Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Pricing on the iphone 4 on VM revealed:

quote:

First rumors, then fact. From Friday June 29th, Virgin Mobile customers in the US can have an iPhone to call their own. Both the iPhone 4 and 4S will be up for grabs on the Beyond Talk data and messaging plans from $35 per month or $30 when registering for automatic payments. The price you pay for not having a contract? That'll be $649 for the 16GB 4S or save $100 by going for the 8GB iPhone 4.

Hahaha, that's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm wondering if you'll be able to use unlocked versions of the iPhone for VM. Are the CDMA versions even able to be "unlocked" to either Verizon or Sprint? $649 is a huge price to pay for a year old phone, considering you can get a Galaxy Nexus for $400 unlocked from Google themselves.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Lblitzer posted:

I'm wondering if you'll be able to use unlocked versions of the iPhone for VM. Are the CDMA versions even able to be "unlocked" to either Verizon or Sprint? $649 is a huge price to pay for a year old phone, considering you can get a Galaxy Nexus for $400 unlocked from Google themselves.

I'd bet a lot that Sprint won't allow their own postpaid CDMA iphones to be used on VM. You'll probably have to buy this particular version to use it on VM.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Holy drat, so like 700 bucks after taxes. I know phones are always more expensive without a contract and it makes sense, but any regrets I might've had about leaving VM last month just flew out the window. Plus Nexus has a better GPS anyway.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Looks like you save about $400 $500 ($1880 vs $1490 $1370) after two years getting the iPhone 4S on Virgin Mobile (with 300 minutes/month) instead of a post paid Sprint plan (with 450 minutes/month and roaming).

EDIT: It's $1120 getting the Google Nexus on the $30 TMobile prepaid plan (with 100 minutes/month) for two years.

EDIT: Updated the prices to reflect the $5/month discount with the auto-pay discount.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 7, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Naffer posted:

I'd bet a lot that Sprint won't allow their own postpaid CDMA iphones to be used on VM. You'll probably have to buy this particular version to use it on VM.

I thought that VM would only allow phones on their network with approved IMEI's? So wouldn't that mean that you can't use a Sprint iPhone on VM and you can't use a VM phone on Sprint.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Porkchop Express posted:

I thought that VM would only allow phones on their network with approved IMEI's? So wouldn't that mean that you can't use a Sprint iPhone on VM and you can't use a VM phone on Sprint.

Yes this is true, but Sprint owns both VM so it's their own decision not to allow phones from one on the other, and you can bet it's not for technical reasons.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Virgin Mobile USA put the iPhone front-and-center on their website.

This image has turned up in press releases:

It's not clear to me whether this $5 discount will only be for iPhone customers or not.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So you get 2.5gb of 3G and then it knocks it down to 1X or something?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Lblitzer posted:

So you get 2.5gb of 3G and then it knocks it down to 1X or something?

It's still 3G but it's limited to 256 kbps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rastor posted:

This image has turned up in press releases:

It's not clear to me whether this $5 discount will only be for iPhone customers or not.

I'm assuming it will be for new customers?

EDIT: Updated my previous post with the new $30/month price. You save $500 over two years versus going with Sprint.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 7, 2012

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Hahaha, that's insane.

Another VM to T-Mobile + gPlay Galaxy Nexus convert here. Anyone on the verge should make the switch, unless they're heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem.

RDU area of NC (with rural family), and both speed and coverage are better with T-Mobile. Those VM iPhone prices are ridiculous for carrier-locked phones.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

moms pubis posted:

It's still 3G but it's limited to 256 kbps.

For many customers this will not be noticeable then.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

swarthmeister posted:

Another VM to T-Mobile + gPlay Galaxy Nexus convert here. Anyone on the verge should make the switch, unless they're heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem.

RDU area of NC (with rural family), and both speed and coverage are better with T-Mobile. Those VM iPhone prices are ridiculous for carrier-locked phones.

Ridiculous especially since like half of that 600+ cost is straight profit to Apple.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Hahahaha an extra $250 on top of the GNex? No thank you, I'll be switching to TMo as soon as I get the first paycheck from my new job.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Well once TMob finishes their 1900MHz 3G deployment, unlocked iPhone users can get in on that fun too. Probably a better deal than buying a VM-only device.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Unrelated to TM/VM comparison chat: is there any reason I can't enable and disable that T-mobile $15/month tethering rider for my $30 plan on a month-to-month basis? Sucks to have a fee for punishment-free tethering, but it's a nice option for travel if it doesn't somehow lock you in.

edit: Confirmed, turn on and off as you please, there is no lock.

jeeves posted:

Ridiculous especially since like half of that 600+ cost is straight profit to Apple.
Yeah. Didn't want to come off like an Android partisan, but assuming coverage is comparable and the user isn't a niche case favoring Apple/Virgin, the T-Mo/Gnex plan is a much better deal. Especially considering the unlocked pentaband status of the Gnex.

I rarely saw 1Mb/s on Virgin (often under half that), now I regularly get +4Mb/s down and +1.5Mb/s up on T-mobile. Slows to 2G out in some rural towns, but comprehensive 2G beats the only coverage spot being the corner of a grocery parking lot.

The old Optimus V even continues to see use beyond home wifi streaming! I seal it in a whenitpourssimplywaterproof bag for running/biking/kayaking and forward text messages to my gVoice number to catch up with people when I get to a wifi spot. Very nice to have a middleman phone you don't mind roughing up.

edit: apparently whenitpours is now http://www.simplywaterproof.com/

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 10, 2012

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
After much suffering with VM's Optimus V and a little penny-pinching budgeting, I've decided that I deserve an upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus. I've just about pulled the trigger, but before I do, a few questions.

1. Probably going to go with T-Mobile's $30/month plan. Am I correct in assuming that all I have to do is insert the SIM card into the Galaxy Nexus, follow some simple online instructions and I'm good to go? Knowing me, I just want to make sure I'm not missing a not-so-obvious step here. :downs:

2. Can anyone recommend a good case for the Galaxy Nexus? I'm a sucker for a pretty case.

Simple stuff. Thanks, goons.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Glenn posted:

1. Probably going to go with T-Mobile's $30/month plan. Am I correct in assuming that all I have to do is insert the SIM card into the Galaxy Nexus, follow some simple online instructions and I'm good to go? Knowing me, I just want to make sure I'm not missing a not-so-obvious step here. :downs:

2. Can anyone recommend a good case for the Galaxy Nexus? I'm a sucker for a pretty case.

Simple stuff. Thanks, goons.

1) That's how it works in theory. I bought the SIM kit, and attempted online activation. Should've been simple, the steps aren't difficult or anything, but for some reason the page would just refresh rather than proceed when I clicked to submit the info. Anyway, I called up T-Mobile and described the problem to the phone support guys, and still managed to get on the "online only" 5GB+100min+∞text plan (probably because it was a new activation - ported the old number to T-Mobile later, after comparing coverage).

2) Diztronic (also on amazon) makes good basic cases. $10 per, TPU material. Not intended for super tough construction-site usage, but great slim cases for normal people. Heavy-duty environments are probably better suited for Otterbox or something.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I love the androidified case series from Cruzerlite. I may have went a little crazy ordering them, but they are buy 2 get 1 free. :shepface:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...&qid=1339119758

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

mixitwithblop posted:

Ok, so what's the best unlocked phone usable on Straight Talk AT&T or Verizon with ICS stock/upgraded for under $300? I've been told by folks that T-mobile isn't great in my hood. My signal and 3G speed on VM leaves much to be desired.

you could always check Sony's xperia ray,it has 4.0 ICS but its heavily modified but still really nice.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

swarthmeister posted:

That's how it works in theory.
Sounds good -- at worst, it's nothing a quick phone call can't fix. :)

Tremors posted:

Cruzerlite. :shepface:
These look slick, and they're pretty much exactly what I was looking for! Went ahead and bought the purple case.

Thanks to both of you. I'm excited as hell for this phone to get here.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Xeom posted:

you could always check Sony's xperia ray,it has 4.0 ICS but its heavily modified but still really nice.
Did the ICS update come out? I thought that was a "not yet but soon". Edit: sounds like it started to roll out in the last week in a few countries.

Note that the Xperia Ray is really, really tiny. It has one of the smallest screens of any smartphone.

Edit #2: T-Mobile will be offering iPhone-compatible 1900MHz 4G service at WWDC.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 8, 2012

SteelStiletto
Oct 22, 2011

Run!
I really like the idea of moving to the T-Mobile 30 bucks plan, and am considering waiting to see if I can get a Galaxy S 3 unlocked for it, but in the meantime, is there anyone that can talk about their experience with GrooveIP? In specific, if you are using it on the $30 T-Mobile plan, is it usable at all if you pass the 5 gig limit? Also, do you ever miss calls? Heck, does it receive calls at all? I see that it says to have Google Voice send your calls to Google Talk to receive them, but does that mean that the Google Talk client built in to Android can receive them, or does the GrooVeIP app intercept them and let it work just like receiving a phone call through the normal voice network?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You would leave GrooVe IP running, and it would be logged into Google Talk waiting to receive calls.

Personally I just run it when I need to make a long call, and then exit it when I'm done. If you need to make/receive many phone calls, I frankly don't think you'll be happy with the quality or convenience of GrooVe IP.

Regarding the throttle, 5GB is quite a lot of mobile data, I've never come even close to exceeding it. Reportedly the throttle speed is ~100kbps, i.e. you can still sync emails but you won't be able to stream anymore and web browsing will become unbearable.

SteelStiletto
Oct 22, 2011

Run!

Rastor posted:

You would leave GrooVe IP running, and it would be logged into Google Talk waiting to receive calls.

Personally I just run it when I need to make a long call, and then exit it when I'm done. If you need to make/receive many phone calls, I frankly don't think you'll be happy with the quality or convenience of GrooVe IP.

Regarding the throttle, 5GB is quite a lot of mobile data, I've never come even close to exceeding it. Reportedly the throttle speed is ~100kbps, i.e. you can still sync emails but you won't be able to stream anymore and web browsing will become unbearable.

I don't need to make a lot of calls, I just want to be reachable in an emergency. I tend to only use about 40 minutes of call time a month.

Currently, I have a crappy Samsung Expired 2 4G which I still average about 4-4.5 gigs of usage a month on even though I hate it. I am a little worried that if I got a phone that I didn't hate using I might end up passing that 5 gig barrier regularly.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What is the cheapest tmobile unlimited everything plan?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SteelStiletto posted:

I don't need to make a lot of calls, I just want to be reachable in an emergency. I tend to only use about 40 minutes of call time a month.
Ah. For that, just leave Google Voice set to forward to your mobile phone number and receive calls the normal way.

quote:

Currently, I have a crappy Samsung Expired 2 4G which I still average about 4-4.5 gigs of usage a month on even though I hate it. I am a little worried that if I got a phone that I didn't hate using I might end up passing that 5 gig barrier regularly.
Do you have Wifi at home or work?

rear end Catchcum posted:

What is the cheapest tmobile unlimited everything plan?
Cheapest, SIMple Mobile $40/month plan. Cheapest without throttling your data to poo poo rates (but they'll cut you off if they don't like your data use), Straight Talk (T-Mobile) $45/month plan. Cheapest with no overage/get cut off issues but throttled after 2GB, T-Mobile $60/month plan.

SteelStiletto
Oct 22, 2011

Run!

Rastor posted:

Do you have Wifi at home or work?

At home. For some reason, they are unwilling to share the wireless info with the employees at work, so no wireless there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Glenn posted:

That's how it should work, but be aware that there have been a lot of bad activation codes going out recently. When you try to activate the SIM card you purchased, it might not work, and you might have to do some annoying back-and-forth calls with their tech support. I'm not the only one it's happened to. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not such a terrible annoyance for the great phone and plan you'll be getting.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

That's how it should work, but be aware that there have been a lot of bad activation codes going out recently. When you try to activate the SIM card you purchased, it might not work, and you might have to do some annoying back-and-forth calls with their tech support. I'm not the only one it's happened to. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not such a terrible annoyance for the great phone and plan you'll be getting.

I had this problem. The tech support/activation support were horribly bad. In the end a native english speaker in the sales department was able to give me a new activation code instantly that then worked on the website.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

sanchez posted:

I had this problem. The tech support/activation support were horribly bad. In the end a native english speaker in the sales department was able to give me a new activation code instantly that then worked on the website.

I also had the issue and had it resolved first call with a support person (along with porting my number), so I guess it's just luck of the draw.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Rastor posted:

Cheapest without throttling your data to poo poo rates (but they'll cut you off if they don't like your data use), Straight Talk (T-Mobile) $45/month plan.

Man, I would buy the hell out of a straight talk SIM if they had one that would let you use a pentaband phone on both ATT and T-mobile HSPA towers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Has anyone had trouble when ordering the T-Mobile SIM cards? The one I ordered online arrived in my town about two days ago, but they still say that it won't be at my house until Monday, even though it's supposed to deliver via the Post Office.

e: Never mind, it came today.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 9, 2012

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I'm thinking hard about an HTC Evo V on virgin. What's the best phone I can get for $300 for t-mobile prepaid?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spengler posted:

I'm thinking hard about an HTC Evo V on virgin. What's the best phone I can get for $300 for t-mobile prepaid?

Used sensation, used Amazed, used Galaxy Nexus.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

spengler posted:

Let me put it to you this way, I could have bought an evo 3d for $100 and I bought a Nexus S for $230 instead.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Got my iPhone 4 to work on StraightTalk. I'm not afraid to jailbreak since I was on T-Mo with a jailbroken and unlocked 3GS.

It actually looks like I'm subscribed to AT&T on T-Mobile's end when I put in the port request. I get great coverage, but I haven't started using data so I'll report back in a few weeks.

Honestly, if you want a cheap iPhone with very little hassle I'd do StraightTalk with a used AT&T iPhone. Picked up the phone for $250 and with a new SIM and activation kit, everything came to $310. If I get no hassle from StraightTalk then I'll stick with them. T-Mobile kept sending me advertising through text messages and it just got old and annoying.

I also like that I can send my parents to Wal-Mart for refill cards if they ever ask what I want for Christmas/birthdays and can't think of anything.

Virgin Mobile can still suck it though. Was the worst coverage and data speeds.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Picked up the phone for $250 and with a new SIM and activation kit, everything came to $310.
That seems like a heck of a lot for a 3GS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Lblitzer posted:

That seems like a heck of a lot for a 3GS.

Not for a contract-free one.

• Locked thread