Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

freezepops posted:

I imagine its due to cost, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel simply charged more money to use the Intel MAC than Broadcom does for an entire IC. Its not driver related as Intel NICs have working OSX drivers and the integrated Intel ethernet works fine on my hackintosh without any effort on my part.

I was thinking this as well, and it's a reason a lot of motherboards include a Realtek IC at the expense of a PCIe lane (well, not really I guess because you consume one of the eight for the 82579 PHY anyways). But I figured that Apple of all people would not really care that much about the added BOM cost of an Intel PHY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Does anyone have benchmarks for the 2.3 vs 2.6 handy? I'm trying to figure out if the CPU spec bump is worth the extra cash.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I'm trying to figure out what to do, I have a $2,500 employee allowance for equipment this year that I gotta use by November. I've been wanting the retina screen because I deal with massive spreadsheets all day while traveling to and from clients, and having a display like would make life a lot easier. Although as soon as I add in the warranty, tax an additional software licenses (Windows, Office, etc) to it, I'll have basically blown my dumb poo poo budget (in addition to my employee allowance) before summer begins :unsmith:

Is it reasonable to assume there might be a small update to the retina after the summer craze/promo ends?

tl;dr I have to use my employee allowance before the year end and I need a laptop, should I get the retina now or hold off and see if they have a update between now and November that makes the high end specs slightly more affordable

movax
Aug 30, 2008

morothar posted:

Does anyone have benchmarks for the 2.3 vs 2.6 handy? I'm trying to figure out if the CPU spec bump is worth the extra cash.

I'm almost certain it won't be worth the cash. What is your primary application for the machine? Is there anything before the CPU that could bottleneck you (I/O, memory, etc).

e: ^^ don't think you should hold out hope bro. Maybe Back-to-School will give you free App Store $$$?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I'm trying to figure out what to do, I have a $2,500 employee allowance for equipment this year that I gotta use by November. I've been wanting the retina screen because I deal with massive spreadsheets all day while traveling to and from clients, and having a display like would make life a lot easier. Although as soon as I add in the warranty, tax an additional software licenses (Windows, Office, etc) to it, I'll have basically blown my dumb poo poo budget (in addition to my employee allowance) before summer begins :unsmith:

Is it reasonable to assume there might be a small update to the retina after the summer craze/promo ends?

tl:dr I have to use my employee allowance before the year end and I need a laptop, should I get the retina now or hold off and see if they have a update between now and November that makes the high end specs slightly more affordable

The screen is not going to provide much benefit to your spreadsheets. The pixels are doubled in applications.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spaceship posted:

The screen is not going to provide much benefit to your spreadsheets. The pixels are doubled in applications.

They are? I thought it would render the desktop as if it was a 2880x1800 canvas, much like people with 2560x1600 displays see.

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O

spaceship posted:

You can adjust it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

movax posted:

They are? I thought it would render the desktop as if it was a 2880x1800 canvas, much like people with 2560x1600 displays see.

no - it's more like the iphone 4/4s or the ipad 3 afaik

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

movax posted:

2880 x 1800 would be completely unusable on a 15" screen. The question is whether the 1920x1200 mode looks bad or not.

I might consider trying to sell and upgrade to the new 13" Air with an 8GB RAM option, but even then I'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

El Duke Silver posted:

the MBP:TNG is pretty much a 15" Air, unless you were looking for a 15" Air that followed the Air price structure.

I'm a student, so the TNG is pretty much out of reach for me :( . Really like having a 15" screen, though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sulk posted:

2880 x 1800 would be completely unusable on a 15" screen. The question is whether the 1920x1200 mode looks bad or not.

I might consider trying to sell and upgrade to the new 13" Air with an 8GB RAM option, but even then I'm not sure if it's worth the time and effort.

Man, I might just go to the Fruit Stand later this week to play with it in person so I don't sound like a moron and actually research what I post about some more. :downs:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I wonder if the screen defaults to 2880x1800 running windows in bootcamp

There's your excel right there

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Is there any word on how many gigs of ram the non-Retina MBPs can handle if you chose to upgrade yourself?

I notice you can upgrade the MBPTNG to 16GB but all of the 15" MBPs have no option to go beyond 8GB.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Okay, well last question. If I go with the 256 gig size :smithicide:, will there be a lot of lag if I use a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt external?

I need 16 gigs of ram because the files are that massive, but If I upgrade to the next model, will the additional processing power make that much of a difference in performance? My work mostly centers around massive spread sheets, excel and VBA. If spending $500 will net me give me a noticeable performance bump/time saved, or increase the longevity then I'll begrudgingly spend it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

movax posted:

Man, I might just go to the Fruit Stand later this week to play with it in person so I don't sound like a moron and actually research what I post about some more. :downs:

Yeah, I'll definitely see it in person within the next couple days. I'm honestly surprised that 8GB is a BTO option, though, and not in the better config.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Okay, well last question. If I go with the 256 gig size :smithicide:, will there be a lot of lag if I use a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt external?

I need 16 gigs of ram because the files are that massive, but If I upgrade to the next model, will the additional processing power make that much of a difference in performance? My work mostly centers around massive spread sheets, excel and VBA. If spending $500 will net me give me a noticeable performance bump/time saved, or increase the longevity then I'll begrudgingly spend it.

Disk access will be slower, yes. This may be OK though, if your access is sequential instead of lots of random I/O. It sounds like you mostly need memory over anything else, so I'd spend money on RAM and/or disk upgrades before upping the CPU by 300MHz.

Remember, for awhile increasing RAM was the way to prolong the useful life of a computer. Now it's throwing in a SSD. Lots of machines suffer from RAM and I/O bottlenecks before the raw CPU power starts affecting things. The biggest CPU decision to make these days is how many cores.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Thanks for the help, I am off to blow my summer budget.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

movax posted:

Disk access will be slower, yes. This may be OK though, if your access is sequential instead of lots of random I/O. It sounds like you mostly need memory over anything else, so I'd spend money on RAM and/or disk upgrades before upping the CPU by 300MHz.

Remember, for awhile increasing RAM was the way to prolong the useful life of a computer. Now it's throwing in a SSD. Lots of machines suffer from RAM and I/O bottlenecks before the raw CPU power starts affecting things. The biggest CPU decision to make these days is how many cores.

An external SSD over Thunderbolt is not going to be limited speed wise any more than an internal one unless I'm mistaken (not sure about USB 3.0). The whole point of Thunderbolt is to have the full bus speed available externally.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

flavor posted:

An external SSD over Thunderbolt is not going to be limited speed wise any more than an internal one unless I'm mistaken (not sure about USB 3.0). The whole point of Thunderbolt is to have the full bus speed available externally.

Eh, I assumed he'd have platter storage on the other end of TB. But yeah, a SSD shouldn't suffer a noticeable penalty if it's sitting on a SATA 3 controller behind a TB link.

USB 3.0 will suffer a bit, SSD or not, because it'll depend on the DMA implementation of the controller, I think.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I really like the physical appearance of the Air but I'm not looking to make the jump to OS X; would the Air make a decent Windows 7/Window 8 machine? I read some reviews on the 2011 Air running Windows 7 and it didn't sound horrible, but I thought there might be some goons who could provide better insight into such a setup.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Welp, bought a retina MBP since they look loving amazing. This thing should provide some good motivation to start finding some paid DJing gigs at least!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spaceship posted:

If the fonts are rendered 'right', in theory you could just zoom out to 50% and it'd be all good, right?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm really, really anxious to see an iFixIt teardown of this.

I wonder how many chips are on the other side? Is that SSD or RAM in the middle?

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

If the fonts are rendered 'right', in theory you could just zoom out to 50% and it'd be all good, right?

Yes in theory,

Most of the problem i have when I'm coding is resolution of text, the smaller the font, the slightly harder it becomes to make out things clearly BECAUSE of low PPI ... I'm positive that higher PPI will solve this.

I say this because i have a 2011 MBA, and also a 27" 1080p work monitor. When coding on the 13" monitor the fonts are clearer at smaller sizes because of the higher PPI on my 13" air compared to the 27" monitor.

Sometimes its plain horrible to use that monitor, the PPI is just HORRIBLE.

Bob Morales posted:

I wonder how many chips are on the other side? Is that SSD or RAM in the middle?

It's ram, also to its lower right is the harddrive and it looks built INTO the motherboard... so goodbye upgrade

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design/

There's a better picture around midway down the page. The SSD seems to be removable.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I kinda hope that's true. I ended up ordering the base model retina MBP with 16GB of RAM and a T/bolt ethernet adapter.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I love timing sometimes. I finally get money and, hey, new MBP! Is the 2.6 -> 2.7 worth it if I am using it as a desktop replacement, and likely to have to stick with it for a refresh or two?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mr Man posted:

Yes in theory,

Most of the problem i have when I'm coding is resolution of text, the smaller the font, the slightly harder it becomes to make out things clearly BECAUSE of low PPI ... I'm positive that higher PPI will solve this.

I say this because i have a 2011 MBA, and also a 27" 1080p work monitor. When coding on the 13" monitor the fonts are clearer at smaller sizes because of the higher PPI on my 13" air compared to the 27" monitor.

Sometimes its plain horrible to use that monitor, the PPI is just HORRIBLE.

I always forget how razor sharp Retina text is, then I look at my iPad. If I could have that kind of display in my Terminal windows or code... I could probably go down 4 font sizes.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

Shin-chan posted:

There's a better picture around midway down the page. The SSD seems to be removable.

The flash/SSD is the little chips on the left side, below the fan. What about that looks removable to you?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Shin-chan posted:

B...but... my battery! I thought they used to be so proud of the battery being like one big unit and now it's these 6 little ones. :qq:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
That's how the battery is on the iPad as well IIRC.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Shin-chan posted:

Why does that page call the SSD simply "Flash." Is it just marketing jargon?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Seems like it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Bryne posted:

The flash/SSD is the little chips on the left side, below the fan. What about that looks removable to you?

Looks removable to me. The silver part just to the right of the chips is the socket. You can see the edge of the PCB as well if you look closely. The socket looks similar to the one in iFixit's teardown of the Air. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Solid-State-Drive/6371/2

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

Boris Galerkin posted:

SSD kind of implies that it's an enclosed drive that you could swap out or replace with another drive, which isn't really the case. It's just onboard flash storage more like your iPhone or iPad than the HDD in your desktop.

[edit] Okay, I may be wrong about the replaceability.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I saw somewhere else someone mentioned that the stores actually have the new retinas in stock. Anyone get one from there yet?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

hannibal posted:

Looks removable to me. The silver part just to the right of the chips is the socket. You can see the edge of the PCB as well if you look closely. The socket looks similar to the one in iFixit's teardown of the Air. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Solid-State-Drive/6371/2

Agreed, it looks just like the MBA hard drive.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Welp, just bought a MBPR to replace my 2010 15". I've been waiting for a better screen (IPS) and more RAM as I do photography and use VMs at work. 768GB/16GB here I come! :D

I am hoping the improved cooling system makes for better lap temperatures. My current MacBook can't be used on my lap without some sort of lap 'desk'. Too much heat!

Looks like ship times are 2-3 weeks out regardless of the configuration.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flavor posted:

B...but... my battery! I thought they used to be so proud of the battery being like one big unit and now it's these 6 little ones. :qq:

When and why would they be proud of the battery being in one piece, especially after the unibody redesign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel

Comrade Flynn posted:

I saw somewhere else someone mentioned that the stores actually have the new retinas in stock. Anyone get one from there yet?

I asked support and they said they didn't know when retail stores would be getting them. I'm going to call in the morning to see what's up.

jink posted:

Looks like ship times are 2-3 weeks out regardless of the configuration.

I'm getting 5-7 business days to ship on the Canadian store.