Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
They need to hire actual writers, and editors. They can come up with the ideas and the visuals (no questions there), but there's no one there to say "wait a minute, this script is garbage and makes no sense." See also, Hideo Kojima.

And that's why you end up with XIII's horrific pacing and extraneous cutscenes. Or the complexity addiction SE has for Kingdom Heart's plot, and the plot of things like Dissidia and XIII-2, where everything must be needlessly mired down in obtuse dialogues and plot-twists, for no other reason that to make it seem like it has more depth than it actually has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me how footage that doesn't come close to showing any gameplay or telling a story can build hype. I mean there are people who are still looking forward to Versus XIII? Based on what?!
Hell, any hype is mind-boggling when you consider the track record of Square-Enix.

On a lighter and more nostalgic note: does the theory that everyone's favourite FF game was their first hold true?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VagueRant posted:

On a lighter and more nostalgic note: does the theory that everyone's favourite FF game was their first hold true?

Nope because not only did I hate FFIV as a child it took me playing it on 4 different systems as an adult before I finally willed myself past the no metal items dungeon (via very, very heavy savestate abuse and fastforwarding).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VagueRant posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how footage that doesn't come close to showing any gameplay or telling a story can build hype. I mean there are people who are still looking forward to Versus XIII? Based on what?!
Hell, any hype is mind-boggling when you consider the track record of Square-Enix.

Nah, FF1 was the first I played as a wee lad, but I'd say 6 and 9 are probably my favorites now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
4 was my first, but I'd probably rank all 3 of the SNES games together in one group as my favorite. :shobon:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd go so far as to say a better theory would be that everyone's first FF is never their favorite. Played 7 first but now my faves are 12, 9 and 6.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To be fair though, FF1 was my first RPG period and I had no idea what I was doing despite having the Nintendo Power strategy guide. FF6 was probably the first where I really understood the game mechanics to any significant degree.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
FF7 was my first, FF9 is my favourite, FF5 is the one I think has the best gameplay.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

VagueRant posted:

Not me either. 7 was my first, yet I prefer 9 to it in almost every way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Started with 4, favorite is either 3 or 5 (I'm weird like that).

e: Still love 4 though.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 6, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Nope, it's just a fallacy thrown around by people who plug their ears and shout "ROSE TINTED GLASSES!!!" The first one I played was 4, then 7, then 8, then 6, then 5, then 9, and then the 1 a couple years later. 9's my absolute favorite, and after that, FF1.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm really happy to see that so many people count 9 as their favorite since internet opinion on it seems to vacillate a lot. I've always loved it and thought it was charming as hell. The only thing I would really change about it is the slowness of combat.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

VagueRant posted:

Well, they HAVE put out Versus XIII previews that had something very much like gameplay. Sure, it mostly looked like they slapped a new graphics engine over some kind of Kingdom Hearts gameplay, but there are worse options out there. Which is what makes it so baffling that the game has disappeared for the last year and a half- they seemed to have graphics and gameplay at least partially worked out, and then total blackout.

Anyway, the first FF I played was 4, but the first I owned and beat was 6. 6 still ranks in my top three with 12 and 9. 4 doesn't really rank.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Pablo Gigante posted:

I'm really happy to see that so many people count 9 as their favorite since internet opinion on it seems to vacillate a lot. I've always loved it and thought it was charming as hell. The only thing I would really change about it is the slowness of combat.

Echoing that 9 is my favourite. Started with 6 then 7,8 etc.
For those of you that never played 11, the plot(s) and setting are actually really interesting and are worth finding a website that does a summary with screenshots if you're bored.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
First was 7, favourite is 6, and I still have a soft spot for 3.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
First FF I played was the original. Don't have a favourite really, but XII, IV, V, VI, and VII would be at the top of my list.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Yar The Pirate posted:

I have no idea what the problem is with that tech demo. It makes me excited to see what Square has in store.

Thing is, all they got to show for this console gen is XIII and XIII-2 I guess (XIV doesn't count). Compare that to all the games they released back when the PS2 was around. Yeah. It sucks.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Six was my first and favorite so go figure. :shobon:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
7 was my first, but 12 and 13-2 are my favorites (12 beats 13-2, of course)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
6 was the first time I actually played Final Fantasy, and it's tied with 7 as my favorite.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

VaultAggie posted:

Six was my first and favorite so go figure. :shobon:

That's just because it is the best one, not because you played it first.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Who cares? It looks cool and could make for a good game if they explain what's going on. It's not difficult to see that it's a magic vs. technology war -- the insurgents have chemicals that can genetically gently caress with animals as well as carry modern weaponry, the mages have magic that can electrify and summon beasts.

FF Type-0 basically has this premise. I can't seem to find a video of it but the game's opening depicts a big battle between magic and tech users. The magic users get mercilessly slaughtered until motherfuckin' ODIN shows up.

EDIT: Found it. I guess it's NWS since it's rather violent for a FF game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klTvElxgqk8

EDIT2: drat I love that theme. Too bad it will never be released here :(

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Renoistic posted:

EDIT: Found it. I guess it's NWS since it's rather violent for a FF game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klTvElxgqk8

Bahamut getting gunned down: :stare:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Who cares? It looks cool and could make for a good game if they explain what's going on. It's not difficult to see that it's a magic vs. technology war

Kinda like FF8, your favoritest FF?

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Nope, it's just a fallacy thrown around by people who plug their ears and shout "ROSE TINTED GLASSES!!!" The first one I played was 4, then 7, then 8, then 6, then 5, then 9, and then the 1 a couple years later. 9's my absolute favorite, and after that, FF1.

I notice FF gets a huge internet pass because, besides being a good game, people feel guilty it was overlooked (by square, or the audience, I dunno) and the fact that its "throwback" concept never bogs it down into doing stupid things old games did, so it feels like a refinement. It's also the last "classicy" type fantasy, and more than a few fans connect the "modern" setting of the games with a decline in quality (even tho its a coincidence).

Yknow how people cite Advent Children as a bad example of making something based on fan memories rather than what something actually was? 9 is a good example of that, re: emulating older FF games.

Semirelatedly, watching a goon Lets Play of FF13-2 and the scenes where Light owns a bunch of poo poo on a magic horse, am I still amazed Square has yet to do a "Fabulous God of War" Kingdomhearts-battles-cranked-to-eleven spectacle fighter action game on a home console.

keet fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 6, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Krad posted:

Bahamut getting gunned down: :stare:
Was this confirmed for the US/EU? There was going to be an english patch but the people working on it gave up. :(

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I guess I'm one of the few who's first FF was their favorite. Played 10 first and then went back to the older ones, but it still remains my favorite. And from what I've heard, Type-0 actually turned out to be a stinker, which is a shame. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Was this confirmed for the US/EU? There was going to be an english patch but the people working on it gave up. :(

It has not been mentioned at E3 so it is extremely unlikely we're getting the PSP version.

There are rumors of a "Type-0 International" for the Vita but nothing to back them up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

Semirelatedly, watching a goon Lets Play of FF13-2 and the scenes where Light owns a bunch of poo poo on a magic horse, am I still amazed Square has yet to do a "Fabulous God of War" Kingdomhearts-battles-cranked-to-eleven spectacle fighter action game on a home console.

They tried, Drakengard was an unplayable piece of poo poo and Square is generally afraid of ever trying the same thing twice.

I'm curious if that PSP port of FF5 is still in the works. :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Minrad posted:

They tried, Drakengard was an unplayable piece of poo poo and Square is generally afraid of ever trying the same thing twice.

Nier, on the other hand...

But that's not SE.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Krad posted:

Nier, on the other hand...

But that's not SE.

I thought they published it, with Cavia developing, same as Drakengard.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Yeah, they just published. It's like saying Batman AA and AC were made by them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Oh, oops. Still, didn't it do pretty lousy either way? I know it sold a sequel but I always heard a lot of bad reviews and never heard much about the game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
FF4 was my first, and nearly my least favorite (only a bit better in some ways than Mystic Quest).

The best FF is obviously Tactics. :colbert: if I had to pick a numbered game, it's definitely 7.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Minrad posted:

Oh, oops. Still, didn't it do pretty lousy either way? I know it sold a sequel but I always heard a lot of bad reviews and never heard much about the game.

It was a great game but sold like crap. I've heard they're making a mint selling the various soundtracks, though (I've bought most of them myself).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It was a great game but sold like crap. I've heard they're making a mint selling the various soundtracks, though (I've bought most of them myself).

I think they're talking about Drakkengard not Nier which is pretty much the opposite in every sense. The soundtrack is on purpose discordant and repetitive noise.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Barudak posted:

I think they're talking about Drakkengard not Nier which is pretty much the opposite in every sense. The soundtrack is on purpose discordant and repetitive noise.

Whoops, you're right. The Drakengard 1 soundtrack is amazing, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Renoistic posted:

Whoops, you're right. The Drakengard 1 soundtrack is amazing, though.

i. hear. a. sound.

"I burn in a basin of fire-"

And for how utterly bad the sequel was, in terms of lack of fuckedupness, it had some drat fine music:

Forbidden Prelude

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
first was 10, played 11th (before i understood what an mmo was), then 13 :v:

I feel like i got the short end of the stick :(

from that "list" i'd say 10 was my favorite (probably the only one out of the three with the jrpg mechanics), never got past seymour/his mama however

bef fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Schwartzcough posted:

Kinda like FF8, your favoritest FF?

We're talking about games that make actual sense here.

Also, Drakengard II's OST is better than the first and is one of my favorite soundtracks ever.