Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
Been a while since I've been in this thread. Finished Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures a couple weeks ago. Hoping to get more "official" deco experience this summer and next year will probably make the jump to trimix.

In the meantime, AN/DP gives me plenty of stuff in the 150-160ft range that I can explore in Boston.

On a side note, my deco checkout dives were in Rutlant, Vermont at a quarry called True Blue Quarry. One of the only places in New England where you can actually practice cavern/cave diving.

It's an old marble quarry from 1800s that has some extensive passages and permanent guidelines are installed.

Pretty awesome place to dive with great visibility for quarry diving but the only problem is that it is loving cold. 38-41f degrees at 135ft. I need to get some better drysuit undergarments and maybe invest in dry gloves in the near future if I'm going to be doing any sort of longer runtimes in that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macado
Jun 3, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

I'm all booked in at Big Blue on Koh Tao, advanced open water with deep water and wreck specialties, plus nitrox. Late August 2012!

Finch! posted:

I'll see you there - the first beer is on me. I get there in early August and will stay until February or longer.

It's been about 2007 since I've been in Thailand but I am heading back to SE Asia for 2 weeks in last August and I am hoping to make it back to Koh Tao to do some more diving. Maybe see if you guys are still there if I make it back to Koh Tao.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

macado posted:

Pretty awesome place to dive with great visibility for quarry diving but the only problem is that it is loving cold. 38-41f degrees at 135ft. I need to get some better drysuit undergarments and maybe invest in dry gloves in the near future if I'm going to be doing any sort of longer runtimes in that place.

I never bought scuba specific undergarments, just a bunch of polartec fleece that i've found at army surplus stores/REI sales, etc. I feel the scuba stuff is WAY overpriced for what it is, and you can get stuff in the same material for way cheaper.

I'm a fan of dry gloves for their thermal protection, but man doing any sort of manual labor in them sucks rear end. For recreational/not crazy tech diving in super cold water i'd wear them, but if i had manipulate a lot of things underwater with my hands like clips etc, i'd be wary of them because you lose a LOT of dexterity in them. Granted, with super thick neoprene gloves you do as well, but when i demo'ed some dry gloves, they were really tough to use.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

macado posted:

It's been about 2007 since I've been in Thailand but I am heading back to SE Asia for 2 weeks in last August and I am hoping to make it back to Koh Tao to do some more diving. Maybe see if you guys are still there if I make it back to Koh Tao.

Sounds good. There's another guy (eviljelly) in the South East Asia thread who's planning to be there then, too - he's been there for a while already. Koh Tao goonmeet?

There are a few tech shops there if you want to join in their fun - I can give specific recommendations if you're interested. The guys I dive with do cool stuff like this every so often, but I'm not qualified yet...

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Oh hey this thread

Yeah I'm living on Koh Tao doing my DMT (I had planned on going back to the US and coming back in a few months but that fell through, so I'm staying here indefinitely), although by August I'll probably be DMing around. I just bought all my own equipment - makes a big difference! I'm always down for a drink or six, so definitely give us a holler if any of you come out.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

I just learned a buddy of a buddy is a trainer at Sea World in San Antonio. I learned this after my buddy said he got private tour tickets to play with sea lions tomorrow and had a spare. I jumped all over this, and mentioned that i was a divemaster. He got a text from his trainer buddy saying that it might be possible for me to dive with them, but he needs approval from the head trainer.

I'm still doing the private tour BUT HOLY poo poo if it works out, i may have some awesome photos to share.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

I finally got around to editing another scallop diving video. Still have about 5-6 videos that I want to edit and upload.

Quality of the video from GoPro Hero2 is great but I'm not exactly the best videographer. I might try making a DIY stabilizing arm and going to eventually get a green filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--o0yDx2hWA

lemonsaresour
Feb 17, 2011
I'm completing my confined water dives this weekend for my PADI Open Water diver course. I got my personal gear last night and I'm excited to do a Florida trip sometime this month to do my first open water dive. I really want to wait a while and get comfortable with the basics before I move on in the classes, but I want my Nitrox and maybe my wreck diving cert within two years maybe. I'm so excited! :D

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Free diving has always been interesting to me but I have never tried even a swimming pool lesson :(. Funny because I live in South Florida and my sister's long time boyfriend is this dude. I think the only thing I have ever heard him talk about in literally years would be diving!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 8, 2012

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Kaddish posted:

Isn't it a huge pain in the rear end not having a computer though? I'm just now reading through the class books and it seems like it would be a hassle having to plan dives manually. Even if only diving once a year.
Going without a computer is not the end of the world. I used to plan multi gas decompression dives with my cellphone and a bottom timer (still do, as a backup). A bottom timer is little more than a watch and depth gauge, which leads to the problem... Its tough to find a mechanical depth gauge these days so without a computer of some sort you won't know your depth! Don't most shops rent computers these days? Go that route but try to plan and execute your dives with tables For your first 20 or so dives. This gets you into good habits like checking your depth an time frequently. It will also help you develop a "feel" for what a normal no deco time is. Then once you start using more of the computers features, it is a convenience instead of a crutch.

20Two
Nov 18, 2002
Keep those hands where I can see them...

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

A video of some free diving and spearfishing a few lionfish (a delicious invasive species).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHe1q5so8E

Just found this thread.... Sweet Pursuit fins - I've bought some gear from Dan but haven't pulled the trigger on the carbon fibers yet. I'm still a spearfishing rookie, so the $$ has been better spent on other gear.

I'm heading down to Big Pine Key in about a week - If you have some good spots/coordinates you want to share let me know. Last year we had a great time on Looe Key, but are looking to expand our horizons this year. Like to a place where I can introduce some fish to my speargun...

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Bishop posted:

Don't most shops rent computers these days?

For what it's worth, we did resort diving in the BVI, Curaçao, St. Lucia and just got back from Turks and Caicos. Of those, only Caicos Adventures had a computer as a part of the default rental gear - and we didn't rent from them, so I have no idea what they had for rentals. Looked like the xp10 my wife was using though. Still, every other place had a computer as an add on.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

Bishop posted:

Going without a computer is not the end of the world. I used to plan multi gas decompression dives with my cellphone and a bottom timer (still do, as a backup). A bottom timer is little more than a watch and depth gauge, which leads to the problem... Its tough to find a mechanical depth gauge these days so without a computer of some sort you won't know your depth! Don't most shops rent computers these days? Go that route but try to plan and execute your dives with tables For your first 20 or so dives. This gets you into good habits like checking your depth an time frequently. It will also help you develop a "feel" for what a normal no deco time is. Then once you start using more of the computers features, it is a convenience instead of a crutch.

Once you start running multiple computers and they all agree then you know your good too! Hell even my flooded shearwater still continued to give information on quite a bit. It toasted out at the end of the dive though. Shearwater fixed it too!

Anyway yeah I run multiple computers and calculating deco is a pain but I got general ideas from my tables.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

20Two posted:

Just found this thread.... Sweet Pursuit fins - I've bought some gear from Dan but haven't pulled the trigger on the carbon fibers yet. I'm still a spearfishing rookie, so the $$ has been better spent on other gear.

I'm heading down to Big Pine Key in about a week - If you have some good spots/coordinates you want to share let me know. Last year we had a great time on Looe Key, but are looking to expand our horizons this year. Like to a place where I can introduce some fish to my speargun...

Awesome! Dan's the man. Ive bought most of my gear from him for a while. He sells no nonsense spearfishing gear for the best price he can. Do you live down here in FL or are you coming down for vacation?

The carbon fins are definitely a few bucks, but I wouldnt trade them for the world. Plastic long fins like gara3000's are pretty good as well. But A good pair of fins is probably the #1 most important piece of gear if you ask me. The easier it is to swim, the deeper and longer you dive, the more fish you see.

Im familiar with the big pine area but more so for lobstering and more so the bridges of spanish harbour and bahia honda then anything else. I lobster dive there every year but usually spear further north. I think Ive got some numbers I can pull off my GPS so I will take a look.

A big easy one is the island just southeast of bahia honda park. Ive heard it called "hog island" by some and shot a few nice ones there in shallow waters around the island. The pilings in those bridges I mentioned have some serious grey snapper honeyholes aswell (spanish harbour esp) under some of the really ledgy pilings. But be careful of strong currents and sharks though. You can only dive it at slack tides easily.

If the viz is right drifting and towing in a depth youre comfortable at can pay off hugely. You can find nice patch reefs, coral heads holding big groupers etc by just looking around and keeping your face in the water. How long are you gonna be down there spearfishing?

Heres some video I shot a few weeks ago. Went to elliot key with the family and did some real shallow spearing. Got A nice hog and two nice groupers. They were eaten that night with the hog cooked whole and they tasted absolutely exquisite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzpzhW8Wjms

And some cool footage I shot scouting for dolphin during a fishing tournament under weedlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAzzSRrJES4

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 11, 2012

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
Welp, while in Guam..

After being here a year and absolutely loving the snorkeling, I've decided to get over my 'fear' of deep water and get open water certified (PADI) sometime this summer with my husband and then hopefully do some of the specialty certifications to be able to do enriched air, wrecks and night dives if I can get the nerve.

Has anyone here overcome any kind of fear of water or anything? I haven't always been afraid. I grew up in Florida and have been in the water my whole life but this is something that's come up in the past few years. I love snorkeling and I have no issues going out pretty far into deep water, but the thought of being under the water that deep makes me nervous. I've got a few friends here who are instructors and also divemasters and I trust them immensely and they offered to do a private class for my husband and I. I just don't want to get in the water and freak out.

Also, wetsuits aren't really necessary are they? I'm guessing it's only needed if the water is cold? The water is pretty warm here year round.. 82-86 degrees. Sometimes I see people wearing full suits here during their classes, other times (especially recreational diving around base) you just see people in bathing suits. I don't like the thought of wearing a wetsuit.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I find that lots of people try out diving as a way to gain confidence in water, and for the most part it seems to work. The fins and the air tank really go a long way to making you feel comfortable and capable in the water. 80 degree water doesn't really mandate a wetsuit, but there's a variety of reasons you'll probably want to wear one: You'll be spending more time at depth than you're used to, and the water will be colder after you go under the thermocline. It also protects your skin and increases your natural buoyancy. I'd suggest wearing a 2mm shorty at least. If you're concerned about a suit being uncomfortable or stifling, I can tell you that while they're a bit awkward on land they feel like a seal skin underwater. Still like you said, some people dispense with it all together in tropical areas, so it's not required.

Have fun diving!

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Kaal, I cant assume the water is much warmer in Guam than Hawaii? I could be wrong?

At anyrate I wear a drysuit here I get so cold so its a matter of body physiology too (other factors too like how much of a wuss you are) In that category I am way up there.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Guam is noticeably warmer than Hawaiian water (4-5 degrees F warmer). HI is relatively cooler than many tropical areas due to its geographical position. Still, water transfers heat away from you 20 times as quickly as air; so any water temperature less than 98F will cool you down during prolonged immersion. But that's one of the nice things about a drysuit - you can easily adapt to water temperature by adding or removing the insulating layers you're wearing under it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29220-c54307/Maui:Hawaii:Whats.The.Water.Temperature..html

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Heartless posted:

Welp, while in Guam..

After being here a year and absolutely loving the snorkeling, I've decided to get over my 'fear' of deep water and get open water certified (PADI) sometime this summer with my husband and then hopefully do some of the specialty certifications to be able to do enriched air, wrecks and night dives if I can get the nerve.

Has anyone here overcome any kind of fear of water or anything? I haven't always been afraid. I grew up in Florida and have been in the water my whole life but this is something that's come up in the past few years. I love snorkeling and I have no issues going out pretty far into deep water, but the thought of being under the water that deep makes me nervous. I've got a few friends here who are instructors and also divemasters and I trust them immensely and they offered to do a private class for my husband and I. I just don't want to get in the water and freak out.

Also, wetsuits aren't really necessary are they? I'm guessing it's only needed if the water is cold? The water is pretty warm here year round.. 82-86 degrees. Sometimes I see people wearing full suits here during their classes, other times (especially recreational diving around base) you just see people in bathing suits. I don't like the thought of wearing a wetsuit.

Bear in mind that some of the best things to be seen aren't even deep underwater. Tons of gorgeous diving is done in 30 feet or less. There is a bridge in the West Palm Beach area that only gets to about 15 feet deep and you'll see more fish and aquatic life on that dive than you could even believe. Once you get used to being underwater, the depth fear will probably subside. I've never had that fear so I can't really relate, but comfort is key in any dive.

As for the wetsuit, as mentioned above, you probably don't need a wetsuit in that temp water. The thing about exposure protection is that it varies widely from person to person. I see people regularly in that temp water in 5mm or more full wetsuits with hoods and sometimes chest warmers while the guy next to them is just in board shorts. Personally anything above 80 and I won't wear one. I do however wear a thin dive skin just to guard myself from brushing into anything, mostly for my knees. It doesn't add any warmth, but really saves your knees if you graze anything or plant on the ocean floor for anything like taking photos or lobstering.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Figured I should give some Le Turtle Action

Some Coraline Growths on Mala Wharf

I went to Mala Wharf today and did some playing around. My cells in my rebreather have been playing ball too so thats a good thing I feel less like a dead man walking.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Well, i got to dive at Sea World. Unfortunately, they would not let me take any pictures or have any pictures of me taken in dive gear since i wasn't an employee. I can tell you though what we did.

A friend of a friend is a trainer, and he got us in early before the park opened to meet some sea lions. I fed a few, most notably a big ol 2600 lb walrus named dozer. He's a giant sweetheart. And by giant, i mean holy gently caress this dude is the size of a queen bed but loved to give you kisses. Here's a video of him making noises with a trainer http://youtu.be/G2osM_Gp5WY . (I didn't take the video, but that's the only photos i can find of Dozer because he's not park ready yet) I wasn't exactly going to say no to the dude. Anywho, after meeting/greeting animals in the back, some maintenance divers had to go into the sea lion tank to repair some valve or whatnot, i never got the specifics. There were 18 sea lions and 4 seals in the tank, and it was going to be a 25 minute repair in the enclosure. Since they couldn't take all the animals out, their best bet was to have a bunch of trainers feed the poo poo out of them in a corner away from us so we they didn't notice the divers. It was 2 maintenance divers working, and 4 "security" divers (3 trainers and myself). We only had pvc pipes that looked like a giant T to ward of things and basically say "hey, leave us alone".

The sketchy part was there was no good entrance to the pool outside of where the guests view the tank. Aka, 15 feet above the water, so no matter how much fish there were, they were gonna notice us. We all drop in at once, and IMMEDIATELY get swarmed by sea lions/seals checking us out. Water is low 60's, and we're wearing 3mil suits. The trainers are throwing fish out like crazy trying to get them away from us, but honestly, we kinda got beat up just from the amount of animals pushing and shoving around us. The smallest one is about 150 lbs and they go up to 500 lbs. I had to physically hold my mask/reg because i was getting thrown around so much. After the food hit the water though, they left us alone and we completed the job with no real issues. To leave, they opened a grate to the sea lion show stage, and we exited the water on the main stage which was really cool.

After that, i get to hang out in the "zoo" which is their not in the park animal area. Its where they keep animals who aren't trained, sick, not public ready etc. There i get to hang with trainers, feed sting rays, sharks, fish, dolphins. I learn some behavior commands for the dolphins which was UNREAL. Nothing gets you're blood pumping like telling two 400 lb atlantic bottlenose dolphins to do simultaneous backflips.

This all goes until about noon (so 4 hours roughly), and then i get the rest of the day to spend in the park being a normal guest. What an unfuckingbelievable experience. I'm still shocked of all the things i got to do.

The only picture of this is me giving a sea lion the behavior command to clap. I have a stupid poo poo eating grin on my face because it was awesome.

The picture was the only two thing i was allowed to leave with. Security checked my phone over CSI style to make sure. Apparently PETA is super pissy with sea world and they can't risk any photos of animals in a cage or something out in the open. I will say the animals are incredibly well treated with daily physicals and fantastic trainers.

Trivia Time

Sea World San Antonio is the most profitable of all the sea worlds per capita. Last year it made 1 million dollars in net profit because of how much money they put back into education, conservation, animal care etc.

They have 5-6 killer whales and each one costs roughly 4.5 million dollars a year in upkeep. This includes food, trainer costs, water, maintenance etc.

Sea world gets all their water from the city and makes it salt water themselves. The building that they use to make this is crazy cool.

Yes, they have a giant MRI for animals. Yes, fat people from hospitals use it. I wasn't told how frequently, but was told ,"more than we care to admit".

Dozer, that 2600 lb walrus eats 250 lbs of fish, clams (deshelled),squid a day. His shits remind me of the triceratops scene in Jurassic Park, though in the water.

Oriental small clawed otters are mean as poo poo. They are super adorable until they think you have food and tear your arm a new one. Trust me on this

Sea World San Antonio had live coral growing in 3 small tanks in its aquarium. They currently only have 2. Coincidentally, they don't have any lionfish anymore.

Due to a federal judges ruling, trainers are not allowed to get in the water with killer whales anymore. This means during training or shows. No more trainer tows/jumps.

One of the dolphins in Jaws 3 who helps at the end is at Sea World. His name is Kai, weighs 900 lbs and can hold 7 fish in his mouth at once. (He wouldn't close his mouth, so i kept feeding him fish and got to 7). He is very much the alpha.

I'm sure i left a whole bunch of poo poo out, but it was an incredible experience.

Crunkjuice fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 11, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

loving jeeeeeaaaaalouuussssssssssss

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Kaal posted:

loving jeeeeeaaaaalouuussssssssssss

Yeah I mean holy poo poo that is cool.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Crunk you bastard... That is totally awesome!

Getting mobbed by sea lions and seals is just epic. I would have butt smuggled out video and photos!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Goddamn, that would have been pretty boss. I've heard about diving at aquariums, but it's usually super expensive and I imagine not that great considering liabilities and all.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trivia posted:

Goddamn, that would have been pretty boss. I've heard about diving at aquariums, but it's usually super expensive and I imagine not that great considering liabilities and all.

Check out if they have any volunteer programs. The one nearest my town does, and it would let me do a bunch of cool dives while also helping out the community. Sadly nearest still means an hour away, and I'd still have to rent equipment to do it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Trivia posted:

I'm diving the aquarium at Epcot in August which is I think the world's second largest. It was the largest at one point, but I'm pretty sure someone built a bigger one. It is definitely pricey, but if you book an entire tour of 12, you basically get it for half price and then it becomes near the cost of a normal boat dive. I booked a tour for the dive club I'm part of so it was pretty reasonable. Their policies are fairly similar to the sea world ones so I won't get to take any photos, which is what I'd love to do. You can however have someone take photos of you from the outside of the aquarium so I plan to have my girlfriend with me to take a few.

20Two
Nov 18, 2002
Keep those hands where I can see them...

I'm local - live in Ft Lauderdale pretty close to where Dan sells his gear. Leaving for Big Pine Key on Saturday. We went there last year and took the kids snorkeling on Looe Key - it's pretty amazing there. Just tie up on the buoy, put your face in the water and it's like a nature show. Thousands and thousand of yellowtail all around you, tarpon under you, beautiful coral, a couple sharks going by - all in about 25 feet of water..

and then this guy comes up under the boat:

http://vimeo.com/25630788

We had such a great time it really got me stoked about being in the water again (it's been ages since I dove). Have a friend who spearfishes a lot and I've been with him a few times. Lot to learn, but it's a blast. And Hogfish is the best...

Looking forward to next week in the Keys - thanks for the info.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone have any dive charter recommendations for Key West? I'm working on planning out my Key Largo/Key West trip in August and wouldn't mind booking my dive to make sure I don't run into any booking issues later. Bishop, are you still planning to be down in Key Largo at the start of August? I'll be in Key Largo from August 1st-3rd. August 2nd would probably be the best day for me to dive if you're available.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

rockcity posted:

Does anyone have any dive charter recommendations for Key West? I'm working on planning out my Key Largo/Key West trip in August and wouldn't mind booking my dive to make sure I don't run into any booking issues later. Bishop, are you still planning to be down in Key Largo at the start of August? I'll be in Key Largo from August 1st-3rd. August 2nd would probably be the best day for me to dive if you're available.

I'm interested in Key West recommendations too. We're going to be there for our tenth anniversary in late August for a long weekend and would like to get in some dives while we're there.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I wanted to ask, has anyone on here besides me gotten bent?

I ask because yeah, I only have 16 dives, and I got bent on my first deep dive, at the Spiegel Grove for those who dive Key Largo, but the thought of diving has me more than a little nervous.

I posted the incident here, but don't have archives, but you can read what happened here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/391976-incident-spiegel.html (post 2)

If you were bent, how did you overcome the fear, assuming you had any, of going back? I fully believe that if I still with reef diving, that I will be perfectly fine, as I was with all of my other dives, but I still remember the incident really well (well, not the parts where I was unconscious), and part of me is worried that as soon as I hit 20 feet, my arm is going to go numb again and this time I won't be as lucky.

Seriously, not trying to be a downer here, diving is an amazing and safe sport. We just got our gear serviced and are talking about going back down again, but I'm getting some serious cold feet as we get closer to making the commitment.

Fun fact - the boat I was on when I had the incident ended up sinking 4 months later, killing a new diver who was trapped on board:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/405206-scuba-shacks-boat-get-wet-sinks-key-largo.html

Oh, and if anyone has any questions about what it's like in a decompression chamber, I had two visits there and can answer your questions, but to sum it up, boring!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Bob Loblaw posted:

bent story

Here's your post from before - also trying the quote link manually..

Bob Loblaw posted:

I also just got back from a week in Key Largo and would recommend Scuba Shack, they limit to six passengers and include a guide on each run.

With that said, on Thursday, I went on my first deep dive ever, the Spiegel Grove. It was my 8th dive of the trip (and my 17th ever dive). Went to 93 feet deep, did a swim through the ship, and after 25 minutes, started a slow ascent up the tow rope that was tied to our boat. I followed the instructor and the computer said we were going at the correct rate. At 15 feet, I stopped, along with everyone else for a 3 minute safety stop. Not long after it started, I found I could not lift my left arm to view the computer, and my right hand was holding on to the rope through some strong current. When I saw the wife got the okay to surface, I did as well, got to the top, pulled myself to a back corner of the boat and then passed out face down, fortunately not taking in any water.

After about 20 minutes unconscious, I woke up with oxygen on me, and was able to walk myself to the ambulance, talking to the wife to let her know I was okay and taking off my boots, the rest of the gear had been stripped off of me.

Once at the hospital, I spent about 5 hours in the decompression chamber, came out feeling fine (I went in with my left hand tingling) and was released.

A couple of hours later, I went out to dinner with my wife, son, mother, and a friend to the Pilot House for dinner. Had water to drink and shared some nachos. Shortly after, I stared at the ceiling, pointing at it, and had a seizure. I guess I was out for about another 20-30 minutes as I came to again as I was being unloaded off of the ambulance.

I spent the night and next day in ICU where they ran a bunch of tests: ECG, MRI, EKG, ultrasound on my heart, chest x-rays, and then two more hours in the chamber. Everything looked fine, they think it was an AGE, arterial gas embolism, although they found no traces of it. They put me on anti-seizure medication (Dilantin) which is wreaking havoc with me at the moment, and I was finally allowed to fly home yesterday afternoon.

I see my regular doctor this afternoon but I need to go in for another MRI and some test with a neurologist where they run a camera or sonograph down my throat to better check my heart. I can't drive, no alcohol or caffeine allowed, this sucks, but all things considered, I realize that had I panicked and skipped my safety stop, or let go of the rope to check my computer and drifted away, I'd have probably died.

That sucks, and I'm glad you are trying again. All I could recommend is easing your way back into it. Go 15-20' only for your first drive and get back into it. Then, maybe 30' for a short period and ascend back. Or maybe as soon as you get back in, you'll be fine. I have no idea how I'd react if the same thing happened to me. Good luck!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I've never been bent, but it's funny you bring it up because my dive club had a meeting last night and the speaker we had come was someone from DAN who came to talk about decompression illness and being prepared in case it happens. It was a really interesting and informative talk and has certainly prompted me to jump up my DAN membership to their actual insurance. He didn't talk much about getting over it though. He'd never actually been bent, but did go into a decompression chamber once because he thought it was. Turned out he just had the flu and the symptoms kicked in just as he surfaced from a big multi-level dive. This was back in the early 90's when multi-level diving was pretty uncommon as computers were new so everyone immediately thought he was bent and not sick.

Also timely to Crunkjuice's story is that he's the manager in charge of all in water safety here at the Orlando Sea World. He worked at the San Diego one for years teaching diver safety and after the big whale incident here two years ago they brought him in to be in charge of basically anytime anyone goes into the water. I wish he had more time to hang around to tell stories about his job.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Bob Loblaw posted:

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate,

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=65

No I have not gotten bent or had any symptoms of bending. I do decompression diving and extremely conservative of my ascents. I also would note I have a p-valve on my drysuit and am able to piss like a racehorse. I Pee relentlessly... Why? Cause I am drinking fluids like a bastard on surface. I am considering making a zip pouch on my wing to store a camelbak bladder in there to drink from underwater.

With nitrox you should have been inherently more safe. But look at the guy who got bent in truuk lagoon was way way conservative... He was dehydrated, very few cases do I read of that have actual data that do not involve less than optimal hydration..

Note: I drink somewhere on the order of gallon day before dives and half gallon in the morning or some lunacy. I wake up peeing at night and pee all day.

Just my personal advice from a decompression diver who has not been bent... Yet...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Bob Loblaw posted:

I ask because yeah, I only have 16 dives, and I got bent on my first deep dive, at the Spiegel Grove for those who dive Key Largo, but the thought of diving has me more than a little nervous.

I posted the incident here, but don't have archives, but you can read what happened here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/391976-incident-spiegel.html (post 2)

If you were bent, how did you overcome the fear, assuming you had any, of going back? I fully believe that if I still with reef diving, that I will be perfectly fine, as I was with all of my other dives, but I still remember the incident really well (well, not the parts where I was unconscious), and part of me is worried that as soon as I hit 20 feet, my arm is going to go numb again and this time I won't be as lucky.

Seriously, not trying to be a downer here, diving is an amazing and safe sport. We just got our gear serviced and are talking about going back down again, but I'm getting some serious cold feet as we get closer to making the commitment.

Fun fact - the boat I was on when I had the incident ended up sinking 4 months later, killing a new diver who was trapped on board:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/405206-scuba-shacks-boat-get-wet-sinks-key-largo.html

Oh, and if anyone has any questions about what it's like in a decompression chamber, I had two visits there and can answer your questions, but to sum it up, boring!

It's completely understandable to be nervous especially with a case like yours where there was nothing obvious that caused it. Like slicer dicer says though hydrate like loving mad and take it easy with a few simple shallow reef dives to get your confidence back up. Maybe even a pool session or two would help ease things abit.

Also lol your thread on SB reminds me just how many crazy armchair doctors/engineers with doc in there name there are on that forum.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE
Dont worry I stayed at a holiday inn express last night, I think I should know what I am doing LOL

Le Gruntage to get out of the water for sure.

'

First real photos of myself in quite a while.. I was actually shocked to see what I looked like 0_o

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Hey, I have one of those giant XS Scuba surface markers, too. Haven't used it yet, though.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

Hey, I have one of those giant XS Scuba surface markers, too. Haven't used it yet, though.

They are AWESOME its like your own personal life raft!

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

SlicerDicer posted:

They are AWESOME its like your own personal life raft!

How do you carry it? I'm not entirely sure where it's going to go - the only place I can think of is between two loops of surgical tube at the bottom of my backplate. It's huge even when rolled - too large for any pocket I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

Its time to DIVE

Finch! posted:

How do you carry it? I'm not entirely sure where it's going to go - the only place I can think of is between two loops of surgical tube at the bottom of my backplate. It's huge even when rolled - too large for any pocket I have.

acehardware they have velcro straps + brass clips.. dont you have spare d rings? Sausage Envy is important find a way :) I have way more clips still.

btw in my kit I have, sausage + nautilus lifeline, reef hook, john line, slate, knives etc. I got room to carry tons more in my 2nd bag too. If I find a pot of gold I can at least bring some to the surface to anger the leprechauns..

http://www.gosidemount.com/Razor/razor_pouch.asp Designed to be buttmounted but I changed it to front mounted. It never gets in my way either?

SlicerDicer fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 15, 2012