Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sanguinia posted:

As dumbly excited as I am about this, I find it odd that the set includes Lost Galaxy, since that was the first in the "stand alone," Rangers shows, where as everything from Mighty Morphin' to In Space is a single story/narrative.

Also, this better sell well enough for me to get a Time Force DVD someday...

Eh. Lost Galaxy was still integrated into the plot of Space. It was more stand alone but it still had a ton of references to Space, and actually had Karone(Astronema from Space) become a ranger during the series.

Lightspeed Rescue was the first Totally separate series in the continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

Eh. Lost Galaxy was still integrated into the plot of Space. It was more stand alone but it still had a ton of references to Space, and actually had Karone(Astronema from Space) become a ranger during the series.

And they had the Astro Megaship as a base! But never transformed it. That always bugged me as a kid; they'd be losing a Megazord fight and the whole time I'd be just be shouting at the screen "You have another Megazord! Just use the Astro Megazord to back you up!"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TwoPair posted:

Really? Well drat, might have to give GL a second chance. I watched the first couple episodes and they didn't impress me at all. Has the animation quality increased? I recall a near unanimous cry of "This looks like poo poo" after episode 1.
I think the animation style is something you have to get used to, but it looks pretty good. Plus it has some good characters and voice acting.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Hello not-cowboy bebop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fR6gLQ2C8

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What the hell, they couldn't reanimate or just cut the ten seconds where she almost crashes into the twin skyscrapers?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Oh, I remember that pilot! It seemed spunky and fun. Like Totally Spies, but like... better and less full of stealth fetish fuel.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I read somewhere that the reason behind that show not getting past the pilot stage was actually because the creator was having a union dispute of some kind with Nickelodeon, so he got the boot and any plans for a series were shelved.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
How does the green lantern show manage to use the concept of the star sapphires un-goony enough for kids? ("love" corp is a bunch of over emotional women in hot outfits and basically only makes sense to nerds who can't get dates)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sanguinia posted:

Oh, I remember that pilot! It seemed spunky and fun. Like Totally Spies, but like... better and less full of stealth fetish fuel.

I never thought I'd ever see "Like Totally Spies" used as a positive descriptor.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

How does the green lantern show manage to use the concept of the star sapphires un-goony enough for kids? ("love" corp is a bunch of over emotional women in hot outfits and basically only makes sense to nerds who can't get dates)

If they haven't been in the show yet, a good plan might be to throw all of that the gently caress away and use something a lot less reprehensible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Star Sapphires already showed up, and I thought they did a decent enough job portraying them as essentially good but overwhelmed by the influence of their rings, as opposed to just being crazy because women amirite? They tried to recruit Carol Ferris, but she eventually breaks the ring's hold and shows them how to be more responsible and balanced in their conduct; the episode ends with one of the extant Sapphires seeing it her way and vowing to teach the rest the difference between true love and blind obsession.

While their costumes were predictably stripperific (even on the stocky porcine alien that Kilowog hooked up last episode), at least it was another woman that showed them the error of their ways and not something like having Hal break the spell with a kiss or some poo poo. Along similar lines, the show has been pretty critical of the Guardians and all but broken the fourth way to say right to the audience's face "none of the extreme views the various corps are operating under work in the long run".

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Constant Payne? It lives up to its name :downsrim:

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So the Hub just premiered it's news 80s reboot show, the Care Bears.

It's CGI animated and apparently there's been some unauthorized PR blunders catering to the internet Brownie movement. Pretty standard fare as far as children's tv shows go though, pretty cute, it'll probably sell a ton of merchandise.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pleasant Friend posted:

So the Hub just premiered it's news 80s reboot show, the Care Bears.

It's CGI animated and apparently there's been some unauthorized PR blunders catering to the internet Brownie movement. Pretty standard fare as far as children's tv shows go though, pretty cute, it'll probably sell a ton of merchandise.

So wait Carebears are referencing Bronies?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll say this much (and I might be mishearing from the one clip I saw so feel free to correct) if the Hub's output improves the voice acting coming out of Canada then I'm all for it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Vaerai Archon posted:

So wait Carebears are referencing Bronies?
Just a dumb marketing press release trying to preemptively hype all these fans of one well-known '80s franchise for another '80s franchise. Because those bronies sure love the Strawberry Shortcake, right?

They poached a bunch of staff from ponies, so I'm vaguely curious how it turned out, but apparently it only aired once at 5AM, so I guess even Hasbro isn't very confident in it.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Curiosity piqued!

Just watched a brief clip. Seemed a bit rough around the edges, writing-wise. However, Grumpy Bear showed signs of being a potentially-cool and funny audience avatar. And, thankfully, the voices are mature, full-bodied, and adult, as opposed to squeaky and kiddy.

The characters seemed rather one-dimensional, though, and I've got a bad feeling that the singing bear could grate on the nerves.

But, hey, we'll see. Never thought I'd see something like MLP as anything other than comedy fodder, after all, and yet, I came to genuinely enjoy it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tartarus Sauce posted:

The characters seemed rather one-dimensional, though

To be fair, that's the Care Bears' whole gimmick.

I watched way too much of that bizarre Alice in Wonderland crossover movie when I was a kid.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McSpanky posted:

I watched way too much of that bizarre Alice in Wonderland crossover movie when I was a kid.

Care bears has always been trippy and bizarre. Alot of the times the moral would be shoe horned in a such a way it would confuse the audiance. Like the one where the kid is possessed by the devil but all he really wanted was friends, but then they never address the fact that he is still posessed by the end of the episode.

Then there was Professor Coldheart who was really a pedophile.

If they can establish a solid carebear lore and do what they did for MLP then the show will probably be another hit. There's really not much conceptwise that separates Care Bears and MLP.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

McSpanky posted:

Ah! But I see your fairness, and raise you MLP: Friendship is Magic.

Once upon a time, the My Little Ponies didn't have much depth beyond, "I am a pretty pink pegasus, and I like to comb my hair and eat raspberry tarts."

Back in the day, I thought the Care Bears were dumb as Hell, and I always thought they were part of some Christian conspiracy, but I couldn't even sit through My Little Pony!

And, they do look like they're trying to give the bears more personality than they used to have, by making one an aspiring singer, and having another one sound like a surfer dude. They just need to make sure that those new notes don't become the only notes the characters are allowed to play.

Off the bat, though, I don't like the animation style. The children look creepy. At least the bears' fur has some texture, so it has that going for it.

On another note, I really don't think Jane and the Dragon gets nearly enough love. The animation style is unique, the characters are likable, the writing's solid, and the voices are delicious. Dragon is particularly adorable. I want more, more, more!

Vaerai Archon posted:

Care bears has always been trippy and bizarre.

And, as you also noted, poorly thought out, considering they have TWO CONTRADICTORY ORIGIN STORIES.

Really bothered me as a kid. I decided that there was a missing "episode" between the two movies, where some villain separated the Cousins and the Bears, and erased everyone's memories.

Alice in Wonderland was all kinds of "WHAT?" and "WHY?" Nostalgia Critic's got an on-the-nose review of it.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 2, 2012

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I smell another mockable online community in the making.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

When I was a kid I watched the poo poo out of the Carebears Star Trek parody, so I'll probably check this out.

I also had a one-armed Carebear doll my great grandfather found in a gutter on the way to see my birth, cleaned up, and gave to me as a gift, so I have a DESTINED LINK to the franchise.

Maybe.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Sanguinia posted:

I also had a one-armed Carebear doll my great grandfather found in a gutter on the way to see my birth, cleaned up, and gave to me as a gift
Maybe.

Now THERE is a character the franchise needs.

"You want to know how I lost my arm, eh? Do you? At night, I can hear the screams of the children of My Lai, and feel the heat of the forest as it burns; sets my mind ablaze. I still can't take the smell of kerosene."

edit: And, DivisionPost wins the blue ribbon.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 3, 2012

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Now THERE is a character the franchise needs.

"You want to know how I lost my arm, eh? Do you? At night, I can hear the screams of the children of My Lai, and feel the heat of the forest as it burns; sets my mind ablaze. I still can't take the smell of kerosene."

"Don't talk to me about CRAZY, man! Not until watch your best friend desperately try to hold the fluff and rainbows inside his belly, THEN we can talk about crazy!"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Just a dumb marketing press release trying to preemptively hype all these fans of one well-known '80s franchise for another '80s franchise. Because those bronies sure love the Strawberry Shortcake, right?

Yeah. Cartoon Brew was sent an e-mail clearly hoping that this would be another My Little Pony, opening with something to the effect of "What's the Care Bear equivalent of a brony? Care Dude? Belly Bro?" The piece quickly spread, and it got so much attention that the Hub themselves sent them a piece basically saying "we didn't authorize this, and we're not trying to compare Care Bears to MLP and/or Bronies." Though one wonders if they weren't hoping lightning didn't strike twice- once something becomes a hit accidentally, marketers are always trying to duplicate it, and Care Bears has a lot in common on the surface with MLP (both '80s girl-oriented properties with characters with symbols which identify their personality traits).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really don't think they're going to be able to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hot Topic was selling ironic Grumpy Bear shirts a decade before Bronies were a thing, that ship has already sailed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mobo85 posted:

Yeah. Cartoon Brew was sent an e-mail clearly hoping that this would be another My Little Pony, opening with something to the effect of "What's the Care Bear equivalent of a brony? Care Dude? Belly Bro?" The piece quickly spread, and it got so much attention that the Hub themselves sent them a piece basically saying "we didn't authorize this, and we're not trying to compare Care Bears to MLP and/or Bronies." Though one wonders if they weren't hoping lightning didn't strike twice- once something becomes a hit accidentally, marketers are always trying to duplicate it, and Care Bears has a lot in common on the surface with MLP (both '80s girl-oriented properties with characters with symbols which identify their personality traits).
Honestly, best it can do is learn the lessons MLP has taught in regards to World Building, not thinking children as idiots (by child standards), etc and, with any luck, the rest- be that better retention by it's target demo or expansion beyond it- will follow.

Speaking of which, I'm kinda impressed The Hub didn't have a whole to-do about the over the place demographics, you'd think they'd talk more about it from a ratings POV. Cartoon Network seems to have kittens whenever someone who's not exactly in the target demo for a show watches.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This just showed up on my Facebook feed. It's been in the works for years, but it looks like it's finally about to come out. The sequel to my favorite cartoon as a child and still the best cartoon I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what they do with three new seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1hQrGlaoU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
But the important question is: Will they be getting Haim Saban to write a wacky theme song?

Edit: The cel-shaded 3D is a strange look, although I didn't even notice it at first.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 6, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

But the important question is: Will they be getting Haim Saban to write a wacky theme song?

Why in the world would you want to replace one of the best themes ever?

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Deadpool posted:

Why in the world would you want to replace one of the best themes ever?

Since the French production is using the same theme again (which makes sense considering it's supposed to pick up where the show left off before), and it's recognizable to the point that I can identify it having never watched the show, they'd be crazy to change it up now. The only real question is whether they just clean up the first season theme to reuse or rerecord it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HypnoCabbage posted:

Since the French production is using the same theme again (which makes sense considering it's supposed to pick up where the show left off before), and it's recognizable to the point that I can identify it having never watched the show, they'd be crazy to change it up now. The only real question is whether they just clean up the first season theme to reuse or rerecord it.

Well, it's in the trailer up there. They just rerecorded it. No big changes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hope you are happy Jeph
http://www.comicvine.com/news/avengers-earths-mightiest-heroes-canceled/144800/

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I was really hoping this was going to say that USM had been cancelled.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

:(: But now how will I know if Antman and Wasp get married and Antman slaps her?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I was really hoping this was going to say that USM had been cancelled.

Is it bad that I like Ultimate Spider-Man?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Helbeast posted:

:(: But now how will I know if Antman and Wasp get married and Antman slaps her?
The cancellation is actually just a cover story. The network wasn't going to allow spousal abuse, and the production team refused to have an incarnation of Hank Pym that doesn't beat his wife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stolen from the BSS cartoon thread:

RevKrule posted:

Teen Titans is coming back as Teen Titans Go with the original cast next year.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=18781

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

So, word has it that they're bringing Teen Titans back in 2013 as Teen Titans Go and this time it's going to be a straight up comedy. As much as I liked TT, I really think they should have just kept it retired. Personally, I would have rather seen them try and reinvent the franchise all together.