Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

sass menagerie posted:

Yep! I used to use it all the time writing papers in university:

http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/

this owns! thanks a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Txiuct posted:

Is there any way to find the old copy of a program that was updated from the App Store? I updated a program and now it won't start up and I can't find an old copy on the devs website.
Do you have Time Machine set up?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Txiuct posted:

Is there any way to find the old copy of a program that was updated from the App Store? I updated a program and now it won't start up and I can't find an old copy on the devs website.
Contact the dev and find out why the newest version isn't starting up?

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Has anyone had an issue where dialog boxes stop displaying text? This is the first time I've ever had it happen on my machine. It's running 10.7.4.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Anyone use SkyDrive with 10.6?

I'm not upgrading anytime soon, and I am trying to spread my files among several free options.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

albear posted:

Has anyone had an issue where dialog boxes stop displaying text? This is the first time I've ever had it happen on my machine. It's running 10.7.4.

Rebuild the font cache or whatever it's called?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone have any experiences with FileVault2 FDE and SSDs? I have a 2010 C2D MBP and will be getting a Crucial M4 delivered tomorrow, if it matters (which I think it does, because I don't think C2Ds have native/hardware AES encryption, and neither does the M4 SSD from what I can read).

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Bob Morales posted:

Rebuild the font cache or whatever it's called?

Boom, this one fixed it. Before this, I resolved all duplicate fonts in the font book and reset my PRAM.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone have any experiences with FileVault2 FDE and SSDs? I have a 2010 C2D MBP and will be getting a Crucial M4 delivered tomorrow, if it matters (which I think it does, because I don't think C2Ds have native/hardware AES encryption, and neither does the M4 SSD from what I can read).
FileVault 2 is an entirely software-based FDE. It doesn't matter what the hardware is.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

wolffenstein posted:

FileVault 2 is an entirely software-based FDE. It doesn't matter what the hardware is.

It uses AES-NI if available, so yes, it does matter in theory. Whether the difference is noticeable in practice is what he's asking (I don't know).

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

unruly posted:

Do you have Time Machine set up?

Yeah but not for my applications folder, just docs/music/video/photos/.

wolffenstein posted:

Contact the dev and find out why the newest version isn't starting up?

I did this, hopefully I get a reply. Thanks to both of you for the help.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

My 13" Air has now gone blank for about a minute twice over the last two days. Both times I was simply browsing the web with an amply charged battery.

I've never really seen anything like it before. I started off pressing the keyboard and mouse trying to awake the computer, but nothing. Eventually I pressed the power button and things seemed to revive about 10 seconds after that. Is there some key combination that my subconscious has recently taken a liking to? Or is something really wrong here?

I've got nothing. :confused:

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 7, 2012

pfdotn
Jan 12, 2011

You're not putting anything magnetic near the base of the trackpad? I had my Air sitting on top of $employer's issued laptop and the magnet in its lid tripped the Air into sleep mode.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I disable Chrome from displaying PDFs in its native PDF viewer? It's really slow and I prefer to just download them.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I disable Chrome from displaying PDFs in its native PDF viewer? It's really slow and I prefer to just download them.

Go to chrome://plugins/

Disable PDF viewer.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pfdotn posted:

You're not putting anything magnetic near the base of the trackpad? I had my Air sitting on top of $employer's issued laptop and the magnet in its lid tripped the Air into sleep mode.

There is nothing magnetic near the trackpad. But your question does make me curious: is there a way to put the computer to sleep solely by the trackpad?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

There is nothing magnetic near the trackpad. But your question does make me curious: is there a way to put the computer to sleep solely by the trackpad?

I'm guessing that's just where the sensor is that tells the computer when the lid is closed. So I guess you could put it to sleep with the trackpad if you had a magnet in your hand.

Edit - Magnetic wrist band maybe?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Not real sure what the best thread to ask this question in is, but I am moving over to iCloud and plan on using the email and everything.

Currently my itunes/apple account is set up under my gmail address.

Is there a way to move/merge that into my icloud account & me.com email so everything "apple" is under my me.com address?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Alfalfa posted:

Not real sure what the best thread to ask this question in is, but I am moving over to iCloud and plan on using the email and everything.

Is there a way to move/merge that into my icloud account & me.com email so everything "apple" is under my me.com address?

Honestly, I think it's as easy as using iTunes. Store > View My Account > then click edit next to your Apple ID.

I guess you can change your security questions from that screen as well.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I also did the full move over to iCloud, and annoyingly it doesn't let me set my primary email address for my Apple ID to my me.com email. So it's still set to my old gmail one (even though I can still login with the me.com address)

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I'm not sure whether this goes here or in the Haus, so sorry if I guessed wrong. I just got a 2006-vintage MacBook from work, and it's got a bunch of random files on it from previous employees that have used it. I'm not interested in spending a bunch of time curating their data (and I'm not a Mac person anyway), and this machine has hundreds of random programs off of the Internet installed on it, so I kind of want to blindly back it all up, then do a fresh install.

I tried to open Time Machine, which Google told me would be helpful for this purpose, but it popped a box that said, "You cannot use the application \"Time Machine\" with this version of Mac OS X.". "About This Mac" reports that I have version 10.4.11 of the OS. Can anyone make a recommendation?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It sounds like there are multiple versions of OS X installed on that laptop (Time Machine was released in 10.5.) Do you see more than one entry in System Preferences>Startup Disk? If so, restart into that one to use TM.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

carry on then posted:

It sounds like there are multiple versions of OS X installed on that laptop (Time Machine was released in 10.5.) Do you see more than one entry in System Preferences>Startup Disk? If so, restart into that one to use TM.

According to that program, there is only 10.4.11. I imagine that one of my co-workers wanted to use the program, copied it over from a 10.5 machine, and then didn't delete it when it didn't work. Is there some other program that would be helpful here?

Fake edit: Found a USB hard drive with enough free space in a bin of parts, so hopefully that will be faster than having this machine talk to our Time Capsule over the network anyway. Can I just copy and paste everything from "Macintosh HD" to a folder on this backup drive?

Real edit: Looks like that operation requires a password that is probably known only to a person who hasn't worked here in two years, so that's out. I'm logged into the machine now, but I don't know the password for the account I'm logged in with and can't get it. This is the other reason that I wanted to reinstall.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 7, 2012

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

For making a complete image, Carbon Copy Cloner is the go to software (free.) It's probably your best bet for ensuring you have everything when you go to reinstall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not exactly Mac software but for use on a Mac. What's the cheapest way to legally get Windows? I bought some PC Games on sale through Steam thinking I could grab a student copy of Windows for like $60 but it is insanely expensive, like 250-400 dollars depending on the version which is way out of my price range.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Not exactly Mac software but for use on a Mac. What's the cheapest way to legally get Windows? I bought some PC Games on sale through Steam thinking I could grab a student copy of Windows for like $60 but it is insanely expensive, like 250-400 dollars depending on the version which is way out of my price range.

This is a Windows question so they will probably have better answers for you in another thread.

My University has a subscription to the MSDN Academic Alliance which basically gets you free versions, so maybe look into that (assuming you're a student).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NESguerilla posted:

I bought an "OEM System Builder Pack" from amazon for about 100 bucks.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Anyone else still get that annoying tooltips getting stuck issue? For example in Chrome, sometimes the Close tooltip when you hover over the close button on a tab gets stuck in the middle of the browser until you hover over the close button again.

I've noticed it on various macs, real and hacked, since Leopard and I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

This is a crosspost from the Mac gaming thread as I saw a similar issue was briefly talked about in there, but maybe goons here can help.

Is there a reason that Super Meat Boy and Psychonauts are only sporadically recognizing my wired 360 controller despite installing the Psychonauts patch and the tattiebogle driver?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've tried restarting the computer and every other little thing I can think of to no avail. I eventually got Psychonauts to work decently with the patch but I couldn't get it to map correctly so I gave up on it. Super Meat Boy will recognize the control stick at the menus but not any of the buttons, and once I get into the game itself the only input that makes the character do anything is the keyboard. It's very strange. To make matters weirder, the gamepad is recognized in Bastion just fine.

I'm running 10.6.8 snow leopard on a macbook pro and playing through steam if that makes any difference.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Somehow I have managed to separate my iTouch Apple account from my iTunes Apple account and now I have stuff registered to two different names including apps.

Knowing that this is not really a OS X software issue, but is there anyway to say "Collapse all these into one account dammit?"

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

kapalama posted:

Somehow I have managed to separate my iTouch Apple account from my iTunes Apple account and now I have stuff registered to two different names including apps.

Knowing that this is not really a OS X software issue, but is there anyway to say "Collapse all these into one account dammit?"

Nope.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
I'm running Lion, and I'm trying to find an app that can display folder sizes for whole computer. I know Windows has an app called Tree Size, and would like something like that for Mac.

My drive is getting full, and I'm curious if there are some folders I'm not thinking of that I could clean out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know about an app, but you can certainly open up Terminal, type "sudo du -k / | sort -n", wait a minute or two and just scroll through the list. Heavy hitters will be on the bottom.

Only downside is that you have to hunt and peck through directories since it's cumulative, so if you have a ton of poo poo in /Users/myname/Music and /Users/myname/Movies then /Users/myname will be like #1 on the list, and obviously you don't just want to clean out that folder, you'll need to scroll up to see more individual entries.

I'm sure there's an app, I just don't know any.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mithra6 posted:

I'm running Lion, and I'm trying to find an app that can display folder sizes for whole computer. I know Windows has an app called Tree Size, and would like something like that for Mac.

My drive is getting full, and I'm curious if there are some folders I'm not thinking of that I could clean out.

there's Grand Perspective which does the file size by blocks and sorta indicates which files are in what folder.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mithra6 posted:

There are 4 different storage visualizers listed in the OP.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Alfalfa posted:

Apple won't do any moving or merging. If you create a brand new Apple ID, you'll be able to create an iCloud email address and use that as a "real" ID. I think that's the only way for now.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Is there any reason to continue using Adium once Messages comes out (if it isn't buggy still)? I'm assuming the new Adium will drop growl for the built in notifications, but I dunno.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I doubt Apple Messages will ever do MSN, will it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I doubt Apple Messages will ever do MSN, will it?
There's a plugin.

http://cocoon.drinkbrainjuice.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Do we know about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTKFPw154

Just used this feature to figure out the path to my new WDTV media player NAS.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 8, 2012