Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lord of Sword posted:

All the alternatives I've tried don't have image resizing (diagonal drag resizes an image bigger or smaller or hides it completely). It's only one feature but I'm so used to it being there and it's the one I use most.
this right here is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Firefox 3.6 is slow, has a bunch of known (fixed) security issues and loads of other issues. Upgrade today and find a workaround for that feature. Why on earth is resizing images the thing you do most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lord of Sword posted:

All the alternatives I've tried don't have image resizing (diagonal drag resizes an image bigger or smaller or hides it completely). It's only one feature but I'm so used to it being there and it's the one I use most.

I use Image Zoom for this, hold down right mouse and the wheel zooms in. Not exactly the gesture but it works.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/image-zoom/?src=userprofile

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lord of Sword posted:

Firefox automatically updated to 13 a few days ago, but Mouse Gestures Redox doesn't work past 3.6, and I literally can't use Firefox without it. I'll try updating the drivers and see if that works.

You should be able to edit the maxVersion for the add-on and have everything work just fine. Find the .xpi in your profile folder, open it up (it's a renamed zip file), open install.rdf, and change the maxVersion to some huge number.

Note that by doing this, there's always the potential for things to break in hilarious ways, but it's worked for me for ages.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord of Sword posted:

This guy right here is the user that every developer hates the most.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

wooger posted:

this right here is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Firefox 3.6 is slow, has a bunch of known (fixed) security issues and loads of other issues. Upgrade today and find a workaround for that feature. Why on earth is resizing images the thing you do most?

It's the thing I use Mouse Gestures for most. It's surprisingly useful, especially the hide image feature (threads with a lot of images, huge sigs, the goatman etc). I can do without it, I just can't get used to not having it on other PCs, and 3.6 works fine otherwise.

Image Zoom looks like the next best thing though so I should probably upgrade to 13.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Lord of Sword posted:

It's the thing I use Mouse Gestures for most. It's surprisingly useful, especially the hide image feature (threads with a lot of images, huge sigs, the goatman etc). I can do without it, I just can't get used to not having it on other PCs, and 3.6 works fine otherwise.

Image Zoom looks like the next best thing though so I should probably upgrade to 13.

Mouse Gestures rock and is kind among gesture extensions

It is known

It is loving sad that the author is abandoning it (I wish someone else would take on the project)

Anyway, here's a version you can use on FF13 (it's the latest nightly beta): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21541480/mozgest.xpi

Protip: when you backup your Firefox profile you can create a backup of your extensions by zipping the contents of the folder and renaming the extension to .xpi

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Xander77 posted:

How do I get firefox to reload all the tabs when it restarts? It gives the appearance of reloading everything, but then (an hour or so later) you click through the tabs and only that reminds firefox to load the actual tab content.

Options (or Preferences, depending on platform)>Tabs>Don't load tabs until selected. The behaviour you're describing doesn't mean Firefox is "forgetting" to load the tabs - it's a way to keep memory use down and improve startup speed when resuming a session.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Is there a suggested in-browser PDF viewer add-on for Firefox 13 on Mac?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Haywood Japwnme posted:

Is there a suggested in-browser PDF viewer add-on for Firefox 13 on Mac?
The official Mozilla PDF Viewer extension, it runs in JavaScript with no native code so is much more secure than any other alternative. It's not the fastest for large documents and in some cases there are rendering errors, though I haven't seen it have trouble in some time so there's clearly been a lot of improvement.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Avenging Dentist posted:

You should be able to edit the maxVersion for the add-on and have everything work just fine. Find the .xpi in your profile folder, open it up (it's a renamed zip file), open install.rdf, and change the maxVersion to some huge number.

Note that by doing this, there's always the potential for things to break in hilarious ways, but it's worked for me for ages.

Alternately, just add the appropriate extensions.CheckCompatibility.<version> to about :config and set it to false. (The one for the current version is, obviously extensions.CheckCompatibility.13.0.) I only know about this because I'm still using a few old extensions with 13.0 - specifically bbCode (easily add bbCode or HTML tags to text boxes via the context menu) and Firefox Menu Buttons (adds a bunch of toolbar buttons you can use that duplicate items from the menus, like opening the options or page info dialogs.) I've been using that setting (or an extension that sets it for you) since at least 3.6.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Alereon posted:

The official Mozilla PDF Viewer extension, it runs in JavaScript with no native code so is much more secure than any other alternative. It's not the fastest for large documents and in some cases there are rendering errors, though I haven't seen it have trouble in some time so there's clearly been a lot of improvement.

Is there any way to get this to work with PDFs that are embedded in a webpage? This works great if the PDF is its own tab but if there's a PDF embedded in a webpage it just gives me a gray box and a message about missing plugins.

Firefox 13 on Ubuntu 12.04 for reference.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Options (or Preferences, depending on platform)>Tabs>Don't load tabs until selected. The behaviour you're describing doesn't mean Firefox is "forgetting" to load the tabs - it's a way to keep memory use down and improve startup speed when resuming a session.
Is that tool-options-tabs, because this is all I've got there:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

wooger posted:

Because more people use software to do what they want to do.

I am still on 3.6 because I need Gmail Manager to work unconditionally.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

kapalama posted:

Assuming you mean this GMail Manager, some people in the comments have posted versions tweaked to have compatibility maxVersions of 20.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

m2pt5 posted:

Assuming you mean this GMail Manager, some people in the comments have posted versions tweaked to have compatibility maxVersions of 20.

Thanks for the tip, (but)

For whatever reason, there is voodoo with Gmail Manager. Some people cannot get any tweaks to work once they update. It's not just a version check thing, it also has to do with stuff on Google's side which makes updates tricky. And it is not reducible to a common factor.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
After mucking around with GMail manager for a while, I just switched to WebMail Notifier, haven't had any problems since. Granted, I really don't know whether it has all the functionality of GMail Manager, but it does eveything I want.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kapalama posted:

Because more people use software to do what they want to do.

There are known security issues with that version, using old browsers is not wise. I have no idea why the Gmail Manager extension is so important to you, but there are tons of alternatives for most purposes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Is that tool-options-tabs, because this is all I've got there:

What version of Firefox are you using?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wooger posted:

There are known security issues with that version, using old browsers is not wise. I have no idea why the Gmail Manager extension is so important to you, but there are tons of alternatives for most purposes.

I am open to suggstions as to a replacement for Gmail Manager.

A bunch of people are given the handwringing those of use who use it go through when it stops working.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

kapalama posted:

I am open to suggstions as to a replacement for Gmail Manager.

Well what's the crucial feature that has kept you from the alternatives?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else getting lock-ups lately? Firefox has crashed twice for me today. That's the first time it's crashed for me in like 2 years. Could it be the new Flash update?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Well what's the crucial feature that has kept you from the alternatives?

There are no alternatives that monitor all the account and log in to whatever account you click on in a GMail window that I have seen.

There are monitors and mail checkers, but then you have to log into that account to read the mail.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

PirateBob posted:

Anyone else getting lock-ups lately? Firefox has crashed twice for me today. That's the first time it's crashed for me in like 2 years. Could it be the new Flash update?

Ever since firefox 13 and flash 11.3 got pushed I've been having crashing issues. It's usually just adobe flash player crashing so I have to reload the tab but it's still annoying when it was working fine in FF12.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapalama posted:

There are no alternatives that monitor all the account and log in to whatever account you click on in a GMail window that I have seen.

There are monitors and mail checkers, but then you have to log into that account to read the mail.

I've been doing this with http://webmailnotifier.mozdev.org/ for years. All I had to do was allow simultaneous google account sign on in my gmail and apps accounts. It monitors them all, and when i right click on the icon it gives me a menu of accounts to go to directly without needing to re-sign in.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kapalama posted:

Well, how many gmail accounts are you using? I know it's possible to be logged into a google apps account and a gmail account at the same time, with the right options.

Failing that, is there some reason you can't use a separate email client for some / all of these accounts?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What version of Firefox are you using?
The latest, I'm pretty sure. At least, it got updated a few weeks ago.

Eh, I'll go update it to version 13 just in case, see if that helps.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Xander77 posted:

The latest, I'm pretty sure. At least, it got updated a few weeks ago.

Eh, I'll go update it to version 13 just in case, see if that helps.

Try looking in Options -> General -> Startup.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

wooger posted:

Failing that, is there some reason you can't use a separate email client for some / all of these accounts?

The basic reason is that GMail's interface is the only mail interface that even comes close to making sense for me. I hate e-mail clients, and I hate the metaphor they use for displaying info, I hate local storage of data, etc.,etc.. Though to be fair, I have not looked at them for ever, because I hated them so much. Once Gmail showed up with conversations, search, and cloud storage, I stopped using clients.

Install Gentoo posted:

I've been doing this with http://webmailnotifier.mozdev.org/ for years. All I had to do was allow simultaneous google account sign on in my gmail and apps accounts. It monitors them all, and when i right click on the icon it gives me a menu of accounts to go to directly without needing to re-sign in.

Google multuple signin works for a bit, and then stops working, at inconvenient times, randomly logging me out of accounts on the page I am actually working on. The first time Gmail Manager stopped working I used WebMail Notifier, and it just did not do what I wanted it to do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Try looking in Options -> General -> Startup.
Oh. There's the "don't load tabs until selected" option, but I can't seem to click it. How do I change it?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's only active when you have
"When Firefox starts" set to "Show my windows and tabs from last time"

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Biodome posted:

Ever since firefox 13 and flash 11.3 got pushed I've been having crashing issues. It's usually just adobe flash player crashing so I have to reload the tab but it's still annoying when it was working fine in FF12.

Firefox appears to believe that resolving the longstanding memory issues in 12 were a regression, because as of 13 & 14, they're back with a fury. I can hardly keep two low-profile tabs open for more than 6 hours at a time without FF blowing up to chew up over 2GB of memory and become extremely unresponsive to things like 'clicking links' and 'opening new tabs'

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sauer kraut posted:

Something ugly is going on since I installed Flash 11.3 on Firefox 13.

Embedded videos like Youtube get all corrupted and squashed up when scrolling past them, gotta minimize/restore the window to fix it temporarily.
Needless to say it's very annoying when browsing these very forums.

Original

Thanks Flash

I'm getting this on both of my computers. I'm trying to find other reports of this bug, but I'm mostly finding complaints about Flash not working at all.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

I'm getting this on both of my computers. I'm trying to find other reports of this bug, but I'm mostly finding complaints about Flash not working at all.

Seems to happen when hardware acceleration is in use. Clear that option in Advanced settings and I don't get the tearing effect.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Seems to happen when hardware acceleration is in use. Clear that option in Advanced settings and I don't get the tearing effect.

I was noticing a tearing effect with youtube videos imbedded in forums as well, thought nothing anywhere near as serious as sauer kraut's screenshot. Turned off hardware acceleration and the tearing effect is gone. However, will this also disable HTML5's hardware acceleration? Is there a way to disable acceleration for Flash but keep it for HTML5?

Also, I noticed a few other oddities with flash. If I left tabs open with flash ads, after a while when I would come back to those tabs and all the flash ads would have the sad face "flash crashed". Another oddity was every once in a while when I would loading a link the browser would hang for a few seconds and a popup would alert me that Flash had crashed, I click cancel and the page would load but all flash ads on the page would have the sad face "flash is broke". Considering I only noticed the last two bugs with advertisements, I kinda liked those bugs. :) *since the last two items don't occur very often, I don't yet know if they are still present or not.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Colonel Sanders posted:

Is there a way to disable acceleration for Flash but keep it for HTML5?
I'm not sure about that, though it would be handy. For some reason I don't seem to get the Flash tearing issue on Windows 8 Release Preview even with hardware acceleration enabled.

Colonel Sanders posted:

Also, I noticed a few other oddities with flash. If I left tabs open with flash ads, after a while when I would come back to those tabs and all the flash ads would have the sad face "flash crashed". Another oddity was every once in a while when I would loading a link the browser would hang for a few seconds and a popup would alert me that Flash had crashed, I click cancel and the page would load but all flash ads on the page would have the sad face "flash is broke". Considering I only noticed the last two bugs with advertisements, I kinda liked those bugs. :) *since the last two items don't occur very often, I don't yet know if they are still present or not.
Firefox has Flash (and possibly other plugins) set to "crash" status if they hang for 45 seconds or more.

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting of resetting your profile? Other sources of woe may be heavy-handed anti-virus or anti-malware programs running in the background, or a low-spec computer. But I'm grasping at straws here.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Colonel Sanders posted:

I was noticing a tearing effect with youtube videos imbedded in forums as well, thought nothing anywhere near as serious as sauer kraut's screenshot. Turned off hardware acceleration and the tearing effect is gone. However, will this also disable HTML5's hardware acceleration? Is there a way to disable acceleration for Flash but keep it for HTML5?
Right-click on Flash, Settings, Display tab (far left), uncheck Hardware Acceleration. I would try clean installing the latest drivers for your videocard first, though, as disabling hardware acceleration murders performance.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Are there any addins for caching ahead with some intelligence? eg load the next page of a thread in the background if it exists. Would be ideal for picture or gif threads

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

dud root posted:

Are there any addins for caching ahead with some intelligence? eg load the next page of a thread in the background if it exists. Would be ideal for picture or gif threads
This is what it's supposed to do already. Now depending on how the page is constructed, it may not pick up on the cues laid out by it. I'm not sure if an extension would really help.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No it doesn't. That's not something you can even do, because web developers are idiots.

Google ran into a ton of problems when they introduced their Web Accelerator, and finally had to give up on it entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pseudorandom name posted:

No it doesn't. That's not something you can even do, because web developers are idiots.

Google ran into a ton of problems when they introduced their Web Accelerator, and finally had to give up on it entirely.
Not sure if you're replying to me, but here's the documentation on how to setup prefetching. It's not really that hard.