Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I think the general recommendation is to wait to introduce a pacifier until breastfeeding is well-established and the baby has regained his or her birth weight. Before that, all of the comfort sucking is useful for encouraging a solid milk supply and for getting sleepy newborns those extra calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

skeetied posted:

I think the general recommendation is to wait to introduce a pacifier until breastfeeding is well-established and the baby has regained his or her birth weight. Before that, all of the comfort sucking is useful for encouraging a solid milk supply and for getting sleepy newborns those extra calories.

I agree with this. I would wait at least a couple of weeks to use a pacifier if you're breastfeeding.

I'm sorry the labor went to a scary place and glad you both pulled through in the end. Your baby is beautiful; congratulations!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Our baby is breastfed, and she handles that quite fine, but we still use the pacifier. For her, it's the biggest soother--if she's upset and crying, stick it in her mouth, and within seconds she's liable to just fall asleep most of the time. It really does make our lives easier, and so far, it doesn't look like it's affected her breastfeeding. Though it has to be pacifier A--pacifiers B and C just won't do.

So it probably depends on the baby.

And thanks for the bath suggestion, that's a good one. I'm going to see what I can do about angling towards that. I also got some good tummy time with her today, which she seemed to enjoy (as near as I can tell with her).

One thing, though, so if I have her in my arms asleep or whatever, I find myself getting anxious kind of wanting to do something with my free hand. While I try fiddling with my phone, many things assume a bit better grip than that, or two hands. Anyone have any good suggestions for one-handed things to do while carrying a sleeping baby?

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

You could get a baby carrier and wear her. Then you'd have two hands free.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
So after 3 weeks of constant contractions and "modified bedrest," today I hit the safety mark of 37 weeks and was feeling like I had this poo poo under control. Had an OB appointment, and he referred me for another ultrasound. I was kind of surprised that he did, because I thought that my 18 week anatomy scan was the last one I was getting, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't question this because I was just excited to get another chance to peer at the crazy poo poo going on inside my uterus. I also basically told myself that it must be standard, and I just didn't know it, because my few friends who have kids either had them in foreign countries, or had super high-risk pregnancies where they got an ultrasound twice every month, so my barometer for "normal" is kind of off.

When I called the radiology center to schedule it, it started to become obvious that it wasn't standard procedure, and after pulling out the referral paper, it says to check size and amniotic fluid. Googling tells me that the reasons you'd generally be referred for an ultrasound at this point are that the baby is suspected to be really large, really small, or have low amniotic fluid. I was already scheduled for an semi-"elective" C-section weeks ago (that's probably another story), so there's no chance it's because he's worried that the baby is too big to deliver, and I can't imagine that a big fat baby would otherwise influence a C-section, so we're probably left with the reasons being too small or low amniotic fluid.

I was pretty content to just wait until the ultrasound (which isn't until Tuesday), but when my husband found out, he started freaking out and wants to know OMG RIGHT NOW WHAT IS WRONG. I guess if I have low amniotic fluid, they'd just move up the C-section date, but I can't imagine that there's much they're going to be able to do if the baby is just small for his gestational age. I feel really bad that my husband is freaking out about this, and I've tried to tell him that the heartbeat was normal at the appointment, and that if the doctor thought that there was something really, really urgent that he would have made sure I was getting an ultrasound today, or sent me to the hospital or something.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
If they think there is cause to worry they would send you for an ultrasound right away at the hospital, not next week. I remember having non stress tests where they'd check for low fluid (as well as other monitoring) on a daily basis in the final weeks. If you do have that problem, it's not something that will wait until next week. The test may be non-standard but it doesn't mean that the OB isn't just ordering it to see what size to expect. Give the OB a call in the morning and put yourselves at ease.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I forget, did you test positive for GD? I know I'm getting an ~35 week ultrasound because of GD. Even if you are having a scheduled c-section, that doesn't mean they can't want to see if the baby will be large or not ;) If it were a dire emergency, I imagine they'd have you in the hospital now as 36 weeks is the safe point at which to deliver a baby with minimal issues.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Axiem posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions for one-handed things to do while carrying a sleeping baby?

I've found a Kindle to be invaluable. It's really easy to use one handed. I also like to prop my iPad up next to me.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

skeetied posted:

I've found a Kindle to be invaluable. It's really easy to use one handed. I also like to prop my iPad up next to me.

Holding a baby and reading on a kindle is a special kind of awesome.

I watched a lot of bad TV too. ;) Remotes only take one hand.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

buttzilla posted:

I forget, did you test positive for GD? I know I'm getting an ~35 week ultrasound because of GD. Even if you are having a scheduled c-section, that doesn't mean they can't want to see if the baby will be large or not ;) If it were a dire emergency, I imagine they'd have you in the hospital now as 36 weeks is the safe point at which to deliver a baby with minimal issues.

I failed the 1 hour test at 170 and then I passed the 3 hour test, but by like, 5 points. I was testing my blood sugar at home, and it was almost always higher than it should be, but my doctor basically said "You passed the 3 hour test, that's good enough for me, stop testing, you're just making yourself crazy" so I left it alone, but I've personally never been convinced that my blood sugar was ok. So he didn't order it due to him thinking I have GD, but of course in my mind it's still quite possible that anything unusual that's going on could be due to my blood sugar being out of whack (which is also the first thing my mind jumped to when the hospital found ketones in my urine 3 weeks ago). I swear if this baby comes out hypoglycemic, there's going to be a lot of "I told you so" happening.

If it were any other doctor that were ordering the ultrasound, I'd think that maybe they just wanted to know, but my doctor is just so laid-back and low-intervention that I can't see him ordering it without him having a real concern. This is the same guy who backs me up on just staying home and laying down when I have an hour or two worth of contractions that last a minute and are only two minutes apart, where all the other doctors in his practice are all freaking out and sending me to the hospital when the contractions are 5 minutes apart. (I frequently feel like I'm painting my doctor as some dude who is just utterly negligent, but he instructs residents at Hopkins, so I can't be the only one who trusts his judgement.)(except where this blood sugar thing is concerned)

Fortunately, my husband has calmed down a bit. He says he's still going to call the office in the morning, but his eyes are no longer brimming with tears, so I think he'll make it through the night.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I had an ultrasound at 38 weeks because the doctor couldn't tell if the baby was head down and just wanted to make sure she was in the right position.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Randomity posted:

I had an ultrasound at 38 weeks because the doctor couldn't tell if the baby was head down and just wanted to make sure she was in the right position.

Had same sort of deal, had one at 34 weeks, she was head up, had one again at 38 weeks and she had flipped. They were quick two minute ones, I didn't see the screen at all during. Could be something similar for you if the OB is unsure.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Randomity posted:

Yep, ditto. I don't remember when exactly it was, but it was 30+ weeks. She was a little slow to get her head down and they wanted to check that. Go ahead and ask your OB what they want to look for--there are plenty of non-scary things.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Axiem posted:

Our Anyone have any good suggestions for one-handed things to do while carrying a sleeping baby?

Amelia Song posted:

You could get a baby carrier and wear her. Then you'd have two hands free.

Babywearing is really great! Your hands are free while you still get to bond with your baby in a really important way. I loved wearing my baby when she was really small, I felt like we had a special connection, and because I was the one that mostly wore her, it was our special thing. :3: I had back/shoulder problems once my daughter got bigger because I don't think I had the right carrier for my body type, but you can hypothetically wear your baby until they're in Kindergarten!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We still put our 17-month-old, 23 lb-er in the ergo. We can do any of the carries with it depending on the situation. She likes back carries for shopping and front carries for long walks and napping on the go. We also have a moby but she never really got into that.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Axiem posted:

One thing, though, so if I have her in my arms asleep or whatever, I find myself getting anxious kind of wanting to do something with my free hand. While I try fiddling with my phone, many things assume a bit better grip than that, or two hands. Anyone have any good suggestions for one-handed things to do while carrying a sleeping baby?

I live with one hand on the computer.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm having a weird sort of pain. Not sure if its normal since I haven't really had any pain with this pregnancy. Its really low and feels like my bladder is incredibly full to the point of being painful, but its not and slightly to the side. I don't feel it if I'm sitting still, but it hurts if I move around/walk around. Could it be a UTI or something more serious? It doesn't burn when I pee. :(

edit: I guess it could be round ligament pain too? How can you tell the difference?

Alterian fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 11, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

I'm having a weird sort of pain. Not sure if its normal since I haven't really had any pain with this pregnancy. Its really low and feels like my bladder is incredibly full to the point of being painful, but its not and slightly to the side. I don't feel it if I'm sitting still, but it hurts if I move around/walk around. Could it be a UTI or something more serious? It doesn't burn when I pee. :(

edit: I guess it could be round ligament pain too? How can you tell the difference?

Could be a UTI. Probably too early for round ligament pain.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

buttzilla posted:

Could be a UTI. Probably too early for round ligament pain.

Should have put it in my post but I'm 17 weeks now.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

Should have put it in my post but I'm 17 weeks now.

Ah, then probably not too early. I don't know, when in doubt call up your OB.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My husband is becoming more and more cuddly as my time gets closer. The bad thing about this is he subconsciously wraps me in a Kraken-like grasp in the middle of the night that makes it impossible to get up to pee or change position without shoving him off me. I literally can't sleep at night and have taken to sleeping until 2 PM daily because that's when he isn't in bed. He's always been a snuggler, but now I'm literally perched on the edge of a queen sized bed praying for daylight so *I* can get some rest.

He's decided that he's going to start sleeping on the couch to help me, but now I feel bad about that. Like I shouldn't have deprived him of his pregnancy experiences or something. He's smothering me but I feel like crying over it, he just wants to participate.

He's also gotten *really* attracted to me. It's a bit disconcerting actually, because he literally can't stop grabbing at me. Anyone else have this problem? Naturally at 33 weeks this is the worst possible time for him to crave affection since I feel about as sexy as a beach ball. I'm about ready to give him a $50 and ship him off to a strip club LOL!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Stairs posted:

He's also gotten *really* attracted to me. It's a bit disconcerting actually, because he literally can't stop grabbing at me. Anyone else have this problem? Naturally at 33 weeks this is the worst possible time for him to crave affection since I feel about as sexy as a beach ball. I'm about ready to give him a $50 and ship him off to a strip club LOL!

It was the opposite for me, my husband was affectionate and everything but the thought of putting his penis anywhere near what he thought of as 'baby territory' was a big no no for him. I kind of understood but it left me feeling a bit lovely and like a massive baby carrying vessel.

To be honest though if he'd been grabby I probably would have hated it too. I just hated being pregnant.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Stairs posted:

I literally can't sleep at night and have taken to sleeping until 2 PM daily

Are all of your kids in school? D: I'm jealous.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Stairs posted:

My husband is becoming more and more cuddly as my time gets closer. The bad thing about this is he subconsciously wraps me in a Kraken-like grasp in the middle of the night that makes it impossible to get up to pee or change position without shoving him off me.

My husband has been doing the same, but it keeps me awake/bothers me for a different reason--it is summer, and I don't like waking up in the middle of the night and having to literally peel him off of me because he's one of those people who just sweats a flood in his sleep.

At 32 weeks, I've found that the easiest way to deal with it is to wake him up, instruct him to move back over to his side of the bed with a tactful 'you're shoving me off the edge of the bed, and also you are sweating like a crazy bastard'. It usually only happens one or twice a week, now (as opposed to every night, several times), because he's learning that if he wants uninterrupted sleep, then it is in his best interests to make sure I don't get woken up by anything other than the need to use the bathroom or switch whichever side I'm laying on.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
You could try sleeping with different blankets. That might deter him from cuddling in his sleep.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

buttzilla posted:

Are all of your kids in school? D: I'm jealous.

Nah, it's summer vacation. I'm lucky in two regards: My kids are all old enough to get their own breakfast and not trash my house until 2 (youngest is 9) and my husband is home all summer because he's a teacher. So any disasters happen and Rip Van Winkle can handle them!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oh no! I just got a call from the nurse. Not only am I anemic, I failed the 1 hour glucose test. I didn't get close to the threshold so I'm not sure I'll pass the 3 hour one either. I don't like changing my diet so I'm not looking forward to picking up the guidelines tomorrow. I hope it's not too different from what I eat now.

I honestly felt bad for the nurse though. She sounded so sad to be giving me a double dose of bad news. I could just feel her sympathy through the phone.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You can fail the one hour glucose for a variety of reasons, including what you had to eat that day (or not eat that day). It's just a screening test; not a diagnostic one. The three hour one is the diagnostic one.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^^ also this.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Oh no! I just got a call from the nurse. Not only am I anemic, I failed the 1 hour glucose test. I didn't get close to the threshold so I'm not sure I'll pass the 3 hour one either. I don't like changing my diet so I'm not looking forward to picking up the guidelines tomorrow. I hope it's not too different from what I eat now.

I honestly felt bad for the nurse though. She sounded so sad to be giving me a double dose of bad news. I could just feel her sympathy through the phone.

You could be anemic because of the low blood sugar. I was diagnosed with GD this time around and I was really bummed. However, short of eating healthier, the diet hasn't changed all that much. I can still have breads and some sweets, just a lot more moderated. Hopefully it's just as easy for you.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Awesome Kristin posted:

You mentioned picking up guidelines...aren't they going to do the 3-hour test before having you change your diet?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Mnemosyne posted:

You mentioned picking up guidelines...aren't they going to do the 3-hour test before having you change your diet?

She didn't say anything other than she has a paper with some kind of guidelines for my diet before I take the test. Maybe it's about fasting right before or something. I'm getting it in the morning.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Well, if it's any comfort to you, the numbers I've seen are that only around 10-15% of women will fail the 1 hour test, and out of that bunch that fails the 1 hour, only 10-15% of that group will still fail the 3 hour. So it's not that common to fail the 3-hour.

The 3-hour drink is pretty gross though. The 1-hour drink is just sort of icky, like flat soda, but the 3-hour one is sweeter and consequently thicker. Sort of like drinking a bottle of Dimetapp. I only say this because if you're expecting the same thing you drank last time, you're probably going to gag on the first sip of the 3-hour drink.

Also, on the anemia thing...when I got pregnant, I came to my appointment with the Target gummy prenatal vitamins to ask my doctor if they were ok to take since I knew they didn't have a few of the things that other prenatals have. Most notably, they're lacking any iron. He told me that they were fine, and when I asked if I should take an iron supplement on the side, he told me I could if I really wanted to, but that "most women end up at least a little anemic at some point in their pregnancy," and I shouldn't worry about it too much. Obviously, some people end up a LOT anemic and not just a little, but it's apparently pretty normal for pregnancy. And even if you don't want to change your diet to include more iron-rich foods, you can just buy yourself a cast iron pan and make sure to cook your meals in that. Iron is literally leeched out of the pan and into your food when you cook in it, upping the iron content of anything you cook in it. Again, if you're very, very anemic, that probably won't be enough to fix the problem on it's own, but it's one of the easiest ways to add at least a little bit back in.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Welp, I'm pregnant. Very early still, only 3 weeks. I had a feeling last week that I might be, and we confirmed it yesterday! I'm going for a blood test later today and then will make a 7 week appointment with my OB/Gyn afterward. We are super scared and super excited; right this minute though I'm focusing on the pizza I plan to order for lunch. One day at a time, I guess. We're referring to it as El Jefe for the moment :)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Schweig und tanze posted:

We're referring to it as El Jefe for the moment :)

We call ours Cletus the Fetus.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Alterian posted:

We call ours Cletus the Fetus.

Mine's Figgy (I read one week it was currently the size of a fig) or Peggy (long long story involving my thesis).

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I call mine fetus.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We just called ours "baby", or on occasion "Junebug", since that's when her due date was.

We also had no idea about the sex, so we had a fun time playing with pronouns there. Now that she's born, though, I find it weird to actually know to refer to her as a "she"--I keep wanting to avoid disclosing a sex.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

We went the super weird route and called ours Bonecrusher. My husband's sister was pregnant with twin boys 10 years ago, and my husband kept trying to convince her to name them Bonecrusher and Skullripper. After that, he named the bunny that lives in our front yard Bonecrusher. He really likes naming things that.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thanks for all the info, Mnemosyne. Now I'm afraid of the drink.

We called our fetus Blobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Thanks for all the info, Mnemosyne. Now I'm afraid of the drink.

It wasn't bad. I didn't notice a different consistency. Just that it was sweeter. Bring lots of water and you'll be fine. :)