Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

A shrubbery! posted:

Looks like a Wii-U controller? Thumbsticks above the D-pad and face buttons, narrow shoulder bumpers and looks like the mini-USB port in the top. Probably doesn't mean anything though.

Apparently it is some fancy Razer gamepad that is a very close clone to the Xbox 360 controller. Wish I could find the source of this, but some other web community had pretty good proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
This is the Razer controller http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.245543000

Don't know why you guys are assuming this is going to be some on rails thing. There was a Control Train option in the menus. Clearly this game is off the rails

VarXX fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 5, 2012

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

VarXX posted:

Don't know why you guys are assuming this is going to be some on rails thing. There was a Control Train option in the menus. Clearly this game is off the rails

It seems like it'll be set-pieces with a few different ways to complete each set-piece. There's no way it'll be free-roaming with some of the fancy stuff you can do, surely.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

A shrubbery! posted:

It seems like it'll be set-pieces with a few different ways to complete each set-piece. There's no way it'll be free-roaming with some of the fancy stuff you can do, surely.

It's fun to dismiss interesting new concepts in the face of 5 minutes worth of gameplay and upcoming next gen consoles.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
It has all the trappings of a free-roaming game: a map and compass with hotspots highlighted on it, hijack-able cars, ring of police notoriety etc. I have a hard time seeing how it could be anything else. What makes you think "oh there's no way this could be free"?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

A shrubbery! posted:

I have a friend who was a playtester on watch dogs and he said:

"It looks way better now than it did when I played it, I only got to play the first few levels...it's like GTA, but more techy. "

Iswed
Jan 6, 2011

I liked the trailer, what I don't understand is why it had to have shooter elements involved.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

ilmouzer posted:

I liked the trailer, what I don't understand is why it had to have shooter elements involved.

Because its a GTA sandbox thing. People want to shoot things and gently caress stuff up.

You have to have combat in your open world.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
As much as they commented about connecting players before and after the demo it made me think that when they zoomed up to that guy on the building that it was the start of a multiplayer segment where the main player is trying to get away from someone who invaded his game Demon/Dark Soul style like the guy said a few pages before. Showing multiple people means maybe there can be many at the same time or the map can filter to show people playing so you can hop into theirs.

I could see it working as a thing where once you're finished with a story sequence people are able to join your game to chase you. If they can screw up your story sequence that would be even better. Maybe each sequence has a certain time it shows up if you fail, maybe you just fail that one for good, or you die and respawn like GTA and can just start it over.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm just glad they went with the only good -punk, the one without all the steam.

That said I much prefer Stephenson's take on the cyberpunk thing than Gibson's. Gibson didn't have dudes riding around with hydrogen bombs in their sidecars.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
That gameplay video has me really interested in the idea (and what they can do with it), but not if it ends up just being GTA with some hacking elements. There are so many cool directions they can go with this.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ddraig posted:

That said I much prefer Stephenson's take on the cyberpunk thing than Gibson's. Gibson didn't have dudes riding around with hydrogen bombs in their sidecars.

IIRC Stephenson's generally considered post-cyberpunk, not cyberpunk. Cyberpunk was really less about cyberspace and technology and more about a fundamental lack of respect for humanity. I don't remember anything in Stephenson's work that was comparable to Case having his ability to use drugs taken away from him (without his consent) or Molly running on broken legs, or the ninja being blinded and then just continuing on.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

Honestly, while it's cool to see a game that features a realistically modeled Chicago because it's a city I'm familiar with, I'm more glad that we're actually getting a game that's not in loving Manhattan again.

No kidding. I love NYC to death, but Chicago is awesome as well. I could clearly make out Marina City in the background during the traffic light incident.

Hopefully more games decide to make faithful recreations of the cities that they take place in like this and LA Noire. I suppose you could kind of lump Human Revolution into that as well for Detroit. GTA 4 was nice, but it was more of a rough approximation. And boring as gently caress once you finished everything.

Galactor
Mar 24, 2012
I can't wait for Dues Payne Auto 4.

No but seriously this was probably the most interesting trailer that was shown. I'd actually kind of be okay with it being sort of like GTA 4 in its use of its 'gimmick' with the controlling thing: In missions it will be scripted to an extent so that it will be really awesome looking/you'll feel awesome. Out of mission, it may not provide the same cinematic experience you get in mission (like in this trailer) but you can still do it, dick around with people in town, and cause general mayhem.

Though I am one of those weird people who actually really enjoyed GTA 4 in the first place.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HoveringCheesecake posted:

No kidding. I love NYC to death, but Chicago is awesome as well. I could clearly make out Marina City in the background during the traffic light incident.

Hopefully more games decide to make faithful recreations of the cities that they take place in like this and LA Noire. I suppose you could kind of lump Human Revolution into that as well for Detroit. GTA 4 was nice, but it was more of a rough approximation. And boring as gently caress once you finished everything.

It's pretty awesome how identifiably Chicago it is. I knew it took place in that city within a couple of seconds despite only having visited it briefly twice in my life.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

RadicalWall posted:

Because its a GTA sandbox thing. People want to shoot things and gently caress stuff up.

You have to have combat in your open world.

Couldn't you do that without actually shooting, though? Say, if you're in a police chase, instead of turning out the window and shooting at the cars, use your phone to mess with their internal navigation? Or overcharge the lights in that art exhibit so that when the bad guys run by they get a shower of shrapnel as the exhibit fails catastrophically? You could even say that he's modified his phone to have an alternate stun-gun option which uses the same battery as the hacking.

Some light shooting action might be alright, but it doesn't sound strictly necessary for the game to work, especially given the available "hacking" options.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If it is GTA with hacking elements, it will be fun as hell.

If it really brings the hacking into the forefront and becomes a true open-world hacking game, then it will probably be one of my favorites for years and years to come.

Whichever way it goes, this should be really fun.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I hope enough people keep calling it "Watch_Dogs" that Ubisoft just rebrands it that.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
This has a poo poo ton of potential.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Remember the old Assassin's Creed demo? It looked amazing, and it turned out to be scripted as poo poo. This game looks nice, I guess, but gameplay wise it's probably going to be wandering around the city, with a "press x to hack toaster" gimmick. I'll probably pick it up anyway, hopefully it's a fun free-roaming game and not like GTA4 where it's dark, gritty, and boringly realistic.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Assassin's Creed is still fun though. There's a difference between heavily scripted trailers (literally every trailer that's made because it would be retarded not to) and assuming the game is an ON-RAILS QTE FEST!@

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem
I cannot remember the last time I was impressed like this by a gameplay trailer.

This looks great, and it's a new IP to boot!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ash.W posted:

Could the final exchange between you & DeMarco be only partly-scripted? I don't know a lot about how things work, but perhaps the poses and dialogue remain the same regardless of location, and there are a few canned actions which result in him ending up on the floor (pull out of car, throw, hit with baton, etc).

There's only replay value if you can do things several ways. COD is a blast for a playthrough, but who touches SP twice?

Seems like to me its up to you how to handle your objectives. The game just told you to "confront DeMarco" and the demo chose to cause a car accident. Maybe you could just wait till he parks his car and gets up to come chat with you then punch him in the face?

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Game looks great.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Demicol posted:

Seems like to me its up to you how to handle your objectives. The game just told you to "confront DeMarco" and the demo chose to cause a car accident. Maybe you could just wait till he parks his car and gets up to come chat with you then punch him in the face?

In my wishful thinking area of my brain, I'm getting Hitman vibes.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This is one of the few bright spots of E3 for me. I really hope that they don't fubar it though. I'm genuinely excited for hacking in to other people's phones, machines, etc.

I thought it was pretty cool how everyone had something you knew of them, even the minor NPCs. That being said, I can see a billion ways it goes off the rails (as has been said), but I have faith in Ubisoft that they won't bork it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'll be happy if it's just a downtown Chicago simulator, but I hope we get some neighborhoods as well. Seems like a LOT of- probably too much- detail to present semi-faithfully, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up. It'd be cool to head to the medical district and cause some havoc, for example. That area of the city makes really good aesthetic sense to include, so I bet it'll be in there, but I doubt I'm gonna be able to track down my apartment and explore the cyberpunk crack house/Al's Beef that it's been turned into.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
They should include an easter egg where you can turn out the lights at Wrigley just before the Cubs win the NLCS and it causes them to forfeit the game.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

RadicalWall posted:

Yeah, the problem is that people are assuming that the next gen consoles are somehow magically going to be better than the best gaming PCs that can be built today. While consoles have been stagnating, PCs have just about reached the limits of what we can do with the current technology.

And it would be a launch window game, so they're usually the low end of what the consoles might end up capable of.

The benefit to next gen consoles isn't that they can pump out more polygons and have better graphics. It's the issue of memory or lack there of in current consoles. An xbox has 512 mb of ram and has to spend a chunk of that on dashboard stuff. Compared to your modern pc that has somewhere between 1-16 gb of ram and the difference is astonishing. Not in pure graphical fidelity but in complexity and variation of things on screen. A modern console at the level of modern pcs would allow an open world game to not have to despawn cars when you turn around, have hundreds more types of civilians and cars on screen, more advanced and varied AI, cloth and skin physics on everything, dynamic metal deformation and debris that actually stay for more then a few seconds.

More ram would allow people to make a dense city open world game and have every building be fully destructible and enterable. Stuff that's just impossible to do all at once all the time when you have to make sure it runs on something with a couple hundred mb of usable ram.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Toad on a Hat posted:

They should include an easter egg where you can turn out the lights at Wrigley just before the Cubs win the NLCS and it causes them to forfeit the game.

I would definitely select "control train" on the red line after the Cubs fans have crammed themselves in it one afternoon & figure out a way to drive the loving thing into the lake.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
So who's willing to bet that the game will come out for X360/PS3 first and PC several months later? :suicide:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Funkz posted:

So who's willing to bet that the game will come out for X360/PS3 first and PC several months later? :suicide:
Apparently it won't suffer the usual Ubisoft curse.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hizawk posted:

I liked the weather report at the beginning saying showers were to come later on in the day.

I don't like that it seems when he turned the lights a bazillion cars appeared out of nowhere for the accident. It seems waay too scripted.

Seems to me like a gameplay mechanic. While it'd be more realistic to have to time it correctly and have cars coming towards the crossroads from the correct directions, it's far more satisfying in a game sense for it to happen when you want it, and not leave too much to chance.

Necc0 posted:

The fact they had a dedicated cutscene to pulling that dude out of the car and executing him really doesn't point to an open-ended 'deus-ex-like' game but it's still early to judge. Even if it is on rails it's presented really really well.

Deus Ex and GTA had cutscenes too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cutscenes also imply that there is only one way to kill that guy, and it involves pulling him out of his car and executing him on the street. Which is the whole reason we were talking about it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Crappy Jack posted:

Cutscenes also imply that there is only one way to kill that guy, and it involves pulling him out of his car and executing him on the street. Which is the whole reason we were talking about it.
Also there is the cutscene in the club with no dialogue options or anything. You go there to kill this specific guy, are given a gun once a triggered event happens and then you have to get outside to kill him and trigger another cutscene and chase. It's scripted event after scripted event, the only variation is the manner in which you trigger those events. It's not freeflowing and dynamic in that way and it doesn't let you make meaningful plot choices but instead lets you fill in the gap between plot actions however you want.

This is all just going by that gameplay clip, but if it's representitive of the finished product, it'll just be like a modern Assassin's Creed with cover-based shooting, rechargeable health and a couple more gimmicks.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Because this cutting edge game can't have multiple cutscenes for different situations?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So you're dismissing the game from the get-go, with about 5 minutes of footage, because it's probably scripted?

I guess you didn't like Half-Life 2 either.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

x!te bike posted:

Because this cutting edge game can't have multiple cutscenes for different situations?

If they wanted us to assume that this cutting edge game had multiple cutscenes for different situations, they probably should have shown that. Otherwise people are going to discuss the implications of seeing a very slick looking game that appears to be a series of scripted events with potentially minimal interactivity.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

I can also make broad sweeping comments from 5 minutes of gameplay too. For instance maybe there's a completely different outcome for each of the options you could choose instead of changing the traffic lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
So why does the existence of a "pulling a guy out of a car" animation imply that this is a cutscene that only happens in this one specific situation?

• Locked thread