided upon a remote sentry (access point, comms centre, sensor array) for my caravan.

So far:

Enabled SSH
Changed start.elf to high ram allocated to CPU
apt-get upgrade
Installed Samba

Looking into RPI.GPIO for Python

It's a neat bit of kit. Wouldn't recommend the default Debian install for use as a desktop PC - too slow and ram limited.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
When will NetBSD be booted on this thing?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looked a little bit into OpenBSD, and apparently BroadCom, who makes the SoC, are really tightassed about docs and specs. So far, some sort of binary bootloader is necessary, and that's not really available yet.

I think there's a fair chance we'll get the BSDs on board as well, but not right this second.

I've been playing a little bit with mine, getting some first impressions. First of all, it's not responsive, especially in X. The browser takes double-digit seconds to load, and everything feels sluggish. I'm sure me running it against a full HD TV didn't help, and the graphics are as good as non-accellerated, so I have hope.

Can't really get a good setup, but managed to squeeze about 23 mbit/s inbound and about 15 mbit/s outbound through the LAN interface. These values might be SD card limited.

In its non-overclocked state, it doesn't get warm at all.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've looked into stuff some more, and apparently the GPU boots up first, and then powers up the CPU. So the GPU is, in effect, the bootloader, and that particular piece of code is binary, and will probably never be released in source form. And even if it did, it would require a specific Broadcom GPU compiler, which we won't get either.

It appears that the GPU firmware expects a VFAT formatted partition on the SD card (at the beginning, most likely) that contains certain files (bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf) and these can then boot a kernel. I'm no OS guru, but it seems plausible that other OSs could be booted that way.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

bolind posted:

I've looked into stuff some more, and apparently the GPU boots up first, and then powers up the CPU. So the GPU is, in effect, the bootloader, and that particular piece of code is binary, and will probably never be released in source form. And even if it did, it would require a specific Broadcom GPU compiler, which we won't get either.

It appears that the GPU firmware expects a VFAT formatted partition on the SD card (at the beginning, most likely) that contains certain files (bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf) and these can then boot a kernel. I'm no OS guru, but it seems plausible that other OSs could be booted that way.

of course

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

bolind posted:

Yes, the ultimate effect of the closed-source loader binaries is to find a file called kernel.img on the first partition of the SD card, load it into memory starting at address 0, copy the contents of cmdline.txt to address 0x100, and start the ARM going with a PC of 0. That ought to be enough to get your OS of choice running.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Doing a bit of overclocking, 900 CPU, 500 ram, GPU and voltage stock.

Got some spare Radeon GPU ramsinks, and stuck them to the chips on my Pi.

Runs quite warm at 700, 900 is very warm. Not going to burn you though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Would a usb-powered fan be possible, or even necessary? love to see the stress test benchmarks.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Would a usb-powered fan be possible, or even necessary? love to see the stress test benchmarks.

Unnecessary. Heat isn't the limiting factor when overclocking this thing. Someone's run one for months at 1GHz with no extra cooling at all.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004
Looks like I missed UPS with my delivery today. I never got a shipment notification, or really any notification outside of order received months ago, but that just made it a nice surprise to come home to! Now to make a nice case for it.

I was thinking something simple and plastic I can velcro to the back of my television, or just turning a block of wood into a nice looking and 'hidden' computer case. The options I've found online all look like they were lasercut from a sheet of plastic.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

silversum posted:

Looks like I missed UPS with my delivery today. I never got a shipment notification, or really any notification outside of order received months ago, but that just made it a nice surprise to come home to! Now to make a nice case for it.

I was thinking something simple and plastic I can velcro to the back of my television, or just turning a block of wood into a nice looking and 'hidden' computer case. The options I've found online all look like they were lasercut from a sheet of plastic.

Seen this yet? There is no reason it can't be made of thin plastic card, scored and folded in the right places.

Hell, a plastic business card box with holes in the right place should work.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Seen this yet? There is no reason it can't be made of thin plastic card, scored and folded in the right places.

Hell, a plastic business card box with holes in the right place should work.

Is there any risk of enough heat building up to eventually/possibly light the paper up?
A paper case for electronics makes me really, really nervous.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Pweller posted:

Is there any risk of enough heat building up to eventually/possibly light the paper up?

Paper burns at about 451 F, or 230 C. I doubt you will get it that hot.

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

Pweller posted:

I saw mention on the RPi forum that using paper for "cases" was something that they considered, and that aside from damage to the RPi itself, fire was extremely unlikely. One of the founders put it like "Look, it's 5V at 700mA or so. By design, nothing gets hot enough to be a concern at all." The subsequent discussion drilled the point home - If you're using a paper case for your RPi and it catches on fire, something bad (i.e. unusual) has happened - like damage to the board/components/etc causing a dead short somewhere. Still, the amount of current involved is pretty low, so things have to have been going really badly for fire to be a result.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

thelightguy posted:

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I'm curious how hard it is to interface with the I2C bus. I found a bunch of low-cost 16 channel LED drivers that use I2C for control, and would love if they have basic "send 'blah' to 'address'" drivers so I could do all the work in userland without having to write any kernel-mode drivers.

The appeal of having my own personal (monochrome/low resolution) jumbotron is too much to pass up. :v:

Which led drivers are you looking at? I'm looking at some led projects, am on the lookout for some cheap drivers!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cunning Plan posted:

Which led drivers are you looking at? I'm looking at some led projects, am on the lookout for some cheap drivers!

I settled on the NXP PCA9635. 16 independent 8-bit channels, with additional functions for easy 4-color mixing, plus an 8-bit master and strobe effects. Nice little chip for $2.50 each, although it's only available in a TSSOP surface mount variant which isn't the easiest thing to work with at home.

v True, but SMD soldering takes a bit of practice and a good pencil-tip soldering iron.

Here's a cheap 28-TSSOP to DIP board: http://store.nkcelectronics.com/tssop-to-dip-adapter-28pin-065mm-28065.html

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 7, 2012

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

TSSOP is easy to deal with if you're making your own pcb or if you can find an adapter board that isn't terribly overpriced.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Do you suppose it's be possible to use the Raspberry Pi to run the standard Reprap software? It already relies on an external motion controller (Arduino Mega), so real-time programming wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be as cool as programming an ARM board to run the machine by itself, but it could be worthwhile for many applications.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Are there any decent class console emulators that can be run on the r.pi? I bought this with the intent of shoving it into an old game cartridge or system and enjoy some classic gaming.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Do you suppose it's be possible to use the Raspberry Pi to run the standard Reprap software? It already relies on an external motion controller (Arduino Mega), so real-time programming wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be as cool as programming an ARM board to run the machine by itself, but it could be worthwhile for many applications.

In all likelihood any of the linux reprap host software will run on a RPi without modification.

One note I would like to make is that slicing/tool pathing/gcode generation step is rather processor intensive. It's still be very likely to run unchanged, it'd just be slow on the not so powerful ARM in the RPi. Feeding the printer already generated gcode would be well within its capabilities.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Got Quake 3 sorta up and running yesterday, but I can't seem to get it to run in full HD (1920x1080) and I don't seem to be getting the advertised 60 fps. Anyone got this running?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Was selling a Pi, but it's gone now. Ignore this post.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 7, 2012

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
^ Email sent.

Edit: DARN :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bolind posted:

Got Quake 3 sorta up and running yesterday, but I can't seem to get it to run in full HD (1920x1080) and I don't seem to be getting the advertised 60 fps. Anyone got this running?

Who told you it would be able to run Quake III at 60 fps at 1920x1080? The device doesn't have a fast processor or a decent GPU.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Who told you it would be able to run Quake III at 60 fps at 1920x1080? The device doesn't have a fast processor or a decent GPU.

I didn't read all of this, but people are getting close here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6511&p=84202

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The CPU is admittedly not very fast by modern standards, but the GPU is quite decent. It decodes H.264 in 1080p30 and has OK 3D performance.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Wow kudos to Newark/Element14 for having their act together now. Glad I went with them over RS.

They played ping pong with my delivery date for a while, up to and including pushing it back by two weeks the day before it was due to ship. Then I happened to check again yesterday and wow, it had already shipped (a week before expected). Then purolator just showed up and my door and handed off the package.

Time to go find something to power this thing. I'm pretty sure I don't have any old phone chargers, or even a powered usb hub, anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bolind posted:

The CPU is admittedly not very fast by modern standards, but the GPU is quite decent. It decodes H.264 in 1080p30 and has OK 3D performance.

That's any crappy GPU these days. It's quite easy to have hardware decode for preencoded video and play it back fast - it has no bearing on live rendering performance. And even bare bones smartphones from a few years back have decent 3D performance.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
For those wanting a RasPi HTPC, the XBMC port is in release candidate stages now: http://www.raspbmc.com/ Now if only I could order one of these gadgets some day.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Also for the XBMC testing crowd, openelec is not at release candidate yet, but if you search on their wiki for 'raspberrypi' theres instructions on installing it from both source (you'll need a *nix box to compile it yourself) or from some dudes precompiled image/pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rustybikes
Mar 12, 2004

berzerker posted:

For those wanting a RasPi HTPC, the XBMC port is in release candidate stages now: http://www.raspbmc.com/ Now if only I could order one of these gadgets some day.

Thanks for the link! I just got an RPi yesterday afternoon, and have been hacking around on it a bit since. I hadn't got 'round to investigating XBMC with any seriousness yet, so this comes in handy.

The image is a couple hundred megs, and it goes through a bit of a setup routine on first boot. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get everything in place. I was a little disappointed that it doesn't (yet?) seem to know how to do DLNA/UPnP (I have a Servio box on the network to serve up a bunch of stuff), but it was quite happy to mount a regular ol' USB thumb-drive and play TV:

Performance isn't stellar by any stretch of the imagination, but it does work. It does behave pretty well with straight-up playback; I didn't see any stutterring or skipped frames. XBMC can overlay the video with UI (as shown), and the RPi doesn't really handle that very well. Shortly after I took that snapshot, I had to power-cycle to regain control. Also, cueing back and forth in a file is a little rough. For casual viewing, though, it seems to be pretty reasonable. Very promising progress...