Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm bringing this topic back to life because I need some DIY help!

See, I own a clear Obitsu. It looks exactly like this:

Right now my doll is headless as well. Why? Because I hate how the clear head looks. It makes it look like a creepy mannequin and know amount of face-ups can help! So I was hoping people could help me think of better heads to give it. I don't care of they're clear or not.

What I've thought of so far:

1) Normal Obitsu heads (Problem: They're all ugly too)
2) Pullip Head (Problem: Holy poo poo expensive)
3) Little Pullip head (Tried it. It looks terrible)

Anyone else have any ideas? I've thought about making a head, but I'm not too sure how I'd go about doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
You could try Volks Dollfie heads (just scroll down):
http://www.volksusa.com/dollfie.html

And Parabox carries its own line of heads as well as the Obitsu stuff:
http://parabox.jp/eng_new/o_body.html

Aaaaand if you're feeling really hybrid-y, there are always people selling off random doll heads of all kinds on The Doll Page:
http://www.thedollpage.com/ads/

Good luck!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Has anyone ever attached a non-permanent mohawk to a doll's head? Double sided tape isn't working and I'd like to be able to change them out.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Has anyone ever attached a non-permanent mohawk to a doll's head? Double sided tape isn't working and I'd like to be able to change them out.

If you don't need a baldie, try a thin strip of velcro. Or sew the mohawks to a bald cap?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

You could probably rare earth magnet those.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Pick posted:

You could probably rare earth magnet those.

That's what I'm thinking I'll do. I think to give the wig a solid base to put the magnets in I'm going to make a curved wig "cap" out of plaster bandages that will fit to the doll's scalp.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm bringing this topic back to life because I need some DIY help!

See, I own a clear Obitsu. It looks exactly like this:

Right now my doll is headless as well. Why? Because I hate how the clear head looks. It makes it look like a creepy mannequin and know amount of face-ups can help! So I was hoping people could help me think of better heads to give it. I don't care of they're clear or not.

What I've thought of so far:

1) Normal Obitsu heads (Problem: They're all ugly too)
2) Pullip Head (Problem: Holy poo poo expensive)
3) Little Pullip head (Tried it. It looks terrible)

Anyone else have any ideas? I've thought about making a head, but I'm not too sure how I'd go about doing it.

Can you post a picture of the clear head for this body? What size did you get in the end? It's kind of hard finding stuff for the clear obitsus but the clear head I did manage to find online looked like it had potential to me.

Were'nt you planning on making your doll all silver like a cyborg-y type thing?

^ for Mohawk: I'd go with velcro and a longer style of mohawk in fake fur so you can cover up the edges of it. Something like this:

:nws: for doll boobs

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?502647-.-The-Girl-Who-Played-With-Fire-.-%28Gothy-Iple-Carina-some-nudity%29
:nws:

I wish I hadn't looked at that thread because I'm too poor to buy an Iplehouse Carina.

Her Dark Throne
Apr 30, 2011
Argh. :(

I wish I never bought my BBB Isabella. I decided to sell her a month ago but so far there's been no takers. I've included tons of extras, restrung her, hot glue sueded her...but nothing.

Am I stuck with this doll forever. :smithicide:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Can you post a picture of the clear head for this body? What size did you get in the end? It's kind of hard finding stuff for the clear obitsus but the clear head I did manage to find online looked like it had potential to me.

Were'nt you planning on making your doll all silver like a cyborg-y type thing?

Here's the head still covered in silver paint:

and here's one that's had the clear paint washed off

The only problem is that I bought my doll used, and the person who cleaned the silver paint off did so in a way that left a slight yellow tinge. The damned thing is also covered in cracks! :argh:

I thought about making her a robot, but right now I'm willing to settle for getting her a decent head. And for the record I also have a spare head that still have silver on it.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
In case anyone is interested, I found a Flickr group dedicated to sewing patterns for Littlefees/YoSDs. Lots of jumper/dress patterns, perfect for summer! :3:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I hope this isn't spammy to post this, but if anyone was interested in buying a doll secondhand, I put my Custom House/Ai Dolls Little Junior Jupiter up on ebay, starting at $50. If you're interested, you can PM me for the link, or look for it on ebay. :)

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
This thread has inspired me to try making some customs! Figured I'd start out cheap, and picked up some Monster High Build-a-Monster sets... I've got plenty of acrylic paint, so we'll see how it goes! If I end up liking it, maybe I'll put some more money into it and see about airbrushing.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Sweet Gulch posted:

This thread has inspired me to try making some customs! Figured I'd start out cheap, and picked up some Monster High Build-a-Monster sets... I've got plenty of acrylic paint, so we'll see how it goes! If I end up liking it, maybe I'll put some more money into it and see about airbrushing.

Awesome! Try experimenting with chalk pastels before investing in an airbrush. It still gives that beautiful soft look but it's cheaper to pick up. :)

Shameless plugging: I'm selling my Tong Tong if anyone wants a "BJD starter kit". Affordable Yo-SD, comes with clothes, eyes, and props! She's really new, less than three months old. Never had a face up or anything. If you're interested shoot me a PM here or on DOA. My DOA username is MissIscariot

Speaking of DOA, does anybody still need an invite?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Speaking of DOA, does anybody still need an invite?

I could use one. I'm not sure if I'm going to take up this sort of thing but I kind of like the idea of knitting tiny shawls, but they'd be pretty useless without something to put them on.

That's a pretty broad definition of 'not useless', I realize.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sweet Gulch posted:

This tumblr tends to post cool looking Monster High mods, so you might want to poke around. I'm not that crazy about the dolls myself (can't stand the heads) but they can look pretty drat snazzy.

neongrey posted:

I could use one. I'm not sure if I'm going to take up this sort of thing but I kind of like the idea of knitting tiny shawls, but they'd be pretty useless without something to put them on.

That's a pretty broad definition of 'not useless', I realize.

Do what I did and pick up a cheap Obitsu doll for your knitting urges. It'll only run about $30ish instead of $100+, and if you get the kind with magnets in the feet they're fun to pose in stupid ways! :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't want to break the bank on it. Something I can make to resemble an old RPG character of mine that I can dress in cute tiny knitwear would be nice but, you know, I have enough expensive hobbies.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

neongrey posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't want to break the bank on it. Something I can make to resemble an old RPG character of mine that I can dress in cute tiny knitwear would be nice but, you know, I have enough expensive hobbies.

Junky Spot is where I got my Obitsu from. Fast and safe shipping, great customer support, and everything listed on the site is in stock and ready to send out.

The downside is that you will get a box that has large stickers on it saying "THERE IS A DOLL IN HERE PLEASE BE CAREFUL" in bright purple and black with a picture of a BJD next to it. I got a weird look from my mail man for that. :v:

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Make sure to check out your other options as well. Both Knitter and I have had second thoughts about Obitsus after buying them. Just take a look at some other lower-end dolls available on The Junky Spot or the DOA Marketplace. :)

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
These things are so expensive. I don't own any mainly because of the cost, and Obitsu/Resinsoul/Bobobie sculpts don't really do it for me. But they're so beautiful (sometimes) they really catch my eye.

edit: Oh, and I recommend recasts if you're okay with that sort of thing. I know a lot of people in the BJD hobby are all up in arms about them but they're way more affordable and they're not really that bad quality.

cubivore fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 5, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

cubivore posted:

These things are so expensive. I don't own any mainly because of the cost, and Obitsu/Resinsoul/Bobobie sculpts don't really do it for me. But they're so beautiful (sometimes) they really catch my eye.

edit: Oh, and I recommend recasts if you're okay with that sort of thing. I know a lot of people in the BJD hobby are all up in arms about them but they're way more affordable and they're not really that bad quality.

EDIT: Removed recast talk.

If those brands don't appeal to you, check out 5Stardoll and Fantasy Doll. Somebody's selling a couple of Fantasy Dolls on the DOA MP for a decent price right now.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 6, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Part of me still wants to make a Tong Tong/Soom Glot hybrid just because I think it'd look cute, but right now I'm too busy saving up for my :swoon:Dream Doll:swoon:

And, you know, paying my bills and boring stuff like that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cubivore posted:

I thought the issue was less the quality and more that these dolls are normally expensive because there's little-to-no economy of scale and thus that's what the artists have to charge to survive.

I would buy a recast Volks doll though because screw Volks :argh:.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Pick posted:

I thought the issue was less the quality and more that these dolls are normally expensive because there's little-to-no economy of scale and thus that's what the artists have to charge to survive.

I would buy a recast Volks doll though because screw Volks :argh:.
Yeah, I've seen both arguments, people saying recast dolls are toxic and the cost thing. Though, if the recast guys can survive just making recasts at a much lower rate why are the artist dolls so much more expensive? Beyond creating the original sculpt and molds I don't see their costs being that much higher. Admittedly, I have no clue about this sort of stuff so I could be totally wrong, so I'd be up to people informing me otherwise.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So I'm planning on saving up for this doll, and I'm getting it in white. I know that yellowing is simply part of life but I'd like to prevent it as much as possible. Outside of keeping it away from sunlight, what else can I do? And is there any way to reverse yellowing once it happens?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Please take recast discussions to either Castaways or DOA. There are plenty of threads for both sides of the debate there. Sorry, I just want to keep the arguments out of the thread. :(

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

So I'm planning on saving up for this doll, and I'm getting it in white. I know that yellowing is simply part of life but I'd like to prevent it as much as possible. Outside of keeping it away from sunlight, what else can I do? And is there any way to reverse yellowing once it happens?
Keep it out of the sun, in complete darkness, forever.

I heard you can do oxyclean baths and also dyeing it(?) with varying levels of success.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I KNOW there was a thread on DOA on how to (slightly) reverse yellowing. I remember it had to do with swabbing the resin with some kind of alcohol. Hell if I can remember where the thread went to.

EDIT: Found it.

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 6, 2012

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
It should go without saying that linking to illegal items is against forum rules, same as with drugs, designer knockoffs, warez, serials, etc. Discussion is fine.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
All links to sites about recasts removed. Carry on.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

cubivore posted:

Keep it out of the sun, in complete darkness, forever.

I'm planning a little curtained off area on my bookshelf. I hope that'll be enough. :ohdear:

I KNOW there was a thread on DOA on how to (slightly) reverse yellowing. I remember it had to do with swabbing the resin with some kind of alcohol. Hell if I can remember where the thread went to.

EDIT: Found it.

I've heard of doing something similar with other plastics. I'll have to give it a shot if it gets really yellow. And hey, I need more practice with face ups anyway. :v:

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.

With dolls in odd colours, or even ones that are just tanned, it's a bit of a crapshoot how they'll react to sun/oxidisation and all that stuff. Batchix has been making dolls for long time now, so I imagine she takes stuff like that into account if she makes prototypes (I presume she does).

The yellowing thing is mostly overblown and is often more noticeable in white skin dolls (as opposed to normal). Usually it's either down to bad batches of resin or exposure to sunlight and French resin mixes are especially prone to it. I've got several different dolls from different companies; most are 5 years old plus and I think the worst yellowing I have is on the Luts white skin dolls. I mean they don't look like bananas or anything but they are slightly more yellow.

I've got a Dollmore white skin Banji that's still the colour of paper and a Custom House white skin boy who's the same - they are both at least 5 years old.

My ancient Volks (5 years+) have yellowed a teenie bit (I have white, normal and tanned), but I'd say it's more that their skin tone has warmed rather than yellowed. They're all still an attractive colour.

All my dolls have been kept in darkness unless I've brought them out for a photoshoot.

Wandering Knitter, your obitsu is vinyl isn't it? Oxy 10 is often used for cleaning up vinyl dolls AFAIK. I've never done it before so you'd better consult the magical internet. I still think your doll is pretty groovy.

If I had one and had a metric shitton of MSC I'd coat her and reblush her silvery with pastel, rinse and repeat, then recoat and blush in a darker colour for detailing on certain bits. The only problem with this plan is chipping of the coating at the joints if you re-pose them too often.

BTW watch out using any form of spray paint and some acrylic paints on vinyl - sometimes they react and the paint refuses to dry. It remains all sticky and gooey. I'd stick with pastels.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

With dolls in odd colours, or even ones that are just tanned, it's a bit of a crapshoot how they'll react to sun/oxidisation and all that stuff. Batchix has been making dolls for long time now, so I imagine she takes stuff like that into account if she makes prototypes (I presume she does).

The yellowing thing is mostly overblown and is often more noticeable in white skin dolls (as opposed to normal). Usually it's either down to bad batches of resin or exposure to sunlight and French resin mixes are especially prone to it. I've got several different dolls from different companies; most are 5 years old plus and I think the worst yellowing I have is on the Luts white skin dolls. I mean they don't look like bananas or anything but they are slightly more yellow.

I've got a Dollmore white skin Banji that's still the colour of paper and a Custom House white skin boy who's the same - they are both at least 5 years old.

My ancient Volks (5 years+) have yellowed a teenie bit (I have white, normal and tanned), but I'd say it's more that their skin tone has warmed rather than yellowed. They're all still an attractive colour.

All my dolls have been kept in darkness unless I've brought them out for a photoshoot.

Wandering Knitter, your obitsu is vinyl isn't it? Oxy 10 is often used for cleaning up vinyl dolls AFAIK. I've never done it before so you'd better consult the magical internet. I still think your doll is pretty groovy.

If I had one and had a metric shitton of MSC I'd coat her and reblush her silvery with pastel, rinse and repeat, then recoat and blush in a darker colour for detailing on certain bits. The only problem with this plan is chipping of the coating at the joints if you re-pose them too often.

BTW watch out using any form of spray paint and some acrylic paints on vinyl - sometimes they react and the paint refuses to dry. It remains all sticky and gooey. I'd stick with pastels.

Thanks for the advice! I'm planning on getting the robot doll in white, so I just want to be prepared for any future yellowing. Though from the sounds of it I shouldn't be too worried! Now I can focus my efforts on learning how to do face ups. I'll have to see if I can find a cheap floating head to practice on.

and I have no plans on body blushing any part of the clear doll. I'm just kicking around ideas on what to do with her head.

Also, the damned thing is covered in cracks! :argh: The last owner "forgot" to mention them, and then vanished into the night when I confronted her about it.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Was someone giving out invites to Den of Angels? I'd love one if possible, but I don't have pm capabilities since I'm too cheap for plat (plus I wouldn't have much use for it anyway). If someone'd be up to giving me one, here's an email: matthifu@gmail.com

Hype
Apr 12, 2011

cubivore posted:

Was someone giving out invites to Den of Angels? I'd love one if possible, but I don't have pm capabilities since I'm too cheap for plat (plus I wouldn't have much use for it anyway). If someone'd be up to giving me one, here's an email: matthifu@gmail.com

Just sent you one! I have like 6 more if anyone else wants one.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Hype posted:

Just sent you one! I have like 6 more if anyone else wants one.
Thanks a lot!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

cubivore posted:

Thanks a lot!

As a "Welcome to DoA!" may I suggest checking out the topic Sexiest Doll Pics? :shepicide:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wish that the Iple Cyborg Bianca were a little less cheesecake, because wow :swoon:.

I think I have that harness too, but my girlfriend and I use it differently :shepface:.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I'd love an invite as well and lack plat! me at *redacted*, thanks!

Sweet Gulch fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 9, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Sweet Gulch posted:

I'd love an invite as well and lack plat! me at vickipohl.com, thanks!

Sent!

Edit: Can I take a moment to rage about how much I hate incorrectly placed piercings on dolls? Too-low bridge piercings are the worst offenders. You can't pierce your nose cartilage! :argh:

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Is there some sort of gallery of ugly/badly-modded dolls? The best I could find was the How to Torture Resin tumblr, but there's barely anything there. Maybe I should start my own. Or is this not kosher, because a lot of people in this hobby seem unstable and unable to take any bad things said about their doll?

• Locked thread