Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

randombattle posted:

Metal Gear Rising is basically Bayonetta 2 at this point. Raiden has execution moves and everything now.

Plus there is Anarchy Rains so the world is not lost for Bayonetta.

Well, Sega seems to have killed Anarchy Reigns, too. At least for America. It's bad enough Platinum's official stance at this point is "import it, we went ahead and put full English support in it for you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

"Dante the Demon Killer" does not have a nice ring to it. Maybe it's an awful line, or maybe it's the delivery. Probably both.

I keep wanting to give this a chance, and I probably will, but the lack of taunt, lock-on, and having two evade buttons is irking the hell out of me. Evade could easily be part of the jump button if used with a lock-on (y'know, like it's always been, aside from Trickster).

The world actually seems kind of neat though, and Kat's ability sounds cool. The Anonymous "parallel"? Utter poo poo, trying way too hard. DMC has never been some incredibly serious drama, but even if this is an attempt at humor it falls flat. The music could stand to be less terrible, too. They've got until January to make this better.

I'm glad that the HUD is just pre-alpha or whatever though. :v:

I'm just hoping this does well enough to fund a "proper" Devil May Cry sequel, but I have this bad feeling that that's not going to happen. On the plus side I've been convincing people to buy the DMC HD collection and they've all been enjoying it, so new people to talk to about the series is nice to have.

ed: Welp, website has a pre-order "weapon pack" and "character perk" bonus. Not sure how I feel about that.

wildzero fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 6, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ximum posted:

Well, Sega seems to have killed Anarchy Reigns, too. At least for America. It's bad enough Platinum's official stance at this point is "import it, we went ahead and put full English support in it for you."

They play Anarchy Reigns trailers in gamestop all the time.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I think the best thing that could happen is that DmC does awfully and then we get a DMC5 that is close to as good as DMC3 was.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

toasterwarrior posted:

This is still one of the best cutscenes in any video game I've played. It's like Dante finally found someone that's willing to ham it up like he does, and he rises to the challenge and beyond.

Dante's cutscenes are definitely one of my favourite things about DMC4. They're all so stupidcool, especially the new weapon ones (ram it in).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

You know, when you think about the development history of Ninja Theory this is hardly a surprise.

2003- Kung Fu Chaos --> A lovely "party" game for XBox.

2007- Heavenly Sword --> A clunky (if pretty) action-brawler with a novel control scheme that involved holing different triggers to activate different combat stances. Fun enough, but tedious compared to superior, more aggressive action games.

2010- Enslaved: Odyssey To The West --> A game with a beautiful art style, great graphics, an engaging storyline, and likeable characters. Unfortunately the combat is basically "QTE: The Game". The game is rewarding enough overall to warrant one slog through, though.

Point being, I don't know what the FUUUUCK (<--See how edgy and clever I am NT? Hire me.) Capcom was thinking handing the development of a game known and loved for its tight action to a developer who has demonstrated that they don't do action. All of their games worth playing are really carried by their narrative and visual design. Furthermore, DMC games don't even lend themselves to particularly fascinating narratives- they tend to be at about the level of a Motörhead music video. And that's fine- that's what I bloody want, dammit! I'm not looking for a story when I play a DMC game, much less a hammy-hamfisted attempt at being subversive/edgy. I'm hoping the game just bombs at this point so Capcom doesn't pull this bullshit again.

Of course, I could be wrong about the whole deal and they're just withholding the actual gameplay? Seems like a bad hype move if that's true though... sorry for rambling.

This is my tin foil hat wearing side speaking but...

The game sells like poo poo and Capcom justifies killing the franchise, why would they do this? I don't know, maybe so they can make more Street Fighters and Resident Evils.

Either way, the moment I heard that the combat for this game was built on Unreal 3, I lost all hope, Unreal 3 is just not designed for any semblance of speed, its a clunky lovely engine.

And much like others have said, Japanese devs, Capcom especially are obsessed with the loving Call of Duty numbers, problem is that they have no clue on how to get them, so they either give the franchise to an american developer or just alter the game so its tons of action, see the Resident Evil 6 trailer for how far that franchise has changed, its not even close to survival horror, just pure adrenaline for all the ADD riddled kids.

They also don't seem to pay attention to company track records, I mean the company making Lost Planet 3, are responsible for Legendary the box and Turning Point Fall of Liberty, 2 of the absolute worst games of the past years.

Though there is some sucess sometimes, Blue Castle is responsible for Dead Rising 2 which was miles better than the original, though now that I think about they're a canadian dev...

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

Alteisen posted:

They also don't seem to pay attention to company track records, I mean the company making Lost Planet 3, are responsible for Legendary the box and Turning Point Fall of Liberty, 2 of the absolute worst games of the past years.

Though there is some sucess sometimes, Blue Castle is responsible for Dead Rising 2 which was miles better than the original, though now that I think about they're a canadian dev...

Still Western.

Also, didn't Blue Castle make baseball games up until DR2? It turned out pretty drat well, like you said. After watching the LP3 demo, I liked a lot of what I saw I liked, especially little details like different animation sets based on the whether the player was indoors or on the surface, as well as the mood of the environment.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alteisen posted:

This is my tin foil hat wearing side speaking but...

The game sells like poo poo and Capcom justifies killing the franchise, why would they do this? I don't know, maybe so they can make more Street Fighters and Resident Evils.
Anyone who seriously believes a publisher would intentionally waste millions of dollars on a game meant to fail is a crazy person.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

SirDan3k posted:

Call of Duty.

No really, it's Call of Duty's fault. Lots of Japanese publishers have been very open about giving franchises to American developers because of the massive numbers American developers can move. CoD set the bar crazy high and now a lot of publishers seem to think as long as they give it to an American company, regardless of the company's previous success rate, that they can get close to the new bar.

But this has never worked before. I don't understand. :eng99:

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

Pesky Splinter posted:

* NO TAUNT BUTTON! :argh:

:stare: These guys have no idea what they are doing. Have they even played the good DMC games? This game is reminding me more and more of DMC2 every time I hear about it. Even his super springy jump looks like it's straight from DMC2. And that boss looks plain hideous. At least the combat looks a bit more interesting than DMC2, but that's like saying a loud, public fart is better than making GBS threads your pants.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Even better is their reasoning - that it wouldn't fit well into the narrative for the character they wish to portray. :cripes:

He still taunts randomly during attacks, BUT, that is just classed as an ingame battle dialogue. Not a taunt function.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Wait, so the game where A=Anarchic and fuckfuckfuckfuck Dante the Demon Killer doesn't have taunts (a DMC staple since the beginning, right?), because it wouldn't fit the character...? I don't what no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Even better is their reasoning - that it wouldn't fit well into the narrative for the character they wish to portray. :cripes:

He still taunts randomly during attacks, BUT, that is just classed as an ingame battle dialogue. Not a taunt function.

... Are you loving serious? Do they not get that adding taunting in during combat was a really clever way to mix character and mechanics? It rewards players for getting good enough at the game that they can actually do the "make fun of enemies while they're fighting" thing that the cutscenes portray? It actually blends a silly little bit of characterization (Dante does Spider-Man style taunts while fighting) and a mechanic (taunting is something to do for maximum points/extra meter) in a fairly clever, fun and exciting way.

Instead of "Welp, that's not in-character, pull it out! Our Dante doesn't taunt!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 7, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's about halfway through the demo video, when they're attacking the bug thing, and they say something along those lines after blurting out that it there isn't a taunt.

It's at the near end of the video.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 7, 2012

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sindai posted:

Anyone who seriously believes a publisher would intentionally waste millions of dollars on a game meant to fail is a crazy person.

Sometimes it feels like it.

Why else would say, Ubisoft release Rayman Origins, on the same day as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.

Sorry but that just seems to me like the company wants the game to fail.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Alteisen posted:

Sometimes it feels like it.

Why else would say, Ubisoft release Rayman Origins, on the same day as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3.

Sorry but that just seems to me like the company wants the game to fail.

I doubt CoD players were the demographic Ubi was targeting with Rayman, sooo.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

ImpAtom posted:

... Are you loving serious? Do they not get that adding taunting in during combat was a really clever way to mix character and mechanics? It rewards players for getting good enough at the game that they can actually do the "make fun of enemies while they're fighting" thing that the cutscenes portray? It actually blends a silly little bit of characterization (Dante does Spider-Man style taunts while fighting) and a mechanic (taunting is something to do for maximum points/extra meter) in a fairly clever, fun and exciting way.

Instead of "Welp, that's not in-character, pull it out! Our Dante doesn't taunt!"

Ninja Theory understand gameplay design? That'll be the day.

I just hope everyone likes painstakingly performance captured cutscenes! Ninja Theory hope so, too.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

AccountingNightmare posted:

:stare: These guys have no idea what they are doing. Have they even played the good DMC games? This game is reminding me more and more of DMC2 every time I hear about it. Even his super springy jump looks like it's straight from DMC2. And that boss looks plain hideous. At least the combat looks a bit more interesting than DMC2, but that's like saying a loud, public fart is better than making GBS threads your pants.

Are you ready for 20 minute boss fights where you stand in a corner jumping and shooting? Hell yes you are! We all are! :rock:

I also want to add: Called it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
http://pt-br.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/320560252 at 36:30

Bald guy: "Is there a taunt?"

TA "No."

BG "No taunt?"

TA "There are some quite, uh... although we'll be showing Dante's arrogant attitude to life, like, he goes through quite a big journey in this game, and there are moments where, uh...well, if you've played our other games, there can be moments that are more downbeat and harrowing, and we learn more about Dante through those moments, so being able to taunt in the middle of that seemed to take you out of it."

BG *agreeing* "So it conflicts with the narrative."

TA "Yeah."

:ughh:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 7, 2012

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

AccountingNightmare posted:

Have they even played the good DMC games?

No, but they've played God of War. And aren't Ninja Theory the company that survives by making God of War rip-offs?

Also, this game reminds of Painkiller: Overdose. This is pretty much the worst thing it could do.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Krad posted:

But this has never worked before. I don't understand. :eng99:

People cling to a singular easily reproducible element and assign a property's success to it. It's a sort of tunnel vision thing I call the magic bullet philosophy and you see it everywhere.

Hollywood is plagued by it, foreign director makes a big hit? Foreign directors must be hot right now, quick find me a Swedish film student that's directed a condom commercial and will work for peanuts.

See also CoD and military shooters. Tight gameplay, easy to use multiplayer, a mammoth advertising campaign, we don't need any of that military shooters are hot right now. Steve knows c++ license the unreal engine and get some interns modeling an ar14.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 7, 2012

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Pesky Splinter posted:

http://pt-br.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/320560252 at 36:30

Bald guy: "Is there a taunt?"

TA "No."

BG "No taunt?"

TA "There are some quite, uh... although we'll be showing Dante's arrogant attitude to life, like, he goes through quite a big journey in this game, and there are moments where, uh...well, if you've played our other games, there can be moments that are more downbeat and harrowing, and we learn more about Dante through those moments, so being able to taunt in the middle of that seemed to take you out of it."

BG *agreeing* "So it conflicts with the narrative."

TA "Yeah."

:ughh:

You could just... disable taunting at those times. Or simply claim that in your new and improved combat system taunting doesn't have a place. Which is stupid, but at least semi-rational.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Camel Pimp posted:

You could just... disable taunting at those times. Or simply claim that in your new and improved combat system taunting doesn't have a place. Which is stupid, but at least semi-rational.

Or maybe they could even implement contextual taunts. Nah. That would be too good for this trainwreck.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ChewyLSB posted:

I think the best thing that could happen is that DmC does awfully and then we get a DMC5 that is close to as good as DMC3 was.

This won't happen, though. This is Capcom we're talking about. They're so gunshy these days that unless DmC brings in crazy Resident Evil/Street Fighter numbers, they'll can the whole series and Dante will be relegated to fighting game cameos and hanging out in a bar with MegaMan reminiscing about the good ol' days.

Best case scenario at this point is that the game turns out okay, but doesn't sell as well as some Japanese board member thought it did, and the series still gets canned.

At least we got the HD Collection, right?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Well all I can say is, thank god for PlatiinumGames, and thank god somebody is giving them work.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
More stuff:

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/320581520

Summation:

* Rankings = Dirty, Cruel, Brutal, Anarchic, Savage, SSadistic, SSS [unknown - vanished before the word appeared]

* Stinger and Million Stab (renamed "Trillion Stab" because obviously a Million isn't hip enough)

* To launch enemies you only have to hit (B) (on the Xbox), previous DMCs required you to hit multiple buttons (and it was smoother that way).

* Pausing at certain points when the blade flashes will allow for a different combo

* Double jump, Angel Dash (where he spreads his arms out and glides, looking ridiculous), Air dodge, ground dodge (any direction, looking fucktarded).

* Angel/Demon pull thing is integral to combat.

* "Why two dodge buttons?"
    "Well, I think if you're holding the angel or demon power, it's difficult to hit the opposite button to evade. It makes it so you can dodge comfortably, not matter what weapon you're using"

And there you have it folks. There's the reason why two precious buttons are wasted on evade, rather than just one. To accomadate for their retarded weapon switching.

* D-pad will be used for switching the additional weapons, that NT can't go into too much detail about ATM.

* Orbs present. Upgrades present.

* Double tapping angel chain follows up with an uppercut, double tapping demon chain follows up with a kick. Uppercut can be chained, latching onto enemies while in the air, and making them soar higher and higher.

* There is also an "angel dodge" (trickster dash basically). Demon dodge is a counter..."kinda like witch time" (their words, not mine). It's a really lovely version where you get about a second to do stuff. It'd be better described as bullet time TBH.

* Due to being able to continually launch enemies, air bourne DT (where you get more time in the air) looks pretty broken.

* Killing the last enemy ends with a cinematic finish.

* DT launches enemies in the air (just by activating it), staying in the air causes the bonus points to increase.

* "I understand that people are upset at the lack of a taunt, but the way I see it, NT takes its narrative seriously - alot of games are guilty of this gameplay that conflicts with its own narrative, where you'll be in the middle of a serious fight; brother against brother, and the cutscenes are totally deadpan serious, but then you get into a fight and then he's like 'C'mon!'.
    "I think that [NT] wanted to avoid that kind of dissonance."

The guy saying this is not from NT, I must say. But a big DmC gently caress YOU to him :colbert:

* Games uses full body and voice performance mocap. As they do in all their soddin' games.

* "Who the gently caress are you!? Dante!? Son of Sparda and Eve - the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEE!"

* "Dante has a little more humanity to him - he's not always cool-headed, you know." Which is why NT decided to make him a loving half-angel, because, as everyone knows, humanity obviously comes from loving angels, not, you know, humans?

* Certain moves cant be countered. They also talk about how arbitrary QTEs are in other games- while ignoring how loving arbitrary the angel/demon whip mechanic is and how that might as well be a QTE for the purpose it fills.

* Ranking gauge takes forever to disappear.

* Reuben Langdon (Classic Dante) pictured here in his normal attire:

Had a play, though not in the video, and gave it his endorsement.

* Old style illustration of Ebony and Ivory available in shirt form.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 7, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They mentioned that they had some "hardcore" testers, I think the coolest thing they could do to promote the fighting is to let Brea or whomever have a crack at it for a week or so, get some footage of their combos and put together a DmC combo MAD as a promo video. That is, if they've got the mechanics to back up their boasts.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Pesky Splinter posted:

* Certain moves cant be countered. They also talk about how arbitrary QTEs are in other games- while ignoring how loving arbitrary the angel/demon whip mechanic is and how that might as well be a QTE for the purpose it fills.
This keeps coming up, what exactly do you mean "the purpose it fills"?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Who the gently caress are you!? Dante!? Son of Sparda and Eve - the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEE!"

Please tell me this is not actual dialogue.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

I'm sure it fits nicely with the rest of their precious narrative.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Pesky Splinter posted:

I haven't had much to rage about over this game, but this is seriously the most ridiculous loving thing I have ever heard. That "CHARACTER" you wish to portray is supposed to be Dante. If taunting "doesn't fit well into the narrative for Dante" then you do now know what you're doing and should stop acting like you do.

The game itself doesn't look too bad--I'd rank it above DMC2 at least--but the way this team keeps acting is making me want to hate their game so bad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Early adopters of the PS3 learned our lesson about Ninja Theory like five years ago.

This is going to be awful and if you buy this and support the ruining of this franchise you are an awful person.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

User0015 posted:

It is. :sigh:

Wrist Watch posted:

This keeps coming up, what exactly do you mean "the purpose it fills"?

The way I see it, a QTE is basically a "hit the button to do something in a cinematic to avoid damage/dying". The angel/demon whip thing, well, look at the end of the bug fight where he's floating on the platforms, and has to activate the whip thing to progress...okay, maybe I'm just bitching for the sake of bitching. That's not fair of me.

[e]: I don't know, Ninja Theory seem to be doing their damndest to make people dislike it, what with some of the utter horseshit they've come out with, to justify some things. As it is, it's looking to be an okay action game...but a bad DMC.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 7, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The bitterness of this thread is reaching Silent Hill thread levels at this point. Not that I can blame anyone but drat I could probably turn sugar into salt just by putting my laptop in the general vicinity of my sugar jar.

In any case this game can't be worse than Ninja Gaiden 3. It's literally not possible.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Speaking of horseshit, have another interview:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-dmc-devil/731881

More stuff about how they wanted to tell Dante's origin story, and that Capcom wanted to attract a new audience blah blah blah.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 7, 2012

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think it even looks like a halfway decent action game. It looks incredibly boring.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

It's looking like maybe a good pick up for $7.50 during a steam sale. But 50-60? gently caress that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

In any case this game can't be worse than Ninja Gaiden 3. It's literally not possible.

I suddenly feel much better about having played Ninja Gaiden 3. It's all uphill from here!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
"We are doing some pre-order DLC" (Outfits and 'special passives').

Man, these guys are on a roll generating hype for a game that the core fan base is already less than impressed with. I would say there is a non-zero chance that DmD mode is going to be DLC. This would not surprise me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Could you guys go over Ninja Gaiden 3 again? All I remember about it are weapons, and Ryu lamenting killing while killing thousands of dudes.

• Locked thread