Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

cocoavalley posted:

If modding makes you squeamish you can use InvEdit, it runs independently of minecraft.

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Decided to try out the most recent snapshot and I found out that I'm getting almost triple the fps in that instead of the latest stable release (with optifine).

Not one crash and just fluent gameplay altogether.

Anybody experience the same thing?

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
My Long delayed minecraft excelsior is available for download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTftBlwxmk

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/uss-excelsior-uss-reliant-abandoned/

quote:

The USS Enterprise in the center is the "legacy edition" upgrade I was planning, using new blocks and modernizing it for the latest version.

The USS Reliant is practically finished, but may be broken from game updates. Full interior, working phaser banks.

The USS Excelsior is the crown jewel of my fleet. It was suppose to be top of the line, it abuses huge piston monstrosities that will slow most computers to a crawl when they are all running. It has working phaser banks that can be fired from the bridge, A Transwarp drive, piston driven warp drive, impulse drive, and piston driven nacelles. The brussard collectors can be independently opened and closed, sections are separated by piston driven pressure doors. I am sure there are other features I've since forgotten about. The ship also has torpedo TNT launchers!

Be sure to shutdown the piston drives at the base of the warp core if your computer can't handle the piston massacre.

I'd love to make a video tour but my crummy mac can't handle recording minecraft videos (as demonstrated by the youtube one's framerate)

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 4, 2012

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mozzie posted:

I'd love to make a video tour but my crummy mac can't handle recording minecraft videos (as demonstrated by the youtube one's framerate)

There are mods for this issue: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/926293-minema-132-the-recorder-for-jerk-free-movies-now-with-sound/ or http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/938825-125-camera-studio-updated-on-mar-25/ etc

Never tried any of them, but maybe you can find something that works for you? A tour video of these would be incredible.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

All I really wanna say is that today's Yogscast episode made me cry laughing cause I'm five.

It was truly amazing :allears:. For all that haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGYaQPIiq84

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hells yeah, that is the crazy japanese mod shown in the mod thread a week or two ago.

I'm with the yogscast guys, that poo poo is better than pistons. I'd like to see the rotater and sliders added to the base game, that could be really awesome. That giant door they showed :allears:

It's still really buggy, but hell, I want to make giant doors like those.

That mod is now the only other mod I truly want to see in the base game, along with my old favorite, the hacksaw mod. Hacksaws from redpower (I think they were their own mod first) are easy to use, the blocks have a really intuitive placement interface, they allow for really aesthetically pleasing structures, all without adding any actual new blocks or graphics. It seems like it would fit in perfectly with ~*Notch's Vision*~. Why hasn't jeb looked at it yet? :argh: Seriously, almost every day I try to do something until I realize that it's not possible with the current stairs and half slabs system, but would be trivial with the hacksaw.

edit: While I'm on a tangent about how minecraft should REALLY be god dangit, anyone disappointed by the initial Ender Chest implementation? Is Jeb still standing firm on how it works? It's bumming me out that such a cool feature is going to be completely useless in multiplayer.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 4, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Temaukel posted:

Amazing video.

:stare: I actually squealed when that gate opened. Holy gently caress, that's amazing and I need this now.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
That mod looks great. Things like this just make the options available in the game better. It does not mess with the balance. Lets hope this gets added.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

What I think is even better about that mod is, it doesn't look like it requires a mountain of redstone out back to drive. Hell, you could probably make elevators without too much hassle. This needs to be implemented post haste!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Arkitektbmw posted:

See but the difference is...does your company's main purpose rely on that Single printer? Would all outgoing communication and interaction halt if that one printer went down?

I would imagine not. "This poo poo happens" is a stupid comment. "This poo poo," is a sign of a poorly run company which doesn't quite have it's poo poo together.

You seem upset. What I was trying to say was that no matter what the company is, how much money it makes or how many customers it has there are things that will break and break often. Is either example acceptable? No, not really, especially when you end up not being able to serve customers/get work done.

That said I built my first XP farm after two years playing this the other day and let it run as I went to dinner at my girlfriend's parents house. Came back to three frames per second as the spawn drop area was filled with enough skeletons to overfill my inventory with arrows and bones and get me to level 29.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lazyfire posted:

You seem upset. What I was trying to say was that no matter what the company is, how much money it makes or how many customers it has there are things that will break and break often. Is either example acceptable? No, not really, especially when you end up not being able to serve customers/get work done.

Yes, but you can take steps to mitigate the effect, and when it's something that basically services the entire client base of the company, the fact that last time this happened it took an extra few hours because nobody could go in to hit the reset button is really not a good sign.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hacksaws from redpower (I think they were their own mod first) are easy to use, the blocks have a really intuitive placement interface, they allow for really aesthetically pleasing structures, all without adding any actual new blocks or graphics. It seems like it would fit in perfectly with ~*Notch's Vision*~.

He considers halfblocks to be the worst thing he ever added to the game, so it will be a long time before anyone adds other small decorative blocks.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

tinaun posted:

He considers halfblocks to be the worst thing he ever added to the game, so it will be a long time before anyone adds other small decorative blocks.

Except we're already getting new stuff, though mostly functional, since he isn't in charge of Minecraft anymore. It's likely with Jeb in charge that we'll see new poo poo.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

tinaun posted:

This is not because of the decorative nature, it's because of how badly he programmed them. He had to make halfblocks and double halfblocks seperate blocks for reasons unknown and etc

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

D34THROW posted:

:stare: I actually squealed when that gate opened. Holy gently caress, that's amazing and I need this now.

The portcullis is what got me. I'll finally be able to realize my dream of building cofferdams in a game. Love.

Jewel posted:

This is not because of the decorative nature, it's because of how badly he programmed them. He had to make halfblocks and double halfblocks seperate blocks for reasons unknown and etc

It always comes back to this, doesn't it.

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 4, 2012

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

It always comes back to this, doesn't it.

Yes, it does.

And the worst part of it is there we're not being just :notch: assholes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jewel posted:

Partial blocks really don't work well with the lighting model, which is why half-blocks have to be transparent otherwise the sides of blocks they touch would be unlit.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

Partial blocks really don't work well with the lighting model, which is why half-blocks have to be transparent otherwise the sides of blocks they touch would be unlit.

They really need to straight up rewrite the lighting engine entire game

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Ixjuvin posted:

They really need to straight up rewrite the lighting engine entire game

If mods didn't rely on it so much, it'd be nice to have it not be in Java.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Jewel posted:

In the snapshot aren't the slab/stair materials no longer just coded as damage values of the same block id? When the woods got added in I predicted it would be months before there were slabs/stairs in different colors because they would have to redo the whole silly system but it looks like Jeb has already done this.

The thing I would like the most that will never happen even if the whole game is rewritten from scratch would be a different system for water that's perhaps independent of blocks (not a whole crazy Dwarf Fortress model, I don't want to melt my computer, but still).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Christ, that reminds me of when stone brick first came around and the stair blocks for it were solid instead of transparent and a stone brick staircase had nice ugly black squares next to it all the way up.

The lighting system DOES need an overhaul, if only because it wasn't originally made to be able to handle all the special cases that are coming out of the woodwork.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

The thing I would like the most that will never happen even if the whole game is rewritten from scratch would be a different system for water that's perhaps independent of blocks (not a whole crazy Dwarf Fortress model, I don't want to melt my computer, but still).

Sadly, accurately simulating water would require finite worlds. And depending on how powerful your computer is, very small finite worlds.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sadly, accurately simulating water would require finite worlds. And depending on how powerful your computer is, very small finite worlds.

Can you explain why this is the case? I believe you, I'm just curious. Is there perhaps a middle road between "lol minecraft water" and what you're thinking of as "accurate"?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

XboxPants posted:

Can you explain why this is the case? I believe you, I'm just curious. Is there perhaps a middle road between "lol minecraft water" and what you're thinking of as "accurate"?

Truly accurate fluids are very expensive. Each block has to be able to track how much water is entering and leaving itself on each of its six sides, and this all needs to be propagated outwards. A chunk is 16 x 16 x 256 (or more, depending on your height setting), which amounts to over sixty-five thousand blocks that could need fluids processing in a single chunk, and thousands of chunks could be loaded on a server, depending on how many players are connected and where they are. There's a lot of optimizations that could be done to decrease the amount of processing, such as skipping computation for blocks that are in equilibrium, but all it would take is some jerk hollowing out an enormous cavern and digging upwards into an ocean to bring the server to its knees.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

blastron posted:

Truly accurate fluids are very expensive. Each block has to be able to track how much water is entering and leaving itself on each of its six sides, and this all needs to be propagated outwards. A chunk is 16 x 16 x 256 (or more, depending on your height setting), which amounts to over sixty-five thousand blocks that could need fluids processing in a single chunk, and thousands of chunks could be loaded on a server, depending on how many players are connected and where they are. There's a lot of optimizations that could be done to decrease the amount of processing, such as skipping computation for blocks that are in equilibrium, but all it would take is some jerk hollowing out an enormous cavern and digging upwards into an ocean to bring the server to its knees.

Even just having water be a block property instead of a block id without having any more fluid "dynamics" than right now would be a step up though, so for example the top portion of a slab block could be immersed in water instead of having air built into it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

eSports Chaebol posted:

Even just having water be a block property instead of a block id without having any more fluid "dynamics" than right now would be a step up though, so for example the top portion of a slab block could be immersed in water instead of having air built into it.
What's interesting here is blocks don't really have properties, per se. They've got a type, and they've got a sub-type. That's about it.

DominusDeus
Jul 20, 2008
Curious if anyone with some photoshop skills can make me a high res creeper poster in this art style, with "SSSssss" as the text.

That'd be awesome. Also, you'd have my thanks.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I just finished fixing the paths and putting a fence around the town in "Fiery Death" creative

And went for a very brief explore and found a pit to hell, or something. It's huge and dark.

I'll see what's there later.

It seems like my current hobby in both CSP and SSP is finding and renovating villages. Why I have no idea. It's just kind of therapeutic.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

blastron posted:

And there's also the fact that the source body of water could potentially span so many chunks that it would be too large to ever fit into memory (or even be infinitely large, depending on the world generator), and you need to know how big it is in order to decide how much water will flow into the new area, and then go through the process of actually moving the water blocks around (and if you want to be more realistic, you'd need to allow partial blocks of water so that single one meter cube could flatten out to form a puddle on the surface of multiple blocks).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DominusDeus posted:

Curious if anyone with some photoshop skills can make me a high res creeper poster in this art style, with "SSSssss" as the text.

That'd be awesome. Also, you'd have my thanks.

Half-assed google search pulled a couple half-assed efforts:

Perhaps one of those you will like!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Trip report on the cave of mystery. It's a honeycomb down there with heaps of really nice looking streams flowing down and through. Mentally I dubbed it the River Rapid (oh god why). It's a really short trip to bedrock and the river of lava. If this were an SSP game I'd be super happy. But it's not. Instead I'm going to do something silly like establish a village down there and call it "Bedrock". Yabba Dabba Doo!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

This is the one included in PureBDCraft, all the art in that pack is pretty great.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

General_Failure posted:

So I just finished fixing the paths and putting a fence around the town in "Fiery Death" creative

And went for a very brief explore and found a pit to hell, or something. It's huge and dark.

I'll see what's there later.

It seems like my current hobby in both CSP and SSP is finding and renovating villages. Why I have no idea. It's just kind of therapeutic.

Mind if I ask what is making that swamp look completely black? What texture pack is this?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
It looks like the sun is setting.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

It looks like the sun is setting.

It's one of the Doku HD variants. I don't remember it being on sunset when I took that but it must have been. The swamps are pretty dark though with the pack.

edit: I've spent a few hours just wandering in the caves near the village. It's utterly ridiculous. There's a couple of ravines, a couple of abandoned mines, one of which is huge, a water slide which goes from the surface to just shy of bedrock, a natural mob grinder, and every cave that is on the surface all seems to be connected to this hollow core. I really do think the map gen is a bit glitched by the seed. At least it explains why chunk generation is slower than normal.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 5, 2012

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So it turns out ocelots aren't persistent mobs. There go my dreams of having a Babou of my own wandering my castle. :saddowns:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

wyoming posted:

So it turns out ocelots aren't persistent mobs. There go my dreams of having a Babou of my own wandering my castle. :saddowns:

Did you tame it?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Reinstalled Minecraft after a long while, having a problem with it. After about 2-3 minutes the game becomes unbearably laggy and unplayable, then boots me to the main menu claiming there is no more memory to allocate. I tried again with the task manager open, it runs up to about 1.1gb of memory used and then that happens. I've got 8gb of memory in the machine, so not sure what the problem is. :smith:

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

If you've got a 64 bit os, make sure you're using a 64 bit java, I had similar problems before I figured out that the java download had autodetected as 32bit because I was using a 32 bit browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

chrisf posted:

If you've got a 64 bit os, make sure you're using a 64 bit java, I had similar problems before I figured out that the java download had autodetected as 32bit because I was using a 32 bit browser.

Egads, you're right. :monocle: I had to reinstall Java as this is a fresh-ish windows install and it gave me 32 bit. Thanks a ton.