Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kastein posted:

I now return this thread to horrible mechanical failures:

friend of a friend decided it was a good idea to break things off with his (ex-)girlfriend via phone call, while she was driving his jeep. He heard the engine revving in the background while she yelled about it and then a BANG.

She apparently didn't realize engine damage was a possibility if you pin the throttle, was stuck at a light, got out and tried to push it out of the intersection by herself, then rolled it over her foot, breaking it, and threw a tantrum in the middle of the intersection. That got her a free trip to jail for disorderly conduct :master:

:golfclap: bravo! Both of them sound like incredibly intelligent people.
What jeep was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
An XJ as usual I believe. Not sure.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
1.8 BP swapped festiva. I err..Freed a few gears from the confines of the case.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

obso posted:

Driving down the road, heard a bang followed by the familiar smell of gear grease.

My samurai decided it had too many parts in the trans. Found all this scattered along the road.

Nothing a little JB weld can't fix (and a generous dollop of silicone later to stop the leaks).

Those rods/pins were apparently unnecessary because its been a couple weeks now of driving it every day and it seems no worse for wear.

Have you tried reverse lately?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Amazing and horrifying 8 minutes of street cars and motorcycles wiping out on the Nurburgring Nordschleife back in 1970. Engine bays are vomiting up their contents, glass pours out of frames and drivers are ejected like James Bond just pressed his little red button.

The only safety gear present: a condom in the cameraman's wallet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

Does upholstery unhook that easily in modern cars?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

cursedshitbox posted:

1.8 BP swapped festiva. I err..Freed a few gears from the confines of the case.

Just swapped an F5M into my son's Aspire because the E-series couldn't stand up behind the B3.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Beach Bum posted:

Have you tried reverse lately?

From those parts and his description, it sounds more like he blew out neutral.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its just a shop beater, I'll source a F series for it someday, but until then eating E series transmissions is what it will do!

I admit, it was satisfying to blow it apart.

Here's a 2003 Discovery I replaced the engine on...They complained that it "just shut off"

It was likely one of the stupid oil pump failure trucks but it was still spectacular.

that is camshaft and pushrods you see in the oil pan.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

atomicthumbs posted:

I think you're right. I just went out and put it in neutral and it didn't go anywhere :( I do have to say though, the Samurai ranks right up there with Jeep 4.0's and Toyota Hilux's as tough bastards to kill.

Have some pictures (Hope I haven't posted these before, this threads been going a long time). Here's what happens when you feed a turbo Z a little too much NAWWZZZ.

Conrod soup.

Custom 3-piece crankshaft.

DefaultPeanut posted:

What the hell is that thing hanging? A Condenser?
Yeah, you can see it hanging off the back of the alternator in the first picture (80's electronics!)

obso fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 12, 2012

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
OK, so it's not as graphic as 90% of this thread but it very nearly caused a Horrible Sphincter Failure:

The wheel bearing went from fine to screaming to scattered all over the interstate within 2 miles. The horrible weight distribution, stiff springs, and huge rear sway bar kept that corner from dragging so I was able to tricycle my way to a controlled stop.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slack3r posted:

Comeon.. Its a 4.0.. Fill it with diesel, run it till warm, drain, fill with 6 qts 10w40 and a new filter. Maybe rinse off the outside with a bucket of hot water for your "fancy paint"...

As a generator unit, I imagine it will run until doomsday and beyond even without the "freshening up".

The only other rival would be a ChryCo Slant 6.
A Jeep I6 will run under any three of the following conditions: upside-down, underwater, without oil, without coolant. with sand instead of oil. A coworker of mine hydrolocked his XJ once, changed the oil, and it daily-drove it for a solid two weeks before the bent conrod left it.

Ford's 300 I6 and 302 V8 would be right up there. Really any ancient I6 is nigh-unkillable, but surprisingly a Ford 5.0 V8 can take a lot of abuse. I think I've told the story of my dad's work truck before, we tried to kill it so he could get a new one by running it without oil for so long that we got bored and poured A/C coil cleaner into the sump, and it still kept going. And my late '84 Crown Vic (finally had to scrap it after the city noticed it :(: ), which due to a combination of me being too poor to fix it with a job that required a lot of driving out in the sticks, and having massive cooling system leaks, had a blown head gasket for sure and possibly a cracked block from running it until it seized from overheating, pouring cold water into it, and starting it back up several times. I finally decided to buy another car when the water started pouring out faster than I could pour it in, but it always started and ran like a champ after cooling off. I think the last can of super-mega-stop-leak I put it it after the aforementioned "probably cracked block" incident actually worked -- the next time I drove it (across town on four half-inflated tires when I moved house, between the '80s boat suspension and the flat tires that was one hell of a squishy ride), it ran fine. Sounded like a Cuisinart full of marbles, but didn't give me any trouble.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Placeholder for the pics of the 5.0 towncar I posted a way back when I moved to Seattle.

E: Keeps on ticking like a fine Swiss watch.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Totalled? Not on his watch.

Drove in under its own power for an oil change today.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I love how relatively clean & straight the outside is compared to the pack-of-hyenas interior.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DefaultPeanut posted:

Alternator RFI suppressor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

:cthulhu:

that's an air filter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We mount the air filter directly inside the turbo, for maximum efficiency and mad powr gainz!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

atomicthumbs posted:

Neutral isn't a gear, its a grouping of detents on the shift rods. He lost the detent hardware it looks like, so now the translation from the shift level to the sliding of the gears on the shafts to engage various gears is now not working correctly.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

DJ Commie posted:

Neutral isn't a gear, its a grouping of detents on the shift rods. He lost the detent hardware it looks like, so now the translation from the shift level to the sliding of the gears on the shafts to engage various gears is now not working correctly.

:what:
I though atomicthumbs was being sarcastic. Now if you are too, it blew right over my head. As far as I can tell the trans shifts exactly the way it did before (and neutral is still neutral). I drive the truck every day to different job sites for work. Best $400 I ever spent.

VVV photoshop?

obso fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 14, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I really want an explanation for this one.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Is that a bat?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That was my guess too. Goddamn.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
brake bats? wow. I'm not sure it tops the e30 guy who had a timing belt slip because there was a mouse in there (and trashed his head) but that is certainly unique.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I didn't realize bats came that small. All I've ever hit are little birds. :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I hit a bat once out hooning through the hills in my old E30. Poor little bastard never saw it coming.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

I hit a bat once out hooning through the hills in my old E30. Poor little bastard never saw it coming.

:fry:

edit:

Oh, hot car chicks.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 14, 2012

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

drat those shoes are mechanical failures.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The underbite on that one :barf:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Are we supposed to make fun of the attractive girl? :confused:

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

front wing flexing posted:

Are we supposed to make fun of the attractive girl? :confused:

Maybe she's a robot?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

HA. nice one.

I hit a bat a couple days ago:

At least he died happy.

The poor little guy smashed right into my windshield and got stuck in the wiper.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2012

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I forgot which thread I was in. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
holy hell, 23 thousand RPM?

bats are basically the size of a mouse with wings... I'm betting that one in the brake caliper decided to roost for the day in someone's wheel and didn't have time to get out of the way when they started driving.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

holy hell, 23 thousand RPM?

That had to make a hell of a noise.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

some texas redneck posted:

That had to make a hell of a noise.

I've had the pleasure of listening to old 100cc ICA motors that would twist up to ~20k or so. It sounds unnatural, even moreso than an F1 car.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oxbrain posted:

I forgot which thread I was in. :(

There was subsequently nothing left of the rider to recover.

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.

Savington posted:

I've had the pleasure of listening to old 100cc ICA motors that would twist up to ~20k or so. It sounds unnatural, even moreso than an F1 car.

My r/c car motor redlines at 32,000rpm. 3.0cc and a whopping 1.35hp@28,000rpm.

My contribution, my Sigma's old diff. ~250,000km of hard wear and this happened:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Those spider gears seem to have lost some legs :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I think you got some gear oil in your water :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE