Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Macross: Do you remember Love is coming out on bluray in July.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/22011852.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just squealed a little bit to be honest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All that needs is confirmation of English Subs and I'd buy that in an instant.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

All that needs is confirmation of English Subs and I'd buy that in an instant.

Unlikely. Because it's too great of an idea and they don't want any more money.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It apparently will come with a PS3 game on the same disk as the movie :raise:

Source: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/03/21/macross-do-you-remember-love-30th-anniversary-hybrid-pack-detailed

July 26th release date, with the anniversary set at 13,800 Yen and the regular set at 7,140 Yen.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 22, 2012

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO

crunchyroll posted:

The only lament I have, if it even counts as one, is that it will never see the light of day in the US thanks to the never-ending grudges held between Big West and Harmony Gold, which is a crying shame, especially for this release.

Oh god :negative:

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Amazon sent me two emails last night cancelling my Castle In the Sky and Whispers of the Heart pre-orders. :(

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Amazon sent me two emails last night cancelling my Castle In the Sky and Whispers of the Heart pre-orders. :(

Yeah, the listing is still there, but they don't have any dates listed anymore. I think they'll still probably be released, but an actual release date has yet to be worked out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
AnoHana getting a BD release here thanks to NISA

http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=anohana

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hell yes, that's great news and I was worried it might not get any US exposure at all. Can't wait to cry like a big baby all over again.

e: That's a nice trailer.
:smithicide:

e:e:
NIS America is also putting out standard editions of both Toradora and Working!!/Wagnaria!!

quote:

NIS America has sent out a press release to announce the standard edition releases of Wagnaria!! (also known as Working!!) and Toradora on July 5, 2011. All standard editions will still include the Story Guide leaflet and bonus clips that were included in the premium editions and will still be Japanese audio with English subtitles.

The standard edition release for Toradora will again be in 2 parts, both priced at $44.99 MSRP while the standard edition release for the Wagnaria!! Complete series is priced at $49.99 MSRP.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 30, 2012

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well just checked amazon and castle in the sky, arrietty, and whisper of the heart will be released on May 22.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Totoro on bluray. FINALLY.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...RY71QF99CX9EBJ5

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Looks like grave of the fireflies is getting released that day as well. Also came to post, with arrietty coming out tomorrow (and laputa/whisper of the heart) the amazon price for these movies has dropped down to $22 each I believe.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
It seems none of the ghibli movies are on iTunes. This does not bode well for me moving to 100% digital :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man, buy and rip. Or settle for the fact that it will be a long long LONG time until you can come remotely close to being completely digital in a niche market where the content itself is sometimes a collectors item :geno:

That said, you'd think given pixar's and apple's relationship, and that disney is basically run by the remnants of the big pixar folk, that there would better better cross over. Then again disney loves to do that fruity disney vault poo poo, which digital versions are basically anathema to.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

DamnGlitch posted:

Man, buy and rip. Or settle for the fact that it will be a long long LONG time until you can come remotely close to being completely digital in a niche market where the content itself is sometimes a collectors item :geno:

That said, you'd think given pixar's and apple's relationship, and that disney is basically run by the remnants of the big pixar folk, that there would better better cross over. Then again disney loves to do that fruity disney vault poo poo, which digital versions are basically anathema to.

I'm realizing this will be a side effect and I'll have to do that. The number of movies\tv series I'll have to rip is going to be very tiny vs the stuff I CAN buy on iTunes.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Well just checked amazon and castle in the sky, arrietty, and whisper of the heart will be released on May 22.

Finally. I've wanted castle in the sky on blu ray for so long now.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Just a heads up that Best Buy.com has a good deal on Ghibli Blu-rays right now:
Buy 2 and get $8 off one

They have Arriety, Whisper and Castle for $22.99

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I think everyone is running that deal until June sometime. I've seen it at Target and Amazon as well.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Just a heads up that Best Buy.com has a good deal on Ghibli Blu-rays right now:
Buy 2 and get $8 off one

They have Arriety, Whisper and Castle for $22.99

Ughhhh. If I buy the Japanese releases of Totoro and Arietty, I don't think I could bear to put the US releases of the other films next to them. The Japanese ones are just so beautiful. Japan why you gotta have $70 blurays. :smith:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Because people who buy releases for prestige will pay that much.

Stop making their model work :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DamnGlitch posted:

Because people who buy releases for prestige will pay that much.

Stop making their model work :argh:

But....but....

vs

:saddowns:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah that's sure worth 60 bucks extra.

(no it's not)

((it's really pretty but it's goddamn box))

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Actually only $40 more but....yeah.

Maybe I can just get some custom covers printed so that I don't have to be reminded that James Van Der Beek is somehow involved.

(I still want it.)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Holy crap, I had no idea the Japanese Blu-Ray boxes were so awesome.

That would be a great collection to show off. Sadly, I don't have the money to throw away at it either so I must stick to US releases. :(

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
So swap out the paper insert with an image of the Japanese one. It's not quite the same since it's still a standard BD jewel case, but jesus christ you want to pay triple for the same disc so you can have a nicer box?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

For real, that's nutso.

They are going to go on a shelf. You will only see their spine. Even if you had them face forward for some reason nobody will care. Never, ever.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:qq:

Chillax bros. Maybe I'm the one that cares what it looks like? Besides, its not like the current selection of Ghibli films on bluray in the US is particularly great. Who knows when we'll see Totoro in the US or if we'll even see everything that gets a Japanese bluray release in the US.

Anyway I've got a Amazon.co.jp gift cert about to expire so I've gotta use it or lose it. Might as well blow it on a gorgeous looking Totoro release. :smugdog:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Japan is taunting me with a lack of mononoke release. It's the only one I'd even consider importing, as it would probably take 3 years to reach the states or something ridiculous.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Jesus christ, the Madoka Magica releases are $100? :gonk: I understand there's non-special releases but that's just insane for a soundtrack and some art

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Moeru posted:

Jesus christ, the Madoka Magica releases are $100? :gonk: I understand there's non-special releases but that's just insane for a soundtrack and some art

75$ if you look online. It has a bit more than just some art as well, but it's a collectors item, it's pretty much for the hardcore fans.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally got around to watching the blu-ray of Arrietty and it's probably one of the most gorgeous looking animated films I've ever seen. And that soundtrack...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually just did the same thanks to that Amazon sale, and yeah it's probably the best looking Ghibli film I've ever seen.

I was a bit disappointed with the movie overall, though :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I was a bit disappointed with the movie overall, though :(

How so? I'll admit it was a bit slow, but other than that I couldn't fault it at all. I'm not familiar with the original 'Borrowers' at all though, if that has something to do with it. It was definitely my favourite Ghibli film since Spirited Away anyway.

VVVV Ah, that's true, I guess I'm not really bothered by films in which nothing much happens though. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 3, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just felt it wasn't substantial enough. Not much happens in the movie. It could have easily used an additional 30 minutes or so for a few more acts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nate RFB posted:

I just felt it wasn't substantial enough. Not much happens in the movie. It could have easily used an additional 30 minutes or so for a few more acts.

Felt like more than Ponyo. And I sort of appreciate the relative calmness of this movie. It makes me think more akin to KiKi's Delivery Service than Castle in the Sky or Nasicaa.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't mean that it wasn't exciting or anything. I dig a slow, calming story where nothing much besides mundane things occur. I meant, literally, that not much happens in the movie. We are briefly introduced to the main characters, we briefly see a conflict arise, and we briefly see its conclusion. It was hard to get invested in any one scene, with the possible exception of the initial borrowing, because every scene ends so quickly. The film is beautiful, but there is nothing to savor because anything that happens is, well, brief.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A package came:

:swoon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why are there still no Evangelion TV blu-rays? Japan :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Why are there still no Evangelion TV blu-rays? Japan :argh:

Seeing as how Gainax has been doing a good job at timely releasing most of their other stuff on blu-ray, I'm sure it's more a question of when than if. My bet's on before or shortly after the fourth movie comes out, personally.

• Locked thread