Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hast Du Eier?

quote:

One year ago in Germany, a young woman (my wife) was baking cookies and realized she was short one very important ingredient: eggs. Off she went to the convenience store located across the street - a very busy street, two lanes each way with a bike lane, to boot.

Her German being at a novice level, she asked the cashier at the store if he had any eggs, "Hast du Eier?" - which, to those who know German, actually means "Do you have any cojones?" (Cojones is, to those who know Spanish, testicles). And thus was born the inspiration for the Frogger-esque, street-hopping, car-dodging game, Hast du Eier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

kazmeyer posted:

Just an update on this one; they're at $600,000, and if they reach $700,000 (five days left) he's promising to do a Car Wars kickstarter as well.

I am shocked how quickly this is building. Up to $630k!

I went for $150 level because it gives a copy of the game and an utter ton of other stuff. This will be a blast, I can't wait to start playing.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

kazmeyer posted:

if they reach $700,000 (five days left) he's promising to do a Car Wars kickstarter as well.

I've seen this discussed all over, but this is a huge joke. They're going to do a Car Wars Kickstarter whether they get to $700k or not, so taking money for it seems awfully disingenuous (especially since, if you think about it, you're just giving SJG money for the privilege of being able to give them more money later).

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I'm willing to cut them a little slack on the Car Wars thing. First of all, it's what everyone (myself included) has been demanding, and at the same time they keep burning through stretch goals and have to keep coming up with new ones. They're apparently pushing the physical limits of that enormous box, so they can't really add anything else, and apparently the backers whine prodigiously when there's not something new and amazing to strive for. So they just took the easy road and gave people what they were clamoring for.

Also, Car Wars as a property is nowhere near as ready to go as Ogre was. For the Ogre kickstarter, they'd already planned on the re-release and prototyped the game. Car Wars has been a toxic property since the Fifth Edition (everyone hated that game, and not without reason), and I think the idea of revisiting it was about as far from everyone's mind as you can get. They've got a lot of work to do to even start working on Car Wars, and the extra dough from piggybacking on the Ogre kickstarter will help.

So yeah, I can understand why people might look askance at how they're doing this, but SJG has been really good with the incentives so far, their timetables are relatively short, and I don't think people are going to end up disappointed in the end product like some of these projects have turned out.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

InShaneee posted:

I've seen this discussed all over, but this is a huge joke. They're going to do a Car Wars Kickstarter whether they get to $700k or not, so taking money for it seems awfully disingenuous (especially since, if you think about it, you're just giving SJG money for the privilege of being able to give them more money later).

:cripes:

Kickstarter is a donation site. You donate money to ideas and causes, you don't prepurchase a product. The site acting like it exists as a means of preordering products is apparently ruining the attitude towards projects on the site.

"Pfft why would I want to donate, I don't even get a t-shirt"

The OGRE kickstarter and the Pebble kickstarter are by and far excellent because they keep piling more and more features in, but if they do anything but cram a new feature into the product at a donation level, people are flipping out. It's basically gravy that they decide to add these extras at donation levels, and they're added as an incentive for more donations. It's not your right to get more counters in OGRE if people donate more.

Adult Sword Owner has a new favorite as of 16:09 on May 8, 2012

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Saint Darwin posted:

Kickstarter is a donation site. You donate money to ideas and causes, you don't prepurchase a product. The site acting like it exists as a means of preordering products is apparently ruining the attitude towards projects on the site.

"Pfft why would I want to donate, I don't even get a t-shirt"

The OGRE kickstarter and the Pebble kickstarter are by and far excellent because they keep piling more and more features in, but if they do anything but cram a new feature into the product at a donation level, people are flipping out. It's basically gravy that they decide to add these extras at donation levels, and they're added as an incentive for more donations. It's not your right to get more counters in OGRE if people donate more.

It's not about whatever crap gifts that come with the project you're donating to, it's the fact that he set an incentive (for which people will give him money) based on him starting up a new project (for which people will give him more money).

You're fundraising so he can start another fundraiser :psyduck: If people want to donate, then they should donate, even if there's not an arbitrary "cap" to reach, but don't pretend that 100k will make or break your next plea for money on Kickstarter. That's disingenuous.

Anyways, so this isn't totally derailing, here's a goon run Kickstarter: Manos: The Restoration. It's a really cool project that started in Cinema Discusso if I'm not mistaken (or maybe it was The Film Dump?). Anyways, this guy found a bunch of old reel-to-reel film canisters and stumbled across a print of Manos, and now he's campaigning to get it released on Blu Ray.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

What Declan said. I would gladly donate for no reward to support a project that I appreciate (and have in the past). Getting together enough money to remake Car Wars is a project I can get behind. Getting together enough money to start a Car Wars kickstarter to get together enough money to remake Car Wars...is not.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Saint Darwin posted:

Hm, $35 for it. Maybe. That's an awful lot for a card game.

Do you think you could bother your older brother and tell him that it looks like there's enough room to spell out the words? Those abbreviations hurt my head.

What kinda card games have you been playing?

35 puts it at or below the price of card games like Dominion, Ascension, Thunderstone or Eminent Domain.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I can't believe how much the Pebble watch has banked. Seems likely that they'll pass 10-11 million dollars before the end of the drive. Simply unreal.

Also c'mon September. :ohdear:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Didn't see any mention of this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibdknox/light-table?ref=city

It's an IDE that allows you to run programs in real time and watch how it flows and executes functions. It's difficult to explain, watch the video. It looks like it'll happen too.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

^ That's really cool-looking. Thanks for posting it.

sirbeefalot posted:

I can't believe how much the Pebble watch has banked. Seems likely that they'll pass 10-11 million dollars before the end of the drive. Simply unreal.

Also c'mon September. :ohdear:

As a note, yesterday they posted an update where they are changing all rewards to "Sold Out" when they hit 85,000 Pebbles claimed. They were at 75,000 at the time.

FebrezeNinja has a new favorite as of 12:42 on May 9, 2012

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

chumpchous posted:

Didn't see any mention of this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibdknox/light-table?ref=city

It's an IDE that allows you to run programs in real time and watch how it flows and executes functions. It's difficult to explain, watch the video. It looks like it'll happen too.

I keep thinking about it, because I love the look and functionality, but it doesn't support any language I could possibly use, and I avoid JS like it's AIDS.

I know it will support plugins, but I'd really rather have that functionality from the start.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

FebrezeNinja posted:

^ That's really cool-looking. Thanks for posting it.

As a note, yesterday they posted an update where they are changing all rewards to "Sold Out" when they hit 85,000 Pebbles claimed. They were at 75,000 at the time.

I ordered mine when it was near $300k so I'm extremely relieved they stopping at 85,000 because I'm pretty sure with orders of this magnitude that there will be tons of delays. That said, I can't wait.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Pebble have hit the $10m mark, not many left as rewards. Glad I bit the bullet and pledged this morning.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ogre is winding down! Get in now if you want to be a part of it! Very close to $750k

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition?ref=live

$738,582

25 hours to go

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
New Pictures For Sad Children book

John Campbell is one of my favourite artists, so I'm glad this is getting some backing already.

If nothing else it'd be nice if he had time to make more videos.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

joedevola posted:

New Pictures For Sad Children book

John Campbell is one of my favourite artists, so I'm glad this is getting some backing already.

If nothing else it'd be nice if he had time to make more videos.

I was super excited when I saw this. I love john campbell's work. His higher reward tiers are awesome, too bad they are all taken already.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
True KS underdog Legend of Eisenwald just crossed the finish line with about a week to go

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald?ref=live

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
How remiss of me not to post last year's successful Detroit Needs A Statue of Robocop! Kickstarter.

Their recent latest update March 2012 update says that the small Robocop sculpture has been sent for 3D scanning, resizing and fabrication so he's sloooowly on his way!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:38 on May 14, 2012

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
Who doesn't love Rubik's cube mosaics? I really hope he gets funded.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
MaKey MaKey: An Invention Kit for Everyone

quote:

What's MaKey MaKey?

MaKey MaKey is an invention kit for the 21st century. Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet. It's a simple Invention Kit for Beginners and Experts doing art, engineering, and everything inbetween:

It comes ready to use out of the box with everything you see above: MaKey MaKey, Alligator Clips, USB Cable.

Basically anything that conducts electricty even slightly (and even things that don't if you get them a little wet or whatever) can be used in place of a keyboard or mouse to control programs or webpages, so you can make a banana piano:

Or you can use a plain graphite pencil to draw a usable keyboard:

The product is fully fleshed out, they're just asking for donations so they can do a large first production run which will bring the retail price down. Looks like they made their pledge goal in two days. :)

It's cool projects like this that make Kickstarter awesome.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Holy poo poo Tex Murphy! :supaburn:

I did not give a crap about Kickstarter until I heard about this project in late March. Thanks to the copyright being held by Microsoft for a long time, fans have been waiting for this game 14 years. It ended on a cliffhanger and it's about frigging time it was resolved. This game needs to be made.

It's being made by the same guys who made the old Tex games, and they are not inexperienced fools and know their poo poo. Chris Jones is the same guy who plays Tex and designs the games. He co-founded Access Software in 1983 and sold it to Microsoft in 1998 or so. He is currently the CEO of a small golf simulator company. Aaron Conners works for EA games.

The games had FMV; probably the best live-action ever in a video game. But I don't think they're "FMV" games, really. They had an excellent 3D engine and an interesting story. But Tex himself is the best. He's what makes the game great. You could really see how much the people who made the game loved doing it. They still do.

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am. :dance: But if Tex dies, I'll be so sad. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Seeing as in about 12 hours they've gotten almost $100k I'd say this is gonna work out well for them.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
For anybody who hasn't gotten in on it yet, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003106610/the-cucumber-quest-book-project
The Cucumber Quest kickstarter is ending in less than a day. Currently $3 from $60k, but there are no more stretch goals to be met.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I saw this on the Pirate Bay homepage and I just had to jump on it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940696606/sullivans-sluggers-baseball-horror-graphic-novel

Sullivan's Sluggers: Baseball Horror Graphic Novel.

Baseball players vs. monsters in a cursed small town.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
A new one just in basically the below picture made as a game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/massiveblack/zombie-playground-zpg-3d-action-online-battle-rpg

http://zombieplaygroundgame.com/

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

While neat, I'm rather annoyed with how they're doing ingame item perks. For a minimum of $100 donated, your character will be better than the characters of people who haven't donated.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Carmageddon: Reincarnation just reached it's target!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation/posts

Every Man Jack
Jan 14, 2010
Pillbug
I thought this one looked pretty amazing.

A 6th grade teacher from Indianapolis has come up with ClassRealm, an RPG/Video Game framework to motivate his classes and is now trying to bring it to teachers everywhere.

Having taught myself, I wish I had this program in my classes. He's tested it out with his classes over the past few months in a more basic format, but he now has a team to create artwork, a better website that helps teachers track student achievements, and allow parents to not only check on their student's progress, but create sidequests to help motivate their kids.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's incredibly silly, but I really love these Cthulu Tiki mugs.

But man, the head guy on that site is so drat goony:

quote:

I am a graphic designer, artist, horror fan, geek, and general creative type. I am a family man (my wife is totally on board with this project), a member of Psi Upsilon Fraternity from Georgia Tech, and an eternal member of DragonCon. Geek? Check.

:negative:

I feel like he doesn't deserve any of my money.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Here's one for the guitar nerds in the audience

The Console II by Devi Ever.
Apparently she makes some nice fuzz/overdrive pedals, with reviews on Youtube.
I like the idea, but I guess it'll really depend on the number and quality of the cartridges to make it really take off.

K. Farb
Aug 6, 2009

I'd give you a ride, but I got Karl Farbman here.
Bitponics: a digitally-enhanced hydroponic growing system

For all of us who lack a green thumb and/or live in an apartment, this seems incredibly cool. It's a hydroponic growing system that monitors nutrient levels, temperature, and light while automating the water pump and lighting timers. You can also look at pre-made profiles for various plants and just let the system run on recommended parameters. The software will also let you upload your growing plan and results, then compare it to other users.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Last Class Heroes
A multiplatform, multimedia videogame about highschoolers training for war with their soul-fuelled marionettes. It looks like a combination between Persona and The World Ends With You and it's clear these guys are putting their all into it.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
In the Traditional Games thread, a goon announced his Kickstarter, which is a pretty awesome table-top roleplaying game. Here's his quote:

Mikan posted:

This seemed a lot more impressive before Dungeon World came around, but my kickstarter Last Stand got up to 1100 in less than two days.
It's an RPG inspired by EDF, Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter. Characters are dudes in biological power armor, they rip off enemy limbs to create new weapons and equipment, combat involves climbing Godzilla and punching him in the face or exploding swarms of giant ants. Mechanically there's a lot of gambling, even to the point of default character creation being a card draft.

It's run by two goons (including me!) and one of our stretch goals involves two other goons getting to write and illustrate a new setting (instead of power armor it involves tattoos inked with the blood of dead gods, and instead of godzilla you fight off things like frost giants and giant world snakes).

Since we're so close to meeting the goal we have a lot of stretch goals. The first is more bio-armor and some premade adventures.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Clang
A bunch of guys in Seattle are trying to create a more realistic version of swordfighting in computer games. I have no idea if it'll be any good but the pitch video (starring scfi writer Neal Stephenson) is pretty hilarious.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clang
A bunch of guys in Seattle are trying to create a more realistic version of swordfighting in computer games. I have no idea if it'll be any good but the pitch video (starring scfi writer Neal Stephenson) is pretty hilarious.

The "blacksmith" in that video working on a crowbar and mentioning that things take a long time to make is my favorite part.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That was probably the best video I've ever seen on Kickstarter, and one of the best videos I've seen in a while out of pretty much anything.

Also, I like their definition of IT much better than the standard one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Clang

Oh man thank God he didn't do the "oh I didn't see you there." Totally looked setup for that too

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Clang looks interested. I pledged.

This was mentioned in the Games Pinball thread, and it already met its goal, but I really want to see it meet its stretch goal:
Pinball Arcade: The Twilight Zone
It's already going to be funded, but if they get double, that'll also cover the Star Trek: The Next Generation table. Six days left to reach $110,000. And I rather get two tables from a pledge than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Special effects master Phil Tippet is making an animated movie and you have 4 more days to give him money (for preorder, he already made his funding target).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgod/phil-tippetts-mad-god?ref=activity

He posted some of his work for the movie.

• Locked thread