Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
well gently caress me if I wasn't just thinking 'hey, I could really use a partner for mushroom sorting and cutting on an industrial scale!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Huh. Van Asseldonk is pretty much the best name ever for a mushroom company.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
niceee

saved a production database tonight solely by virtue of my creative "hacking" skills. dumb poo poo moved a mission critical SQL database application to a new server this weekend. I'm responsible for managing the database, but don't have SU on the new server. The admin copied a version of the database that was like a week old, which is a huge fuckup. So, I had to restore a database from a more recent backup before 7am, and while I had permissions to create new databases and assign myself rights to them, this dumb as poo poo admin didn't give me rights on the DB he transferred over, so I couldn't drop it and recreate it from my newer backup. even though I had rights to drop tables. which I realized after I jus fuckin drop EVERY table. I was freaking the gently caress out because it's basically I'd lose a client if the app wasn't live in the morning, and the app was basically completely dead.

all the front end for the DB is PHP, and references the old production DB name, and uses a user I had no idea the credentials for to connect to it. so over the 45 minute course of slowly realizing how hosed I was going to be in several hours, I suddenly realize I have admin rights to the webserver the front end for the DB is housed on. I don't know a thing about the code or how to configure it, but so I just download a local copy of the entire webserver and start digging around like a greppin' pro. I eventually find where the connection string is stored in the app's config file, and lo and behold, there's the user with the unknown password, but it's sitting there hashed. buahahha. so I copy the hashed password, rewrite the connection string to reference a new database on the server, create that new database, upload all the tables and poo poo from my backup, and then because I have owner privileges on that DB, assign this user the appropriate rights, upload my modified config to the front-end webserver, hit refresh, and badabing badabam I just saved the day. :c00l:

IT work can be pretty dull, but it has it's moments too I guess. It's a cool feeling when everything is about to explode but then you lateral-think hard enough and are able to come up with a creative solution.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also it's fun working with small businesses because "oh let's just do everything on the production server over the weekend with no backup or clear discussion between parties involved? what could possibly go wrong!!!"

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
That.. that is what I miss hard from the days where people would allow me to actually touch productive systems.

The tight deadlines, the building panic, the dark metal pumping in your headphones, punishing your eardrums to the brink of hemoraging, the coffeine, nicotine and whatever -ine there is in poor pizzas, while the world closes in around you, and night gradually starts turning to dawn.

The metal taste of the rushes of the adrenalin flooding your brain, followed up by the sweet, sweet feeling of success - looking for more code to crunch, or something, anything to gently caress.

It is the best high I've ever had, alcohol or hash doesn't even come close.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

It is the best high I've ever had, alcohol or hash doesn't even come close.

yeah, after moments like this I generally monologue "COME ON YOU SON OF A BITCH, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT??? LETS SEE WHAT ELSE YOU GOT, YOU TALKIN TO ME.................. ARE YOU NUTS? COME AT ME BROOO" ala http://youtu.be/4TeXWPEVVig?t=3m49s

then I spike my keyboard between my legs like I'm motherfuckin tim tebow and walk the gently caress away

:colbert:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of football, how about that euro 2012

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the week of all that furry poo poo for me in Pittsburgh. I leave Wednesday. I'll miss you guys :3:.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

This is the week of all that furry poo poo for me in Pittsburgh. I leave Wednesday. I'll miss you guys :3:.

please post pictures

please

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

please post pictures

please

Seconded. Not so we can mock you and your ilk, of course We're just curious.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if I remember. Or you can check the youtubes, people post videos. Case in point, this video from 2009 of a guy I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FWZ1Kmvzs

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
shhhh shhshh shhhshhhhhh nono manuel

~~ I want videos ~~~~~~ ------- of you

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I do not understand the dressing up as plush toys thing... Please explain it to me!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I do not understand the dressing up as plush toys thing... Please explain it to me!

Yes, please do.
:munch:

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 11, 2012

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Hat posted:

what, fursuits? *shrug* I couldn't explain it very well.

@mindphlux - what're you willing to pay? ;-*

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

@mindphlux - what're you willing to pay? ;-*

I guess that depends on if you are a girl or boy, what race (or animal, or whatever you guys call it) you're cosplaying, how many other people are in the shot, the quality of your fursuit, what the ambience is like, how convincing your dialog is, how the sun glistens off your fur, how drunk I am, how dirty you're willing to talk, what I had for dinner that night, the quality of the pictures/video, if you have HIV/AIDS or not, if you're available, if you've already got children, if you like cilantro, how many times you've flown overseas, if you think depeche mode is a legitimate form of music, what you think of the number 2, how much you weigh, if you like computers, what color your hair is, et cetera

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Manuel Calavera posted:

I still wanna see you make the attempt.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mindphlux posted:

I guess that depends on if you are a girl or boy, what race (or animal, or whatever you guys call it) you're cosplaying, how many other people are in the shot, the quality of your fursuit, what the ambience is like, how convincing your dialog is, how the sun glistens off your fur, how drunk I am, how dirty you're willing to talk, what I had for dinner that night, the quality of the pictures/video, if you have HIV/AIDS or not, if you're available, if you've already got children, if you like cilantro, how many times you've flown overseas, if you think depeche mode is a legitimate form of music, what you think of the number 2, how much you weigh, if you like computers, what color your hair is, et cetera

yes is my answer good sir

also, some people just like em Yawg? *shrug* I can't explain it very well

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dino!!!

What is that lying on my desk?

What could it be??

I love you dino!

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
That's so loving awesome. Congrats HH :3:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is a really cool present.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah that's pretty cute.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah I kind of wish my copy was signed now :3:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Y'all are missing the most important thing: Happy Hat's name is Peter

Mine's Richard, by the way, just so he doesn't feel too exposed.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

therattle posted:

Y'all are missing the most important thing: Happy Hat's name is Peter

Mine's Richard, by the way, just so he doesn't feel too exposed.

His last name is straight bork bork stuff though. I have no idea how to pronounce it.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I knew I should have blacked that out or something....

This is the coolest thing on my desk!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
OMG it arrived! I'm so glad it got there in one piece. Glad you enjoy the note, HH. <3 Love you too.

Also, holy gently caress but your desk is gorgeous.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

That is a table. :colbert:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Dino!!!

What is that lying on my desk?

What could it be??

I love you dino!

:siren: THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS IS THAT THIS VERSION OF THE BOOK HAS DINO'S MARRIED NAME :siren:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

yeah, after moments like this I generally monologue "COME ON YOU SON OF A BITCH, IS THAT ALL YOU GOT??? LETS SEE WHAT ELSE YOU GOT, YOU TALKIN TO ME.................. ARE YOU NUTS? COME AT ME BROOO" ala http://youtu.be/4TeXWPEVVig?t=3m49s

then I spike my keyboard between my legs like I'm motherfuckin tim tebow and walk the gently caress away

:colbert:

gently caress yeah. Grats on your mighty save of the production db. :hfive:

Speaking of football, here's a player's last game where he subs in his 5 year old son. I love that the other players get into the spirit of it.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I know each major knife manufacturer has a lovely line (JA Henkel's Internation edge for instance). What are the other product lines to avoid?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Not sure about knives but I'll never use Trogan brand condoms again.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Halalelujah posted:

What, another little bundle of joy isn't appealing?

Btw, thanks for inadvertently causing me to quit smoking. It's been like 2 weeks, and it's going a hell of a lot better than my previous attempts. I'm cautiously optimistic that quitting's going to stick this time.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

I do not understand the trojan brand name....

I mean - a trojan is something that is the outcome of a sneaky and sly plan (ok - there it fits), filled with little guys(fits too), gives the receiver joy (fits too), but will burst open when you least expect it, and out will come all the little guys who will display their wroth by wreaking havoc, and generally ruining everybodys day!

Why would you use that as a brand?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

But that's because you share a common misconception about the Trojans. Actually, it was the Greeks who were sneaky and sly. The Trojans lived in a fortified city state that was reputedly unconquerable.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Scientastic posted:

But that's because you share a common misconception about the Trojans. Actually, it was the Greeks who were sneaky and sly. The Trojans lived in a fortified city state that was reputedly unconquerable.

Yeah, but the way the Greeks are going, you don't need to worry about babies.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

EVG posted:

Yeah, but the way the Greeks are going, you don't need to worry about babies.

Is this a homosexuality joke, or a joke about Greece's current economic woes?

Either way, :downsrim:

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
So I am lazy, maybe even dumb... but after two years of Man Pies this last 3 months has been very productive.

Three big things happend:

1) We got a phone...
2) We got a cash register
3) I just got my first shipment of Man Pies shirt

In case you want to buy a t-shirt email fartmagnet at manpies dot com

GOONS: if there is enough interest I will do a custom run with goons with spoons specific back.
MOD: I hope this is not too shameless.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I love lunches where I get to down delicious brews. Went to a beer focused bar for lunch today (they don't serve food, but they allow people to bring in food so we brought a pizza). Got two draft beers there: a Milk Stout Nitro from Left Hand Brewing Co. and a Sofie from Goose Island. The Milk Stout was a bit too sweet for a stout for my taste, but still drat good. The Sofie was superb; tart and a touch sour, but not overbearingly so, with a wonderful nose and a smooth finish. Extremely quaffable and just delightful.

Man, work in the afternoon is just so much more pleasant with a slight buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

magnetic posted:

fartmagnet

That just screams "class".