Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Toast Museum posted:

If you want to avoid the new tab page entirely, go to about :config and set browser.newtab.url to about :blank.

Not sure about the current release version of Firefox, but the nightlies have a small button in the upper right that hides the thumbnails. Click it and it sets browser.newtabpage.enabled to false and you're basically left with about :blank.

Site preview thumbnails are busted for me too, but since I don't actually want to use the feature, I don't care to look into why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

OK I really do not like the new way to view images where they are placed centered on a black screen. Is there anything I can do about this?

You can also fix this without a third party extension by modifying TopLevelImageDocument.css in your Firefox\res\ folder (but have to redo it each update, as the files get restored after patching). Comment out the @media not print block:

Waffnuffly posted:

Thanks for this! The "bug" linked on there actually led me to instructions on how to do it. It was really easy (using PaleMoon here so it was slightly different, no omni.ja file):

1) Open ..\Pale Moon\res\
2) Open TopLevelImageDocument.css
3) Comment out the whole @media not print block (wrap with /* and */ at the start and end), like this:

code:
/*
@media not print {
  body {
    background-color: #222;
    margin: 0;
  }

img {
    position: absolute;
    margin: auto;
    top: 0;
    right: 0;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0;
  }
}
*/
4) Save and reopen the browser. Done.

I see no reason why you couldn't apply a custom style here, either. Might be useful. I haven't tried setting the file to Read Only to see if the change sticks after patching, but that might work.

[Edit] Actually, you don't even need to reopen the browser. Just open a new image and it should kick in.

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 7, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

xamphear posted:

Not sure about the current release version of Firefox, but the nightlies have a small button in the upper right that hides the thumbnails. Click it and it sets browser.newtabpage.enabled to false and you're basically left with about :blank.

Yeah, that option is there as well. The method I posted is for those who want to make it more inaccessible.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else having trouble with sabnzbd in FF13? (usenet app with browser interface)

I'm getting "The address isn't valid" when trying to open [::1]:8080/sabnzbd/

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

PirateBob posted:

Anyone else having trouble with sabnzbd in FF13? (usenet app with browser interface)

I'm getting "The address isn't valid" when trying to open [::1]:8080/sabnzbd/
try localhost instead of IPv6?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

unruly posted:

try localhost instead of IPv6?

That didn't work either, before I edited sabnzbd.ini in appdata and set the value host = 0.0.0.0

now I can get access to the interface by using the localhost address.

But there seems to be something new in FF13 that causes [::1] not to work. :confused:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
(Nevermind, I can use Google)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Go to Options > Advanced, uncheck smooth scrolling.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Toast Museum posted:

If you want to avoid the new tab page entirely, go to about :config and set browser.newtab.url to about :blank.

Or set browser.newtabpage.enabled to false :science:

YggiDee posted:

Go to Options > Advanced, uncheck smooth scrolling.

And this (or general.smoothScroll in about :config) since the new scrolling sucks :saddowns:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have Firefox as a base install, and Waterfox as my primary install. I keep FF around just incase they ever freaking finally push an x64 version.

I upgraded to FF13, but had Waterfox still on 12. All of my addons vanished, with only HTTPS-Everywhere and SALR being left. Just a warning.

Edit - profile still had all of my addons' settings, I just had to manually reinstall them.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 7, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Or set browser.newtabpage.enabled to false :science:

That's a little different; it's equivalent to hitting the little toggle button on the new tab page. The setting I was talking about keeps you from seeing the toggle at all.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ryokurin posted:

I'm curious what tweaks you are using, just in case one is something interesting.

Aside from the previous tweak I mentioned, I generally only use the following in about :config:

plugins.click_to_play - true (I think this is an option from Firefox 14 onwards) Anything like Flash, Java, Silverlight etc. shows up in a greyed-out box and needs clicked to be activated. Can have security benefits as there's less background stuff to get you into trouble, and you can also save preferences on a site-by-site basis. You also avoid a lot of annoying stuff that some sites like to throw in your face with flash, and you gain speed by not loading it all by default.

mousewheel.acceleration.start - 3 - when you scroll up or down the page 3 times (or whatever number you specify), the scroll speed increases by the amount in the next tweak

mousewheel.acceleration.factor - 7 - faster page scrolling, higher numbers in this value = faster.

I also have a userChrome.css file with this in it: #identity-icon-labels label { font-weight: bold !important; font-size: 80% !important;}

All that does is change the font in the site identity block...

but that's getting into sperg territory.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

Site preview thumbnails are busted for me too, but since I don't actually want to use the feature, I don't care to look into why.

If you click the page links in the New Tab page and let them load fully, the next time you open the New Tab page it should have the thumbnails there. They seem to get cleared with the cache though.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Aside from the previous tweak I mentioned, I generally only use the following in about :config:

plugins.click_to_play - true (I think this is an option from Firefox 14 onwards) Anything like Flash, Java, Silverlight etc. shows up in a greyed-out box and needs clicked to be activated. Can have security benefits as there's less background stuff to get you into trouble, and you can also save preferences on a site-by-site basis. You also avoid a lot of annoying stuff that some sites like to throw in your face with flash, and you gain speed by not loading it all by default.

mousewheel.acceleration.start - 3 - when you scroll up or down the page 3 times (or whatever number you specify), the scroll speed increases by the amount in the next tweak

mousewheel.acceleration.factor - 7 - faster page scrolling, higher numbers in this value = faster.

I also have a userChrome.css file with this in it: #identity-icon-labels label { font-weight: bold !important; font-size: 80% !important;}

All that does is change the font in the site identity block...

but that's getting into sperg territory.

Thanks! didn't know about the mousewheel settings and they made a huge difference. If only I could stop the flash stuttering when hardware acceleration is enabled I would be content.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Please tell me more about the icons between the Aurora button and the tabs. It looks like a g-mail pinned tab? I tried pinning g-mail, but mine doesn't show the unread message count. Also, what are the silver square with the asterisk in the middle, and the green circle?

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Colonel Sanders posted:

Please tell me more about the icons between the Aurora button and the tabs. It looks like a g-mail pinned tab? I tried pinning g-mail, but mine doesn't show the unread message count. Also, what are the silver square with the asterisk in the middle, and the green circle?

The green circle is icon is for Web of Trust. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/

Showing the unread email count in the g-mail tab, may require an extension like this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/better-gmail-2/

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Sanders posted:

In gmail, if you go to Settings > Labs there should be one called "Unread message icon" just enable it.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
The new version makes the right click -> search feature switch to the opened tab. Change browser.search.context.loadInBackground to true to get the old behavior.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

The silver square with the asterix in the middle is the LastPass button, which defaults to a red square with a white asterix, but I just changed the settings to make it more subdued and less likely to clash and confuse with the WoT icon if it ever goes red.

Flagrama posted:

In gmail, if you go to Settings > Labs there should be one called "Unread message icon" just enable it.

This is the method I used.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2012

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Ryokurin posted:

Thanks! didn't know about the mousewheel settings and they made a huge difference. If only I could stop the flash stuttering when hardware acceleration is enabled I would be content.

As an aside, it seems like the new Flash 11.3, which put Flash into a Sandbox seems to have fixed the stutter.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Ryokurin posted:

As an aside, it seems like the new Flash 11.3, which put Flash into a Sandbox seems to have fixed the stutter.

Thanks for this, gonna try it. Ever since I updated to FF13 my flash performance has been poo poo. Stuttering like crazy.

edit: It's also now making all my new tabs take the focus always instead of just opening in the background, it's annoying.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 8, 2012

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Something ugly is going on since I installed Flash 11.3 on Firefox 13.

Embedded videos like Youtube get all corrupted and squashed up when scrolling past them, gotta minimize/restore the window to fix it temporarily.
Needless to say it's very annoying when browsing these very forums.

Original

Thanks Flash

Biodome posted:

It's also now making all my new tabs take the focus always instead of just opening in the background, it's annoying.

That's an option under the "Tabs" tab called "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" and should always be disabled.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 9, 2012

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

sauer kraut posted:

That's an option under the "Tabs" tab called "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" and should always be disabled.

That's the cool part, I just checked and it is disabled. Thank you Firefox.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/links-open-background-firefox-chrome/ here's some about :config settings that may help

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Thanks for the link but I tried that about:config edit and it still does it. I think I just need to wait for the Firefox with that tool that will reset your firefox profile but keep all your history and stuff to fix it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Biodome posted:

Thanks for the link but I tried that about :config edit and it still does it. I think I just need to wait for the Firefox with that tool that will reset your firefox profile but keep all your history and stuff to fix it.

That's actually in FF13. Just go to about :support and the button should be there, though if you already used it the new profile apparently does not have the button because mine is missing on my new profile. Disregard this, it was probably a bug from when it was first implemented in the beta when I used it and is fixed now.

Flagrama fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 9, 2012

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is anyone finding Aurora 15 extremely slow on Windows 7 x64? Version 14 flew for me; I upgraded to 15 yesterday and rest the profile, and reimported all my extensions, but it's choking at the minute. Something to do with the new add-on memory management maybe?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is anyone finding Aurora 15 extremely slow on Windows 7 x64? Version 14 flew for me; I upgraded to 15 yesterday and rest the profile, and reimported all my extensions, but it's choking at the minute. Something to do with the new add-on memory management maybe?

I have definitely noticed a slowdown over the builds in the last month or so. It's either a regression they'll sort out eventually, or as you suggested, an add-on conflicting with some new feature. I tend to think it's the latter, as if I disable ABP, it starts going really fast again. But I'd rather have the browser lock up occasionally than deal with ads.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

I have definitely noticed a slowdown over the builds in the last month or so. It's either a regression they'll sort out eventually, or as you suggested, an add-on conflicting with some new feature. I tend to think it's the latter, as if I disable ABP, it starts going really fast again. But I'd rather have the browser lock up occasionally than deal with ads.

Just came back to update on this and noticed you too had problems related to Adblock Plus. That particular add-on seems to be the culprit - removing it has everything performing well.

I am, however, shocked to my core to see the horrendous level that advertising has risen to recently. I haven't looked at the web properly without ABP in about 5 years. It's like being in Tokyo or something. How anyone with epilepsy uses the web, I don't know.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just came back to update on this and noticed you too had problems related to Adblock Plus. That particular add-on seems to be the culprit - removing it has everything performing well.

I am, however, shocked to my core to see the horrendous level that advertising has risen to recently. I haven't looked at the web properly without ABP in about 5 years. It's like being in Tokyo or something. How anyone with epilepsy uses the web, I don't know.

Not to mention how much it crashes other browsers Opera has all my passwords memorized so I still use it, but ads crash it 10-12 times a day.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Anyone using Aurora as of yesterday (version 15), try installing the development build of Adblock Plus. Aurora now runs smoothly and I haven't come across any problems since changing to this build.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Reading their forum indicates that the ABP pop up blocker addon is obsolete, so if you have that installed, remove that too as it's natively is taken care of by the program now.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I've had a problem for ages with Firefox where the far left edge seems to be just outside the actual frame of the window, so that the first couple of pixels are cut off. It's probably the most insignificant bug I've ever come across but is there a way to fix it? (I'm running 3.6, but there's no thread for older versions).

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Lord of Sword posted:

I've had a problem for ages with Firefox where the far left edge seems to be just outside the actual frame of the window, so that the first couple of pixels are cut off. It's probably the most insignificant bug I've ever come across but is there a way to fix it? (I'm running 3.6, but there's no thread for older versions).

Upgrade to Firefox 13 :v: (Firefox 3.6 isn't supported anymore and could be considered a vulnerability).
I tried looking through Bugzilla about that issue but couldn't find anything. Of course that issue is sort of difficult to describe, so maybe I missed it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Also, since Firefox's rendering is handled by your videocard, I'd also try updating your video drivers to the latest version. This is a pretty good early step for any Firefox issue.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Firefox automatically updated to 13 a few days ago, but Mouse Gestures Redox doesn't work past 3.6, and I literally can't use Firefox without it. I'll try updating the drivers and see if that works.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You wouldn't be able to use one of the equivalent add-ons like FireGestures?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I use All-in-One Gestures, have done for many years. Still updated and works with 13.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
All the alternatives I've tried don't have image resizing (diagonal drag resizes an image bigger or smaller or hides it completely). It's only one feature but I'm so used to it being there and it's the one I use most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How do I get firefox to reload all the tabs when it restarts? It gives the appearance of reloading everything, but then (an hour or so later) you click through the tabs and only that reminds firefox to load the actual tab content.