Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so I had a drive that (might be) dead on my freenas ZFS system.

I have 2 vdevs, 1 with some hitachi drives, the other with WD EARS advanced format drives that I had to make with the .nop option.

The drive that took a dive was a .nop on the second vdev. Does ZFS freak out and/or corrupt the poo poo out of my data if I try to do a replace with anything but the same kind of advanced format drive? I was hoping to move away from the WD EARS drives in favor of other things, so I don't want to buy a new 2TB EARS (or EARX perhaps) if I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Currently I've got: Core i5, RocketRaid rr2680, Ubuntu 11.04, 8x 2TB disks in RAID6 with mdadm.

Only, I've hit a couple of limits:
* No more space
* No more ports on the card
* Can't upgrade Ubuntu because I can't seem to get the rr2680 driver to install on new kernels >2.6.

So, I'm thinking of buying another disk or two, but need something to plug them into. Can anybody suggest a reasonably low-cost SATA controller thats supported by the linux kernel out of the box? I have no need for hardware RAID, just 10+ SATA ports.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
http://edwardbetts.com/price_per_tb/internal_hdd/

drat $23.38 per TB price at the top got me excited for a sec :( (20 pack)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a Drobo-like solution for throwing a bunch of drives togather and getting Drobo like no thought needed results, where unmatched drives can be used?

(I had bad luck with an actual Drobo, and would like to spend less.)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fletcher posted:

http://edwardbetts.com/price_per_tb/internal_hdd/

drat $23.38 per TB price at the top got me excited for a sec :( (20 pack)
40TB for a grand is still pretty great. Out of stock anyway.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

kapalama posted:

Is there a Drobo-like solution for throwing a bunch of drives togather and getting Drobo like no thought needed results, where unmatched drives can be used?

(I had bad luck with an actual Drobo, and would like to spend less.)

Depending on your drive size (2 TB or less), you could try the DNS-343 in JBOD. If you do, make sure you use jumbo frames or it'll be pretty slow.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Per this thread, I'm buying a new UPS, a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS 1500VA / 900W PFC compatible Pure sine wave. Both my desktop (Windows 7 Pro x64) and my N40L (FreeNAS 8.0.4) will be on it. The UPS only has 1 outgoing USB port for alerting devices about power loss so that they can shut down. I'll be connecting this to my desktop. However, I need a way to alert the N40L that it needs to shut down. Do any of you guys have this same kind of situation? What's the best way to do this?

[edit]
The UPS actually has both a serial port and a USB port. Would it be possible to buy a serial to USB cable like this and connect that to the NAS?

[edit2]
According to their FAQ:

quote:

How do I connect my CPS425SL if my PC does not have a serial port?
CyberPower makes a serial-to-usb cable that allows users to connect their UPS to a USB port on a PC. Please contact Technical Support to obtain this cable.

So that just might work!

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 5, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Just FYI the 1500 is way overkill for a desktop and a N40L.

I've got the 1350 version of that model and I only get about 65-75% load with all of the following hooked up:
*A fairly thirsty gaming desktop with a 24" monitor
*N40L with 5 5k RPM drives and 8GB Ram
*HP ProLiant DL160 G5 with dual quad core Xeons, 8x2GB dimms, 2 15k RPM and 2 7.2k RPM drives

Without the ProLiant I don't think I ever break 50% load.

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 5, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Galler posted:

Just FYI the 1500 is way overkill for a desktop and a N40L.

I've got the 1350 version of that model and I only get about 65-75% load with all of the following hooked up:
*A fairly thirsty desktop
*N40L with 5 5k RPM drives and 8GB Ram
*HP ProLiant DL160 G5 with dual quad core Xeons, 8x2GB dimms, 2 15k RPM and 2 7.2k RPM drives

Without the ProLiant I don't think I ever break 50% load.

Well, it's a gaming desktop, and I also run 2 24" monitors and an 8-port switch on it. I'm sure it'll be overkill, but that's fine. It'll give me a little extra peace of mind for upgrades.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Mine is a gaming desktop as well and I forgot about my 24" monitor and switch. A bigger UPS isn't a problem it's just a bit of a waste of money.

That model is pretty excellent though.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Here's my situation:

I have a HTPC/NAS that has 4 3TB drives in RAID-5 (plus a system drive), running Windows 7 and using the motherboard's onboard RAID. Due to the size of the case, this is super cramped inside, and one of the drives is actually in an external HDD enclosure sitting on top but still connected to the motherboard via SATA power and data cables. Functional, but not ideal, especially from a heat perspective. Even worse, I'm within shooting distance of low on space, and I clearly can't fit another drive in this setup.

I also have a desktop I haven't upgraded in forever in this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-11-129-066-_-Homepage that I use for everyday work/browsing. Its hardware is nothing special, but fully functional for everyday use since I do my minimal gaming on the HTPC.

My question is, what are people's opinions on the best path forward? I see the following options:
1) Buy a N40L and have yet another system, but one that can theoretically be its own HTPC in another room once that's needed (it's not right now, as I'm living in a studio apartment). That gives one more HDD space once I sacrifice the CD drive, but costs $350+ for the N40L, $40 for 8GB RAM, $20 for a single-bay swap rack for the fifth HDD, and $40 for a low profile graphics card so it can serve as a second HTPC. That's $450+, and can't expand again in however long it takes me to fill another 3TB (years, probably, but it will eventually happen - I do a lot of video work and I'm paranoid about backups).

2) Move the hard drives from the HTPC/NAS to the desktop, turning that case into a dedicated NAS with whatever hardware adjustments that requires, and buy new equipment to upgrade to a simple new desktop. What does this require, by the way? RAID cards seem super expensive, as do motherboards that would support RAID for 5+ drives onboard. Cost is a new case/motherboard/CPU/RAM for the new desktop, assuming the current hardware in there would mostly suffice for the NAS, plus whatever else is needed like a RAID controller card.

3) Basically option 2, except I continue to run the desktop as-is in Windows 7, and just create a software RAID for those drives plus the new one I add in. However, this means no RAID 5 (and certainly no RAID Z) since there's no native software support for those in Windows. No additional costs per se, but I'd have to rely on some sort of third-party software RAID. There was something like that I tried a year or two ago, but it was pretty new and buggy and I wasn't a huge fan then. Maybe there are good options now, though.

Any thoughts? I'd like to economize electricity, noise, and especially money, but I'm willing to invest some time/money if it makes for a better overall setup.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I'm managing an academic lab that has started to generate large amounts of data. I have this idea that I can get a NAS to store these multi-GB experiment results on, have people easily place data onto, and have the NAS be running something like Crashplan so that everything automatically gets back up offsite. I have a couple questions about this. I know I could do this with something like Openfiler or some other roll-my-own NAS on linux, but I may not be here forever and I don't want to have to support my creation after I leave. I can expect that they will always have someone rather computer-inclined as they are becoming rather bioinformatics-heavy.

Is this a reasonable goal?

Are there any devices with a native implementation of an unlimited storage off-site (think Crashplan+, Backblaze) that can be managed using the device management itself?

I've seen a number of guides detailing how to set up Crashplan on Intel and Marvell-based Synology NAS systems, but it is fairly involved and looks like it has broken when Crashplan updated. Is there a better option, backup provider/NAS-wise?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
So thanks to SA Mart I have a few hard-drives, 4x 1TB (1 in use in my main PC) and 1 2TB drive I purchased a while ago to replace my nearly full 1TB but :effort:.

Is ZFS and Z-Raid supported on many full Linux OSs? Would I hate life if I went with a software RAID 5 array instead?

I have a couple really old (one from '98) PCI BT848 based TV tuner cards, so long as these can record a picture that is not grainy as poo poo I want to attempt to set these up to record analog cable in my NAS/media recorder/torrent box. Can I do this with FreeNAS, or will I need a more complete Linux(or BSD) based OS? The motherboard I want to use for this is an MSI K9A Platinum with 4GB DDR2 and a dual core Athlon. This board is kinda limited because it only has 4 SATA ports, so I cant use a separate hard-drive for the OS. If I go with FreeNAS I am pretty sure this means I will have to spend $5 on a 4GB USB flash drive. But if FreeNAS cant record TV, can I cram Linux onto an 8 or 16GB flash drive (less than $10) or should I buy a $12 off-brand SATA1 PCI card? I like the SATA card for more speed(?) I like the USB because if the OS dies I can replace it without opening the case, easy to make a backup copy, etc.

I see that the FreeNAS guide recommends 8GB RAM for ZFS - just how necessary is this? I only intend to stream recorded TV to one or two PCs. I can put 8GB in my NAS if necessary, but that would mean cannibalizing a couple other PCs and leaving them with only 2GB.

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I'm managing an academic lab that has started to generate large amounts of data. I have this idea that I can get a NAS to store these multi-GB experiment results on, have people easily place data onto, and have the NAS be running something like Crashplan so that everything automatically gets back up offsite. I have a couple questions about this. I know I could do this with something like Openfiler or some other roll-my-own NAS on linux, but I may not be here forever and I don't want to have to support my creation after I leave. I can expect that they will always have someone rather computer-inclined as they are becoming rather bioinformatics-heavy.

Is this a reasonable goal?

Are there any devices with a native implementation of an unlimited storage off-site (think Crashplan+, Backblaze) that can be managed using the device management itself?

I've seen a number of guides detailing how to set up Crashplan on Intel and Marvell-based Synology NAS systems, but it is fairly involved and looks like it has broken when Crashplan updated. Is there a better option, backup provider/NAS-wise?

I don't know if there are better options, but I tried using various guides for installing Crashplan on a Diskstation without being successful until I found this guy. He built a Synology Crashplan package that works very well and can be updated within the DSM web interface just like the other Synology packages. I manage Crashplan with this method but I'm pretty sure you can still do it via command line too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Colonel Sanders posted:

So thanks to SA Mart I have a few hard-drives, 4x 1TB (1 in use in my main PC) and 1 2TB drive I purchased a while ago to replace my nearly full 1TB but :effort:.

Is ZFS and Z-Raid supported on many full Linux OSs? Would I hate life if I went with a software RAID 5 array instead?

As far as I know, ZFS is FreeBSD territory these days, or possibly OpenSolaris? It's incompatible with the GPL so there are hurdles to clear before they put out a real Linux port. I have casually looked into installing the Debian distro with freebsd kernel to utilize it, but for now just run 3x1T drives in a simple mdadm RAID5 array with LVM on top for partition management, which you honestly don't even really need. I'm just storing TV shows and such on it and the performance is just fine.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

As far as I know, ZFS is FreeBSD territory these days, or possibly OpenSolaris? It's incompatible with the GPL so there are hurdles to clear before they put out a real Linux port. I have casually looked into installing the Debian distro with freebsd kernel to utilize it, but for now just run 3x1T drives in a simple mdadm RAID5 array with LVM on top for partition management, which you honestly don't even really need. I'm just storing TV shows and such on it and the performance is just fine.

I have had luck with Ubuntu and zfs on linux. You just add the ppa and aptitude install what you need. It does it through a "portability layer" which is just them putting compatibility for Solaris APIs in the kernel. This taints the kernel from a licensing perspective, so don't expect this to be distributed ever. I seemed to be able to get decent performance especially in comparison to ZFS over Fuse. I would still probably go with FreeBSD or more likely a Nexenta/Illumos/OpenSolaris type.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

I have had luck with Ubuntu and zfs on linux. You just add the ppa and aptitude install what you need. It does it through a "portability layer" which is just them putting compatibility for Solaris APIs in the kernel. This taints the kernel from a licensing perspective, so don't expect this to be distributed ever. I seemed to be able to get decent performance especially in comparison to ZFS over Fuse. I would still probably go with FreeBSD or more likely a Nexenta/Illumos/OpenSolaris type.

Another +1 for ZFS on Linux here. I set it up a couple of months ago on my N40L as I'm only really familiar with Ubuntu. It's been flawless since day 1, can pretty much max out my gigabit network. Definitely a huge improvement over the Fuse version that I briefly tested.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Froist posted:

Another +1 for ZFS on Linux here. I set it up a couple of months ago on my N40L as I'm only really familiar with Ubuntu. It's been flawless since day 1, can pretty much max out my gigabit network. Definitely a huge improvement over the Fuse version that I briefly tested.

So does that ZFS work by just taking advantage of all the storage space you got, and dynamically resizing and all that as you add random new drives?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kapalama posted:

So does that ZFS work by just taking advantage of all the storage space you got, and dynamically resizing and all that as you add random new drives?

No, it's not as clever as Drobo/BeyondRaid. I threw 4x2TB drives in it giving me 6tb with redundancy - given the form factor of the machine I can't expand the storage beyond that.

In general a zpool (which is what the OS writes to) is made up of one or more vdevs, which in turn is made up from multiple physical disks. You can't change a vdev once it's created, but you can add more vdevs to a zpool to expand its capacity. So if you start with 3x1tb (giving 2tb with redundancy) you could later add another 3x2tb to take the zpool's total up to 6tb of usable space (original 2tb + new 4tb).

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005

kapalama posted:

I'm not so familiar with which options are provided in which version. I believe it is compatible up to version 28 zpools. I did have issues running some of the default software for monitoring ARC, but that may have been my own silliness.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Arob1000 posted:

I don't know if there are better options, but I tried using various guides for installing Crashplan on a Diskstation without being successful until I found this guy. He built a Synology Crashplan package that works very well and can be updated within the DSM web interface just like the other Synology packages. I manage Crashplan with this method but I'm pretty sure you can still do it via command line too.

Yeah I think I've decided on the Synology + Crashplan route on a DS411+ II, unless there is a better Intel Synology option.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Yeah I think I've decided on the Synology + Crashplan route on a DS411+ II, unless there is a better Intel Synology option.

Just make sure you have the ram and modify the JAVA_MAX_HEAP or it will freeze. Out of the box pushing it to 1GB seemed to make it stable for me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

kapalama posted:

As Froist noted, ZFS isn't as clever as Drobo with adding drives. In fact, it's a giant pain in the dick if you want to add drives, because you cannot add them one-by-one in any sort of easy, sensible manner. And, because parity is dealt with at the vdev level, if you create several smaller vdevs because you don't feel like buying a dozen drives all at the same time, you end up losing more space to parity than if you just had one big vdev. It's an obnoxious problem and probably one of the only reasons not to use ZFS.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

So has anyone shelled out for the 8 bay Drobo then?

I had a four bay, and had lots of problems with it, and fourbays mean it is actually pretty expensive to add capacity since you have to do it by twos...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

And, because parity is dealt with at the vdev level, if you create several smaller vdevs because you don't feel like buying a dozen drives all at the same time, you end up losing more space to parity than if you just had one big vdev.
You have the same parity whether you're doing 9 drives in raidz3 or 3x3 drives in raidz1 - and it isn't recommended to have vdevs with more than 9 drives, because of the time it'd take to resilver the vdev if a drive were to crash.
Another option for pool expansion is to replace drives over a period of time (which is why this method is useful if you can put a bit of money away each month to buy new drives regularily) until all drives in the pool have been replaced with bigger drives and then let the pool auto-grow (a feature of newer versions of zfs than v15, in v15 you have to export, replace then import and resilver for each drive).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 9, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kapalama posted:

So has anyone shelled out for the 8 bay Drobo then?
Are you trying to get a rise outta someone in particular?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Viktor posted:

Just make sure you have the ram and modify the JAVA_MAX_HEAP or it will freeze. Out of the box pushing it to 1GB seemed to make it stable for me.

That model actually comes with 1GB. Would 2 be significantly better or more stable?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

D. Ebdrup posted:

Another option for pool expansion is to replace drives over a period of time (which is why this method is useful if you can put a bit of money away each month to buy new drives regularily) until all drives in the pool have been replaced with bigger drives and then let the pool auto-grow (a feature of newer versions of zfs than v15, in v15 you have to export, replace then import and resilver for each drive).

That's not exactly what the autoexpand feature does:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/githb/index.html

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 9, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I know, I just couldn't remember the name of the feature and I'm running v15 where it isn't available.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

D. Ebdrup posted:

I know, I just couldn't remember the name of the feature and I'm running v15 where it isn't available.

Er, I meant to say "not exactly."

Previously I think all that was required was exporting and importing the pool once all the drives are replaced. I guess afterwards they stored the size as a property rather than just summing up all the drives on import.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Are you trying to get a rise outta someone in particular?

??

I am trying to find out if someone got an 8Bay Drobo, and whether they think it was worth it.

I had problems with 4 bay drobo (that may have all been from the house I was living in having terribly dirty power, as it turns out. I killed more drive in a year and a half (5-10) than I have in the rest of my life).

But even without problems it was hard to extend the size of the array because unless you replaced two drives at a time the pool did not increase. (and you were not replacing my drives, I was, and that got expensive.)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 10, 2012

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I've been out of the loop lately, but it is getting to the point where I'm going to need to do *something* with my (mostly media) fileserver at home in the next few months.

Right now it is running two 4 drive software RAID 5 arrays under Server 2008 R2, but I'm getting awful tired of having to buy hard drives in bundles of 4 matched sizes instead of just getting what is cheap when I need the extra space.

Looking at what is coming up in the near future, what is the skinny on Windows 8/Server 2012 Storage Spaces? My Google-Fu seems to be failing me... Is it looking like it might be a viable option if performance is a non-issue or should I be looking at something like unRAID or Drive Bender? I'd prefer to stick with Windows, but if it makes sense I'm willing to move to something *nix based.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kapalama posted:

??

I am trying to find out if someone got an 8Bay Drobo, and whether they think it was worth it.
It's more than a grand, and Drobo doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for performance. For that kind of money you could build something a lot better.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

It's more than a grand, and Drobo doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for performance. For that kind of money you could build something a lot better.

Performance in the sense of speed, right?
What I am doing now, software RAID of externals on Mac OS X is slow as a pig anyway.

Not having to think about extending it would be worth it, but not more than a grand(!). I guess I should have checked the price.

On the other hand, being able to not have to buy sets might still make it worth it.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kapalama posted:

Performance in the sense of speed, right?
What I am doing now, software RAID of externals on Mac OS X is slow as a pig anyway.

Not having to think about extending it would be worth it, but not more than a grand(!). I guess I should have checked the price.

On the other hand, being able to not have to buy sets might still make it worth it.

I've no experience with the 8-bay Drobo, but did have a 4-bay for a while. It was horrifically slow (to the point of destroying my media center experience, when it had to refresh the DVD covers for all my shows and took minutes to do so) and at one point corrupted the filesystem nearly losing all the data on it. The ease-of-use with the Drobo is cool, but the whole point of the device is data security and after my experience I couldn't trust it again. Plus the fact it's proprietary, so if the Drobo itself dies there's no way to read the data except with another Drobo.

As far as buying pairs of drives, I'm talking off the top of my head here but I can't see how 8 bay vs 4 would make a difference there? Unless you only half-fill it to begin with and slot new individual drives into the empty bays.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Froist posted:

at one point corrupted the filesystem nearly losing all the data on it. The ease-of-use with the Drobo is cool, but the whole point of the device is data security and after my experience I couldn't trust it again. Plus the fact it's proprietary, so if the Drobo itself dies there's no way to read the data except with another Drobo.

As far as buying pairs of drives, I'm talking off the top of my head here but I can't see how 8 bay vs 4 would make a difference there? Unless you only half-fill it to begin with and slot new individual drives into the empty bays.

Yikes so my bad experience with it data secutiry wise was not unique to my bad power house.

How long ago did you own it?

Right now, I have two sets of 1.5TB external software RAID-0 setups, which is of course not at all secure. One set back up the other set, but still.

If I got the 8 bay drobo, I could put one set into the unit and then add the others in as well. (Of course if it is not secure, then yuck. )

I am not sure if there is a NAS system which would take 8 drives to begin with, and if there is the price starts to climb to near drobo land.

Isn't the big problem with NAS RAID sets that if one drive fails, and you can no longer match the drive, you have to buy another set of 4 or whatever?

(Plus I kind of don't want to have to do setups and learn how to run a system just to access drives.)

D0N0VAN
Aug 19, 2004

Froist posted:

The ease-of-use with the Drobo is cool, but the whole point of the device is data security and after my experience I couldn't trust it again. Plus the fact it's proprietary, so if the Drobo itself dies there's no way to read the data except with another Drobo.

This scares me... I have had a 4 bay drobo for about a year and a bit now, it has worked flawlessly (although a little slow) but I always worry that one day it could just fizzle and destroy all my data.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

kapalama posted:

How long ago did you own it?

I am not sure if there is a NAS system which would take 8 drives to begin with, and if there is the price starts to climb to near drobo land.

Isn't the big problem with NAS RAID sets that if one drive fails, and you can no longer match the drive, you have to buy another set of 4 or whatever?

(Plus I kind of don't want to have to do setups and learn how to run a system just to access drives.)
I had it for less than a year before selling it again on eBay and going back to manually mirrored backups onto external drives. Far more primitive but it felt safer to me, albeit without up-to-the-minute backups.

I've no idea about NAS systems, but it'd be easy to find a tower case that could take 8 disks and roll your own. I know ZFS doesn't need identical replacement drives, not sure about software RAID, but I had heard similar about some hardware RAID setups.

Depending on your technical level you could look into building your own system to do it - it's likely easier than you think. I set mine up with very little previous linux experience (none with ZFS) after about a week's reading up, and as mentioned earlier it's been running perfectly for a couple of months.

D0N0VAN posted:

This scares me... I have had a 4 bay drobo for about a year and a bit now, it has worked flawlessly (although a little slow) but I always worry that one day it could just fizzle and destroy all my data.

I didn't want to scare anyone because it was likely very much a fringe case, but from that point it was a no-go for me personally. I'd been using HFS+ as the filesystem (rather than the probably more common NTFS) and had switched a few times between using it with the DroboShare and directly connecting to my Mac over USB. One day neither of them would read the filesystem any more - the only way I got the data off it was a last-ditch attempt of using MacDrive on a Windows PC to read it.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
I tried storage spaces when the windows 8 and server 8 consumer preview 1 were out but have not in the new iterations. It was still a bit buggy and slow write (15-30MB/s) with parity on and mis matched drives. Read was fine though. If they fix the bugs that existed I could see it being a great alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Onion
Aug 9, 2005
Ban Spider Scares me:(
Anyone have any more thoughts about going with UnRaid as a psuedo-raid solution? I currently have 3x500gb drives, and I am about to pick up 2x 2tb drives. I want a solution that is expandable, and doesn't require much upkeep. I don't really care about write speeds, But I do care about reasonable read speeds (Media center style reads). I'm looking at FreeNas also, but it seems like a lot of work, and doesn't play well with unmatched drives. I also want the ability to be able to take the drives and recover the data in a different computer if needed, in the case of array failures. Any thoughts?

The Onion fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 10, 2012