Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Niwrad posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what is that pad you are using for the keyboard and mouse. That would be perfect for me.

Also for those managing cables, what is the best way of going about that? Any tips for a beginner?

keyboard looks like my beige version of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

He's asking about the giant mousepad, not the things on top of it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

diospadre posted:

I'm an idiot for not reading closely. It's an X-Trac pad, likely this one at 18x36

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

diospadre posted:

Oh I feel stupid.

RichestManInTown
May 1, 2004

People I meet keep getting torn into pieces.

Niwrad posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what is that pad you are using for the keyboard and mouse. That would be perfect for me.

Also for those managing cables, what is the best way of going about that? Any tips for a beginner?

It's an Xtrac Ripper XXL. I definitely love mine. As for the cables, like others have suggested I will probably get some velcro ties. Also big electronics stores like Fry's have some cheap wall clips and stuff that I'll probably get at some point.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks guys. That pad is just what I needed. My Ikea desk is seeing the paint wear off from use.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

My room after two days of removing the carpet, cleaning, and organizing:

Most of the sound equipment isn't mine, I'm just holding on to it for friends who don't have space for it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
That's after cleaning? :ohdear:

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

That's after cleaning? :ohdear:
To be fair, it's about a week post-cleaning so a little bit of trash has started to accumulate again.

The room tends to look dirty no matter how much time you spend cleaning it because whoever painted it last did an awful job. The floor just looks like that. I could put effort into making the walls look good but they're just going to go to hell again after I move out (which will be in a year or so).

I'm certainly not done cleaning it, but I'm taking a break because removing the disgusting shag carpet and cleaning up all of the little carpet fragments that got thrown everywhere was quite a chore.

Edit: also I was spending most of my cleaning effort on the front half of the room so the back half is still messy

Socket Ryanist fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 7, 2012

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

also the pictures were taken right after I swapped speakers around, so that's why there's speakers and such strewn about. All of that is planned to go under the bed loft, but I want to go through the stuff that's under there first

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

_adam posted:

New desk! Now I just need a dual monitor mount and matching monitors...

How do you like the Logitech keyboard? I was wanting a backlit keyboard and that one looks pretty good.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Carl Seitan posted:

How do you like the Logitech keyboard? I was wanting a backlit keyboard and that one looks pretty good.

It feels like a really high quality laptop keyboard. I've got two sitting around collecting dust since I've discovered mechanicals, though.

Anyone here tried the Herman Miller Envelop desk? Right now I have a non-height adjustable wood desk with a keyboard drawer. It's so-so, but I'd be keen to try something more ergo.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Carl Seitan posted:

I love mine, if you want a low profile keyboard it's probably the way to go.

Scissor switches aren't particularly durable though, so if you type particularly fervently, or eat over your keyboard a lot you'll definitely shorten its lifespan (I do both)

E: Have an anecdote about Logitech support though. I broke my "E" key and contacted them asking if I could buy another "E" key, and made it clear that I had broken it, but didn't want to buy a whole new keyboard. The rep said something to the effect of "It sounds to me like your keyboard is defective, if you'd like to provide your address I'll ship out a new keyboard and a return label as soon as possible"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

krooj posted:

It feels like a really high quality laptop keyboard. I've got two sitting around collecting dust since I've discovered mechanicals, though.

Anyone here tried the Herman Miller Envelop desk? Right now I have a non-height adjustable wood desk with a keyboard drawer. It's so-so, but I'd be keen to try something more ergo.

That desk looks awesome for ergonomy, I'm a bit sceptical about how it works with a few monitors on there though... What's you current setup? (monitors? speakers on the desk? stuff like that)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Wibla posted:

That desk looks awesome for ergonomy, I'm a bit sceptical about how it works with a few monitors on there though... What's you current setup? (monitors? speakers on the desk? stuff like that)

Dual 24" panels with couple of speakers, which might be okay, though I am considering a third monitor.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I use this one and it's great so long as you don't want to move the monitors around frequently.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5560&seq=1&format=2

Is the rating up to 23" monitors strict? I want something like that for my pair of 24" Dell U2412Ms.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Edward IV posted:

Is the rating up to 23" monitors strict? I want something like that for my pair of 24" Dell U2412Ms.

Probably not. They're pretty beefy mounts.

I've only got 19" monitors on mine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Edward IV posted:

What's important is weight:

quote:

*Supported screen sizes in descriptions are provided as a guide. Not all models of televisions will fall within guidelines.
IMPORTANT! Please note that the screen sizes listed are only approximations. The VESA pattern used to mount the display and the weight of the display are the primary indicators of whether a given display and mount are compatible. Please check the VESA pattern listed in your product manual to ensure that this mount will work with your display.
Max weight is 15kg/33lbs, so how heavy the monitor is determines the real answer to your question. According to Dell, the Panel alone weighs 3.97 kg (8.73 lbs), so you should be fine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The VESA standard is usually a no-brainer because they are 100 or 75 anyway, however with dual monitor mount you have to look at how "flat" you have to put those arms to still fit the panels on.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

The VESA standard is usually a no-brainer because they are 100 or 75 anyway, however with dual monitor mount you have to look at how "flat" you have to put those arms to still fit the panels on.

Yah, this is a big one. Depending on what you want to do/get out of your mount you might be able to use a single double arm, but you also might find you lose some flexibility with it due to the degree of extension required. Particularly with the monoprice level mounts, they are so cheap it is worth considering just getting two single arm mounts if it won't be to painful to look at and you want maximum flexibility in positioning them.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bit of a strange request, maybe, but I'm looking for the smallest full-sized keyboard I can buy.

Right now I've got the Microsoft Wired 600, which is 17.9" by 6.28", but it's a budget keyboard. I recently upgraded my mouse to a higher model, so it'd be nice to type on something that isn't so cheap as well.

Here's the keyboard I've got:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/wired-keyboard-600/ANB-00006

You can see what I mean by "full" - it doesn't make any concessions for space. All of the keys are there, and they're all full size.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Centipeed posted:

Bit of a strange request, maybe, but I'm looking for the smallest full-sized keyboard I can buy.

Right now I've got the Microsoft Wired 600, which is 17.9" by 6.28", but it's a budget keyboard. I recently upgraded my mouse to a higher model, so it'd be nice to type on something that isn't so cheap as well.

Here's the keyboard I've got:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/wired-keyboard-600/ANB-00006

You can see what I mean by "full" - it doesn't make any concessions for space. All of the keys are there, and they're all full size.
I don't see how you end up with a noticeable smaller keyboard unless you give up the numpad or go with a laptop style 88-key keyboard.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
My new work desk:

The screens from left to right:
1) Email
2) RDP Sessions
3) My 'workspace'
4) Our monitoring dashboard, which rotates every minute to show things like Graphite and Nagios etc.
Laptop) Facebook and chat :v:

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Here is what I hope to be a "before" picture.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

NZAmoeba posted:

My new work desk:

Condolences on the 5330.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ron Burgundy posted:

Condolences on the 5330.

I hate this thing so much

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

My pretentious ergonomic sit/stand workstation is nearly complete.

I have some cable management stuff on the underside of the desk, but I need to get a power strip with a longer cord for it to work when the desk is elevated. Also planning on getting a keyboard tray where I can stuff my laptop and external hard drive.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gordon Cole posted:

I have some cable management stuff on the underside of the desk, but I need to get a power strip with a longer cord for it to work when the desk is elevated. Also planning on getting a keyboard tray where I can stuff my laptop and external hard drive.

What desk is that and how much did it cost? I'm looking for a new desk and doing the sit/stand thing seems appealing depending on the price point.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

It's the AD127 from http://www.ergodepot.com/, which was about $800. The cheapest ones are much smaller and start at around $600.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"

Socket Ryanist posted:

My room after two days of removing the carpet, cleaning, and organizing:

Most of the sound equipment isn't mine, I'm just holding on to it for friends who don't have space for it.

Looks like promotion renders for Fallout 4.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I figured this would be the best place to ask, so can anyone recommend a good computer chair for $100? My current chair is amazing: mesh back, adjustable headrest, back tilts independently from seat, but it's 8 years old and the height adjustment is shot, so it's stuck at the lowest height which is a few inches too short for my current desk.

The reason I don't just get a $70 task chair from Staples is because I consume a lot of media on my home PC, so comfort for extended sessions is important. I'm not comfortable spending $200 on a chair because I'll be finishing grad school in a year and I have no idea what kind of home office environment I'll have afterwards. However, if there's a great chair for a great price, I'd be willing to pay for quality and just deal with moving another piece of furniture. I'd also be willing to wait since my old chair is still serviceable, albeit barely.

I remember about 10 years ago, Walmart sold $60 high back chairs. Is there anything similar these days? I'd be okay with buying locally or from Amazon. For reference, I'm 6' tall.

edit: v We do have a Sam's Club and Costco reasonably nearby. I was thinking, maybe the cheaper solution would be to somehow raise myself by about 3". I could buy a bunch of those plastic mat thingies; maybe Ikea sells them cheaply.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 12, 2012

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask, so can anyone recommend a good computer chair for $100?

If you have a Costco near you, check there. They have some pretty decent office chairs that are cheap.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

shrughes posted:

Here is what I hope to be a "before" picture.

Aaaaaa is that a GDM-FW900?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask, so can anyone recommend a good computer chair for $100? My current chair is amazing: mesh back, adjustable headrest, back tilts independently from seat, but it's 8 years old and the height adjustment is shot, so it's stuck at the lowest height which is a few inches too short for my current desk.

The reason I don't just get a $70 task chair from Staples is because I consume a lot of media on my home PC, so comfort for extended sessions is important. I'm not comfortable spending $200 on a chair because I'll be finishing grad school in a year and I have no idea what kind of home office environment I'll have afterwards. However, if there's a great chair for a great price, I'd be willing to pay for quality and just deal with moving another piece of furniture. I'd also be willing to wait since my old chair is still serviceable, albeit barely.

I remember about 10 years ago, Walmart sold $60 high back chairs. Is there anything similar these days? I'd be okay with buying locally or from Amazon. For reference, I'm 6' tall.

edit: v We do have a Sam's Club and Costco reasonably nearby. I was thinking, maybe the cheaper solution would be to somehow raise myself by about 3". I could buy a bunch of those plastic mat thingies; maybe Ikea sells them cheaply.

Try looking for a used Aeron or steel case leap. It will be a bit more but they will last you 10-20 years and are miles ahead of anything you would find in that price range.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Phiberoptik posted:

Try looking for a used Aeron or steel case leap. It will be a bit more but they will last you 10-20 years and are miles ahead of anything you would find in that price range.

A Leap or Aeron in the $100 range would be a total pile of crap. Absolute minimum cost for a used one is going to be $200, and he said that's out of his price range. Also there is a chair thread.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

MW posted:

Looks like promotion renders for Fallout 4.

nah, looks like college.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Gordon Cole posted:

I was thinking about modifying my desk to try standing up for a few weeks to see how it goes. I tried to find the dedicated thread here but it has vanished to the archives; is there a recommended reading regarding height and other considerations for making one or modifying mine?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because dorms.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

_adam posted:

New desk! Now I just need a dual monitor mount and matching monitors...

Can you post the wallpaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was thinking about modifying my desk to try standing up for a few weeks to see how it goes. I tried to find the dedicated thread here but it has vanished to the archives; is there a recommended reading regarding height and other considerations for making one or modifying mine?

What desk do you have? It's best to just play with the height to find what is most comfy. I personally like my standing desks a bit taller than most, because I don't like my arms to hang to much. There are tons of options from Ikea as well, or Craigslist. Check out ikeahacker.com for ideas, just search for standing desks.