Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain that WWE owns it - when he was in WCW he had that awful American Made instead.

Edit: Yep, here we go:

American Made is better than Real American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'll take Dusty's WWF theme as the best 'American' song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiwZHN2p5DI

If you are black or white redneck funky that's alright

holla

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Oatgan posted:

My favourite line is "he's government-inspected, he's US-grade"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oatgan posted:

American Males is the better then both of these.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bobkatt013 posted:

American Males is the better then both of these.

"All-American Boys" will not be ignored.:colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Minidust posted:

I love any theme involving Jacques Rougeau. There's just something pure and good about a guy being hammered and singing his own theme song. It's one of the things that is lost to wrestling, and I am sad because of it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

My favourite line is "he's government-inspected, he's US-grade"

He does look like he contains a huge amount of pink slime.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 8, 2012

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

triplexpac posted:

I love any theme involving Jacques Rougeau. There's just something pure and good about a guy being hammered and singing his own theme song. It's one of the things that is lost to wrestling, and I am sad because of it.

Shawn think's he's cute. Shawn KNOWS he's sexy. Shawn's got the looks, that drive the girls (Sunny) wild.

HEY!
Hand's off Shawn's merchandise!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WWE may have let the rights expire to the song.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

triplexpac posted:

Seriously. Such a hilarious progression.

"I YAM THA MOUNTIE!!!"

(lawsuit threatened, comes back as the Quebecers)

"WE'RE NOT THE MOUNTIES!!!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sexy_trash posted:

Shawn think's he's cute. Shawn KNOWS he's sexy. Shawn's got the looks, that drive the girls (Sunny) wild.

HEY!
Hand's off Shawn's merchandise!

Jerusalem pointed out some time ago how hilarious Big Show's lyrics are and now I can't not notice them.

Get ready for something that you'll never know
You won't see it coming, but I promise you'll know

:psyduck:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Minidust posted:

All-American Boys and Girls in Cars are probably the best songs ever.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lone Rogue posted:

All-American Boys and Girls in Cars are probably the best songs ever.

Might be the best ones, but this is the Perfect one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOZQGa5nbQ

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flameingblack posted:

Punk/Cena gave us two 5 Star matches, what the hell are you talking about?

And that was the good time.

And then the storyline turned into Punk/HHH&Nash.

And Kharma still got made fun of and abused by the Bella Twins on her way out, presumably to set up a... face return? For a monster heel character?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rotinaj posted:

And that was the good time.

And then the storyline turned into Punk/HHH&Nash.

And Kharma still got made fun of and abused by the Bella Twins on her way out, presumably to set up a... face return? For a monster heel character?

She was pretty much a face at the Rumble.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

WWE may have let the rights expire to the song.
If my copyright law classes have anything to say about it, that's not really how copyright or trademark work. I'm not sure if this would count as copyright or trademark as that's chiefly, believe it or not, an issue of brevity. For something to fall into public domain it needs to not only never be used for a number of years (WWE still uses it on DVD releases), but other people need to use it so often without WWE filing cease-and-desists that they can argue that it belongs to America now, basically.

If the piece was work-for-hire, meaning WWE hired somebody to write it for them, they own the rights and they won't just expire. If they licensed it from some record label, then anybody can license it from said record label including TNA.

The thing to remember about copyright and trademark cases is that there are literally no rules that apply to every case no matter what anybody tells you and ultimately it's up to whatever judge sees the case.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thanks to Disney (which engaged in a massive lobbying effort due to concerns about losing the rights to Mickey Mouse and other Walt Disney creations about 15 years ago), a work is copyrighted for the lifetime of the author plus another seventy years. Work that was produced for hire or produced by a corporation is protected for, I believe, 120 years after its creation or 95 years after its first publication, whichever deadline comes first. In the United States, works only fall into the public domain if the copyright holder explicitly files forfeiture paperwork with the Copyright Office, or the rights expire without renewal. Fair use arguments rarely succeed in the absence of either of those conditions.

"Real American" was created by Rick Derringer for the WWF back in '84 or '85, so WWE owns it for several decades to come.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

but other people need to use it so often without WWE filing cease-and-desists that they can argue that it belongs to America now, basically.

This must be the reason :911:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Back in the old days, did anyone ever try to get into Pro Wrestling not knowing that it was fake? How was this handled?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

EDIT: nvm

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Back in the old days, did anyone ever try to get into Pro Wrestling not knowing that it was fake? How was this handled?

They got the poo poo kicked out of them and stretched out of them to the point where the trainer felt they would be able to keep the secret.

It's where the whole "Pay your dues" stuff came from.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

Thanks to Disney (which engaged in a massive lobbying effort due to concerns about losing the rights to Mickey Mouse and other Walt Disney creations about 15 years ago), a work is copyrighted for the lifetime of the author plus another seventy years.
Again, copyright and Trademark aren't the same thing. Lots of Mickey Mouse cartoons are already in the public domain, but Disney will never not own Mickey Mouse as it's a trademark and trademarks literally never expire.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Has there ever been a shoot about Trish Stratus and if so, what was said about her? Besides the hate she received for Wrestlemania 27.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ColeM posted:

Has there ever been a shoot about Trish Stratus and if so, what was said about her? Besides the hate she received for Wrestlemania 27.

About her? Whenever I've heard her mentioned it has always been positive but I don't recall specifics. She has never been put in a Hoe Bag from what I recall.

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

Kawalimus posted:

Brickhouse Brown loved wrestling growing up and nobody ever really clued him into it being a work. He was a legit badass who was brought in one night to do an enhancement match with the champion of WCCW I belive... Anyways long story short he hosed the match up and "won" despite being booked to lose, and bragged in the back to the promoter about making his champion look like a chump, and was legit confused as to why he wasn't allowed to leave with the belt.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LividLiquid posted:

If my copyright law classes have anything to say about it, that's not really how copyright or trademark work. I'm not sure if this would count as copyright or trademark as that's chiefly, believe it or not, an issue of brevity. For something to fall into public domain it needs to not only never be used for a number of years (WWE still uses it on DVD releases), but other people need to use it so often without WWE filing cease-and-desists that they can argue that it belongs to America now, basically.

This.

If people repeatedly abuse a copyright and the original rights holder never says anything about it, then the copyright does get negated to a certain extent.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

ColeM posted:

There's never been a direct shoot on Trish but Torrie Wilson's interviews at times make it clear that she was jealous that she was never given a chance at the women's title and run with it the way Trish was. She always infers that she was held down [by Trish] but lacks the guts to say it outright because she's aware thatnobody in their right loving mind respects the athletic ability or skill of Torrie Wilson beyond wearing a g-string.

Sailor
Apr 2, 2007

Who needs balls when you've got guts.

Kawalimus posted:

I thought this was the case for Hogan and why Matsuda broke the Hulkster's leg to pay all his dues in one shot, brother, but that could be complete myth.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Was "Husky Harris" a Braden Walker joke?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wojtek posted:

Was "Husky Harris" a Braden Walker joke?

God I hope so.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ColeM posted:

Lone Rogue posted:

About her? Whenever I've heard her mentioned it has always been positive but I don't recall specifics. She has never been put in a Hoe Bag from what I recall.

She received hate for that? I thought all the hate was for Melina with some left over for Morrison because the two decided to treat Trish like poo poo instead of one of the greatest women's wrestlers ever coming back for a Wrestlemania match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
No, the heat was definitely on Melina & Morrison.

The WWE will never unionize. However, with their guys getting all these WWE movie parts, are they getting SAG cards?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rodney the Piper posted:

No, the heat was definitely on Melina & Morrison.

The WWE will never unionize. However, with their guys getting all these WWE movie parts, are they getting SAG cards?

For a while they were getting SAG insurance but I haven't heard about that for a while so SAG may have put a stop to it.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Pope Corky the IX posted:

She received hate for that? I thought all the hate was for Melina with some left over for Morrison because the two decided to treat Trish like poo poo instead of one of the greatest women's wrestlers ever coming back for a Wrestlemania match.

Hell, she was the only 1 of the 3 mentioned girls in the gently caress, Marry, Kill segment of Perry Saturn's shoot that he wouldn't kill. (The other 2 were Lita and Missy Hyatt).

Also, question:

I just watched the AWA documentary. I know AWA had a huge impact due to bringing up all of the great stars that transferred to WWF, and Gagne was a staple in wrestling at the time, but is Gagne truly as important as so many of the interviews portray him? Or is it a "We're making a documentary and inducting you to the HoF so we are gonna slob that knob"? It just seems like there is a lot of Greg, Verne, and the inner circle crediting Verne for drat near everything in wrestling.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Saints Crow posted:

I just watched the AWA documentary. I know AWA had a huge impact due to bringing up all of the great stars that transferred to WWF, and Gagne was a staple in wrestling at the time, but is Gagne truly as important as so many of the interviews portray him? Or is it a "We're making a documentary and inducting you to the HoF so we are gonna slob that knob"? It just seems like there is a lot of Greg, Verne, and the inner circle crediting Verne for drat near everything in wrestling.

Speaking as someone who got into wrestling around the early-mid 1980s, I can safely say the Apter mags were the only place where the AWA was remotely treated like a big deal. This was because, like Verne and the AWA, the Apter mags still wished it was the 1970s, where wrestling shows had no flashy elements outside of the occasional worker with bleached-blonde hair, and where they could continue to dismiss the WWWF/WWF (at one point the Apter mags refused to recognize the WWF champ as a "World" champ).

The documentary was a bone Vince threw to Verne, is basically what I'm saying here. :v:

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Grandpa Pap posted:

The documentary was a bone Vince threw to Verne, is basically what I'm saying here. :v:

But but but Verne had to disconnect from the NWA because Thesz was scared of him, and it was Greg's idea to get Hogan to come in and become trained to be Hulk by Verne, even though Hogan wasn't good enough to be champion, but good enough to take parts of his Japan and merch money (w/ a grain of salt since Hogan said it), and Verne created PPV and wrestling TV and every star ever, and he was the greatest wrestler of ALL TIME! :qq:

/AWA Documentary

Also, it's weird watching the WWE's WCCW documentary and hearing Kevin defend Fritz a lot even though he seems disappointed in him, and reading about the non WWE doc where he talks about Fritz threatening him with a gun etc. But then again that was probably made around when the Von Erich's were being inducted so they kept it less depressing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Saints Crow posted:

Also, it's weird watching the WWE's WCCW documentary and hearing Kevin defend Fritz a lot even though he seems disappointed in him, and reading about the non WWE doc where he talks about Fritz threatening him with a gun etc. But then again that was probably made around when the Von Erich's were being inducted so they kept it less depressing.

We also shouldn't discount the strong psychological grip Fritz had over all his boys, which likely still persists with Kevin even to this day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Saints Crow posted:

Hell, she was the only 1 of the 3 mentioned girls in the gently caress, Marry, Kill segment of Perry Saturn's shoot that he wouldn't kill. (The other 2 were Lita and Missy Hyatt).

Also, question:

Verne was really important. He was one of the earliest national tv stars. The AWA was a huge territory and he was the top star. He may have owned it, but he was a big money maker on top.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
AWA was a big deal in its busy areas like Minnesota and Winnipeg. It was a multi territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!
Yeah, on reflection and after a bit of research (beyond my memories and perceptions growing up, and never being able to watch AWA on TV as a kid), I realize I was a bit hasty in my rush to be humorous/sarky in my original reply, for which I apologize.

I'll concede that Verne was a star (in his day) and the AWA was a big deal (in its' day, and in its' regular territories). Verne was just a guy that couldn't change with the times when the WWF became popular and people wanted a different style of wrestling, but that could be said of a lot of people in wrestling then and now.

As penance, I'll force myself to finish watching that Verne/Giant Baba match I started watching one night a while back but just couldn't get into. :sweatdrop: