Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Yehudis Basya, could I bother you for a rough recipe for your pierogi filling as it sounds very tasty. And is also making me think of Cornish pasties, which are also tasty. I know my next frozen lunch ideas now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
Well, the filling isn't that much more than what I already wrote:

Yehudis Basya posted:

For the filling, I salted and peppered ground beef, then browned it. I then mixed it up with chopped white onion, 2 eggs, and freshly grated white cheddar. I also made mashed potatoes out of red skinned potatoes, cream cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and fresh chives. Mixed up the potatoes into the beef and voila, filling!
As for amounts, I didn't really measure most of it. But in slightly more detail with pretty good guesses for the amount:

Mix 1 lb ground beef* with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and brown on the stovetop (don't use nonstick). My beef didn't throw off much fat, but if yours does and you don't like all of that, then drain on a paper towel. Either way, let the beef cool. Then, in a bowl, mix together with 2 eggs, ~4 tablespoons freshly grated white cheddar, and ~3/4 of a diced onion (yellow or white). Mix in the mashed potatoes. This amount of filling is sufficient for ~1.5-2 batches of Emeril's pierogi dough, depending on how large you cut the rounds.

For the mashed potatoes, I made a ton, so I could continue to have mashed potatoes over the next week as a side. I only took one big scoopful of the mash (maybe a cup? a little less?) for the pierogi; so the filling was mostly beef with some mash suspended in it. But you could easily change the proportions of that. I make a nuts-and-bolts mash though, so it's not super special. To make it: boil a ~couple of pounds or so of red-skinned potatoes in hot water until soft, about 30 or so minutes. Drain potatoes. Add ~1/2-3/4 cup butter, ~4-5 oz of a brick of cream cheese, and ~3-4 tablespoons freshly chopped up chives and mash together; add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. If you use fat-free or reduced-fat cream cheese, Jesus will cry.

*no idea on the relative leanness of the beef. I use the grass-fed stuff from the whole-animal butcher and he literally grinds together all the gristle and fat and random spare stuff that comes off as he butchers the cows. It was lean enough that not a lot of fat was thrown off in the pan while browning. But don't use 99% or 90% lean or any crap like that, since it tastes so crappy.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Fat free/reduced fat anything can die in a fire. And my beef will actually be moose, so leanness varies between grinds.
I can not wait to make a batch of these. Cheers!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Yehudis Basya posted:

So I made the cottage pierogi last night- they were so deliciously unhealthy, and since pierogi were new for me, I was extra excited about it! :)

For the filling, I salted and peppered ground beef, then browned it. I then mixed it up with chopped white onion, 2 eggs, and freshly grated white cheddar. I also made mashed potatoes out of red skinned potatoes, cream cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and fresh chives. Mixed up the potatoes into the beef and voila, filling!

For the dough, I halved Emeril's recipe: sour cream, peanut oil (ran out of olive but that sounds kinda gross anyways), butter, AP flour, salt, and eggs. According to him, using ground beef as a filling is a Polish thing.

To cook, I boiled the cottage pierogi in salted water for 8 minutes (they really do float!), dried them with a towel, and then sauteed them in better to get the skins browned.

So unhealthy yet so delicious! They're really, really filling though, 4 of them had me stuffed. A poo poo ton (uncooked in water) live in the freezer now (so even though the beef, sour cream, butter and cream cheese add up, you really get a ton of bang out of your buck), and should be perfect for days when I won't have time to prepare a full dinner, but can handle 8 minutes of boiling and 5 minutes of sauteeing! There's a lot of filling left over too, so either I'm going to make even more pierogi dough for even more deliciousness, or just cook the filling on the stove with roasted broccoli or something for a side.

Nice one, I was just sat around thinking 'poo poo I have mince and bacon and all this flour and stuff I want to make pierogi' and there we are. Cooking has been an absolute bastard recently, moving out very soon so trying to work through the food in the cupboards and I am just not imaginative at all.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 10, 2012

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Canadian Bakin posted:

... moose ...
I think you're in the wrong thread. Delicious meats like that do not come cheap!

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

captkirk posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread. Delicious meats like that do not come cheap!

Unless you kill it.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Let's hear it for family members who hunt and then let you raid the freezer. :D

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

captkirk posted:

Totally depends on geography. When I was growing up in ND, we had venison almost constantly because it was cheaper than beef and there were so many deer in the state that they were killing off any competition.

To link that statement to this thread:

Know your area! Find out what foods, both of the vegetal and mobile variety, are native to your area-- oftentimes, you can find those particular foods for much less with a little bit of looking. If you're not a hunter/fisher, you may get some mileage in doing some research on what's indigenous to your area. I've found, being from the Upper Midwest, that this can be especially true, and not always obvious, with fish. Around here trout and walleye are stupid cheap compared to other types of fish, but you wouldn't necessarily know unless you did some looking.

Plus every grandma in the state probably has an awesome recipe for both.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Know your area! Find out what foods, both of the vegetal and mobile variety, are native to your area-- oftentimes, you can find those particular foods for much less with a little bit of looking. If you're not a hunter/fisher, you may get some mileage in doing some research on what's indigenous to your area. I've found, being from the Upper Midwest, that this can be especially true, and not always obvious, with fish. Around here trout and walleye are stupid cheap compared to other types of fish, but you wouldn't necessarily know unless you did some looking.

Plus every grandma in the state probably has an awesome recipe for both.

Is this as simple as Googling my city/area or should I just be hitting up farmer's markets and local suppliers and just seeing what they offer over time? I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles and we're not the best known for our game nor agriculture.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

Is this as simple as Googling my city/area or should I just be hitting up farmer's markets and local suppliers and just seeing what they offer over time? I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles and we're not the best known for our game nor agriculture.

If you live in Southern California, there is nothing you can't really get, and you can get most of what is good in life for very cheap. Look especially at ethnic markets.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What Wiggles said. I live in Riverside and have almost never had problems sourcing conventional American produce for cheap, or sourcing quite obscure ingredients. I know where to get elk, venison, squab, rabbit, pheasant, and buffalo, in direct response to your game question. If you think any part of California isn't known for agriculture, you don't know California very well.

Echoing what he said about checking out ethnic markets. Ranch Market 99 alone will get you a ton of cheap produce as well as a plethora of obscure ingredients (like that squab, rabbit, and pheasant). Sprouts markets have a ton of nice bulk ingredients and in their freezer case are shrink wrapped steaks and ground elk, venison, and buffalo (they also have defrosted buffalo at mine). Mexican, Indian, and Korean markets are everywhere in LA and offer even more cheap and obscure food. The key is to walk around, look at everything, read the tags, if you don't know what something is, ask or write it down/take a picture and ask in the General Questions thread.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

What Wiggles said. I live in Riverside and have almost never had problems sourcing conventional American produce for cheap, or sourcing quite obscure ingredients. I know where to get elk, venison, squab, rabbit, pheasant, and buffalo, in direct response to your game question. If you think any part of California isn't known for agriculture, you don't know California very well.

Echoing what he said about checking out ethnic markets. Ranch Market 99 alone will get you a ton of cheap produce as well as a plethora of obscure ingredients (like that squab, rabbit, and pheasant). Sprouts markets have a ton of nice bulk ingredients and in their freezer case are shrink wrapped steaks and ground elk, venison, and buffalo (they also have defrosted buffalo at mine). Mexican, Indian, and Korean markets are everywhere in LA and offer even more cheap and obscure food. The key is to walk around, look at everything, read the tags, if you don't know what something is, ask or write it down/take a picture and ask in the General Questions thread.

Totes for serious. The biggest mistake people make living in California is that they assume that if they can't find it Lucky/Vons/Albertsons it must not exist, when in fact those temples to mediocrity and mass marketing don't carry even %25 of what is available with even the most rudimentary effort. California is blessed to be one of the places of greatest food diversity and access in the entire world, and Southern California in particular may in fact be the world's number 1 place for freshness, variety, and value. Just be a little adventurous and put a little time into research like Gravity said and you will find more wonderful, interesting, and inexpensive things to cook than you can possibly explore in your entire lifetime.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

No kidding, even San Bernardino has a farmers market where no one has been shot for months! Produce at a farmers market seems to be about half the supermarket price for better quality and more variety.
(I will say that I would kill for a Ranch Market 99 around here (nearest one is 30mi away in Rancho), but you can cobble together a bunch of smaller markets and do the same. Hint: The "ghetto" won't kill you, and you can get good, cheap stuff there if you know what you're doing.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

nm posted:

No kidding, even San Bernardino has a farmers market where no one has been shot for months! Produce at a farmers market seems to be about half the supermarket price for better quality and more variety.
(I will say that I would kill for a Ranch Market 99 around here (nearest one is 30mi away in Rancho), but you can cobble together a bunch of smaller markets and do the same. Hint: The "ghetto" won't kill you, and you can get good, cheap stuff there if you know what you're doing.

There is a 99 Ranch Market in Chino Hills, too. But I don't know what direction you're coming from. I live like a mile down the street from the one in Rancho. They've also started doing a little farmers' market at the Victoria Gardens on Friday mornings, I think.

Edit: Sprouts is an awesome store, too. My 4 year-old daughter discovered PINK sea salt and I thought she was going to piss her pants or something. Then she asked me how babies are made in the checkout line but that's another story all together.

Walk Away fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 13, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Walk Away posted:

There is a 99 Ranch Market in Chino Hills, too. But I don't know what direction you're coming from. I live like a mile down the street from the one in Rancho. They've also started doing a little farmers' market at the Victoria Gardens on Friday mornings, I think.

Wow, so many Inland Empire spoongoons :cheers:

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Wow, so many Inland Empire spoongoons :cheers:

Only the best for this forum, baby.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I freaking adore Sprouts, I don't think I've ever left that place paying more than $20 for the week, even when I'm buying the aforementioned obscure ingredients. 99 Ranch Market is also 30 freakin' miles away from me though, and the local Asian market does not stock rabbit. I really want to try rabbit again. :(

edit: Hells yeah :cheers:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Walk Away posted:

Edit: Sprouts is an awesome store, too. My 4 year-old daughter discovered PINK sea salt and I thought she was going to piss her pants or something. Then she asked me how babies are made in the checkout line but that's another story all together.

Redlands.
Which has Gerrards, which is great for weird expensive stuff (they have amazing beef and break their own animals), but isn't cheap, and has a decent farmer's market. I cobble together a few Southeast Asian markets, mexican markets, and an Indian market in San Bernardino to make them work, I just don't go after dark.

And yes, holy crap we have a lot of IE people. I guess being surrounded by lovely chain restaurants causes one to rebel.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 13, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nm posted:

Redlands.
Which has Gerrards, which is great for weird expensive stuff (they have amazing beef and break their own animals), but isn't cheap, and has a decent farmer's market. I cobble together a few Southeast Asian markets, mexican markets, and an Indian market in San Bernardino to make them work, I just don't go after dark.

And yes, holy crap we have a lot of IE people. I guess being surrounded by lovely chain restaurants causes one to rebel.

yessss Redlands owns, their midweek market is awesome. <3 Farm Artisan Foods, they're catering my wedding :3:

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Another idea for cheap, good food is to make your own sauces. A roux is fat and flour cooked together. Add some liquid slowly, then season. You can use a ton of different liquids for different flavors. Milk, cream, any kind of stock, water (not going to be very tasty), hell just about anything. You can melt in cheese or mix in tomato paste or some hot sauce or whatever. Sauces are cheap and easy and infinitely flexible for adding more flavor to a dish.

Hawkgirl posted:

I freaking adore Sprouts, I don't think I've ever left that place paying more than $20 for the week, even when I'm buying the aforementioned obscure ingredients. 99 Ranch Market is also 30 freakin' miles away from me though, and the local Asian market does not stock rabbit. I really want to try rabbit again. :(

They're opening up a Sprouts within walking distance of me, but I live in Mountain View right next door to Los Altos Hills. You don't buy a house in Los Altos Hills. You buy an estate. So I am happy that one is opening, but I am not figuring on it being reasonably priced.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

yessss Redlands owns, their midweek market is awesome. <3 Farm Artisan Foods, they're catering my wedding :3:

I actually like Redlands a lot, but I want an Asian market I can walk to as I can drat near walk to everything else (though the Mexican market is a hike).

I believe I may be the only person in the IE who doesn't need a car (except to get to work because gently caress biking down Waterman or Tippecanoe at night).

edit: There's a sprouts in loving Hemet, but I have to drive to Riverside?

nm fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 13, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

nm posted:

I believe I may be the only person in the IE who doesn't need a car (except to get to work because gently caress biking down Waterman or Tippecanoe at night).

Do you work at LLUMC?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

nm posted:

I actually like Redlands a lot, but I want an Asian market I can walk to as I can drat near walk to everything else (though the Mexican market is a hike).

edit: There's a sprouts in loving Hemet, but I have to drive to Riverside?

Hahaha, there's things in Hemet now? I've been away for too long.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

Do you work at LLUMC?

No, I'm a public defender.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Hahaha, there's things in Hemet now? I've been away for too long.
There's also a homeless shelter and a rehab place!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

nm posted:

There's also a homeless shelter and a rehab place!

Ah, that's more like the Hemet I remember.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ah, that's more like the Hemet I remember.

I actually suspect there are fewer meth cooks than you remember. Lot more getting imported from Mexico.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
We actually have a local grocery store that sells reasonably-priced produce. Not all of the produce is local, but much of it is, and they're pretty upfront about labeling.

But I would love to go to a farmer's market with actual farmers selling actual (preferably cheap, but I'll pay for quality) produce. Our farmers market is just a bunch of restaurants selling their food, random insurance-type people shilling crap, and pre-baked goods. Not a farmer in sight!

... we used to live by the greatest farmers market, too. :sigh: The local grocery is pretty great, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm really sorry that you all live in San Bernadino/Imperial/Riverside :(

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Valdara posted:

They're opening up a Sprouts within walking distance of me, but I live in Mountain View right next door to Los Altos Hills. You don't buy a house in Los Altos Hills. You buy an estate. So I am happy that one is opening, but I am not figuring on it being reasonably priced.

Whereabouts in Mountain View? I know there's one in Sunnyvale that's a pretty short drive down El Camino, but I've never been there. Right now I do a lot of my shopping at Fresh & Easy, because the Rengstorff location is in walking distance. I'm also pretty close to a Mi Pueblo, which I've been meaning to check out. I get fliers in the mail all the time and some of the produce at these places is ridiculously cheap.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

Whereabouts in Mountain View? I know there's one in Sunnyvale that's a pretty short drive down El Camino, but I've never been there. Right now I do a lot of my shopping at Fresh & Easy, because the Rengstorff location is in walking distance. I'm also pretty close to a Mi Pueblo, which I've been meaning to check out. I get fliers in the mail all the time and some of the produce at these places is ridiculously cheap.

Spouts.com posted:

Mountain View, California – September 5

Construction is well underway for our new market on the northeast corner of El Camino Real and San Antonio Road in Mountain View. It will open under the Sprouts Farmers Market banner due to Sprouts' recent merger with Sunflower Farmers Market. The new Mountain View Sprouts is taking over the former sites of Rasputin Music and DSW Shoes. With our San Jose stores to the east and Sunnyvale and Mountain View to the west, we are steadily growing throughout the South Bay.Construction is well underway for our new market on the northeast corner of El Camino Real and San Antonio Road in Mountain View, California. It will open under the Sprouts Farmers Market banner due to Sprouts' recent merger with Sunflower Farmers Market. The new Mountain View Sprouts is taking over the former sites of Rasputin Music and DSW Shoes. With our San Jose stores to the east and Sunnyvale and Mountain View to the west, we are steadily growing throughout the South Bay.

I live at California and Rengstorff, just west of Central Expwy, and I mostly shop at Safeway and Trader Joe's. I'm going to start going further afield soon to ethnic markets and more interesting stores, but it is so goddamn WASPy this close to Los Altos and end of year is so crazy for a teacher, that I've just done the easy thing since moving.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

I'm really sorry that you all live in San Bernadino/Imperial/Riverside :(

It's really not that bad. Everything in LA is an hour drive to get to no matter how far just because of traffic. LA is an hour drive from where I am and I'm there a few times a week. I never understood how IE people can complain about driving to Rowland Heights or whatever for a 99 RM, you'll spend just as much time in the car going from UCR down to Tyler Mall if you go at the wrong time.

More and more nonchains are popping up over time. The aforementioned Farm Artisan Foods in Redlands is a seasonal and local food bistro. The Salted Pig in downtown Riverside is a pretty great gastropub that has a rapidly rotating craft beer tap list that hosts some great tasting events and beer dinners, their selection is mighty fine, too. Cafe Sevilla is a local 3 branch restaurant "chain (I suppose)" from Long Beach and they have some great Spanish food. Oh yeah, and Sushi Shiro in Upland is awesome.

For those in LA proper, Mitsuwa is another awesome market, and is right on Centinela near SanMo.

Mizufusion posted:

I'm also pretty close to a Mi Pueblo, which I've been meaning to check out. I get fliers in the mail all the time and some of the produce at these places is ridiculously cheap.

My parents live really close to the Mi Pueblo in Newark and it is pretty nice. Doesn't have that run down feel that most discount Hispanic markets do, and they have some pretty sweet stuff.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 13, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's really not that bad. Everything in LA is an hour drive to get to no matter how far just because of traffic. LA is an hour drive from where I am and I'm there a few times a week. I never understood how IE people can complain about driving to Rowland Heights or whatever for a 99 RM, you'll spend just as much time in the car going from UCR down to Tyler Mall if you go at the wrong time.
I'm not an IE person (though I live here) and I am used to nothing being more than 10min away.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Valdara posted:

I live at California and Rengstorff, just west of Central Expwy, and I mostly shop at Safeway and Trader Joe's. I'm going to start going further afield soon to ethnic markets and more interesting stores, but it is so goddamn WASPy this close to Los Altos and end of year is so crazy for a teacher, that I've just done the easy thing since moving.

Oh, nice. I'm on the other side of Central, a couple blocks from where it intersects with Rengstorff. The grocery stores I mentioned in my previous post are pretty close to you, then. The Mi Pueblo is at Central and Rengstorff, and the Fresh & Easy is further up Rengstorff, by Middlefield. I don't know about you, but I'd consider both of them within walking distance, unless you're planning to stock up on a million things.

I used to get a lot of my spices and ethnic groceries at the Mountain View Market downtown, but they're under new management now and they've changed a lot. It used to be a good place for obscure Asian ingredients, but now half of their inventory is yuppie health food. Now I go to Han Kook in Sunnyvale for stuff like that.

I know there's a bunch of other good markets around, I just haven't explored many because I too am lazy.

GrAviTy84 posted:

For those in LA proper, Mitsuwa is another awesome market, and is right on Centinela near SanMo.

My parents live really close to the Mi Pueblo in Newark and it is pretty nice. Doesn't have that run down feel that most discount Hispanic markets do, and they have some pretty sweet stuff.

Hey, we have Mitsuwa here too, in Saratoga. I used to shop there all the time for snacks and anime crap when I was a teenager. Good to know about Mi Pueblo, too. I didn't expect it would be, but still nice to hear. I actually used to sell computers and stuff to them at my old job. The guys that came in to make the purchases were all super chill, too.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

So what I've deduced from this thread is that we all live within 30 minutes of each other. The IE has a monopoly on GWS!

Oh yeah, and we have the cutest kids, too.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
Riverside has a lot more options for local agriculture than Long Beach I'm sure. I'll check around more thoroughly but I find the patronizing by some of you to be bullshit.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mizufusion posted:

Oh, nice. I'm on the other side of Central, a couple blocks from where it intersects with Rengstorff. The grocery stores I mentioned in my previous post are pretty close to you, then. The Mi Pueblo is at Central and Rengstorff, and the Fresh & Easy is further up Rengstorff, by Middlefield. I don't know about you, but I'd consider both of them within walking distance, unless you're planning to stock up on a million things.

I used to get a lot of my spices and ethnic groceries at the Mountain View Market downtown, but they're under new management now and they've changed a lot. It used to be a good place for obscure Asian ingredients, but now half of their inventory is yuppie health food. Now I go to Han Kook in Sunnyvale for stuff like that.

I know there's a bunch of other good markets around, I just haven't explored many because I too am lazy.

THAT Mi Pueblo? I thought that was just a taqueria. I've walked past it on my way to Hobee's. Will def check it out. I get my bike back from the shop next week, so basically everything is within biking distance around here. I'll keep you updated if I find anything particularly amazing/egregious.

And now, time to start prepping for supper for my Wedding Planning party tonight. Menu: Tri-tip, roasted veggies, roasted corn on cob, and chocolate pudding that is currently cooling in the fridge. I asked his parents to make a salad, because they were getting very anxious about not contributing something.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Riverside has a lot more options for local agriculture than Long Beach I'm sure. I'll check around more thoroughly but I find the patronizing by some of you to be bullshit.

This may be the first time in all of history that a person living near the coast in California had wished he had the selection of those who lived inland. :psyduck:

KoB
May 1, 2009
A few pages ago someone said to use a wood cutting board for chicken, but I was always told to use plastic for chicken. Whats the latest info for this?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

What the heck? There are three farmers' markets in Long Beach alone. Since I'm the first to be a lazy rear end in a top hat I won't even blame you for not wanting to drive out to the ones in Cerritos, Bellflower, or Huntington Park. Also, there are several fantastic CSAs that offer pickup in Long Beach, even if they aren't technically farming in the Long Beach area. I used to pick my box up across the street from CSULB. And finally, if this all isn't local enough for you, here is a farm that is literally in Long Beach: http://www.longbeachlocal.org/

I miss Long Beach sometimes. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

http://goo.gl/maps/4V3E
http://goo.gl/maps/w9ll
http://goo.gl/maps/70xR
http://goo.gl/maps/5mhU
http://goo.gl/maps/t7Fr
http://goo.gl/maps/OKn9

And this is all assuming you live in downtown Long Beach which is unlikely.

KoB posted:

A few pages ago someone said to use a wood cutting board for chicken, but I was always told to use plastic for chicken. Whats the latest info for this?

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

In any case, if you still feel uncomfortable using wood, plastic still lacks good feel. That is to say, it feels like poo poo when you use a knife properly on one. There is an alternative to a plastic board that is closer in feel and form to a wood board but also fully sanitizable. It is the Sani Tuff chopping board.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 14, 2012