Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

'Pro' users want the color/viewing angles of the 1280x800 screen, apparently. They can't find a better looking 1440x900 screen?

ULTRABOOKS ARE GETTING 13.3" 1920X1080 SCREENS COME ON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oh wait this is the same company that sold new computers with 10" monitors up until mid-1995 (Color Classic II)

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
What else do you expect from a company that targets consumers that buy overpriced computers based on looks?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

'Pro' users want the color/viewing angles of the 1280x800 screen, apparently. They can't find a better looking 1440x900 screen?

ULTRABOOKS ARE GETTING 13.3" 1920X1080 SCREENS COME ON

Still 5400rpm hard drives...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

shrughes posted:

What else do you expect from a company that targets consumers that buy overpriced computers based on looks?
Couldn't be more wrong!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Boris Galerkin posted:

My SuperDrive is broken. [...] Is it safe for me to just pull it out of my MBP without replacing it with a HDD or anything?

Yup.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Pro users like to take time with their data. You know, really get to know it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Other than having an inlet for dust there now..

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

shrughes posted:

Nice drive-by troll.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Haven't even powered the last two on with the platter drives installed :smug:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Other than having an inlet for dust there now..

A little bit of electrical tape or something would do the trick, but if you're cracking the thing open and removing the DVD drive you might as well spend the $150 it would take to get a caddy and an SSD for that spot. It will still weigh less than the DVD drive and won't hurt your battery life in any noticeable fashion, but you'll get all that SSD goodness.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A little bit of electrical tape or something would do the trick, but if you're cracking the thing open and removing the DVD drive you might as well spend the $150 it would take to get a caddy and an SSD for that spot. It will still weigh less than the DVD drive and won't hurt your battery life in any noticeable fashion, but you'll get all that SSD goodness.

Seriously, I've been running that setup for over a year now and it's loving awesome.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

For a newbie *~~ MAC USER ~~*<3 is there some sort of tutorial for this? You mean you remove the DVD drive completely and add a second hard drive, right? (Macbook Pro 13)

I'm just wondering how hard it would be, because I've used my laptop's DVD drive like twice, ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Super easy.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/optibay_install.html

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
That rumored spec sheet better be a photoshop. That is the most underwhelming crap. I need a new laptop and like others the 13" is absolutely the perfect size but 5400 drive and 1280x800 is not going to cut it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You kinda missed the part where I said I already have a SSD (well, it'll get here tomorrow) to replace the HDD and that I don't need the extra space of having a SSD+HDD. Electrical tape it is.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Intdaddesting... Thanks! This is what I think he's installing: http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB-MB15&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

Might be interesting to try it on a weekend or something... As long as they include everything that's needed, it's pretty affordable.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

calcio posted:

That rumored spec sheet better be a photoshop. That is the most underwhelming crap. I need a new laptop and like others the 13" is absolutely the perfect size but 5400 drive and 1280x800 is not going to cut it.

Assuming this is real (disregarding that people have already created photoshops with better specs): I could imagine that at least on the 13", the retina display could be a BTO option in order to be able to advertise it as "from $999" or similar. I'd also hate the laughable 4GB by the way. That's just not "pro" anymore nowadays and even 16 can be had for less than $100 now.

e: And now supposedly Mac Pros are being pulled from the stores and new SKUs are showing up. Interesting. I hope the same will happen to 17" MBPs.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 5, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cool, an extra $100 for eSATA, USB 3 and audio ports. Plus another $45 if you want the Thunderbolt cable they make for it.

Honestly, at that price I'd be seriously looking at just buying another Thunderbolt Display. It'd only cost me about $550AU more and it's entirely possible Apple will update them to have USB 3 ports (not that it really matters) along with the other Macs.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

calcio posted:

It's been said a bunch of times but the 13"s were probably never getting a real bump until the lower-wattage Ivy Bridge chips are available (after this month)?

Bryne fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 5, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you check one or two pages back, I think I asked the same thing and somebody posted a caddy for the optical bay for $10 or so. The concensus was also to just use CCC or similar to clone the HDD to the SSD and then do the swap. My SSD is on the delivery truck right now so that's what I'll do tonight after work.

Does Filevault's FDE play nice with SSDs? One of my standard practices is to fill a new hard drive with random data using dd before using FDE do that my data is both encrypted and that there's no chance for people to tell where my data even is. But I get the feeling that this creates unnecessary wear on a SSD and I shouldn't do this. As long as I can clone my current drive to the SSD and turn on FDE then I'm happy.

It's a mac mini, not an MBP. There's no optical drive.

wooger posted:

I don't understand why you need to spend a combined $100 on a 2nd hard drive kit, that sounds a crazy amount of money - where is that from?

I found this on eBay for $59: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Second-SSD-...ff#ht_500wt_922

No reason why a little bracket should cost even that much though, so I'd keep looking or prepare to Jerry rig it with some double sided tape - ssd mounting doesn't matter much.

It's not the bracket that I need, it's the cable. I was looking on ifixit, since they do have the cable, in addition to the motherboard removal tool needed to get to the insides.

Doesn't work with OS install disks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jwoven posted:

Doesn't work with OS install disks.

No, that's exactly what it's for. That line means it doesn't work if you want to install say, Windows or Linux

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2129

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

calcio posted:

It is probably just the poverty spec model. The rumors are speaking towards the air screen being an option.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

calcio posted:

The same person who posted that spec sheet also posted specs for the 15" MBP that still had a sandy bridge processor and basically no other upgrades to speak of, so I would guess it's either the bottom end cheap model or that the guy is full of poo poo.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011

Didn't they drop Mac from the OS X branding? I'm guessing the real deal wouldn't say Mac OS X on the box.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Good catch. I really hope that's fake. I badly need a new laptop to replace my 2006 MacBook, but hell if I'm going to spend over a thousand on something that underwhelming.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Vidmaster posted:

The same person who posted that spec sheet also posted specs for the 15" MBP that still had a sandy bridge processor and basically no other upgrades to speak of, so I would guess it's either the bottom end cheap model or that the guy is full of poo poo.

Is what I'd put my money on.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
AppleInsider is dropping the rumor that there will be 14 new Mac models announced next Monday.

If I were to guess, I think that any Mac machine that doesn't use a mobile processor (Everything except Macbook Airs and Mac Minis) will see an announcement if this is the case. Or it could just be loving everything.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/06/part_numbers_suggest_apple_may_refresh_most_of_mac_lineup_at_wwdc.html

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 6, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's the sticker everyone expected to see:

If this were true, I'd find it odd that Apple would offer a laptop with 16GB of memory when a 12-core Pro comes with a whopping 6GB.

The 13" label looks way more 'realer'

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Unless they're planning on revamping the Mac Pro at the same time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FlashBangBob posted:

Unless they're planning on revamping the Mac Pro at the same time.

Yea, I guess 6GB was more realistic 2 years ago or whenever the current Pro came out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

jwoven posted:

It's not the bracket that I need, it's the cable. I was looking on ifixit, since they do have the cable, in addition to the motherboard removal tool needed to get to the insides.

I got the cable from powerbookmedic before ifixit had them, but I'd recommend going with ifixit's kit as it has the grommets to mount the hard drive in the spot for it. Otherwise you'll need to use a fabric hair tie or something to keep the drive in place. There's nowhere else to get the mounting stuff separately.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Don't know if this has been posted, but a fairly legit looking rundown of the AU launch prices of the new stuff:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/06/new-macs-spec-sheet-leaks-out-into-the-internet-pricing-and-names-included/

Using the current AU priced entry level macbook as a benchmark, I ran a dumb projection:

pre:
Model	        AU	US Proj   	Current
MBP 15 L	2499	2141.643	1799
MBP 15 H	3199	2741.543	2199
iMac 21 L	1349	1156.093	1199
iMac 21 H	1689	1447.473	1499
iMac 27 L	1999	1713.143	1699
iMac 27 H	2499	2141.643	1999
Air 11 L	1099	941.843	        999
Air 11 H	1249	1070.393	1199
Air 13 L	1349	1156.093	1299
Air 13 H	1689	1447.473	1599
Mac Pro L	2999	2570.143	2499
Mac Pro H	4599	3941.343	3499
Server	        3599	3084.343	2999

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cygni posted:

Don't know if this has been posted, but a fairly legit looking rundown of the AU launch prices of the new stuff:

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/06/new-macs-spec-sheet-leaks-out-into-the-internet-pricing-and-names-included/

Using the current AU priced entry level macbook as a benchmark, I ran a dumb projection:

pre:
Model	        AU	US Proj   	Current
MBP 15 L	2499	2141.643	1799
MBP 15 H	3199	2741.543	2199
iMac 21 L	1349	1156.093	1199
iMac 21 H	1689	1447.473	1499
iMac 27 L	1999	1713.143	1699
iMac 27 H	2499	2141.643	1999
Air 11 L	1099	941.843	        999
Air 11 H	1249	1070.393	1199
Air 13 L	1349	1156.093	1299
Air 13 H	1689	1447.473	1599
Mac Pro L	2999	2570.143	2499
Mac Pro H	4599	3941.343	3499
Server	        3599	3084.343	2999

Those AU prices were including a 10% tax, dunno if you took that into account at all. Source: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/06/part_numbers_suggest_apple_may_refresh_most_of_mac_lineup_at_wwdc.html

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It'd be hilarious if they were USD prices.

$4,500 Macs? WELCOME BACK TO 1997 MAC PRICES

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mr. Despair posted:

Those AU prices were including a 10% tax, dunno if you took that into account at all. Source: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/06/part_numbers_suggest_apple_may_refresh_most_of_mac_lineup_at_wwdc.html

I didn't, feel free to subtract 10% from those numbers in your head.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The current 15 inch Pro has 14.4 x 9.8 x 0.95 inch dimensions.

The new one in that sticker has 13.5 x 9.2 x 0.74 inch dimensions.

That puts it about 25% thinner, and about 7% smaller in width and height too.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'd guess if they are debuting a new form factor, the 15" Pro will lead the charge with the 13" Pro catching up at the next revision (if not eventually axed in favor of promoting the 13" Air). Meanwhile the 13" Pro will continue to sell like crazy to college students using it as their sole computer.

If they are refreshing nearly 3/4 of the Mac line at once, changing the form factors for all of them as well would be a logistical nightmare.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

2560x1600 in 15" is loving glorious, but goodbye sweet dream of gaming at native panel resolution on the go. Not the concern for most Mac users, but still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

movax posted:

2560x1600 in 15" is loving glorious, but goodbye sweet dream of gaming at native panel resolution on the go. Not the concern for most Mac users, but still sucks.

So just run stuff at 1280x800 which scales properly (I know what you mean, though).