Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The sheer number of nWo beatdowns doesn't really surprise me too much, but the amount of times "garbage" appears is really baffling. How could WCW let the fans continue to do that? Did they just love the visual of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How would they stop them? And I can't blame WCW for putting the nWo over so much. It beats the poo poo out of Vince and his proclivity for having his main-event face be loving unstoppable all the time. The nWo mattered for two years. The Nexus didn't matter after a month. Hell, the nWo under WWE didn't matter after a month. The only heel stable to mean a drat in WWE was Evolution and even then it was only because the writer's husband was in charge.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I loved it when they filled the ring with garbage.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Deadpool posted:

12/29/07 - Sting and Hogan match to end show. "Fans we're out of time!" before match finishes.
Oh man, pulling an out of time on a replayed match, that just transcends arrogance to me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LividLiquid posted:

The only heel stable to mean a drat in WWE was Evolution and even then it was only because the writer's husband was in charge.

The Corporation, The Nation, The Ministry, The Hart Foundation, Mean Street Posse...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh man, pulling an out of time on a replayed match, that just transcends arrogance to me.

It was a rematch from Starrcade, not a replay.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Astro7x posted:

It was a rematch from Starrcade, not a replay.
Ohhhh was it? I thought it was a replay a la Halloween Havoc in 98, well then!

I object to "we're out of time" on a match too, but not as strenuously.

Astro7x posted:

The Corporation, The Nation, The Ministry, The Hart Foundation, Mean Street Posse...
I love that the company was so hot during that era that this isn't even really a joke like one might expect it to be.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lone Rogue posted:

I loved it when they filled the ring with garbage.

WCW or the fans?

:downsrim:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love that the company was so hot during that era that this isn't even really a joke like one might expect it to be.

I looked at the Spirit Squad as a modern day Posse. They both squash match job guys who had enough heat to be put in matches with top guys sometimes.

Yes of course the Spirit Squad had way more talent, but they were still portrayed as goofballs like the Posse.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
WCW Uncensored is truly the holy grail of bad PPVs. The only thing that can come close to it in terms of badness is the Heroes of Wrestling show with drunk Jake the Sanem Roberts IMO.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Psychlone posted:

WCW Uncensored is truly the holy grail of bad PPVs. The only thing that can come close to it in terms of badness is the Heroes of Wrestling show with drunk Jake the Sanem Roberts IMO.

What about the most recent molestation of ECW's corpse that Shane Douglas put on about a month ago?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh okay I didn't know that. Tell you what I'd like to see though, Cena vs Big Show! See, I don't think that Cena could AA the Big Show... and if he could, well he certainly couldn't put him in the STF, so they could make the rematch a submission match. Money to be made there.

I'm currently reading this thread through and this post from over a year ago is hilarious.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What about the most recent molestation of ECW's corpse that Shane Douglas put on about a month ago?

Was that a PPV?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Perry Normal posted:

Was that a PPV?

iPPV, I believe. There's another one coming up at the end of the month it looks like!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Astro7x posted:

Run by Vince, tweeners, personal favor to Taker to let him work less matches (and eventually run by Vince), during Vince's pre-Attitude panic period, run by Shane.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hear that Scott Norton was being payed $800,000 a year by WCW.
Nearly a million dollars for a midcarder to be fat and surly and not sell anything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I posted:

I hear that Scott Norton was being payed $800,000 a year by WCW.
Nearly a million dollars for a midcarder to be fat and surly and not sell anything.

I doubt Norton was making that much since he was splitting his time with NJPW. Maybe between the two. Scott Norton is awesome.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I remember him showing up one Nitro wearing the IWGP Heavy belt on his shoulder and absolutely nobody saying a word about it :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

404GoonNotFound posted:

Run by Vince, tweeners, personal favor to Taker to let him work less matches (and eventually run by Vince), during Vince's pre-Attitude panic period, run by Shane.
Alright then, heel WWF Stables that means a drat that can't be written off for those reasons....who's left then? Camp Cornette? Million Dollar Corporation?

Alternative comedy options I came up with: Pretty Mean Sisters, The Un-Amercians, Team RECK, X-Factor, Right to Censor

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Alternative comedy options I came up with: Pretty Mean Sisters, The Un-Amercians, Team RECK, X-Factor, Right to Censor

Girls, featured too many Canadians, held together with broken necks, crappy theme song, run by Stevie Richards. They just can't build heel stables like they used to. And they used to not be able to build them either.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Best heel stable in WWF history was the Bobby Heenan Family.

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012
Oh man, this thread takes me back to when I was a kid and into all this stuff. Frankly, (for me, personally) WCW started to come back when they started the nWo storyline, that was something that blew my little mind and man did I love to see Sting fending them off with a bat. Hahaha, I can still see the fake stings pouring out of the crowd and jumping into the ring until real sting dropped down from the rafters. Every time he showed up to beat the crap out of the nWo group I went nuts.

But then, it happened. For some ungodly reason sting turned and joined nWo, and that was the exact moment I stopped watching WCW and went to WWF for a few months before giving up wrestling all-together. Something about seeing my favorite guy join the heels like that turned me off entirely.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Whoops. I meant to say in the last decade or so. Thirteen years, really.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Astro7x posted:

Alright then, heel WWF Stables that means a drat that can't be written off for those reasons....who's left then? Camp Cornette? Million Dollar Corporation?

Okay fine, I was reaching a bit there. I'll give you the Harts, but even then they were immune to heat outside of America. Goddamn Bizarro World :psyduck:

Still say the Ministry shouldn't count, since the only reason they were so dominant was Taker's MASSIVE pull backstage. On the bright side, at least it lead to APA, Edge, and Taker's best theme EVER.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 6, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

404GoonNotFound posted:

Okay fine, I was reaching a bit there. I'll give you the Harts, but even then they were immune to heat outside of America. Goddamn Bizarro World :psyduck:

Still say the Ministry shouldn't count, since the only reason they were so dominant was Taker's MASSIVE pull backstage. On the bright side, at least it lead to APA, Edge, and Taker's best theme EVER.

The horsemen were only dominant was due to Flair's pull backstage.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Blckdrgn posted:

But then, it happened. For some ungodly reason sting turned and joined nWo, and that was the exact moment I stopped watching WCW and went to WWF for a few months before giving up wrestling all-together. Something about seeing my favorite guy join the heels like that turned me off entirely.

To be fair, Sting joined the face (or at least tweener) version of nWo, the Wolfpac. I don't think he ever really turned heel for it. More that Nash and Konnan did a half-assed face turn.

But you're absolutely right. I think a number of people have pointed out in this thread that Sting joining the nWo was one of the biggest "gently caress this company" moments for them. I know it was for me.

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012
What is sting doing now, by the way. I heard he was going onto TNA with similar face paint again to go up against Hogan. Sounds crazy.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Perry Normal posted:

To be fair, Sting joined the face (or at least tweener) version of nWo, the Wolfpac. I don't think he ever really turned heel for it. More that Nash and Konnan did a half-assed face turn.

But you're absolutely right. I think a number of people have pointed out in this thread that Sting joining the nWo was one of the biggest "gently caress this company" moments for them. I know it was for me.

Then after his match with Hart at HH '98 he kinda just disappeared, then the NWO went heel again. He came back in March without any face paint for his return and no NWO ties... it was really strange.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blckdrgn posted:

What is sting doing now, by the way. I heard he was going onto TNA with similar face paint again to go up against Hogan. Sounds crazy.

He randomly came back from injuring his stupid self to challenge the champ who just won the record for longest running champ, he then beat him in a non title match purely to kill any momentum he had and now is gonna main event with him in a title match at the next ppv.

He's like, imagine if the Undertaker had zero air of fear and mystery around him, but still just randomly showed up to wreck people for no real stakes other than stroking the ego of an old man who should have retired ages ago.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Blckdrgn posted:

Well, he's The Joker now. And once held Bischoff hostage with a bird.

Yes, I'm serious

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I cannot stand Joker Sting and I wonder if anyone has ever outright asked him or anyone in TNA about the fact that the entire gimmick is a direct lift from 'the Dark Knight'

And it's not a "Gee, Razor Ramon is from Miami, sounds like Tony Montana and has razor blades on his tights..." type of thing. Everything from the facepaint to the clothing to the voice to the mannerisms to the "trying to corrupt Hulk Hogan" storyline is 100% stolen from that movie. It's sad and pathetic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I cannot stand Joker Sting and I wonder if anyone has ever outright asked him or anyone in TNA about the fact that the entire gimmick is a direct lift from 'the Dark Knight'

And it's not a "Gee, Razor Ramon is from Miami, sounds like Tony Montana and has razor blades on his tights..." type of thing. Everything from the facepaint to the clothing to the voice to the mannerisms to the "trying to corrupt Hulk Hogan" storyline is 100% stolen from that movie. It's sad and pathetic.

Scott Hall quoted Scarface and Vince thought it was genius since he never heard about those moving pictures. Also Crow Sting was pretty bad and pretty blatantly stolen. Sting just loves to steal from movies where the actors died. Stings next gimmick is going to be a director who loves to have kids and actors film scenes late night with helicopters.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't get it either... Crow Sting at least was kind of original, but this Joker gimmick is horrible because it seems so forced.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How was Crow Sting original?

I honestly don't see the difference between Joker Sing and Crow Sting or Razor Ramon. Wrestling does this all the time. I was watching some FCW and Husky Harris' new gimmick is a direct lift from Cape Fear. And it's the second time WWE has done that exact one. Razor straight up quoted Scarface.

Don't get me wrong, I dont have a problem with people hating it. It seems like a very love it or hate it gimmick. I just really dont get why it's any different from his iconic character ripped off from a movie or Razor, the only differences I can see are a) Ledger's Joker is put on some kind of pedestal, or b) "haha, TNA."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Scott Hall quoted Scarface and Vince thought it was genius since he never heard about those moving pictures. Also Crow Sting was pretty bad and pretty blatantly stolen. Sting just loves to steal from movies where the actors died. Stings next gimmick is going to be a director who loves to have kids and actors film scenes late night with helicopters.

Jesus Christ. Didn't expect to see a Vic Morrow joke anywhere.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

LvK posted:

Jesus Christ. Didn't expect to see a Vic Morrow joke anywhere.

Anything can happen here in the Punch Sport Pagoda! :v:

Sailor
Apr 2, 2007

Who needs balls when you've got guts.

STAC Goat posted:

How was Crow Sting original?

I honestly don't see the difference between Joker Sing and Crow Sting or Razor Ramon. Wrestling does this all the time. I was watching some FCW and Husky Harris' new gimmick is a direct lift from Cape Fear. And it's the second time WWE has done that exact one. Razor straight up quoted Scarface.

I guess the best way I can try to make a distinction is Crow Sting felt like his own character who was painting his face like the Crow as so many goths are prone to doing, while Joker Sting could be any scrub in the world pretending specifically to be Heath Ledger's Joker.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I liked joker sting because it seems like this is the most fun hes had in wrestling in years.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sailor posted:

I guess the best way I can try to make a distinction is Crow Sting felt like his own character who was painting his face like the Crow as so many goths are prone to doing, while Joker Sting could be any scrub in the world pretending specifically to be Heath Ledger's Joker.

Exactly. Anybody could have done that gimmick if you dressed them up like the Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Crow Sting kicked rear end because it wasn't that long ago that Sting was the super badass fun-loving surfer Sting. Crow Sting was a massive shock to my kid brain.