Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I was playing Rebuild on my phone and I really enjoyed it, I was wondering if there are any similar, more polished survival-strategy type games for PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Also Jet Set Radio Future.
Seconding these so hard. Get Bastion in the Humble Bundle, it's such a steal and you get 7 other awesome games as well, including LIMBO and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, both of which have some great atmosphere.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Are there any recent RPGs that have the party customization of the Balders Gate/Icewind Dale games?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The last one I remember was the Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir expansion.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Are there any recent RPGs that have the party customization of the Balders Gate/Icewind Dale games?

I haven't played Avernum: Escape from the Pit but if it's anything like the original series it should have rather strong party customization.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

LordIronHat posted:

I am looking for games with an emphasis on atmosphere and setting. I played through Metroid Prime Trilogy, Metro 2033, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and Shadow of The Colossus and loved the unique way each tells a story.

I am looking for something like those.

Dark Souls has an incredible atmosphere and setting, and a cool way of discovering the story behind the scenes.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm looking for a PC game that I can play with two jaded gamers who don't want to be stressed out by fast paced gameplay or complexity. Something more engaging than Farmville but not e-sporty or difficult.

A good interface is a must, and it'd be a plus if it was a game that we could dip into a build on without having to play for long periods. I was wondering if Anno 2070 might be an option, but it's probably a bit too detailed/complex.

We've already tried Minecraft and Terraria.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 13, 2012

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chas McGill posted:

I'm looking for a PC game that I can play with two jaded gamers who don't want to be stressed out by fast paced gameplay or complexity. Something more engaging than Farmville but not e-sporty or difficult.

A good interface is a must, and it'd be a plus if it was a game that we could dip into a build on without having to play for long periods. I was wondering if Anno 2070 might be an option, but it's probably a bit too detailed/complex.

We've already tried Minecraft and Terraria.

I'm looking for the same thing... My wife and I live with a good friend and we're always looking for games we can play together. We had some good luck with Settlers of Catan (the free online version), but we're looking for more.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It'd also be really cool to play a collaborative multiplayer game that doesn't revolve around killing people/things.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are there any 360/PS3/Wii/Mac games where you play as a spy or character with a secret life and have to be sneaky or deceive people to stay undercover? It's hard for me to articulate what I'm looking for exactly. Hitman does it pretty well I guess, and there was that old pc game where you were a politician. I really love the whole modern setting of those, with people functioning normally without realizing whats going on.

Thanks in advance. You guys always give me a poo poo ton of good games to get.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 16, 2012

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are there any 360/PS3/Wii/Mac games where you play as a spy or character with a secret life and have to be sneaky or deceive people to stay undercover? It's hard for me to articulate what I'm looking for exactly. Hitman does it pretty well I guess, and there was that old pc game where you were a politician. I really love the whole modern setting of those, with people functioning normally without realizing whats going on.

Thanks in advance. You guys always give me a poo poo ton of good games to get.

Alpha Protocol?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I'm open to any recommendations on games that offer multiple paths/dialogue options. I have just completed and greatly enjoyed the Game of Thrones RPG, and am a big fan of stuff like Dragon Ages/Mass Effect etc. I like RPGs that offer choices (even if it's just the illusion of freedom) and being given the option to make evil choices or be all benevolent and poo poo. Planescape Torment, anything like that. PS3 or PC :)

Thank you!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bloodbath posted:

I'm open to any recommendations on games that offer multiple paths/dialogue options. I have just completed and greatly enjoyed the Game of Thrones RPG, and am a big fan of stuff like Dragon Ages/Mass Effect etc. I like RPGs that offer choices (even if it's just the illusion of freedom) and being given the option to make evil choices or be all benevolent and poo poo. Planescape Torment, anything like that. PS3 or PC :)

Thank you!

Fallout: New Vegas would probably be your best bet here. (No pun intended) You can play as a total saint, helping out everybody you find, or just be an evil bastard, killing everybody in the game, and munching on corpses to heal yourself.

Play it on the PC, not the PS3. By all accounts, the PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas is horribly broken.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

Fallout: New Vegas would probably be your best bet here. (No pun intended) You can play as a total saint, helping out everybody you find, or just be an evil bastard, killing everybody in the game, and munching on corpses to heal yourself.

Play it on the PC, not the PS3. By all accounts, the PS3 version of Fallout: New Vegas is horribly broken.
Seconding this pretty hard. I don't have the expansions, but even vanilla it is a wonderful game with great writing.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

thrakkorzog posted:

I've played that to death, and Skyrim, Oblivion. To be honest I'm not sure there's many games that have slipped under my radar but you never know! Thanks for the recommendation :)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bloodbath posted:

I've played that to death, and Skyrim, Oblivion. To be honest I'm not sure there's many games that have slipped under my radar but you never know! Thanks for the recommendation :)

Have you tried out The Witcher games? Although the moral choices aren't quite as black and white, you end up with situations where even if you don't make a particular choice towards being good or evil, the game plot moves forward, with undecided being a third option.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

I bought The Witcher 2 but sadly my computer struggled to run it, which I was really sad about because it looked brilliant :( Is The Witcher 1 worth playing? I imagine it'll be able to handle that.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'd echo the previous suggestion of Alpha Protocol, if you haven't played it already. It has its own world of problems. It's buggy, the combat is boring for the first half of the game but the choices, conversions and paths you can take are expansive as all hell.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Bloodbath posted:

I bought The Witcher 2 but sadly my computer struggled to run it, which I was really sad about because it looked brilliant :( Is The Witcher 1 worth playing? I imagine it'll be able to handle that.

Witcher 1 is a great game too, and graphically still very nice looking.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm becoming super curious about gems I've missed. I was a console gamer mainly up until a few years ago. I've ran through a bunch of classics like Baldur's Gate 2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex and all those games everyone knows about, but I've just discovered No One Lives Forever 2 and it's really clever and I was in love at first sight. Looks great, too.

Any PC games folks can recommend that aren't necessarily the glistening pinnacles of human creation™?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'm becoming super curious about gems I've missed. I was a console gamer mainly up until a few years ago. I've ran through a bunch of classics like Baldur's Gate 2, System Shock 2, Deus Ex and all those games everyone knows about, but I've just discovered No One Lives Forever 2 and it's really clever and I was in love at first sight. Looks great, too.

Any PC games folks can recommend that aren't necessarily the glistening pinnacles of human creation™?

Check out X-COM, Hostile Waters and Freelancer.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I'm interested in hybrid RPG/RTSes, something with deeper RPG elements than Warcraft 3 but better RTS gameplay than Spellforce or Dragonshard.

Also, anything like Panzer Dragoon Orta for PS3.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I'm interested in hybrid RPG/RTSes, something with deeper RPG elements than Warcraft 3 but better RTS gameplay than Spellforce or Dragonshard.

Also, anything like Panzer Dragoon Orta for PS3.

My personal fave rpg/rts hybrid game is Warlords Battlecry 3. Its on GoG for like 5 bucks. Its not the prettiest game in the world but its hero creation system is much better than any of the games you listed. The RTS part is fast and furious and with loads of variety in regards to units and spells and the like.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully a simple one, I'm looking for some cheap eyecandy to throw at my new GTX670. PhysX is a bonus :swoon:. Playing through Batman AC at the moment, anything even nicer looking which isn't £30+?

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I'm interested in hybrid RPG/RTSes, something with deeper RPG elements than Warcraft 3 but better RTS gameplay than Spellforce

you'd probably enjoy dawn of war 2. You will probably be able to get them all for cheap in the upcoming steam summer sale.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Tunga posted:

Hopefully a simple one, I'm looking for some cheap eyecandy to throw at my new GTX670. PhysX is a bonus :swoon:. Playing through Batman AC at the moment, anything even nicer looking which isn't £30+?

Grab The Witcher 2 for a little over £20.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Older games:

Age of Wonders. Fallout 1 and 2. Master of Orion 2. Ultima VII and its expansions/sequel (and Underworld if you can stomach the early 3D). Tyrian. Star Control 2 the Ur-Quan Masters. OpenTTD. Civilization (or better, IV). Divine Divinity. Beyond Good and Evil if you somehow missed it on consoles. Dungeon Keeper. Homeworld. Anachronox. Rise of Nations (but not RON: Legends it's poo poo). The Last Express. Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War 1 (I hate 2), or Company of Heroes if you prefer WW2. Fragile Allegiance. Lands of Lore. Capitalism. Weird Worlds. Patrician 4. Shadowgrounds. King's Bounty (the new one not the DOS one). X-Com: Ufo Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown (the DOS one not the new one). Anno 1404 (2070 is crap). Sword of the stars 1 (for go'd sake do not I repeat DO NOT get 2). SimCity 4. Samorost, Machinarium. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Freelancer. Il-2 Sturmovik.

Here you go, some famous games, some less-known but amazing, some very quirky, I enjoyed all of them a lot and they should give you some... comprehensive experience with older PC gaming. You can get many of them on GOG.com.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 18, 2012

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So, this is kind of a weird one, but I am curious. Most Space 4X games(or any really) are very 'positive', in that you start off small and build up, peaking at having super military power or researching the ability to transcend mortality or whatever. Are there any space 4x games with a bleaker setting, one where everyone is just struggling to get by?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Pierzak posted:

Older games:

Age of Wonders. Fallout 1 and 2. Master of Orion 2. Ultima VII and its expansions/sequel (and Underworld if you can stomach the early 3D). Tyrian. Star Control 2 the Ur-Quan Masters. OpenTTD. Civilization (or better, IV). Divine Divinity. Beyond Good and Evil if you somehow missed it on consoles. Dungeon Keeper. Homeworld. Anachronox. Rise of Nations (but not RON: Legends it's poo poo). The Last Express. Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War 1 (I hate 2), or Company of Heroes if you prefer WW2. Fragile Allegiance. Lands of Lore. Capitalism. Weird Worlds. Patrician 4. Shadowgrounds. King's Bounty (the new one not the DOS one). X-Com: Ufo Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown (the DOS one not the new one). Anno 1404 (2070 is crap). Sword of the stars 1 (for go'd sake do not I repeat DO NOT get 2). SimCity 4. Samorost, Machinarium. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Freelancer. Il-2 Sturmovik.

Here you go, some famous games, some less-known but amazing, some very quirky, I enjoyed all of them a lot and they should give you some... comprehensive experience with older PC gaming. You can get many of them on GOG.com.

Something tells me you like strategy games. Fortunately, so do I!

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

If you played Baldur's Gate 2 and enjoyed it, go play Planescape:Torment before you play anything else. Also, just go to GoG.com and look at anything the community rated highly. They're usually pretty good, in my experience, at determining which old games are worth going back to.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Something tells me you like strategy games. Fortunately, so do I!
RPG, Strategy, Adventure, FPS, whatever's good. No sports or racing though.

I tried for a varied experience. Don't tempt me or I'll throw more good strategy games at you.

Try Populous 3. Man I miss those times :(

Also: gently caress how did I miss this drop whatever you're doing and play Torment. It's the best RPG ever.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 18, 2012

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arcanum. It's buggy as hell, but there's a community patch floating around that fixes most of it and other than that it's an incredible game. You can pick it up cheap on Good old games.

Actually, most of the stuff on GOG fits what you seem to be looking for.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So I saw Prometheus the other night and it left me wanting to play an exploration game based in outer space. Something focusing on the thrill of discovering new worlds, alien civilizations, and technology. Especially if it has philosophical underpinnings about mankind; where we came from, our role in the universe, first contact, meeting our "creators", etc.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Canemacar posted:

So I saw Prometheus the other night and it left me wanting to play an exploration game based in outer space. Something focusing on the thrill of discovering new worlds, alien civilizations, and technology. Especially if it has philosophical underpinnings about mankind; where we came from, our role in the universe, first contact, meeting our "creators", etc.

Check out Star Control 2, the Ur'Quan Masters:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

That's a fancy PC port. You can read about the original game here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Control_II

It's a bit spoilery, though. It supplies plenty of backstory within the game itself. Good luck! (It's one of my favorite games)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Recently I stumbled across a game I loved in my childhood, Warlords (1989) and it came to me that a game like this doesn't actually exist to my knowledge any more, at least to my knowledge. Is there something like this that supports online play in the modern world or is the genre of 'simple turn based strategy' dead and gone?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Recently I stumbled across a game I loved in my childhood, Warlords (1989) and it came to me that a game like this doesn't actually exist to my knowledge any more, at least to my knowledge. Is there something like this that supports online play in the modern world or is the genre of 'simple turn based strategy' dead and gone?

Well, I haven't played Warlord, but based on the screenshots it seems quite similar to the Heroes of Might and Magic and/or King's Bounty series. Other modern(ish) online turn-based strategy games you might want to look at are the Age of Wonders games and Dominions 3, although the latter is really, really complex.

Online turn-based strategy also seems to be a very popular genre in browser games, but I haven't really tried those, maybe someone else knows if there are any that are decent.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ashenai posted:

Online turn-based strategy also seems to be a very popular genre in browser games, but I haven't really tried those, maybe someone else knows if there are any that are decent.
There's actually a browser Warlords-lookalike, by the same people :ssh:

Also, Age of Wonders owns, especially the first one with the branching campaign. It's Master of Magic meats Heroes of M&M!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 18, 2012

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I played Lost in Blue, Lost in Blue 2, UnRealWorld and I've modded Skyrim extensively to be about survival, but my itch still isn't scratched. Anyone have survival games that involve managing food, warmth, shelter?

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole
I recently got my hands on Disgaea DS after a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about the series and convinced me to try it. So far I'm having a blast and might be interested in picking up it's sequels. Can anyone recommend me any particular titles in the series, which are worth getting and which aren't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Contest Winner posted:

So, this is kind of a weird one, but I am curious. Most Space 4X games(or any really) are very 'positive', in that you start off small and build up, peaking at having super military power or researching the ability to transcend mortality or whatever. Are there any space 4x games with a bleaker setting, one where everyone is just struggling to get by?

I've got a feeling you might like Emperor of the Fading Suns, it's basically the dark ages in space, kinda similar to Dune. Make sure to check out the two major mods - Nova and Hyperion. Since vanilla game is a bit broken in places, they rebalance it to make it more playable. Nova is the beginner-friendly one iirc.