Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They are getting close to the manga again, I expect a bit of filler after Fishman Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

They are getting close to the manga again, I expect a bit of filler after Fishman Island.

They cant get closer. Each episode is literally one chapter.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

... you don't actually read the manga, do you? They're at least 40 weeks behind, so long as they stay to the 1 chapter = 1 episode formula.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
At this point I'd honestly prefer filler to the atrocious pacing the anime has fallen back on. At least you can skip the filler in good conscience.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm considering just taking a break and starting watching after the summer is over because it's dragging along terribly slow. It's like watching an interesting movie in slow-mo.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I caught up with the show during Impel Down, and I feel like Marineford was dragging way more than Fishman Island has so far. Are they actually only getting in one chapter an episode?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Senor Candle posted:

I caught up with the show during Impel Down, and I feel like Marineford was dragging way more than Fishman Island has so far. Are they actually only getting in one chapter an episode?

That's because Marineford was obviously filled out with marathon training filler. With all the running they did toward Ace, Marineford must have been about as wide as the distance between Charlston S.C. and the Mississippi.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gyges posted:

That's because Marineford was obviously filled out with marathon training filler. With all the running they did toward Ace, Marineford must have been about as wide as the distance between Charlston S.C. and the Mississippi.

AAAAAAACCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
If there was any series which needed the DBZ Kai treatment, it's One Piece. You could probably lose like 45% of it easily to get back to straight manga content. The bad thing is, the series doesn't include that many individual filler episodes, it's all the filler within the normal episodes that's the problem.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks to the Marineford arc, I can never get the stock sound effect "people running on cobblestone" out of my head.

Teek posted:

If there was any series which needed the DBZ Kai treatment, it's One Piece. You could probably lose like 45% of it easily to get back to straight manga content. The bad thing is, the series doesn't include that many individual filler episodes, it's all the filler within the normal episodes that's the problem.

Yeah, seriously. Growing up as a DBZ fan, I loved how Kai skipped almost all of the bullshit. When One Piece eventually ends, I'd love to watch an abridged version of it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think the worst thing they do is all the flashbacks to past episodes. Its pure filler that they try and disguise as a helpful reminder.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Teek posted:

I was always scared of DBZ because of its length (very much like OP before I actually started watching) and never heard of Kai and now I actually might get around to watching it.

My "problem" with percepting OP's padding differently is because I marathoned it whole during last summer so whenever I felt like things were dragging along I just skipped freely. This might have skewed my opinion of it but now that I actually experience it first hand I agree about the abridged version.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

lordfrikk posted:

My "problem" with percepting OP's padding differently is because I marathoned it whole during last summer so whenever I felt like things were dragging along I just skipped freely. This might have skewed my opinion of it but now that I actually experience it first hand I agree about the abridged version.

Because I also read the manga, I pretty much do the same thing for new OP episodes. I've found I only end up watching about 10-12 minutes of material each week...

A Kai treatment would be incredible, but that's so far down the line that it seems unrealistic. Especially considering that the anime could run for over 1000 episodes. Abridging the series one arc at a time while the anime is still going would be pretty cool.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Toward the end of Bleach I discovered you could run the episodes at double speed and not really lose out on anything. I should be doing the same for One Piece - this padding is getting downright painful.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I had to quit watching Bleach because it wasn't even worth watching sped up. I just kept pressing the skip-ahead-20-seconds button until the episode ended. If Bleach had tried one episode per chapter it would have been atrocious since a page of the manga often consists of one character standing in a void somewhere with maybe a line of dialogue.

A page of One Piece is packed with dialogue and background action, so it's honestly not that bad. It seems like post-timeskip, Oda was trying to cram enough filler into each chapter that anime filler wouldn't be needed. Partial success.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I find watching episodes in bulk tends to lesson the blow. I stopped watching the anime before the flashback because I read the manga. I went through all of them in a weekends and it wasn't too bad.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Well I just watched the whole series again, this time with a willing partner. (my girlfriend)
Good times, but she's disappointed we've run out. Luckily we were able to watch marineford abridged. Thanks for the knowledge on that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

galahan posted:

Well I just watched the whole series again, this time with a willing partner. (my girlfriend)
Good times, but she's disappointed we've run out. Luckily we were able to watch marineford abridged. Thanks for the knowledge on that.

Obviously it's time to move on to the movies. Avoid Movie 8 and 9, though. Move 3 is at least bad enough to be funny and has a couple of sweet action scenes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Is it just me or did the opening and recap bullshit took like 40% of the last episode? I started watching and suddenly there comes the mid-episode marker...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

lordfrikk posted:

Is it just me or did the opening and recap bullshit took like 40% of the last episode? I started watching and suddenly there comes the mid-episode marker...

6 mins of a 23 minute episode... but that's fairly normal now.

I'm so glad they used that particular bit of music for the final scene - I've loved it ever since its first, memorable use in the Arlong arc. I can't remember the last time they used it in the anime.

bondster
May 6, 2007

jassa posted:

6 mins of a 23 minute episode... but that's fairly normal now.

I'm so glad they used that particular bit of music for the final scene - I've loved it ever since its first, memorable use in the Arlong arc. I can't remember the last time they used it in the anime.

Impel Down, when Luffy healed from Magellans poison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ASsy0TW-s (about 1:25) warning: audio may be poo poo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bondster posted:

Impel Down, when Luffy healed from Magellans poison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ASsy0TW-s (about 1:25) warning: audio may be poo poo

Sometimes I forget that meat is an actual medical treatment for Luffy.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av_K8DzeiME

Here's the track.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Whats this? A 2-hour TV special that is remaking The Arlong Arc coming in August?

:swoon:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I wonder if they are going to do the thing where crewmembers who hadn't actually been recruited yet show up anyways.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I wonder if they are going to do the thing where crewmembers who hadn't actually been recruited yet show up anyways.
Have they done that? I haven't seen any of the One Piece "Arc" movies.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Flameingblack posted:

Have they done that? I haven't seen any of the One Piece "Arc" movies.

When they did the Drum Island arc as a movie they included Robin and Franky despite the fact that it took place before they joined the crew.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drakkel posted:

When they did the Drum Island arc as a movie they included Robin and Franky despite the fact that it took place before they joined the crew.

The entire arc was basically just Luffy, Sanji, Nami, and Chopper anyway, so they just stood around with Zoro and Usopp.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

The entire arc was basically just Luffy, Sanji, Nami, and Chopper anyway, so they just stood around with Zoro and Usopp.

They also removed Vivi. And let Luffy go Second Gear. And tried to make us take the joke villains seriously. Basically the whole movie was a big mess.

Considering the more straightforward remake of Alabasta they made into movie 8 was an even bigger mess, I'm not holding out hope that they'll be able to do Arlong Park justice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arlong Park is shorter, so it has that going for it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Yeah, Arlong Park was a much shorter, more straightforward story. Alabasta was a huge storyline that encompassed several other storylines and had numerous plots alongside the main one. It was a terrible idea to try and compress all that into one movie.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I've always kind of wanted them to go back and redo the old stuff to match the current art style. Thinking about it, doing some OVA's of the important stuff is much more feasible and a really cool idea

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
It seems like they have more riding on this movie since it ties into the Fishman Island stuff that's playing right now and it will be good? I haven't seen the movies though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I've always kind of wanted them to go back and redo the old stuff to match the current art style. Thinking about it, doing some OVA's of the important stuff is much more feasible and a really cool idea

I've always kind of wanted them to go back and redo the new stuff to match the old art style.

Especially the female character designs. There is not a single reasonably-shaped woman left in the One Piece world, it's just ridiculous looking. Some of the movement animations are kind of wonky with that one animator in my opinion, too.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was thinking more along the lines of putting stuff into Widescreen/HD, but I 100% agree with you that the female anatomy has become nearly unbearable. I would take first episode human looking Nami over current Nami any day.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Hey, would you like some new One Piece Film Z info? Too bad its related to something very huge that hasn't happened in the manga yet.

But I'm a nice guy so have an awesome Film Z Straw Hat scan:

http://imgbox.com/aahgVsTG

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Captain "Crunch" Ussop

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Catching up on the anime after wandering off because I'd already seen the flashback in the manga.

This was the best time to come back in. That leadup at the end of 553...I am excited for tonight's episode.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Agreed with Zoro, needed to see that, otherwise the captain needs to step down :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Captain "Crunch" Ussop

Took me a second, but that definitely made me laugh out loud.

Why does it seem that Chopper can change his hat he was given as long as he maintains the pink background with the X? I would have figured the hat itself would have been the important part.