Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Pretty sure you are talking about the bus, but after I platinued it, it started spawning in the mountains, thought still rare.

I believe the glitches issue is missing destructibles that prevent you from getting 100% for the game. But the highest completion trophy is 75% so it's not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh boy, this doesn't look good.
http://www.1up.com/previews/dark-souls-pc-port-underwhelms

quote:

The PC port of Dark Souls was a product of fan demand -- a petition urged Namco Bandai to make it happen, and the publisher answered by announcing the Prepare to Die Edition for PC in April. Following the disappointment that emerged when it was announced Games for Windows Live is being used (as opposed to, say, Steamworks), there is another reason to temper excitement over the PC debut of the Souls series.

Among 1UP's editors, a common hope for the game's transition to PC was that it would see some of the technical issues taken care of. Blighttown, in particular, proved to be an especially problematic area in the game on consoles, and exemplified the framerate issues Dark Souls suffered from. With consoles far outclassed in terms of horsepower by PCs, there is no reason this can't be dealt with -- and while the developers are it, they could improve the framerate at all times and sharpen up the visuals. That was the hope, at least. It became apparent shortly after the Prepare to Die Edition was announced that improved graphics would not be happening, and now From Software is making it clear we shouldn't expect any of those framerate issues to be absent from the game on PC.

"In terms of the framerate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologizes for that happening [in the console version]," producer Daisuke Uchiyama told Eurogamer. "In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimization for PC."

Uchiyama admitted From hasn't considered the PC market much in the past because it is not a significant platform in Japan. As a result, the developer is encountering some difficulty in bringing Dark Souls over from consoles.

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC," he said. "First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now."

Prepare to Die Edition's release being scheduled for August 24 doesn't provide a lot of time for things to be turned out. It's not all bad news, as From is developing roughly 10 hours of new content (including three new areas and four new bosses) that will be included for free and released as DLC for the console versions. But the way this port is shaping up leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

It's one thing for the graphics to not be getting overhauled for high-end PCs. It's quite another for major framerate issues in the console game to be brought to PC without being addressed. From may not have PC development expertise, so I can't help but wish it had only been tasked with developing the new content while an external team more familiar with PC development could have taken advantage of the more capable hardware.

It's not difficult to imagine this decision comes down to Namco Bandai, a publisher which doesn't release games for PC often, viewing the Prepare to Die Edition as an especially niche title not worth investing heavily into. As many other PC gamers do, I always find it off-putting when it's abundantly clear a PC port of a console game had a minimal amount of effort put into it. The new content can be pointed to as a sign this isn't the case, but I wonder if all of that would have been coming to the console games as DLC regardless of the PC port happening. Even if that is not the case, going in knowing my PC's hardware won't be taken advantage of and that the Blighttown framerate issues are intact make it much more difficult to get excited about what should have been the definitive version of an already great game.

gently caress. At least they are being upfront and honest about it.

:flaccid:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

It's not difficult to imagine this decision comes down to Namco Bandai, a publisher which doesn't release games for PC often, viewing the Prepare to Die Edition as an especially niche title not worth investing heavily into.
I thought I read something that said that Dark Souls was Bamco's biggest hit in the non-Japanese market yet...?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Aww. :( But as you said, appreciate the honesty when they straight up said they have lack of experience porting to PC.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just hurry up and get Prepare to Die out so I can get excited for Artorias of the Abyss DLC.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

the truth posted:

I would not and did not say selfish, but I stand by my opinion that creating something is a more valuable experience than consuming something.

You don't think that isn't the very definition of high and mighty, telling people their choice of video games is somehow less meaningful than another? It's video games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Troffen posted:

You don't think that isn't the very definition of high and mighty, telling people their choice of video games is somehow less meaningful than another? It's video games.

Many games aren't worth playing, I think most people will agree with that, and there isn't enough time in the day to even play the good ones.

Hope you have fun playing whatever you play.

the truth fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 8, 2012

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Just Cause 2:

Started playing and was very "meh" about it. Culminated in the car chase where I'm just shooting dudes chasing us going "boring, done this tons of times.."

THEN, I got the glorious thought of leaping/grappling to the other vehicles, slapping c4 to the roof, and blowing them up. For a nice finish I shot out the tires one the last few cars and watched the tumble off the road.

Yeah, not feeling "meh" anymore. I loving LOVE this game.

Edit: Excellent marketing strategy by Sony with the PS+ games this month. Even if the average monthly lineup is weaker than this one I'm still happy with signing up for the service.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 8, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm sure that with enough processing power, you could just brute-force the game to run smoothly.

I wonder how online will work? I was hoping that it would support mods, but due to their inexperience, it's not likely.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly I don't think From is very good at programming for consoles either, even though they've been doing it for like a decade.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Can you grapple two helicopters together?

Because I just had an idea. The cars do random things when grappled together, due to differences in mass/etc... but I want to grapple two helicopters together and see how much of a clusterfuck that is. It might be tricky to pull off, you'd probably need to attract the attention of one while standing near one that's parked on a helipad then take off, but... hmmm.

Oh why do I have to be stuck at work right now. :argh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Krad posted:

So, Watch Dogs is possibly probably coming to the PS3 (and X360).

I honestly don't see what the fuss is all about, aside from looking really pretty.

The trailer confirms its coming for 360, PS3, and PC.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh boy, this doesn't look good.
http://www.1up.com/previews/dark-souls-pc-port-underwhelms

gently caress. At least they are being upfront and honest about it.

I'm still going to get the PC version I think. I want to be able to have playthroughs where I can cheat offline. It's nice to know what to expect, i'm glad they are honest, even if it will mean lost sales.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

the truth posted:

Many games aren't worth playing, I think most people will agree with that, and there isn't enough time in the day to even play the good ones.

Hope you have fun playing whatever you play.

It's very true that fighting games take a good amount of time and dedication that a lot of people aren't willing or able to put into any one game and they definitely aren't for everyone, but that's not really what we were talking about. I think the argument has just come back around to "fighting games suck" so let's just agree to disagree here.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Retro42 posted:

Just Cause 2:

Started playing and was very "meh" about it. Culminated in the car chase where I'm just shooting dudes chasing us going "boring, done this tons of times.."

THEN, I got the glorious thought of leaping/grappling to the other vehicles, slapping c4 to the roof, and blowing them up. For a nice finish I shot out the tires one the last few cars and watched the tumble off the road.

Edit: Excellent marketing strategy by Sony with the PS+ games this month. Even if the average monthly lineup is weaker than this one I'm still happy with signing up for the service.

Yeah, Just Cause 2 is basically the perfect sandbox, in that the world just kinda exists and it's up to you to figure out how to have fun. If you just run around and shoot all the bad guys and finish all the missions you're gonna think it's boring as hell, but when you decide to start taking advantage of all the tools at your disposal and drive a tank into a statue of the dictator, then attach the statue's head to a helicopter and fly it into an enemy base as a flying wrecking ball, you start to have a MUCH better time.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally got around to watching the trailer for the newest God of War game and...I just don't get it, why is this series just continuing like nothing happened? The end of 3 sure looked pretty final to me, like they wanted it to be the end of Kratos's story. Every other huge developer is showing off something new and exciting while they're just making the same game over and over again, I guess just without a fixed camera this time.

Maybe because people really like the God of War games and by the time it releases it will have been 3 years since GOW3? Also really, every other huge developer is showing off something new and exciting? That's laughable at best. All they're showing is the latest entries in the yearly COD, Assassin's Creed and Need For Speed franchises etc, so don't try and single out Sony Santa Monica for something the whole industry does. At least they have the courtesy to take their time developing it and try something new rather than making GBS threads out the same game every single year.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, Just Cause 2 is basically the perfect sandbox, in that the world just kinda exists and it's up to you to figure out how to have fun. If you just run around and shoot all the bad guys and finish all the missions you're gonna think it's boring as hell, but when you decide to start taking advantage of all the tools at your disposal and drive a tank into a statue of the dictator, then attach the statue's head to a helicopter and fly it into an enemy base as a flying wrecking ball, you start to have a MUCH better time.
It's one of those rare instances of a sandbox game done correctly (so many games try and fail miserably). The only thing JC2 was missing was destructible environments.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

melon cat posted:

It's one of those rare instances of a sandbox game done correctly (so many games try and fail miserably). The only thing JC2 was missing was destructible environments.

Oh god, if the cities were destructable. :stare:

If there was a button you could push to regenerate it all, that would be the perfect sandbox game.

e. There's no multiplayer right? Because if there were, THAT would be the ultimate sandbox experience. Can you even imagine 16 player Just Cause 2? Chains of tethered objects as far as the eye could see. The poor engine wouldn't know what to do.

e2. Yeah what muffins said, coop

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 8, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just Cause 3: Red Faction.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I dunno about you guys but I think Just Cause 2 would have been even better with co-op as well. I mean the game is fantastic fun already, but being able to play with a friend would have been awesome. I can only hope that the sequel will have some form of online co-op integrated into the experience.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Renegade Ops was pretty much top-down Just Cause 2 with 4 player coop, running on the same engine and everything. I wonder if that was like secretly a test case for their netcode or something.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Retro42 posted:

Just Cause 2:

I enjoyed grappling the cars to the sides of the bridge.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Renegade Ops was pretty much top-down Just Cause 2 with 4 player coop, running on the same engine and everything. I wonder if that was like secretly a test case for their netcode or something.
I own Renegade Ops on Steam but I am thinking about buying it on the PSN instead now, it has an incredibly irritating control glitch with my 360 pad that is keeping me from finishing the game. But if I wait long enough maybe it will become cheaper or free for PS+ subscribers.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
JC2 has been great for me but I am hitting a wall blocking my fun I think. I made the mistake of not taking advice about putting the game on the easiest difficulty. gently caress, how hard can normal be when there is hard and harder? I may not be made out of paper, but you get into situations where so much fire is coming at you at once that you might as well be and a helicopter can come in and has a chance to ruin your day before you can hijack it.

It seems I can't switch difficulty mid game, sadly. Is casual such a difference that I should go ahead and restart?

Also, I am little upset that the vehicles I bought on PSN are not especially cheap in game. I paid a buck for Monster truck an a hovercraft each and I would like them at my disposal constantly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was playing Lara Croft: Guardian of Light just now, co-op with some anonymous internet person. It was all going fine until after a cutscene I spawned inside a wall and couldn't get out, I had to quit. Is that a common occurrence in that game?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was playing Lara Croft: Guardian of Light just now, co-op with some anonymous internet person. It was all going fine until after a cutscene I spawned inside a wall and couldn't get out, I had to quit. Is that a common occurrence in that game?

No that is not a common occurrence.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wandle Cax posted:

No that is not a common occurrence.
Well it happened to me in the first ten minutes of my first time playing, so I don't know what to think. Also just in general the lag was awful and enemies and stuff were jumping all over the place. I didn't see any indication of my connection strength with my partner but wouldn't quick match have paired me up with someone with a good connection?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
How long is the current PS Plus lineup sticking around before they switch it out for another batch? And if I download one of those titles, will I still be able to play it after the switch so long as I'm still a member?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Behonkiss posted:

How long is the current PS Plus lineup sticking around before they switch it out for another batch? And if I download one of those titles, will I still be able to play it after the switch so long as I'm still a member?

It'll switch out for another batch in about a month, and as long as you have PS+, you can play it whenever you want.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Behonkiss posted:

Yep, they're yours to keep as long as you're a subscribing member. Not sure how long they're sticking around but you can always "tag" them as purchased by clicking on them and confirming purchase, then backing out. You'll see a red shopping bag and they'll be in your download history for later.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Behonkiss posted:

The Playstation Plus content is updated once a month. As long as you're a member you can play whatever you get even after it's removed from the listings. The stuff on the listings is all purchasable otherwise, so even if you delete it from your PS3 you can just look up the game and download it again for free. You won't be able to actually play it though unless you're a member. You don't have to keep the membership forever you can not renew, then whenever you feel like playing one for a while renew it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is still blowing my mind, frankly. Even just this one time thing would already make PS+ like no video game deal I had ever seen, but they're going to keep doing it? For how long?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is still blowing my mind, frankly. Even just this one time thing would already make PS+ like no video game deal I had ever seen, but they're going to keep doing it? For how long?

It won't be 12 new games all at once again. I think as usual a few will rotate out for new free games every month. Just like before but drastically increasing the overall value at any given time compared to pre E3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did say they're raising the number of free games they normally give though, so it'll be a few a month.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Jjaarreett posted:

Yep, they're yours to keep as long as you're a subscribing member. Not sure how long they're sticking around but you can always "tag" them as purchased by clicking on them and confirming purchase, then backing out. You'll see a red shopping bag and they'll be in your download history for later.
This is really good advice. For all the people new to the PS+ stuff: if you have even the slightest interest in any or all of the free games, now or future, put all of them in your cart and 'buy' them. You don't have to download them now, as you can still find them in your download history anytime. Even when the games stop being free you can still download them, as you've already 'bought' them. (For as long as you're subscribed, anyhow.) I think the point deserves repeating, especially for those of us with dwindling hard drive space.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A quick question about PS+

So if you don't actually download the free games on the month they're free, do you lose access to them entirely or is the sort of thing where you can redownload them as long as you're subscribed?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So if you don't actually download the free games on the month they're free, do you lose access to them entirely or is the sort of thing where you can redownload them as long as you're subscribed?

If you don't download any of the freebies before they're pulled then you won't be able to get them until Sony puts it back up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

If you "buy" but do not actually download, they're still in your Download List and you can get them whenever.

If you do not "buy" you won't get them.

That's why it's a good idea to just toss every free Plus thing into your cart on update days and checkout.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

If you don't download any of the freebies before they're pulled then you won't be able to get them until Sony puts it back up.

Aphrodite posted:

If you "buy" but do not actually download, they're still in your Download List and you can get them whenever.

If you do not "buy" you won't get them.

That's why it's a good idea to just toss every free Plus thing into your cart on update days and checkout.

Cool, thanks. That latter part is exactly what I was wondering about. I'll go do that now. Thanks!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Just "claim" the PS+ freebie by purchasing it before it's taken away and you lose your chance. You are not required to download it right then and there unless you want to. I've been a PS+ member going on 2 years and I have a huge backlog of former freebies I still haven't gotten around to playing but still can if the need ever strikes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've paid 90~ Euro for 30 months of PSN (EU deals own). So far, I've gotten over 100 games, a whole bunch of DLC and a huge number of deals out of it, including all the stuff I was hoping for.

I ran out of HD space back when Far Cry 2 and Tomb Raider Underworld popped up for free, though. :(

• Locked thread