Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.
You forgot to mention that Sturm has the greatest them ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Viashino_wizard posted:

You forgot to mention that Sturm has the greatest them ever.
Whoops. Consider that "thing I'm not going to tell you about him" Number 3?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Max, then Sami.

I wanna see some AW1 Max Force numbers against a defense penalized CO. :getin:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
This mission actually looks pretty fun, since there doesn't really seem to be any stupid gimmick for this fight. Just a straight up fight.

Max, then Sami seem like the two most interesting choices.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Sandy, then Ami

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
That's a hell of a lot of rough terrain, and mechs are amazing in rough terrain. Send Sami! Or just Max.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR47AeI05Do

Skip to 0:20 for a glorious tribute to botes

Oh, and Max/Sami

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Max doesn't get enough love. Oh, and Sami too I guess.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Triskelli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR47AeI05Do

Skip to 0:20 for a glorious tribute to botes

Oh, and Max/Sami

This is beautiful you wonderful goon-genius.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Sami ->Andy

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

FIRST PREFERENCE

Andy 3
Max 16
Sami 10

Andy eliminated!

SECOND PREFERENCE OF ANDY VOTERS

Max 2
Sami 1

TOTAL VOTES

Max 16 + 2 = 18
Sami 10 + 1 = 11

Max wins! Not a complete landslide, but certainly a comfortable win. And yeah, being honest Max is my choice here too. His ability to just smash through Sturm's paper-thin defences is definitely handy here. I'll see if I can beat it with Sami in a highlights reel, though. Speaking of highlights reels...

We're going through Andy Times Two! again, this time as Sami, and this time hopefully showing how it should be done.

Appropriately for Sami, I'm doing this on the save where I played as her throughout Green Earth (i.e., the one that'll become the Andy-Max-Eagle iteration of The Final Battle). Anyway, Sami and (clone) Andy both feature in this mission, but I've pretty much run out of music to link you to. I dunno, search through the thread or something ;).

Day 1

First up, let's have the dialogue you get if you pick Sami for this mission:

Who? Oh, it's you. Sami!
Who is that? Is that... Andy?
What the...?
Huh? Two Andys? What's going on? Eagle! Can you explain this?
Ah, yes. That's a clone of Andy that our enigmatic foe somehow constructed. Starting with Green Earth, he's attacked several countries.
So this is why everyone's been picking fights with Orange Star! I don't know who that guy is, but he's got me steamed! Look out, bozo! Here I come!

I may have said it before, but the crazy E-rated slang that Max and Sami come up with is pretty hilarious.

Hey! Hold on a moment! The green units are my troops! Let me handle all of the enemy air units. It'll give you time to push straight ahead and storm the foe's HQ.

Anyway, let's roll.

One of quite a few things that I suspect had you guys going "why on Earth did he do that?" last mission was that I really wasn't aggressive enough with my navy. I kind of needed to get my battleship and submarine up in Clone Andy's face. Well, let's make amends this time. The T-Copter also sets off, loaded with infantry this time rather than a mech, and boasting Sami's movement range increase as well.

The ground troops head upfield as well. It's important that they make a strong showing even though we won't be relying on Plan B this time: we have to draw Clone Andy's crazy army of medium tanks away from his HQ.

Dived sub alert, if you're interested. We're mostly going to be ignoring it this mission though.

Day 2

After Eagle and Clone Andy's turns. Somehow a bomber managed to survive this time. Eagle's AI is pretty random, and apparently I got dealt a really bad hand during the Andy run. Maybe it helps that I went on the offensive with my navy this time?

Anyway, let's keep trucking. Sub attacks battleship, battleship moves up with the lander acting as sacrificial material for that submarine. And the T copter moves up too (note: it's important to keep it over the sea. Put it over or adjacent to land, and those medium tanks'll start heading back this way wondering what all the fuss is about. Found that out to my cost on my first attempt at a Sami run here). The T copter's sitting in fighter range, but I'm hoping Eagle has the gumption to take care of that fighter. He should do, he's got a Lightning Strike up his sleeve after all.

Moving stuff up.

Eagle's AI is being a bit better behaved than last time, but it's still an AI. And it's still going to target transports over actually threatening units any chance it gets :osapc:.

Anyway, as promised he gets a Lightning Strike.

Day 3

And he does eventually manage to take out that threatening fighter. After three shots on his second turn, but he does get it done eventually.

Sub kills battleship, battleship maims medium tank and I drop my infantry unit off inside the rocket's range shadow. But it's still four squares to the HQ! Well, that's what Double Time'll be for. It's not the most explosive of powers, but it can still give you a handy edge.

Medium tank shoots tank, other units mill around a bit.

Didn't notice that Clone Andy still had a fighter active. Good job the T copter had already delivered its payload. My lander gets finished off as well, in a rather painful turn for my transports.

Day 4

All right then, Double Time's charged, let's rock.

And roll straight onto the HQ. Black Hole's HQ is a weird alienesque structure that sadly kind of got squashed here. You'll get a better look when I finish capturing.

I'd better have a turn where I focus on killing units for the power score. Down goes a light tank.

And an infantry.

And the submarine. You don't often get a chance to notice it, but battleships actually do very heavy damage to submarines when they aren't submerged. It's just that subs are completely invulnerable to battleships when they are submerged.

All right, I guess we'll leave that there.

Day 5

And may as well finish this off now since I don't think there's anything to be gained from further conflict.

Bam! Perfect S-Rank. So, with that out of the way, we'll leave Eagle to play with all those Andy clones and head on out to...

... the source of all our troubles. Hopefully.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 11, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Paul.Power posted:

... the source of all our troubles. Hopefully.

What a totally logical consequence.

quote:

Eagle's AI is being a bit better behaved than last time, but it's still an AI. And it's still going to target transports over actually threatening units any chance it gets [img=http://lpix.org/548509/osapc.gif].
Not sure if this is on purpose, but you should definitely leave it like that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I know it's just his normal pose, but it really looks like Sami's holding on to Eagle's arm in the Victory shot.

I think Eagle just wanted Sami to do better.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Kangra posted:

I know it's just his normal pose, but it really looks like Sami's holding on to Eagle's arm in the Victory shot.

I think Eagle just wanted Sami to do better.

Also scope out that :smugbert: Eagle's got. I bet he's like that because of Sami.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Walliard posted:

Not sure if this is on purpose, but you should definitely leave it like that.
Compromise, I'll change it to :osapc:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:allears: So this is where the 3-star ranking in Dual Strike originates.

They're so cute together. :3:

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Well, that and the incredible synergy between an extra turn followed by 5 move terrain ignoring infantry that insta-cap.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

M.c.P posted:

Well, that and the incredible synergy between an extra turn followed by 5 move terrain ignoring infantry that insta-cap.

TWO extra turns. Don't forget using Eagle in a Tag Power effectively gives a player three turns. So two turns to move the T-Copter, THEN the 5 move, terrain ignoring, insta-cap Infantry.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Alkydere posted:

TWO extra turns. Don't forget using Eagle in a Tag Power effectively gives a player three turns. So two turns to move the T-Copter, THEN the 5 move, terrain ignoring, insta-cap Infantry.

Oh mercy. Now that's just unfair.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Glazius posted:

Oh mercy. Now that's just unfair.

The tradeoff is that the Tag takes a HUGE time to charge up, and Eagle and Sami focus on completely different units on a day to day basis; Eagle focuses on Planes and Non-infantry units, Sami focuses on Infantry units, Mechs, and Indirects.

If you can pull off a successful tag, it's basically an instant win. The key word is IF, especially if Sasha is on the opposing team.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

fade5 posted:

The tradeoff is that the Tag takes a HUGE time to charge up, and Eagle and Sami focus on completely different units on a day to day basis; Eagle focuses on Planes and Non-infantry units, Sami focuses on Infantry units, Mechs, and Indirects.

If you can pull off a successful tag, it's basically an instant win. The key word is IF, especially if Sasha is on the opposing team.

If you actually go into a match using Eagle and Sami, wouldn't the other guy bring Sasha and/or Hachi, or just turn off his drat gameboy, if he has any sense whatsoever? Or just park a Recon or AA on his HQ, and laugh at your wasted tag power.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Friend Commuter posted:

If you actually go into a match using Eagle and Sami, wouldn't the other guy bring Sasha and/or Hachi, or just turn off his drat gameboy, if he has any sense whatsoever? Or just park a Recon or AA on his HQ, and laugh at your wasted tag power.

In three turns, you can probably manage to destroy whatever's on their HQ.

Colin/Sasha or Sonja/Kanbei do trump Eagle/Sami pretty hard though. Also Hachi/Sensei if you just give no cares.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Friend Commuter posted:

Or you can just wreck them with earlier and more frequent dual strikes. It takes forever to charge that combo.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Sasha particularly wrecks it, though. For just two stars, she can destroy the opponent's charge in an instant; I think it's something like 10% of their current charge for every 5000 funds Sasha has. Short of the opponent being asleep, there's pretty much no way Sami or Eagle can get off their tag power if they're up against Sasha. Market Crash is LUDICROUSLY overpowered for what it costs.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mission 20: Enigma as Max (or "Teapot Dome")

Longest update so far, this one. Here's hoping it's a fun one, though.

Howdy, Sonja! How y'all doing?
I've finally got our foe by the tail. I need you to convey some intel to Andy and his friends.
And what are you gonna be doing in the meanwhile, darlin'?
I need to survey the situation. Don't worry, I won't do anything foolish. Father warned me to take care.

The phrase "tempting fate" springs to mind.

You wouldn't be trying to pull the wool over my eyes, would you?
Of course not. You'll go, won't you?
Well, I reckon I have to. Stay put now, I'll be right back.
Grit's always been more useful than me... (sigh)

I dunno, you've managed to get to the bottom of all this nonsense and convince Eagle of what's going on. Still, why do I get the feeling that Sonja's going to try to be "useful"?

Anyway, here's Max, ready to start smashing things up. Now, about ten years ago when I first heard about Sturm, thanks to looking at a walkthough of the game (yes, I know, I know. I'd like to think I've reformed since), I built up a mental picture of him looking like a more serious version of Olaf or something. What I got instead was...

... this. Words cannot describe how shocking and funny I found this. I was going to be fighting a man with a teapot for a head. In AW2 they changed Sturm to look more intimidating in a Darth-Vaderish sort of way, but here we have... well. Compared with Grit and Drake staring into your soul, this is a walk in the park.

Still, at least he has a kick-rear end theme song that I'm sure many you have been waiting for. It's not my personal favourite (Sami takes that award) but it is excellent.

Day 1

I guess that's our mystery foe.
If we beat him, do you think my clone will vanish, too?

Well I don't know really, I mean it's a question of ontological inertia...

Yep. I don't think there's any doubt about it.

Oh. Well that's that settled.

We're counting on you, Paul!

No pressure then.

Think of this as Advance Wars 1's "final exam" mission, testing you out on everything you've learnt so far. We've got land, sea and air, we've got bases of all three types to fight over and eventually (especially with Max) it turns into a good old-fashioned steamroller. It's a bit longer than your typical AW1 mission (although nowhere near as long as the one coming up!), feeling more like an AW2 mission in terms of scope. Should be fun.

In any map like this, it's important to seize the means of production (# The people's flag is deepest orange / I can't think of a rhyme for orange #, etc.) as soon as possible. So we'll be sending out the transports to grab the bases and port circled in green. The airport will be a little trickier - we'll have to fight our way through Sturm's navy to get to it, with only a submarine to work with. On the plus side, it is a Max submarine, and Sturm's got no cruisers. As long as we keep from being spotted, we should be able to take those botes down one at a time. Eventually we'll need to take down the defensive fighter up there with a cruiser, at which point we can start churning out bombers to really put Sturm under the cosh.

Now then, a lot of transport-loading action to start with. First let's load an infantry and mech into our lander, and send it off to grab the base and port to the east. Once again I've got be a bit canny with what I drop off where: the infantry can reach the port from where I've dropped it, but the mech wouldn't be able to.

Sub moves up to give the lander some cover, and my APC and T copter load up and head out as well. Since it's not really realistic to try grabbing that airport with all these fighters and battleships around just yet, I'll just send the T copter mech to grab some cities.

Shifting everything else down, and building an infantry unit. Yes, I know I can afford a tank and it's Max, but hey, early game, gotta get that stuff captured. I might be able to leapfrog these two infantry units and the APC downfield to get to the base faster.

Not got much to say, have you, Teapot Dome?

Day 2

He's got plenty to move, though. And look how far it's moved: despite the heavily broken terrain, his stuff's quite a bit downfield already. That's just one of the abilities of our newest and final CO...

Paul.Power's CO Notes: Sturm Sturm's Theme :rock:
In AW1 Campaign, Sturm gets a boost to attack (most sources I've read say +20%, DTaeKim at one point said it was +30%. :shrug: ) but a -20% penalty to defence, making him someone you very much want to get first strike against. It's quite tough to get that first strike though, because one big thing about Sturm is that he doesn't suffer movement penalties from terrain. Forests and reefs? No big deal. Mountains and rivers? Well, his tanks can't go over them, but his infantry travel through them at normal speed. Plains? Pfft, please. It's really something than can catch you off guard if you're not careful. As for Sturm's CO Power, well... I'm not going to tell you about it just yet. Don't want to spoil the surprise.

Background/Personality: We've finally caught up with "him". Meet Sturm, the final boss of AW1 and AW2. Apparently he's some sort of otherworldly invader? It's kind of difficult to pin stuff down about him - heck, the only reason we can call him "him" is because that's what everyone in-game calls him. Anyway, Sturm's grand plan this game was to make clones of Andy (why Andy? Max clones would be pretty much unstoppable at this point) and send them out to fight the other nations with the goal of causing them all to get pissed off at Orange Star. After that, I guess it's a case of Step 3: Profit, but I suppose he'd have rolled in once everyone was weakened or something. Yer typical final boss, all dark and forboding and "You fools!" and stuff. The teapot spoils the effect a bit, though.

Anyway, let's get these infantry down here. No real chance for a "leapfrog" just yet (where the infantry at the back gets into the APC and uses it to get extra distance), but I should be able to do one next turn.

By the port, I get to capturing and use my lander to spot one of Sturm's subs. It's pretty suicidal for the lander, as it's now in battleship range. But it's mostly a case of either die to the battleship or die to the sub, and at least this way we can kill the sub. Because of Sturm's high attack power, we'll want to distract him from attacking our strong units as much as possible - get ready to see a lot of abuse.

Anyway, time to assault this sub. With Max vs. Sturm, 55% matchups (probably the game's most common value for attacks, especially when a unit attacks one of the same type) become 98% ones - which I think works out as a 4 in 5 chance of a one-hit kill? Pretty nice, certainly.

And down goes the sub.

Mech captures city, T copter goes to see if there's anything useful it can be doing up north, and the cavalcade continues making its way across the bridge (this turn, I do build a tank).

Lander goes down to Sturm's attack bonus as predicted, and... is that smoke coming out of his "mouth?"

Yep. I'll leave you guys to make your own maruijana jokes.

Day 3

Meanwhile the T copter and capturing units have attracted the attention of Sturm's air force. Hmm. With no AA cover nearby, this could get messy.

But let's work on clearing up the seas first. Lander avenged with another 98% one-hit-kill, properties captured.

Back on the main front, we've got a recon to deal with. A light tank copes with it more than handily.

And here's where I do a bit of leapfrogging, putting the rear infantry into the APC while the front infantry has to walk. Not going to try grabbing the base just yet, though. Best to wait for Sturm to go for it first, then attack him.

The other tanks roll upfield, and I crank out my second medium tank.

Now then, I've got a chance to deal with at least one fighter here, although it requires a T copter sacrifice. We can draw a fighter out with it, then wail on the fighter with the AA and/or missiles.

And oh yeah I'd better move this rocket launcher I guess?

Note that even though we've done a lot of damage to Sturm, his power meter hasn't filled at all. Yeah, he doesn't get to use his CO Power this mission. Probably just as well, because it's nasty. You'll see why when we get to it. Anyway, with no CO Powers to worry about, this mission we can go all-out on Sturm without worrying about doing too much damage or anything like that. Pretty ideal for Max, really.

Anyway, there goes the T copter, and an infantry unit falls to bomber fire as well. Hmm. I get the feeling I might be losing a lot of units this mission...

APC at least manages to survive its attack, thanks to the city defence bonus.

Day 4

The good news is, our power meter's now full.

And for once we're in an excellent position to get some use out of it straight away!

Time to cue up the Batman sound-effects.

KAPOW!

SMAAASH!

KERRUNCH! Note that all these units are now sitting in range of Sturm's rockets. Could be nasty, but luckily we have the effect to protect us (many, many transports are going to die during the making of this update).

Let's follow up all that tank carnage by dislodging Sturm's infantry from its base-capturing attempts.

And bring the rocket launcher up, too. Not that it's likely to see much use, but you never know.

Time to switch focus to the north. Mech attacks mech, and I build another one - chiefly to stop Sturm blocking the base with one of his units. As a similar anti-base-blocking measure, I bring my sub back to port - where it can also pick up some more fuel and ammo.

Back at HQ, there's that fighter that decided it wanted to destroy my T copter.

Max's AA makes short work of it. Won't even need to use the missile launcher.

Medium tank moves up, and I build another APC in the hope of luring the bomber into the waiting arms of my AA.

Let's end this busy turn with another bit of footsoldier combat, as my last mech picks on an infantry unit.

. For those keeping count, I've now lost all my original transports.

A mech gets it in the neck from that bomber, too. But we still control the area.

Day 5

Oh come on now Sturm, how is that even remotely good chokepoint management. I know I smashed up all your armour last turn, but you could at least try putting the infantry in front of the rocket launcher.

As it stands, it's time to bring down the hammer. 188%, good grief.

After that medium tank marmalisation, my light tank follows through by killing the infantry.

I guess ultimately it didn't matter about the poor chokepoint placement, since both units would have fallen under Max's tank treads anyway, but it's just one of those little things.

See now that's more like it as a chokepoint. Although I suspect we aren't even going to need our rockets just yet.

Enough of vehicles for now, let's check in on the mechs.

Looking good, but that bomber's still a threat. Can't really just deploy an AA though, because then the bomber'll just get first strike on it. We need a diversion. Hmm.

Unfortunately, this diversion doesn't quite work - the APC's just out of bomber range. We'll work something out, though.

Another mech falls to Sturm's bomber.

And our front tank takes a hammering too.

Day 6

This is starting to get frustrating. I've got a plan, though.

Sub out of the port, lander built, infantry into the lander, APC built. The lander's for getting to the airport island, the APC is... well, . It might just survive a bomber shot sitting on the base - and if it does, that'll buy us the time to get an AA out.

3HP tank gets away from the front lines, and will be heading for repairs on one of the cities around here.

Meanwhile I take the opportunity to remind Sturm that while he can dish it out, he sure as hell can't take it.

Can't quite take this T copter out in one hit, but 80% is really good going for a medium tank targetting a T copter.

Everyone's sitting in range of that lurking bomber...

... but that's okay, we've taken out APC Insurance.

Day 7

Ugh, reefs. I know the map designers wanted to showcase Sturm's abilities here, but it doesn't make life easy for us. The lander's also got to find a way to navigate through Sturm's bomber/submarine gauntlet.

Well, sort of. We can get rid of the submarine fairly easily, after all.

Which makes life easier for the lander. And we can finally get the AA built, with the 3HP APC to decoy for it (now I think about it, the lander's safe anyway because of the APC. But we've got to keep up appearances. Or something).

Down south, the infantry do infantry things as we consider our options.

Options like blowing up a T copter and an AA with overpowered tanks.

It does mean leaving medium tanks in range of that artillery, though.

Still, we can take a hit from an arty, right?

... right?

And there goes the APC. It did its job (okay, even I think the crying APC's overplayed by now).

Day 8

All right, enough of this nonsense.

Let's see just how much damage we can d-

-o?

Ahahahaha.

And even at 4HP, Max's medium tanks are still a serious proposition.

Speaking of "ahahahaha", we've got power to spare as we finally get round to taking down this bomber.

Submarine gets rid of Sturm's last starting naval unit. Just as he builds another submarine, but still, going well there.

Lander manages to both get away from the sub and deliver its passenger to the airport.

Finally some indirect action. Rockets don't get much use with Max in charge, but here we've got a chance to fire at something.

The rocket's going to be setting the tempo for an infantry war over this mountain range.

And we'll crank out some more infantry. I've lost a lot of units this mission, but we've got enough properties that an infantry spam should fix our technique score.

Diving sub alert.

Day 9

Lander does its best to get rid of that sub, and I deploy a cruiser to take care of it. That cruiser'll be handy for getting rid of Sturm's airport-guarding fighter, too.

Anyway, what's on the menu today?

Well, we've got mashed APC and scrambled rockets.

Followed by fried missiles and diced infantry.

Well, it beats Smackdown Soup.

For dessert, creamed fighter.

More infantry-spamming for technique.

It's a bad time to be a medium tank, though. There goes the 4HP one :(.

Day 10

Even with that medium tank down, though, we've still got a decent number of tanks in the tank. If you follow me.

First let's get revenge on the tank and mech that took out the 4HP middie.

I was actually pretty lucky taking out the tank - 80% expected damage against a 9HP unit. Fun stuff.

Medium tank finishes off the 3HP rocket launcher, while my own rocket launcher deals with Sturm's AA over the mountains.

With the AA crippled, that gives our infantry swarm a bit of reassurance.

Allowing them to keep crossing into the mountains and remove Sturm's infantry down there.

Big numbers once more as my cruiser deals with Sturm's sub.

My own sub moves in to block up his port. It's a bit low on fuel, so I deploy another APC - this time not as a decoy, but to load into the lander so it can go over and fuel the sub.

Sturm's AA carries on gamely, but I've got the high ground.

Day 11

Starting fairly low-key by moving my cruiser towards Sturm's remaining fighter, while the sub, with nothing nearby that can threaten it, surfaces to conserve fuel.

Back on the ground, we've got an AA to finish off.

There we go. With the coast clear, this mass of infantry can keep rolling forwards.

Tank gets rid of missile launcher...

Lander loads up with the APC (to refuel the sub) and an infantry (to capture the port) and heads out.

Now then, Sturm's HQ units. We've already left something sitting inside medium tank range - it's doomed, but at least it can act as a lure. My own middie moves up to act as the snare.

Infantry spam continues, and my reserve tanks keep moving upfield.

Eesh. The tank did just survive, but eesh.

Day 12

And Sturm actually pulls off something kinda clever by blocking my healthy tanks out with his APC.

Well, kinda clever. The APC goes down in one hit, allowing me to land a good hit on the medium tank.

In addition, the 1HP tank gets out of there. We've got reinforcements coming.

Down goes the final fighter. And with no fighters left, you know what that means...

... MAX BOMBER TIME!

*sniff* so beautiful. And the lander drops its troops off for supply/capture purposes.

Infantry keep rolling forwards, looking to provide distractions for Sturm's rocket launcher.

And the tanks and rockets head north.

Sturm's still got a few tricks up his sleeve, though. Infantry reduced to 1HP, and his medium tank manages to take out my retreating 1HP tank.

Day 13

Hmm. You might have noticed that I didn't use Max Force last turn.

This looks like a good opportunity, though. As it stands, my bomber can't reach that medium tank.

But with Max Force, it can! And it can do crazy overkill damage to boot.

That middie's been something of a pain, but at last we can get rid of it.

Max Force also gives me the movement range to roll in and take out Sturm's rocket launcher (does leave me vulnerable to his artillery, though...). And, thanks to a bit of a derp moment taking screenshots, I don't have a post-attack screen for my light tank attacking Sturm's bridge tank. Sorry about that. Hopefully the dotted line is enough of an indication of what happens.

Hopefully this is, too.

Main reason I didn't get round to taking that screenshot was because I was far too excited about deploying my second bomber :).

Infantry take out infantry.

And we've got the area between the mountain range and the river pretty much under control now.

The vehicles have to take the bridge, though.

And once more, Sturm's arty provides some nasty resistance.

Day 14

Isn't really going to stop us, though, not now we're well into the endgame.

Bomber smashes up infantry...

... and my tank takes off most of this AA's hit points.

Even the 4HP middie gets to help out, knocking the artillery down to half health.

And my 9HP tank gets to do plenty of damage to this mech.

With the infantry preventing escape to the west, maybe we can finish this off next turn?

Sturm's at least going to do everything he can to stop that.

Day 15

Right then. Bombers first.

Down goes the annoying arty that's been beating up our tanks.

This is about as overkill as it gets, 192% damage to kill a 1HP mech. But it's unfortunately the only thing this bomber can reach. And it gets the job done.

Tanks tanks tanks.

But I make a mistake in here somewhere.

Because I've left it so that the only units can hit that final APC on Sturm's HQ are the 9HP tank and the 9HP infantry... and they can only hit it from the same square, the one to the west of it. If I'd attacked with different units from different locations, I think I might have been able to win this this turn, but...

Ah well. I think I read somewhere that the speed limit for Perfect on this mission is 16 days, which is precisely the amount we'll take. So it shouldn't cost me anything. Still a little annoying, though.

Speaking of score, here's hoping I've spammed enough infantry to make sure I don't get penalised on Technique for losing all those units.

Day 16

Job done.

Doubt it. We've only faced him once, and he hasn't even used his CO Power yet.

It looks like it's finally...

'Course, no-one pays attention to me. Grit, help me out here.

Andy!
Hey, it's Grit! Long time, no see.

"Those sure were some fun battles we had earlier, huh?" etc.

No time for that now, Junior. I found the snake's hidin' place!
Huh? Then this isn't...

Well, you know, the guy who can make fully functional clones might just have made a clone of himself...

That's just the tip o' the ol' boy's tail. Hurry! Sonja's in danger!

Oh boy. I knew Sonja was tempting fate...

Perfect score, woo. Enigma! is pretty much the perfect way to show just how crazily broken AW1 Max can be (as if you didn't know that already). In many ways, this mission set the template for how a lot of AW2 plays out, with long, base-heavy missions that can take a while to grind out but can be very satisfying as they move the focus away from tactical placement and towards a view centred on strategy and logistics.

We're almost at the end now, but there's a heck of a lot more behind-the-scenes work to get through before we can go any further. I've got to play through Andy Times Two! twice more and Enigma! three more times before I'm ready for that. Still, in the meantime, we've got a bit more voting to get done. Remember this?

At the time it wasn't a vote, simply telling you what my grand plans for the endgame were. But now it is a vote. We've got to work out what order I'm going to play these four alternate-timeline Final Battles in. Each team has its own strengths and weaknesses, and some teams have more strengths/weaknesses than others. I'm going to leave you guys to work out what those strengths and weaknesses are, though (bear in mind that I've only actually beaten TFB before now as Andy/Max/Eagle and Andy/Grit/Drake, though, so who knows how the other two runs'll go).

So yes, votes please for Operation Golden Ending, Operation Nap Patrol, Operation Dunderhead or Operation Orange Star, with a first preference and a second preference.

Whichever team we end up using first, tune in next time for...

... standard final boss banter!

... finally have someone halfway-sensible controlling the units of Blue Moon, Green Earth and Yellow Comet!

... and a captive Sonja getting all Negative Nancy on us!

But then, maybe she has a point. Sturm does have one more trick up his sleeve, after all. Will he have the last laugh? Will the guy with pink smoke coming out of his mouth yet have the merriest toke? Did I just try to do a silly anagram joke? Should I stop asking questions?

Yeah, probably.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 13, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That was beautiful.

First: Nap Patrol
Second: Dunderhead

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'll go for Golden Ending first and Nap Patrol second since you've done those before and because the other two are either hilariously nonsensical (Olaf and Kanbei of all people in the final battle) or suitably symbolic (finishing the same way it all began, with Orange Star). One way or another it'll make for an entertaining way to end it.

Until Hard Campaign of course, that thing's really something and you should probably make mini-updates consisting of what went wrong with your failed attempts. Godspeed if you try to get through that, especially right after the normal campaign. I never had the patience, there's only so much AW I can take at once.

On a final note

I always imagine him happily tooting like a train when I see that and it's adorable. :allears:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 16, 2012

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Kanfy posted:

I always imagine him happily tooting like a train when I see that and it's adorable. :allears:

Now I really want to change my avatar to that with :toot:.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Operation Golden Ending and then Operation Nap Patrol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nap Patrol, then Dunderhead

Because foreign COs are the best COs

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Patrol, then Dunderhead.

I'd save Golden Ending for last because of the extra mission after it.

SKBasis
Oct 27, 2007

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a hamster balancing Kirby on a parasol -- forever.
College Slice
I can't help but look at the design and see "Snifit".

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
Golden Ending first, then Nap Patrol.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Arctic Cress posted:

Nap Patrol, then Dunderhead.

I'd save Golden Ending for last because of the extra mission after it.

I'm pretty sure he'll show all the content regardless.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Dunderhead, then Nap Patrol

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dunderhead, then Nap Patrol

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Nap Patrol first, then Golden Ending.

Honoring your AW2 LP, then using the BEST people.

It's weird, Grimm in AWDS is almost exactly like Sturm unitwise: Sturm has 120/80 units, Grimm has 130/80 units. Their CO Powers are different though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SweaterGear posted:

Operation Golden Ending and then Operation Nap Patrol

My vote goes to these. :3:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Orange Star, then Nap Patrol II I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Operation Golden Ending, then Operation Dunderhead

Seriously, how are we supposed to take Sturm seriously for this game? He's a snifit that found an M. Bison costume.

• Locked thread