Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Happy Hat posted:

How bad is it to send this to a coworker who just quit?

The bigger a hissy fit that they thew, the more appropriate it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
I have time loving warped into the 21st century.

The last time I bought a tv was in 1992. It was a 27" tube tv and today it went away.

I now have a 51" smart tv that has 3d capability (and neato glasses) and has a maximum resolution so fine that I can see individual facial pores on the people on tv.

Tv didn't suck so much as MY tv sucked.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just bought a new TV too, though only a 46in. It's getting delivered tomorrow, and I totally can't wait to see the pores on asscheeks and nicolas cage's nasal hair and all that good poo poo.

we had an lcd one before, but it decidedly sucked, and was quite a bit smaller.

tv buds :thumbsup:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

How bad is it to send this to a coworker who just quit?

doitdoitdoitdoitdoitttttttt

Which people writes their language in a devanagari-derived script and eats shark? I'm taking my guess on tamil but I'm not really sure.

All Exoscandinavians, kindly ignore the placard in upper right corner.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Sjurygg posted:

Which people writes their language in a devanagari-derived script and eats shark? I'm taking my guess on tamil but I'm not really sure.

WHY YOU SHAKESFIST!

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I'm afraid of looking at that picture, I fear Greenpeace will find me

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Funnily enough I had a conversation about Norway and that thing yesterday with the wife and some friends, how coincidental that it pops up today.

I have send the video - it was not well received.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Do any of you have a preferred pasta dough recipe for making ravioli? I'm attempting my first from scratch on Friday.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

100g of durum or semolina per egg, pinch of salt. 3 eggs for four persons.

It's all about the quality of the eggs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Happy Hat posted:

I have send the video - it was not well received.
This makes me happy and also curious as to the specifics of their reaction.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I think I'm having a moment and it's making me crazy. What is the name of the dish that has a tomato base with chicken parts and you bake it in a Dutch oven?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sjurygg posted:

Lower left looks like Tamil. That being said, I can figure out that the first letter is "su" but the second letter I can't make heads nor tails of. It looks like a "r" with some weird appendage attached to it. WTF. And it's not "ha", because that looks like "V" and "R" together: ஹ <-- like that.

Also, I know it's a bit nitpicky, but Tamil is not a Devanagari language. Devanagari spawned such hits as Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, and Nepali. Although the Tamil Brahmins introduced a fair few Sanskrit sounds (also a Devanagari language) into Tamil, the Tamil language makes use of its own script family. The languages in the South are so linguistically different from those of the North, and tend not to be related to each other, except in cases where the Brahmins brought in huge chunks of Sanskrit. So in the South, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada (to a great extent; Kannada is a funny situation), and Tamil are like sister languages, while in the North, Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi, and to a lesser extent, Gujarati, Bengali, and all those sorts of languages. It's funny, because the ones related to the Northern languages are so linguistically different that they're not even considered in the same family of languages. :O

@HappyHat: I dropped your book in the post today. All signed and wrapped. I hope I managed to spell everything correctly, with all the correct diacritic marks. I couldn't figure out how to make it on my keyboard, so I just wrote it out by hand. They made me fill out a scary customs form. I'm guessing that since it's worth only $20, they let it slide? I don't know. Anyway. It cost like $10 to sent to Denmark. Why is it so pricey? Is that about typical for overseas post?

Maybe I'm not used to it, because I buy crap from Amazon UK and it ships free (because I hit the free shipping amounts)? Either way. It must be torture to try to buy American books from Denmark!

dino. fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 6, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Walk Away posted:

I think I'm having a moment and it's making me crazy. What is the name of the dish that has a tomato base with chicken parts and you bake it in a Dutch oven?
Uh, chicken Provençal? That's pretty vague.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Walk Away posted:

Salsa chicken

It may also get you a new avatar

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Love you Dino!

Tell me how to pay, and I will expedite it promptly!

And thank you, thank you, thank you!

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

Salsa chicken

It may also get you a new avatar

I'll take that avatar only if they turn the corks on your avatar's hat into tampons.

Edit: Bloody ones.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I went to a Japanese buffet that just opened today for supper. Amazing food and atmosphere so I'll definitely be going back but God drat, had some interesting incidents. Fiance and I are in a booth, guy at the table across from us flags down a Chinese guy walking past to ask for help, Chinese guy didn't work there, he was just walking back to his own table. You'd think the guy asking would have noticed the person wasn't at all dressed in the same uniform as every other server.

And seriously, I realize it's a buffet but it's pretty gross how dignity just goes out the window for some people. We had two ENORMOUS women sitting across from us before the guy mentioned above was there, they probably ate about four times as much as my fiance in half the time. Couple of stacked plates and then a poo poo load of sushi rolls/nigiri. Maybe it's because I don't go to buffets but the eating habits of the two was honestly comparable to animals. Don't get me wrong, I can pack it away, especially since the man wanted to surprise me and said we were having a big dinner so I ate really conservatively today but the amount of food and lack of manners was :wtc: worthy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Does anyone else like trying out the Heston Blumenthal recipes? I would say I'm moderately skilled at cooking and I have to say they're a lot of fun to make and not as technically challenging as you might imagine.

At the weekend I made Mushroom Jelly with Mushroom Cream which is very nice if slightly disconcerting texture/temperature wise.

I also made his gateau of Passion Fruit Ganache on an exploding candy shortbread base which was very very nice. I then went mad and use the same techniques to make a White Chocolate with Lime and Strawberry Ganache (Two layers, one Lime Ganache and one Strawberry) gateau which turned out really well as well.

I was going to make a thread about cookery experiments but not sure if anyone else is interested in ice filtration of mushroom stock or not.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@HH: Easiest would be just to get me an Amazon.com gift certificate for the amount, because gently caress Paypal, and sending a cheque overseas would probably cost you your first born child. :gonk: I buy pretty drat near everything on Amazon, so there you go. :3

@Walk Away: Why did I read "corks" as "cocks"? :(

@Tori: You were at a buffet. Not sure if you were expecting white tablecloths, and dainty manners, but at a buffet, people who like to eat a lot tend to show up and ... ::shock, horror::, eat a lot. Heavy people need some place where they can eat too. Their giant shovelfuls of food were likely balanced by people who go to a buffet, and eat all of one plate and are full. I would strenuously complain about going to a buffet, because that's about my upper limit at once: about a plateful of food, and I'm good for a while. And yet, family would still drag me along, and be surprised when exactly what I said came to pass. :staredog:

@Ara: I think his technique for making roast potatoes, where you boil and peel the potatoes, add your fat and salt, then bash them about a bit to get the shrapnel-y edges on, then bake them is pretty awesome.

They really do go all crisp and lovely. That being said, it is a fair bit quicker for me to chop the potatoes, South Indian spice them up, then fling it in the oven to finish cooking, and then put it under the hot heat to finish crisping up. It's not that his recipes don't work, but rather that there's a fair few fiddly bits in between that I don't have the patience for when I'm making a bunch of other stuff. I prefer things that go together after a minimum of prep, that can manage themselves for about 20 minutes while I'm making something else. Mind you, that doesn't mean I won't watch/read the heck out of his stuff! I find it fascinating to see his process in finding his recipes, and fine-tuning them.

I know Ricola mentioned before that he likes Heston's recipes. Could you be persuaded to share pictures of your adventures? I know I'm not the only one here who would love to see it. I doubt you'll find people here who would object to interesting and different cooking techniques that get you cool results.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

dino. posted:

@Ara: I think his technique for making roast potatoes, where you boil and peel the potatoes, add your fat and salt, then bash them about a bit to get the shrapnel-y edges on, then bake them is pretty awesome.

They really do go all crisp and lovely. That being said, it is a fair bit quicker for me to chop the potatoes, South Indian spice them up, then fling it in the oven to finish cooking, and then put it under the hot heat to finish crisping up. It's not that his recipes don't work, but rather that there's a fair few fiddly bits in between that I don't have the patience for when I'm making a bunch of other stuff. I prefer things that go together after a minimum of prep, that can manage themselves for about 20 minutes while I'm making something else. Mind you, that doesn't mean I won't watch/read the heck out of his stuff! I find it fascinating to see his process in finding his recipes, and fine-tuning them.

I know Ricola mentioned before that he likes Heston's recipes. Could you be persuaded to share pictures of your adventures? I know I'm not the only one here who would love to see it. I doubt you'll find people here who would object to interesting and different cooking techniques that get you cool results.

His recipes are fiddly but that's kinda what I like about them. The Mushroom Jelly and Cream takes a good few hours to prepare properly (+ a day in the fridge for ice filtration). It's certainly not every day cooking really.

That said things like the Bacon and Banana cookies, exploding chocolate cake and Whisky Jellies (I went for Ardbeg) are really simple and can give you lots of ideas for your own recipes.

Next time I'm trying something a bit different I'll put together a thread for it, assuming it doesn't give me food poisoning.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

Also, I know it's a bit nitpicky, but Tamil is not a Devanagari language. Devanagari spawned such hits as Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, and Nepali. Although the Tamil Brahmins introduced a fair few Sanskrit sounds (also a Devanagari language) into Tamil, the Tamil language makes use of its own script family. The languages in the South are so linguistically different from those of the North, and tend not to be related to each other, except in cases where the Brahmins brought in huge chunks of Sanskrit. So in the South, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada (to a great extent; Kannada is a funny situation), and Tamil are like sister languages, while in the North, Hindi, Marathi, Punjabi, and to a lesser extent, Gujarati, Bengali, and all those sorts of languages. It's funny, because the ones related to the Northern languages are so linguistically different that they're not even considered in the same family of languages. :O

Oh I certainly know it's a Dravidian language, I just seem to remember that the script is derived from Devanagari - itself originally the script for the Indo-European Sanskrit. I seem to remember that Thai, Burmese and Tibetan, and Khmer also use writing systems originally made for Indo-European languages, and they're all from widely divergent language families (Tai-Kradai, Sino-Tibetan, Austro-Asiatic).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Well duh, we all knew that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
What do you think of Ananda as a name for my new band?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How about Phi$h

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:iceburn:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Har$h, man, har$h.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually heard a Kei$ha song (god it pains me just to type that) for the first time the other day. Why the gently caress anyone would aspire to that is beyond me.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Walk Away posted:

I don't think I saw you confirm any of the offered options, so what about chicken cacciatore?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I actually heard a Kei$ha song (god it pains me just to type that) for the first time the other day. Why the gently caress anyone would aspire to that is beyond me.
$.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SYNTAX ERROR - ILLEGAL REFERENCE

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I don't think I saw you confirm any of the offered options, so what about chicken cacciatore?

That may have been it, actually, but I was swearing up and down that it was something else. Maybe I'm just getting too close to being 30 for my own good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I made tater tots from scratch today. They were delicious, golden brown crispy nuggets and we ate em all up. But goddamn that's way too much work for something that tastes only marginally better than asking for fresh tots from the fryer at Sonic. :effort:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I made tater tots from scratch today. They were delicious, golden brown crispy nuggets and we ate em all up. But goddamn that's way too much work for something that tastes only marginally better than asking for fresh tots from the fryer at Sonic. :effort:

Did you do it the happy in the kitchen way? If so, try the ask crunch hash browns next

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

pnumoman posted:

You know what happens when people go pro se for awhile, then come in because they are in waaaaaay over their heads? You bill them for hours and hours of loving cleaning up and organizing your goddamn shitpile of a file.
And then you get to look forward to when you bill your client and he says "How can you charge so much? You hardly did anything!!!"

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Did you do it the happy in the kitchen way? If so, try the ask crunch hash browns next

The what?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I think he's trying to ask if you got a BJ while you were making them.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

bombhand posted:

And then you get to look forward to when you bill your client and he says "How can you charge so much? You hardly did anything!!!"

:suicide:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Happy in the kitchen is michel richard's book where you saw a recipe for tater tits before, I think.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Happy in the kitchen is michel richard's book where you saw a recipe for tater tits before, I think.

Oh, yeah. Found an article online with his recipe. Worked well enough. Way too much effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Mushrooms, techno, and industrial machinery.