Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Bonxai posted:

But more on topic and less about Apple/Android, would it be a huge mistake to buy a TF300 now that the next dual booting Android/Win 8 tablet has been announced? I'd love to have such a thing, but knowing Asus it will take forever before it's released, and I've already waited that long for the Infinity that's never coming out. Maybe my best option will be to get a 300 and sell it when the new one comes out.

So Windows 8 on Tablets isn't confirmed to run normal Windows desktop apps, just the Metro UI mobile specific apps, and I'm guessing this would hold especially true if it's a dual booting device. The point of running a Tablet with Windows on it is the ease of access to software, which you would be tossing out the window immediately with some dual-boot Win8/Android device.

A couple years ago when they were making power hog tablets that booted x86/64 Windows and Android I could see the niche appeal, but waiting around for splintered Windows app accessibility seems a bit foolish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Uh I dunno I kinda like the look of Windows 8 (for tablets at least). It's close to feeling like a "full" desktop experience, with multitasking and everything.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Uh, not to be accidentally ignorant about Windows 8, but ignorance is kinda looking like their selling point. Windows 8 on tablets WILL NOT function like a desktop computer. All signs point to there being software level inhibitors to cross-platform functionality. Earlier in this thread, people were downplaying cheap android tablets because while being similarly spec'ed, they featured an odd chipset that would "theoretically" ruin app compatibility. Bare with me, that these were chipset variations working within the same android OS, now take those same compatibility fears and apply them to merging (the very new) Windows 8 with Android, on an existing but new processor architecture that Windows has never run on... In laymen's terms, your WinRar/WinZip/SkiFree.exe will not run on Windows 8 Tablet.

The whole effort is a snafu. Microsoft is being very stupid to experimentally venture (with their King software franchise) into mobile territory rather than lay a hard CEMENT on their existing (newly revamped with Windows Vista/7) infrastructure rather than work on more low level compatibility layers and push tablet cross compatibility once it was ready.

But that is sort of the workflow of our technological era; do something ahead of the times as inefficiently as possible, then let your ground work be used to form an actual useful tool and hope your company will sue or buy it.

REAL LONG story short: Some Hardware/Software companies think tablets are ready to be computers; to people that use computers to compute, they aren't. Other, BIGGER, strictly software companies are trying to rush towards a premature marketplace in efforts to compete with the "visionary" company selling magic sand to the masses and production machines to professionals.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

revolther posted:

So Windows 8 on Tablets isn't confirmed to run normal Windows desktop apps, just the Metro UI mobile specific apps, and I'm guessing this would hold especially true if it's a dual booting device. The point of running a Tablet with Windows on it is the ease of access to software, which you would be tossing out the window immediately with some dual-boot Win8/Android device.
Actually with Windows 8 being to the release preview stage we have a pretty good idea about how it's going to work. But, you need to be very specific about which Windows you mean.

Windows 8 on tablets will run all the same old desktop apps (though good luck interacting with them). It will require an x86 processor, such as the Medfield chip which is just now starting to show up in Android phones.

Windows RT will only run two desktop apps: Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office. It will require an ARM processor, such as the Tegra 3.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Honestly you pointed it out better than I could have; if Microsoft spent the passed 20 years being the dominant computer infrastructure of the first world, and didn't figure out a way to translate x86 code to something that would run on a variation of energy efficient chipsets then the world truly does deserve to go to poo poo, because those amongst us blessed with brilliance, opportunity, and power would have decided to poo poo away their prospects entirely.

Virtual Desktop'ing into instances of your apps, which are saved on the cloud and re-instanced at home is just about as redundantly stupid as, well, it sounds. Sorry for the off topic, but that's (abstaining any big number crunching) just about identical to what our phones do now. And I'm not talking about Windows 8, but just the idiotic approach to how companies treat information.

A dual booting device, to bring about a stupid form of interopability, that idea, and that device, can't be the future of computing. Like literally, if you are voting with your dollars (as this thread seems to), for an idea of the future to be awesome (which you should hope for), there is no way any of that can seem benevolent or harmless.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

revolther posted:

Honestly you pointed it out better than I could have; if Microsoft spent the passed 20 years being the dominant computer infrastructure of the first world, and didn't figure out a way to translate x86 code to something that would run on a variation of energy efficient chipsets then the world truly does deserve to go to poo poo, because those amongst us blessed with brilliance, opportunity, and power would have decided to poo poo away their prospects entirely.

Translating code can work ok if going to a faster architecture. Apple did it with PowerPC to intel and it still wasn't great. ARM chips are slower than the x86 chips that Windows apps are currently being written for, so while this may well be possible, performance would probably be terrible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish the TF300 was available in white already.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Translating code can work ok if going to a faster architecture. Apple did it with PowerPC to intel and it still wasn't great. ARM chips are slower than the x86 chips that Windows apps are currently being written for, so while this may well be possible, performance would probably be terrible.

Yeah the fastest ARM chips around are about the speed of mid-range first generation Core 2 Duo, but with the power consumption of a modern x86 processor. So add the overhead of emulation needed and you'd have much slower performance for the same power usage as a laptop i5 or i7.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm having a problem with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the browser: It's constantly crashing and bringing me back to the start page, reseting all my tabs and it's getting on my nerves. Is this a common problem with the tablet, or is my device somehow faulty?

Would downloading another browser increase the stability?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Bohemian Nights posted:

I tried Opera Mobile and three from Firefox, and Firefox Beta is the only one that remembers what tabs you had open last session. It doesn't have the tabs still open, it just has a button that will reopen all of them.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm having a problem with my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the browser: It's constantly crashing and bringing me back to the start page, reseting all my tabs and it's getting on my nerves. Is this a common problem with the tablet, or is my device somehow faulty?

Use the chrome beta. It will crash occasional (key word beta) but it is very fast and when it does crash it will recover tabs with cached versions. Also syncs with chrome desktop if you use the browser. No flash plugin support though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Which version of the Galaxy Tab are we talking about because Chrome requires ICS.

I've found Chrome to be incredibly slow on Tegra 2 class hardware anyway although it is stable

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah the fastest ARM chips around are about the speed of mid-range first generation Core 2 Duo, but with the power consumption of a modern x86 processor. So add the overhead of emulation needed and you'd have much slower performance for the same power usage as a laptop i5 or i7.

I've read this about a dozen times, and what I think you're saying is that something like a Tegra 3 or high-end Snapdragon is capable of drawing on the order of 50-100 watts under full load. If that were the case, it would blow through the 25 watt-hour battery in a TF-201 in 30 minutes or less if doing something very CPU intensive such as 3D gaming. Of course, this is not including the display or radios.
I haven't been able to find any power consumption data, but I suspect your statements "the power consumption of a modern x86 processor" or "the same power usage as a laptop i5 or i7" are both very far from anything approximating reality. If you have a source for these statements, I'd like to see it since the only info I could find regarding the Tegra 3 is that in day-to-day usage it consumes less power than its predecessor since it's capable of shutting down cores, something the Tegra 2 can't do.

The rule of thumb for hardware emulation is ten times the processing power for an equivalent user experience. This would likely require one or more multi-processor ARM-based servers of the type that Dell is currently prototyping.

More likely, any app that one would like to run in an ARM-based environment would just need to be ported with an ARM compiler. If the code was written well, it would not require anything like a full re-write. Microsoft is famous for making excellent development tools, and I think we can all safely assume that they've taken this scenario into account.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I dunno, I think if done right the dual booting Asus tablet could be pretty sweet. I admit my interest is merely based on having a way to mess around with Windows on a tablet without having to stick with them in the long term, because while the UI and everything looks pretty swell, with their track record on stuff like this I don't know how good it will be in the long term. But it it ran well and the price was right, I could see possibly picking one up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kynetx posted:

I've read this about a dozen times, and what I think you're saying is that something like a Tegra 3 or high-end Snapdragon is capable of drawing on the order of 50-100 watts under full load. If that were the case, it would blow through the 25 watt-hour battery in a TF-201 in 30 minutes or less if doing something very CPU intensive such as 3D gaming. Of course, this is not including the display or radios.
I haven't been able to find any power consumption data, but I suspect your statements "the power consumption of a modern x86 processor" or "the same power usage as a laptop i5 or i7" are both very far from anything approximating reality. If you have a source for these statements, I'd like to see it since the only info I could find regarding the Tegra 3 is that in day-to-day usage it consumes less power than its predecessor since it's capable of shutting down cores, something the Tegra 2 can't do.

The rule of thumb for hardware emulation is ten times the processing power for an equivalent user experience. This would likely require one or more multi-processor ARM-based servers of the type that Dell is currently prototyping.

More likely, any app that one would like to run in an ARM-based environment would just need to be ported with an ARM compiler. If the code was written well, it would not require anything like a full re-write. Microsoft is famous for making excellent development tools, and I think we can all safely assume that they've taken this scenario into account.

The Tegra 3 is far from being the fastest ARM chip around. These fastest ARM chips are all stuff that doesn't see production use, primarily due to the fact that need a lot of power for raw speed. The Tegra 3's performance barely even approaches a single core Atom processor, let alone a 6 year old Core Duo or 5 year old Core 2 Duo.

No ARM chip in mass production for current products is even close to the performance of mainstream x86 processors from over 6 years ago.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

By the way, here's the full info on that dual-booting Windows 8 system:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-transformer-aio/

It's not a tablet in the traditional sense at all, it's an 18.4 inch all-in-one desktop. You can detach the screen from the base and use it wirelessly, but come on.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Rastor posted:

It's not a tablet in the traditional sense at all, it's an 18.4 inch all-in-one desktop. You can detach the screen from the base and use it wirelessly, but come on.

Ah drat, i was thinking it'd be a 10 inch prime clone, but drat, that's way too big :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently ASUS also announced Windows 8 Transformer tablets in 11.6-, 13- and 14-inch sizes, so who knows, maybe they will introduce a dual boot option or the modding community will do it or something. Android on x86 is still somewhat new but Intel seems to be pushing it as hard as they can.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Well nuts to that, I don't need no 18 inch tablet, its not like I'm Hercules over here to carry around something that gargantuan.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rastor posted:

Apparently ASUS also announced Windows 8 Transformer tablets in 11.6-, 13- and 14-inch sizes, so who knows, maybe they will introduce a dual boot option or the modding community will do it or something. Android on x86 is still somewhat new but Intel seems to be pushing it as hard as they can.

They also announced this thing:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/04/asus-taichi-notebook-tablet/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rastor posted:

So wait, it's basically like a modern version of this?

Looks like HP's HDX has finally poked its pivoting, angling neck out to say hello. We welcome the mammoth, overzealous "entertainment series" laptop, in all its specced out glory. Marvel at its:

Centrino (Core 2) Duo T7700 2.4GHz CPU
20.1-inch 1680 x 1050 "Ultra Brightview" display
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB graphics (DirectX 10)
4GB RAM
Dual 200GB SATA drives, eSATA port
Integrated ATSC / NTSC tuner with IR blaster
802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth
HD DVD (read-only), dual layer DVDRW drive
ExpressCard slot, HDMI out

Did we mention it's 15.5 pounds, 2.3-inches thick

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

:psyduck:

ASUS has gone transformation mad.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rastor posted:

:psyduck:

ASUS has gone transformation mad.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't also a screen under the keyboard. I mean...why the gently caress not!?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't also a screen under the keyboard. I mean...why the gently caress not!?
Didn't someone make a laptop where the keyboard was a screen?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yep, Toshiba did it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

You guys must have tiny girl hands because I'm sure that an 18 inch Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet would fit my needs perfectly :smugdroid:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

right arm posted:

You guys must have tiny girl hands because I'm sure that an 18 inch Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet would fit my needs perfectly :smugdroid:
You can do better than that.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

An 18" tablet is sure to be ridiculous, but it kinda reminds me of Microsoft's Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx). Surface is actually really cool (my university had one I got to play with) and I'd love to have a coffee table like that (especially if it ran Android).

Man I'm a nerd.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You can do better than that.

How about this:

Splizwarf, your ship has come in

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Glimm posted:

An 18" tablet is sure to be ridiculous, but it kinda reminds me of Microsoft's Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx). Surface is actually really cool (my university had one I got to play with) and I'd love to have a coffee table like that (especially if it ran Android).

Man I'm a nerd.

I think the mini-surface thing is going to be great for lab and library environments.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

TildeATH posted:

I think the mini-surface thing is going to be great for lab and library environments.

Yeah, academia in general. I can imagine classrooms in the next 5-10 years having desks outfitted with "surface" style devices.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Yeah, academia in general. I can imagine classrooms in the next 5-10 years having desks outfitted with "surface" style devices.

On which they will be writing with pen and paper still, with the surface devices having been broken by rear end in a top hat kids long ago.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
Wow. When I saw the teaser video for the Taichi I thought "now, certainly this isn't going to be a device that has front and back screens."

The dual screens seem terribly gimmicky. I can't think of a situation where it would be intuitive or useful, not to mention it'll have a fatter price tag for it.

I guess you could have a live wallpaper on the back screen so everyone in class can know how :coal: your convertible laptop is.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Smeego posted:

The dual screens seem terribly gimmicky. I can't think of a situation where it would be intuitive or useful.
Playing Battleship.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here's a look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 out of Romania.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The return period on my Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1 inch is almost over. I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad, but this tablet has awful memory issues.

It's always crashing, it's got such low memory that if I want to open a new application I have to completely clear the cache before I can do something else.

Is there a solution to this, or should I dump it and get a different tablet?

If I decide to keep it, I'm looking for a nice leather case I can use to prop it up and watch Netflix at work. Any suggestions on that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm happy now my Xoom LTE is on ICS. The rollout started yesterday, but I didn't feel like waiting so I grabbed the update and manually installed it using an OTA cable.

The update went without incident, but I decided to do a factory reset after it was updated just to ensure that all apps would behave properly.

In general, it's like having a new device. Everything operates much smoother and snappier than on Honeycomb and it's nice having the same OS on my phone and tablet for once.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Flameingblack posted:

The return period on my Galaxy Tab 2, 10.1 inch is almost over. I like that I can watch my old videos and read comics on it without having to re-buy them on an application, like I would have to from an iPad, but this tablet has awful memory issues.

this doesn't answer your questions but you don't have to "rebuy" anything on an iPad. There are plenty of comic/cbz readers and third party video players available to read/play whatever you already have.

But, what you're describing isn't normal, I've used an original Galaxy 10.1 that didn't even have memory issues like that.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I have the 7" version of the Tab 2 and it also doesn't have any memory issues either. I never have to use a task manager or do anything between opening apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

El Duke posted:

this doesn't answer your questions but you don't have to "rebuy" anything on an iPad. There are plenty of comic/cbz readers and third party video players available to read/play whatever you already have.

But, what you're describing isn't normal, I've used an original Galaxy 10.1 that didn't even have memory issues like that.

I assumed he meant he had specific readers in mind that do cost money.

Also yeah those memory issues aren't normal. If you're running low on memory Android should be killing background apps for you.