Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Pesky Splinter posted:

Infact, there's nothing really that distinguishes him as a character. His design tells me nothing about him or his personality at all.

He's got loving guns, and a scowl. Looks like a pretty loving cool fucker, to me.

I am curious how the press will receive this game. Heavenly Sword had the benefit of being a launch game, and both it and Enslaved were able to bamboozle reviewers with Andy Serkis' digital visage, but DMC should be facing a slightly different audience.

Theoretical Ninjas are doing their damnedest to sell the game on its story, but they're still calling it "DMC," so it's bound to be reviewed more consistently by people familiar with action games than either of Ninja Theory's previous couple attempts.

Will they gush without Gollum? Is the Emperor finally asking for fashion advice from people who actually know something/give a gently caress about clothing?

I don't normally base buying decisions on reviews, but there are a handful of people whose opinions I value, and when Enslaved was getting universal praise, it raised a lot of doubts in my mind about some people's taste.

Arstan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If you saw DMC4 Dante walking down the street, you would know that that is one cool dude and he would be prepared for a surprise high five.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Schubalts posted:

If you saw DMC4 Dante walking down the street, you would know that that is one cool dude and he would be prepared for a surprise high five.

And just maybe, he could fill your dark soul with light. :unsmith:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Schubalts posted:

And would offer you a good natured "Down low? Too slow!" before you both parted ways laughing. Having filled you dark soul with just a little bit of light.

New Dante would be too busy listening to "Crawling in my skin" on repeat in his earphones and just leave you hanging.

Edit: Perpetually ready for a surprise high five is my new metric for cool.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 12, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

quote:

Ninja Theory shows off its ongoing work on the Devil May Cry series in DmC, with an E3 2012 demo that proves beyond any doubt that the franchise is in safe hands.

quote:

For those who have been concerned about Ninja Theory’s ability to appropriately capture the bizarre, over-the-top nature of the Devil May Cry series in its upcoming DmC, you can safely put those fears aside.

quote:

“I am now,” he says, striding forward into the club. Before following him, the camera comes to rest on the clipboard and we see how Dante chose to sign his name: “F–k you.” Still worried?

How does someone write these three phrases in the same article? Do you have to like have never played or heard of the DmC series beyond "a guy who has a big sword and some guns and fighting's complicated and badass and stuff"?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Basically DMC 1-4 (excepting 2) Dante is Andrew W.K. in fictional life. Whoever compared the two on the previous page has the right of it.

It's also why DMC is an awesome series, because it was so gloriously, gloriously self-affirmingly cheesy and over the top and knew it and didn't loving care. Dante lived his entire life without a single gently caress given.

New Dante gives far too many fucks.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Occupation posted:

And is trying really, really hard to pretend like he doesn't.

I can hear the mental process of "Are they looking, crap they weren't looking, better say gently caress until they notice me."

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Arstan posted:

He's got loving guns, and a scowl. Looks like a pretty loving cool fucker, to me.

I am curious how the press will receive this game. Heavenly Sword had the benefit of being a launch game, and both it and Enslaved were able to bamboozle reviewers with Andy Serkis' digital visage, but DMC should be facing a slightly different audience.

Theoretical Ninjas are doing their damnedest to sell the game on its story, but they're still calling it "DMC," so it's bound to be reviewed more consistently by people familiar with action games than either of Ninja Theory's previous couple attempts.

Will they gush without Gollum? Is the Emperor finally asking for fashion advice from people who actually know something/give a gently caress about clothing?

That's his pose - look at what he's wearing last years duds urgh! :gay:
He looks more like a background NPC than a main character (though yes, there is an argument to be made that it suits the story and all that poo poo).

While I'm not sure about what the press will say when we get access to the full game, the first responses to it were unanimously negative.

After Dante's massive redesign press reception was more favourable, and now (just after E3) they're slavishly saying how wonderful it is. People are praising the story, and how mature it is. And how nice and pretty everything looks and how it feels like a TRUE DMC GAME. :byodood:

Occupation posted:

Basically DMC 1-4 (excepting 2) Dante is Andrew W.K. in fictional life. Whoever compared the two on the previous page has the right of it.

It's also why DMC is an awesome series, because it was so gloriously, gloriously self-affirmingly cheesy and over the top and knew it and didn't loving care. Dante lived his entire life without a single gently caress given.

Similar thing for Bayonetta - yeah, I know she's basically a parody of herself and everything she does is sexualised, but she has such an air of cheesy charm, like she knows she it's cheesy but has fun with it, and to use your words, live life without a single gently caress given. But it's effortless. It doesn't try to aim for campy cheese. It is campy cheese and just rolls with it.

Compare that to "I'm-such-a-motherfucking-funny-badass...Is everyone looking at ME! Huh!? Huh!? gently caress!? Oh but I'm really sad and had a bad lifeLOOK AT ME HOW BADASS I AM!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 12, 2012

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

And that this is somehow cooler than above:

More suited to current street fashions maybe, which does link into their look of the game, I'll admit. But it lacks the campy edge.

Infact, there's nothing really that distinguishes him as a character. His design tells me nothing about him or his personality at all.

Well, he's making the Kubrick stare, which is for very intense psychological moments, usually for psychotic characters. That doesn't mean evil, though. For instance, Pvt. Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket has an amazing Kubrick stare, and he's not evil, just snapped from his experiences in Basic. It definitely casts New Dante as a dubious hero, where all the pre-release stuff casts him as pure-yet-crass popular hero. More likely, it stems from aping popular anti-heroes like our droog Alex up there. But even if you say something accidentally, you've still said it.

Dante's red trenchcoat is a bit of a relic to me. The first DMC was a game that stemmed from a mishmash of developments and influences, and I always thought there was a noir influence that bled in at some point. Look at the intro cutscene. We have a Dame, coming in off the street, seeing a neon sign cutting through the dark and the storm. She comes in, place is a mess. A few trophies from previous cases on the wall, but from the look of it, the place is still a dump. Proprietor's got his feet up, all casual, a couple empty bottles of alcohol nearby. She tests him, but he's quick on the draw. Turns out, she knew about him already, and she has a job for him.

Only instead of a heavily narrated, verbal scene, you have the Dame crash in with a motorcycle and stab the Detective in the chest with his own sword, but then he pulls himself off the wall and throws the motorcycle right back at her. He's the Detective, but his trenchcoat is bright red. He's a bright color amongst muted hues. Of course, the noir aspect doesn't really crop up anywhere else, and it's not even that big in the intro, so I feel it's a tonal relic from the RE days. Still, the coat's pretty fundamental to who Classic Dante is. The intro to DMC 3 heavily quotes the DMC 1 intro, and at the conclusion, Dante takes up his trenchcoat. We see his gameplay, but the game starts proper (and he's the proper-not-DMC2-Dante) once he's in his proper uniform.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Reminder: In DMC4, when Nero is wrist-cuttingly emo about his lost cardboard princess, he gets in a fight with Dante that can be incredibly hard on higher difficulties. It's a literal fight to the death against Dante who beats your rear end, taunts you, changes styles and knocks you across the room all in a second. What happens when you finally win? Dante sidesteps your attack, hops up through a hole in the ceiling and says, "Welp cya!" with a salute and runs off. Then comes back a second time just to rub it in your face.

DMC4 Dante is literally making fun of the kind of character they made for DmC. :negative:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Precambrian posted:

Well, he's making the Kubrick stare, which is for very intense psychological moments, usually for psychotic characters. That doesn't mean evil, though. For instance, Pvt. Gomer Pyle from Full Metal Jacket has an amazing Kubrick stare, and he's not evil, just snapped from his experiences in Basic. It definitely casts New Dante as a dubious hero, where all the pre-release stuff casts him as pure-yet-crass popular hero. More likely, it stems from aping popular anti-heroes like our droog Alex up there. But even if you say something accidentally, you've still said it.

That's his pose, not his clothes.

The pose does tell about his character yeah, but what he's wearing is expressive of the character also.

Take Vergil:

Right off the bat, there is the cool blue, suggesting or hinting towards a colder or more subdued personality.

Then there's his coat, which like you describe Dante's, is a relic, but of a much older age. Infact, it's a very antiquated style. And the cravat and waistcoat/vest add to that feel. However, there's also the fingerless gloves which hints at him doing something with his hands.

Of course, we are talking about videogame characters so actual practicality be damned.

Now to DmC Dante:

Dark subdued blue. Even the red is subdued. Could be taken as not wanting to be noticed, but that's me playing into NT's trap of thinking about DmC's story. Fingerless gloves - same as what I said about Vergil. Definitley modern style. Just looks generic enough that it could be slapped with a label saying "NPC# 35".

[e]: So the generic look works if they're making him into like an everyman symbol? Yeah, looking at it like that, I can't disagree. :)
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 12, 2012

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's his pose, not his clothes.

The pose does tell about his character yeah, but what he's wearing is expressive of the character also.

I try to avoid commenting on clothes because I sure don't know fashion. I like your assessment of Vergil, because that is some excellent character design, but I don't quite agree with your Dante. It's definitely muted, but it's not totally NPC generic. The green jacket and jeans remind me of Travis Bickle, from Taxi Driver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQkpes3dgzg
God I love that movie
It's inconspicuous and subdued, yet still out of place enough to draw attention. Travis wants attention just as much as he wants to help people. He wants to be a hero, yet he also doesn't want to be too ostentatious about it. He acts as though he knows he's outside of society, and his behavior (though "heroic") doesn't belong.

Ultimately, I think Dante is "supposed" to be a popular hero for the common man, fighting against demon oppressors. A "They are no better than you" message. Even though Dante's an abrasive rear end in a top hat, he's still fighting the good fight. Smashing down barriers/bouncers that keep the haves from the have-nots. Perhaps, that's what he'll be.

But that's what Travis wants to be, too. The pose sure isn't doing him any favors, but the cheap white shirt under an open jacket looks like a deliberate design to pick up wear and bloodstains. It's a brutish, vicious look to his character. I suppose the make-it-or-break-it moment will be when we see how Dante works with his allies, but right now, the message seems to be "I am better than you". He busts his way into an exclusive club, immediately becomes the center of attention, and, well, there's a weird consumptive vibe to the sexuality. It's teenage wish fulfillment, the sort that thinks Fight Club is amazing, and the press releases don't give me faith that Ninja Theory, who sure ain't Scorsese, can navigate character writing between social conflict and suburban fantasy.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It pretty much comes down to this: Dante smirks, not scowls.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not to derail or anything but are the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games worth getting? I heard they were changed a bit and Itagaki said they were flawed. Does Sigma 1 have everything Black added like the staff?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Dash O Pepper posted:

Like I said, the collection is worse than playing the games on PS2, a system which you could probably purchase with the games for $40 and have a better experience.
What's wrong with the HD Collection? Everything I heard made it sound like it was bare-bones but completely competent. I've never played any of the Devil May Cry games before and was planning on eventually picking up the 360 version.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've never really "gotten" the DMC series. I managed to beat God Hand, got a Platinum for Bayonetta, got half-way through Ninja Gaiden Sigma before I got tired of it, and beat Devil May Cry 1 on Normal.

But I've never ever beaten mission 4 in Devil May Cry 3. I just couldn't do it. I've tried and tried but that boss always kills me. The enemies are just annoying as well. Often the camera is placed so you can't see half of the enemies, including the ones who shoot you, and the enemies have so much HP you spend most of your time wailing on enemies lying down which is stupid. The platforming is awkward and annoying. I haven't played the game in about four years, though.

Bayonetta just clicked for me. I can beat most of the stages without getting hit at all, and it's just fun to play, with the exception of the bike and missile stages of course.

This new DMC doesn't look all that good, but at least you can see where all the enemies are, at least from what I've seen. Then again, I loved Heavenly Sword, because of how it made you actually feel like a immortal demi-god in a cheesy B fantasy movie. That, and being able to knock people out by throwing hats at them (which you could steer with the six-axis).

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Wemus posted:

Not to derail or anything but are the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games worth getting? I heard they were changed a bit and Itagaki said they were flawed. Does Sigma 1 have everything Black added like the staff?

They're fine games, but nothing like DMC so don't go in expecting anything like that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Balobam posted:

Come DmC's release I'm just going to get Vanquish and see how that goes.

Make sure you play the demo a few times before you start the actual game.

Once you understand how the game is meant to be played, you'll know how cover is practically unnecessary, how to detect and respond to enemy attacks, when to use melee attacks for devastating effect, and how throwing a grenade, boost-kicking into an enemy, ricocheting into the air and then shooting the grenade is totally loving awesome.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I've never really "gotten" the DMC series. I managed to beat God Hand, got a Platinum for Bayonetta, got half-way through Ninja Gaiden Sigma before I got tired of it, and beat Devil May Cry 1 on Normal.

But I've never ever beaten mission 4 in Devil May Cry 3. I just couldn't do it. I've tried and tried but that boss always kills me. The enemies are just annoying as well. Often the camera is placed so you can't see half of the enemies, including the ones who shoot you, and the enemies have so much HP you spend most of your time wailing on enemies lying down which is stupid. The platforming is awkward and annoying. I haven't played the game in about four years, though.

You sure you remember correctly? DMC3 had a system where offscreen enemies straight up wouldn't attack you until they got in range first. People used to abuse it by swinging the camera around during fights so less guys would attack them. Also on normal mode the only guys who had a lot of HP were the annoying Coffin guys who kept summoning more monsters.

DMC3 was pretty hard though.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Bayonetta just clicked for me. I can beat most of the stages without getting hit at all, and it's just fun to play, with the exception of the bike and missile stages of course.

Well DMC 3 is easily the hardest of the three, for me at least. Cerberus continually beat my rear end over and over again no matter how hard I fought. And he was the first drat boss. I found all bosses from then on out much easier, but yeah it's a fairly challenging game.

And like Awesome Ghost said, you shouldn't be getting attacked by off-screen enemies since they just straight up do not fight if you can't see them.

I'd recommend trying DMC 4, probably my favourite of the series and it's very vibrant, quite nice to look at. It's also not that hard. Obviously on harder difficulties the challenge ramps up, but on a whole it's easier than 3.

If you have a good PC I cannot recommend the PC version more, since it's exactly what a good port should be. Higher fps, Legendary Dark Knight mode which can only be done on PC due to limited console power (just ridiculous amounts of enemies to fight, especially in certain rooms) and it's just generally a great game.

Also Credo Angelo. That fight alone is worth it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
You guys gushing about Credo Angelo seem to keep forgetting DMC3 had 3 easily superior fights in the same style (namely Vergil, Vergil 2, and Vergil 3.)

To this day I still believe Vergil 2 has the best drat boss music in any video game (yes even better than Ultra Violet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNTwmxWdIY

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

notZaar posted:

You guys gushing about Credo Angelo seem to keep forgetting DMC3 had 3 easily superior fights in the same style (namely Vergil, Vergil 2, and Vergil 3.)

To this day I still believe Vergil 2 has the best drat boss music in any video game (yes even better than Ultra Violet).

I like that each Vergil battle forshadows the futue Nero Angelo battles - and yeah, his music is loving awesome.

The thing about both the Vergil fights and the Angelo Credo is that both of them take full advantage of each game's combat system.

And if there's one thing to be said for all the series, even DMC2, is that the music is always gets the blood pumping.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Pesky Splinter posted:

They also space out its use, not making it sound meaningless. Off the top of my head, you've got:

"Oh gently caress me!" (said by Luka about to crash into something and Enzo all the time), "I feel like such a loving celebrity in this town!", and of course, "Don't gently caress with a witch!"

Compare that to

"gently caress YOU!"
"gently caress YOU!"
"gently caress YOU!"
"NO gently caress YOU!"

"DANTE!? Son of Sparda, and Eve - the WHHOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEE!?"

I think when swearing is used sparingly, it is much more potent. gently caress just loses its punch if it's used as punctuation in sentences.

Apart from that, I'm not ashamed of admitting I'm really poo poo at these games, so I'm cranking down the difficulty and using the most basic combos. And I still really like DMC and Bayonetta. They got charm.
This doesn't really look like it could even be used in the same sentence as charm.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

notZaar posted:

I know the Vergil fights were fantastic, but I was just saying that in DMC 4 I loved that bossfight. Plus with the Devil Bringer you could perform some pretty stylish grabs and counters which you couldn't in the Vergil fights, since Dante doesn't have a grab attack.

Also the setting for it was pretty incredibly. Just some huge monolithic cathedral in the background whilst you fight on what looks like a sky arena with the bright blue sky behind you and the vibrant green jungle on the other side. That was a nice set piece.

Plus he looked pretty cool.

Edit: vvv Is that those True Style Tournaments? They're pretty ridiculous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORgSuIIesIE

I mean the first one's alright, but the second against Berial is insane. Doesn't touch the floor once after getting in the air.

Balobam fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 12, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah there was a video where some guys basically did cool poo poo in DMC4 and put it up for judging on which is the coolest poo poo, there was a lot of stuff I had no idea you could do to that boss.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, the TrueStyle Tournaments. After seeing them, my metric for any action game going for DMC/Bayonetta's style of gameplay is to see whether it's possible to do anything on the TST's level with the combat engine.

I'm not sure if this video is part of a TST submission, but it's still one of my favorites. Hell, the first section of the video doesn't even involve any combat at all, just pure mastery of invincibility frames and timing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsuGB3S92Q.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm not sure if this video is part of a TST submission, but it's still one of my favorites. Hell, the first section of the video doesn't even involve any combat at all, just pure mastery of invincibility frames and timing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjsuGB3S92Q.

drat :stare:

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

They seriously need to make a full length DMC game with 4's Dante. All those style changes on the fly, and since it'll be a longer game, even more weapons. It'll be crazy.

I mean watching what this Brea can do with Dante is just mental, it needs to be an entire game to truly appreciate it. Hell, remake 3 into 4's engine and keep in the style-switching and weapon swaps via triggers.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Balobam posted:

And like Awesome Ghost said, you shouldn't be getting attacked by off-screen enemies since they just straight up do not fight if you can't see them.

Hmmmm, I might be remembering it wrong. If this is true it should help at least. I'll try it out when I get the time.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Renoistic posted:

Hmmmm, I might be remembering it wrong. If this is true it should help at least. I'll try it out when I get the time.

They also have audio cues to when they attack as well, so even if they are off screen and attack, you can generally hear them.

Not so sure about DMC1 or 2 though...

[e]: It works as a dodge mechanic. I don't think it's worthless, it makes for moving between the enemies easier.

An extra set of thumbs for clicking the dpad would be useful for switching them though, but the ability to switch styles on the fly more than makes up for that. Dark Slayer is pretty useless though, with them just trying to cram in another weapon without wanting to cycle through four melee ones.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 12, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
DMC 1 enemies also have audio cues and typically don't attack from offscreen to my recollection. Same holds true for Bayonetta as well.

I'm all for another Japanese DMC but they really need to change the style system. There really is zero point to Trickster and the whole on the fly switching was super cumbersome and not fun to deal with on either D-pad. Just give me all the powers at once and make them all commands like Bayonetta. Stop wasting my time Crapcom.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

CTRL+F 'gently caress', 35 results.

This seems to be the right place. Also, gently caress YOU! Can I work at Ninja Theory now?

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

gently caress no. You're far too jovial. Come back when your demeanour is more brooding or belligerent.

And if you're both, well you lucky son of a gun, you take over as head ninja.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

DMC 1 enemies also have audio cues and typically don't attack from offscreen to my recollection. Same holds true for Bayonetta as well.

I'm all for another Japanese DMC but they really need to change the style system. There really is zero point to Trickster and the whole on the fly switching was super cumbersome and not fun to deal with on either D-pad. Just give me all the powers at once and make them all commands like Bayonetta. Stop wasting my time Crapcom.

Is this post serious?

I'll give you a hint: The last time they gave us "all the powers at once" was Devil May Cry 2.

Also "no point to tricktster" lol. Yes sirree an air dash and a teleport unique to the style so pointless!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trickster is useless? :psyduck: High mobility air-dashes and teleports are pretty certainly not useless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

They also have audio cues to when they attack as well, so even if they are off screen and attack, you can generally hear them.

Not so sure about DMC1 or 2 though...

DMC2 has horrendous, horrendous tells to the point where it feels like they don't exist which is only aggravated Dante's dodge is laboriously slow and can't cancel out of attacks like it needs to to be useful.

As for trickster it felt like garbage in 3 until you hit level 3 and could actually dash enough times for it to function as both a dodge and a re-positioning technique. I don't remember using it all that much in 4 but then again you don't use Dante all that much.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Trickster is useless? :psyduck: High mobility air-dashes and teleports are pretty certainly not useless.

I find the extra mobility absolutely pointless in a game with such small arenas plus the ability to parry ever single attack and converting that energy into damage while Dante has an innate dodge that is good enough to avoid any attack I would want to not parry/just straight up hit them out of the attack anyway. I suppose it is more useful in 4 where you have constant access to it but I've always seen little point to it.

Oh, and giving you all the powers as DMC 2 did isn't a bad idea at all, it's just that DMC 2 is a poorly designed game, so it comes off...poorly.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 12, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Barudak posted:

DMC2 has horrendous, horrendous tells to the point where it feels like they don't exist which is only aggravated Dante's dodge is laboriously slow and can't cancel out of attacks like it needs to to be useful.

I couldn't remember exactly, but I know those little loving green ape things - the Msira - had no tells.

I've blocked out most of DMC2 because...well...it's better that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find the extra mobility absolutely pointless in a game with such small arenas plus the ability to parry ever single attack and converting that energy into damage while Dante has an innate dodge that is good enough to avoid any attack I would want to anyway. I suppose it is more useful in 4 where you have constant access to it but I've always seen little point to it.

Royal Guard is powerful but Trickster allows you to do some pretty amazing poo poo once you get it down. It isn't just about dodging but repositioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Trickster is great, even at level 1. It's free invincibility frames at the cost of a simple button press.

• Locked thread