Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Could you guys throw out a few recommendations for... Otherworldly Black Metal?

I don't know a great deal about black metal and I'm not really into the Marduk style FULL SPEED AHEAD :black101: stuff, but the parts I like, I really like.

I'm trying to find more music like the following:

Wolves in the Throne Room - A Looming Resonance - Amazing.

Nehëmah - Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud - I really like this song. Really a lot.

Peste Noire - Dueil Angoisseus - I think this is absolutely killer too.

Alcest - Là Où Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles - Mentioning an awareness of Alcest because I guess it'll be the first thing to come to people's minds. :)

Burzum - Budstikken - I like a lot of Burzum's more atmospheric stuff, especially Dunkelheit, but Budstikken really does it for me.

Dimmu Borgir - Entrance - Not hugely into Dimmu Borgir for the most part, but this song absolutely nails the 'otherworldly' feeling that I am really into.

I am after the stuff like this that focuses the atmosphere more on the feeling of experiencing the metaphysical / strangeness / awe / horror rather than the whole suicidal depressive black metal area.

Thanks a lot for any recommendations, much appreciated! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Most Greek BM fits the bill. I'd enumerate it but this guy did it already. Start with Necromantia and Varathron in particular.

I also like Funeral Mist but it seems to be a hit or miss band for many people.

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 2, 2012

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you don't mind poo poo-fi, you might look at some Crepusculo Negro stuff. Dolorvotre, Volahn, Kuxan Suum. Only problem is there's not much of it (Kuxan Suum having recorded a grand total of two songs, for example). Outside of CN, you might like Branikald (mind their being Nazis, though), Velvet Cacoon (mind their being complete assholes, though), and The Ruins of Beverast.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Rion.exe posted:

I don't know a great deal about black metal and I'm not really into the Marduk style FULL SPEED AHEAD :black101: stuff, but the parts I like, I really like.

Nehëmah - Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud - I really like this song. Really a lot.

Alcest - Là Où Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles - Mentioning an awareness of Alcest because I guess it'll be the first thing to come to people's minds. :)

Burzum - Budstikken - I like a lot of Burzum's more atmospheric stuff, especially Dunkelheit, but Budstikken really does it for me.

Dimmu Borgir - Entrance - Not hugely into Dimmu Borgir for the most part, but this song absolutely nails the 'otherworldly' feeling that I am really into.

I am after the stuff like this that focuses the atmosphere more on the feeling of experiencing the metaphysical / strangeness / awe / horror rather than the whole suicidal depressive black metal area.

Try some Sorcier des Glaces, Enslaved, Midnight Odyssey. Other good ones in that frame of mind are Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger, for a sneering corruption of that style of Black Metal that ended up being one of the best albums ever written, and Gehenna's album First Spell. First Spell is also the first and only album to properly merge Black Metal and Goth and don't let anyone tell you differently. There are a million enjoyable bands in this style but very few that have the purity of intent that seems to elevate the music above being the average Wolves In The Krallice Burzum clone.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Rion.exe posted:

They have been mentioned many a time, but I feel like giving another rec for The Great Old Ones

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Rion.exe posted:

Based on these bands, you might have more luck with bands the recent trend of American post-black metal. Stuff like Agalloch, Krallice, or Liturgy. Possibly some recent Slavic bands like Drudkh or Negură Bunget.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Lord Purple posted:

Based on these bands, you might have more luck with bands the recent trend of American post-black metal. Stuff like Agalloch, Krallice, or Liturgy. Possibly some recent Slavic bands like Drudkh or Negură Bunget.

Yeah, also Deafheaven, Ash Borer, Alda (maybe?), Oskoreien (I rec them all the time I know but nnng so GOOD), er is Agalloch too obvious?, I'll always recommend Altar of Plagues to WITTR fans, Skagos, Nhor, Waldgeflüster...

Morbid Florist - thanks for posting Satanika. I liked. :)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Lord Purple posted:

Definitely seconding Negura Bunget. Om is a great album and they kick rear end live.

I forget if they were mentioned earlier in this thread or in the Metal thread, but The Great Old Ones are pretty excellent as well and fit what you're looking for.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Thanks a lot for the recommendations!

Really, really into Midnight Odyssey, thanks a lot RHTITE. Funerals from the Astral Sphere is exactly what I've been after! Sorcier Des Glaces is also very good and I've been enjoying The Puressence of Primitive Forests.

I like Agalloch but I really am not getting into Krallice or Liturgy.

I've been looking into this and have found a couple of fantastic bands in the atmospheric black metal vein that you guys should really check out.

Addaura
Gallowbraid
Alda

Still got a lot of recommendations to go through...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Can't see whether they've been mentioned but as "Cascadian" BM goes, I really love Skagos. All of their stuff is good, but Anarchic (side A) is really spectacular. It has an amazing ambient pulse, I hope we get to hear the rest of it before the end of the year. The split with Panopticon is also excellent (including Panopticon's side), and their debut, Ast is free to download. Although it is less developed than the split/Anarchic, it is still well worth hearing.

Also, people who know things about Hellenic Black Metal, please recommend me some bands, I only really know Rotting Christ, but I like them a lot.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 5, 2012

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
My friend is in a band black metal band called Negativism and he recently released a new EP, "Total Death Worship". I think it's pretty good and has some diverse song-writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhQJ_GH62g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-NKZHnp7QA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acb-GDstvcM

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Turk February posted:

My friend is in a band black metal band called Negativism and he recently released a new EP, "Total Death Worship". I think it's pretty good and has some diverse song-writing.

I like this a lot, where can I buy it?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
If you PM me your address he will send you it for free. He's trying to shop it around to some labels, so why not build a fanbase? :) It's just a five song EP. He appreciates it.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Turk February posted:

If you PM me your address he will send you it for free. He's trying to shop it around to some labels, so why not build a fanbase? :) It's just a five song EP. He appreciates it.

PM sent! Tell your buddy thanks!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Turk February posted:

I like it. Farewell especially.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Caught the Marduk/1349 tour yesterday -- amazing show by both bands. I was split on the openers though. We had a local band, Hoarfrost start off playing a blend of blackened death metal but mimicking the recent trend of shoegazey metal. Seeing a fat guy in his fancy jeanvest belting out pained lyrics of the moon kinda doesn't work.

Second band though blew me the gently caress away. They were called Weapon from Alberta. Some amazing blackened death with one hell of a vocalist. Their set just blew the previous band away and the entire place moved in to come see them and get a good pit going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadFyNX5o44

Check them out if they ever come around.

Third band were called Withered I never heard of them but they were pretty boring to me (and most of the crowd). Plodding instrumental tracks with screaming littered here and there. Forgettable.

Tiny highlight of the night was watching the 1349 drummer putting away his set, walking across stage and lifting up his leg to let out a very audible fart, at least from the front, haha.

Final gripe -- people who come in corpse paint, maybe i'm alone, I dunno. But I am not here to see you, I don't give a poo poo about your crazy kvlt makeup and blood all over your head. That is for the people up on the stage. At the end of the night you're just an annoyance.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Weapon are easily the best band in that lineup. If you hadn't heard of them already go and get all their material.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Final gripe -- people who come in corpse paint, maybe i'm alone, I dunno. But I am not here to see you, I don't give a poo poo about your crazy kvlt makeup and blood all over your head. That is for the people up on the stage. At the end of the night you're just an annoyance.

If you're not there to see them and you don't give a poo poo, why are you bitching... They're having a good time doing their thing. Watch the stage, not the crowd, if they bother you so much.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

That'd be like going to see a show with Turisas on the bill and complaining about all the people dressed up in black/red paint.

I dunno, I figure a show like that is literally the one place where it's ok to do that.

Rion.exe posted:

Some more recommendations for you.

Enmerkar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb50bwq0MJI - The quality of the upload is awful, but it's still a really good track.

Coldworld - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axMZO0paCaY - One man band, typical for what you'd expect for the norm these days, but if you're in the hunt for more of the "post-black" music these days here is another one.

While I'm posting music, I'd like to post a black metal track with quite possibly the most catchiest hook ever.

Wyrd - My Ghosts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRs3GE4NUpI It's a song I could see myself driving with the windows down and just relaxing.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 11, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

fappenmeister posted:

The Clit Avoider, Morbid Florist, anyone else, I'm playing catch up with some releases the last 6 months or so.

Anything a bit thrashy, Greek-style or orthodox BM ticks all the right boxes. I trust your opinions as you pretty much listen to exactly what I like.

Thanks.

Ok, here's a cursory list. I'll add more later.

Agatus - Gilgamesh EP
Aosoth - Our Crown of Sins EP
Armageddon - Necromantic Celebration
Aura Noir - Out to Die
Avenger - Bohemian Dark Metal
Azaghal - Nemesis
Begrime Exemious - Visions of the Scourge
Bestial Holocaust - Into the Goat Vulva
Black Hammer - Darker Days Will Come
Blackmoon - Possessed by Hell
Brume D'Autome - Brume D'Autome
Burial Hordes - Descent EP
Coffins have released a bunch of EPs
Deathhammer EP
Decieverion EP
Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night
Desecrasy - The Doom Skeptron
Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry
Enthroned - Obsidium
Faustcoven - Hellfire and Funeral Bells
Gospel of the Horns - Ceremonial Conjuration EP
Hades Archer - The Curse Over Mankind
Hellvetron - Death Scroll of Seven heavens...
Kill for Satan - The Final Conflict

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

poo poo I forgot about the new Aura Noir album. It's loving good poo poo, maybe my new favorite of theirs.

edit: christ, you think Agatus likes Maiden at all?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 11, 2012

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

edit: christ, you think Agatus likes Maiden at all?

Hahaha, that opening riff on "Abbadon" sounds like Iron Maiden messing around during practice.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
It makes me really happy that Avenger still has their dedicated timpani player doin his thing.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I am REALLY digging avenger's older poo poo. I'm listening to their first two LPs. Not really a big fan of the songs I've heard off the newest but gently caress it, I've got a new band to wear out.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Fall of Devotion, Wrath and Blasphemy and Feast of Anger/Joy of Despair are very good records and Avenger is definitely the best band from the region. I don't hold a lot of hope for the newest album after listening to the song linked a couple posts up.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
The new one is alright in the sense that if it had completely different production it would rule. Their old material is loving great though, and the black rain demo (same guys) is amazing.

I'll be honest though, I'm a complete sucker for the vocals, the riffs being great too is just gravy.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I didn't realise that Petrychor had a side project. Ambient dark/black, I like what I have heard so far.

http://carbonscape.bandcamp.com/album/artistry-of-exhaustion-ii

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Beherit's Celebrate The Dead is pretty wonderful and I desperately hope/wish that they explore the realms they were in on the song Celebrate The Dead more fully on future albums.

I don't get the whole Petrychor thing. It strikes me as the aural equivalent of a chef emptying out their cupboards and fridge, putting it all in a big blender and then saying "look! I have created a super food!". Basically, Petrychor is a list of ingredients that looks incredible when you read the package, but in reality is a gray lump of mush. The guy is an amazing player, but his compositions would be so much stronger if he would just chill out on throwing everything at them and just letting them flow naturally. The whole Folk to raging Black Metal and back transition is so over, man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Goddamn Avenger is awesome.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

IRQ posted:

Goddamn Avenger is awesome.

Agreed.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
So I've been trying to listen to some of the 'essential' black metal albums. So far that's consisted of Immortal's At The Heart of Winter, Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Satanis and some Bathory and Xastur.

I've pretty much loved it all! What else is considered essential? If it helps I think I liked Immortal and Darkthrone the most.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
You'll definitely want to listen to the following:
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike (received nowhere near enough exposure back in the day)
Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
Dissection - The Somberlain

That's a good start, and you could easily do much worse than almost anything on autothrall's list here.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss should also be pretty high up on your list.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm trying to complete a Thou collection on vinyl, are there any distros that people have ordered that band's stuff from and had good experiences/prices with?

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
The Stoner/Doom/Sludge thread might be a good place to ask to.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Apparently a bunch of black metal bands playing in a forest is a common thing thing now

http://www.ancestralfires.org/

I'm incredibly sad that I don't live out in California.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Apparently a bunch of black metal bands playing in a forest is a common thing thing now

http://www.ancestralfires.org/

I'm incredibly sad that I don't live out in California.

Ha, that is about 30 minutes from where I grew up. I'd imagine whole area around Lake Spaulding is pretty great for that sort of stuff.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

So I've been trying to listen to some of the 'essential' black metal albums. So far that's consisted of Immortal's At The Heart of Winter, Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Satanis and some Bathory and Xastur.

I've pretty much loved it all! What else is considered essential? If it helps I think I liked Immortal and Darkthrone the most.

If you haven't already, look back further into Immortal's work. Their stuff pre-Heart Of Winter is all worthwhile, with Pure Holocaust standing out as one of the best ever.

Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Enslaved - Vikinligr Veldi, Frost, Yggdrasil demo

Gorgoroth - Pentagram, Antichrist

Rotting Christ - The Mighty Contract

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger

To add to the Burzum recommendation above, get everything up to Filosofem. Avoid demo or bootleg stuff because it's just existing recordings that have been sabotaged to sound differently and then sold.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
1349 and Marduk loving killed it last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Just dropping in with a reminder that Omega kick rear end.

:tipshat: