Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

TheJoker138 posted:

Now the second four issues, with the Wolverine team up, are some of the worst comics I've ever read.

To go off on a tangent, you know what I'd like to re-read? The Punisher two-parter where he goes to Africa & fights Wolverine in the Congo. The gist of it was that Frank had to go on the run so he became "Chuck Fort" the wilderness survival expert and joined an expedition to Africa to find a still-living dinosaur that people reported seeing. Wolverine was there to throw explorers off the trail so the dinosaur could stay alive. Frank didn't know Wolverine at the time so he punches him and thinks, "holy poo poo, that nearly broke my hand. It's like his skull is made of steel!" I remember little me reading that and going HAW THAT'S CUZ IT IS!!!!!

Aw man, now I'm sad. Cuz that guy whose adventures I enjoyed so much just died. Bleeding out on a street. All alone. With nothing and no one. poo poo, Frank. However bad of a person you were, I still say you deserved better.
:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

picosecond posted:

To go off on a tangent, you know what I'd like to re-read? The Punisher two-parter where he goes to Africa & fights Wolverine in the Congo. The gist of it was that Frank had to go on the run so he became "Chuck Fort" the wilderness survival expert and joined an expedition to Africa to find a still-living dinosaur that people reported seeing. Wolverine was there to throw explorers off the trail so the dinosaur could stay alive. Frank didn't know Wolverine at the time so he punches him and thinks, "holy poo poo, that nearly broke my hand. It's like his skull is made of steel!" I remember little me reading that and going HAW THAT'S CUZ IT IS!!!!!

Aw man, now I'm sad. Cuz that guy whose adventures I enjoyed so much just died. Bleeding out on a street. All alone. With nothing and no one. poo poo, Frank. However bad of a person you were, I still say you deserved better.
:(

Actually the Frank who died was an alternate universe version of that character who's adventures you read. Having dinosaurs in the MAX universe would be ridiculous! And furthermore...

:goonsay:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I really enjoyed the Jim Lee run of Punisher: War Journal for the first, what, 25 issues or so? I have all of them still in a box in my basement probably. Even got some signed by Jim himself!

The Wolverine crossover issues were around #6-7 in that run iirc.

I harbour no illusions about them being worth anything, though ;)

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

When did Punisher and Wolverine fight the midgets? That was a good story with the highlight of seeing Wolverine run over with a steam roller

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

When did Punisher and Wolverine fight the midgets? That was a good story with the highlight of seeing Wolverine run over with a steam roller

That was the second or third arc of Ennis' Marvel Knights run.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hob_Gadling posted:

And how do you lose a guy who can track you by scent?
Park a steamroller on his nose :)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Not to mention the flashbacks with a midget being catapulted. That whole thing was awesome.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hollingsworth is really busting his rear end to keep this book looking fairly consistent in the face of all the artists.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Manwithastick posted:

I actually really enjoyed that arc. It was fun and silly the way a Wolverine Punisher team up should be.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
It was the second MK arc after... The one after Spider-man and the Return of the Russian.

I remember soon after Frank appeared in Wolverine's ongoing and got pretty resoundingly beaten down and Wolverine found a stack of mens health magazines under Franks bed and made a 'heh u a homo lol' joke because ~~marvel~~

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sion posted:

It was the second MK arc after... The one after Spider-man and the Return of the Russian.

I remember soon after Frank appeared in Wolverine's ongoing and got pretty resoundingly beaten down and Wolverine found a stack of mens health magazines under Franks bed and made a 'heh u a homo lol' joke because ~~marvel~~

Those Wolverine issues with Frank in it were some of the worst comics I've ever read.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
Having recently finished all the Punisher MAX comics, the Punisher is easily my favorite comic character. I've even got a few of my friends who had never read a comic in their life visiting the local shop because I've been loaning out my Vol. 1 hardcover.

There are so many panels over the issues that really captured the darkness in Frank. Here's a couple of my favorites. He does not look like someone to be hosed with.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I think this was one of my favorite images in all of Punisher Max, as soon as he sees the news story about what has been done to his family's graves. The "oh poo poo, people are gonna get hosed up big time" quality of this image is amazing, and it's just a guy sitting at a diner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rakanakle posted:

There are so many panels over the issues that really captured the darkness in Frank. Here's a couple of my favorites. He does not look like someone to be hosed with.

That second one is from The Cell right? I really liked that special, but I was interested in what others thought, given how significant to Frank's whole story it is.

Rustie posted:

I think this was one of my favorite images in all of Punisher Max, as soon as he sees the news story about what has been done to his family's graves. The "oh poo poo, people are gonna get hosed up big time" quality of this image is amazing, and it's just a guy sitting at a diner.

Yeah, that is definitely what I imagine a jaded, bitter and highly competent veteran of at least one especially lovely war turned vigilante-slash-serial-killer watching someone piss on his family's graves would look like.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The best thing is that isn't even the most pissed off you see him in that series. I think his face after the girl tells her story in the slavers arc is even more "oh poo poo, someone is going to be messed up in this story".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rustie posted:

The suggestion of the shape of the Punisher symbol in his face is what sells it for me. He's drawn just a little more gaunt here than in other panels, and it works out great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Breetai posted:

The suggestion of the shape of the Punisher symbol in his face is what sells it for me. He's drawn just a little more gaunt here than in other panels, and it works out great.

I was just about to mention that. It's a really great, almost subliminal, touch.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Alves getting her own skull vest was a moment I knew I wanted but didn't know I'd get. *fist pump*

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
The crossover poo poo in the latest issue makes me miss the old no-supes Punisher book even more. Suddenly Daredevil and Spiderman are in there talking about a techno-magic doohickey and I'm wondering if I missed an issue.
Alves shooting Hornhead in the back was satisfying though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Professor Doctor posted:

The crossover poo poo in the latest issue makes me miss the old no-supes Punisher book even more. Suddenly Daredevil and Spiderman are in there talking about a techno-magic doohickey and I'm wondering if I missed an issue.
Alves shooting Hornhead in the back was satisfying though.

Which old no supes book? The earlier issues in this run featured the super powered Vulture in the second issue.

And you did miss an issue, in Avenging Spider-Man. Which everyone should be reading anyway. It's also using a plot thread from Daredevil's new series (which is arguably the best series Marvel is currently publishing)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Which old no supes book? The earlier issues in this run featured the super powered Vulture in the second issue.

The entire MAX run is what he's talking about.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

That second one is from The Cell right? I really liked that special, but I was interested in what others thought, given how significant to Frank's whole story it is.

Yeah, that is definitely what I imagine a jaded, bitter and highly competent veteran of at least one especially lovely war turned vigilante-slash-serial-killer watching someone piss on his family's graves would look like.

I like how it shows the effects of living such a life. Dillon's representation was too fresh-faced, and that's a mistake a lot of Punisher artists made: they see the Punisher as some eternally youthful older man who has a blank face that reflects nothing of what he went through or goes through. But those up there...you see an old man that's been made older. Even if he's a hard motherfucker, you can see everything he's done in his face. The age doesn't take away from his power, it just shows he's ready for more, and that's downright scary.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Thank God.

quote:

While The Hulk may have been given the, ahem, green light, it has now been revealed by The Hollywood Reporter that The Punisher will not be joining him on the small screen. Despite the fact that Fox and ABC Studios were planning on moving ahead with Criminal Minds' Ed Bernero on a pilot, Paul Lee (the president of the latter network) has confirmed that it is not moving ahead. No reason was given, but you can read his comments about working on other Marvel TV shows by clicking HERE. The series was originally described as an hour-long procedural which would have made Frank Castle a rising NYPD detective who moonlights as The Punisher in order to seek justice for those that the system failed.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=59782

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

With that last movie they already killed the Punisher on film, so it's nice to see they decided against pissing on the body with whatever this...thing was supposed to be. Family Friendly Dexter With A Skull Shirt.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Why would they...

I mean...it would be so loving incredibly easy to make an amazing Punisher series. Just copy the loving MAX series. JUST COPY IT! Or just borrow the basic setting and invent new criminal gangs if you want to be original. How the gently caress can't people get Punisher right? I'm not saying he's a simplistic character but for the love of god he has some very easy well defined aspects that everyone not working in comics seems to be wanting to poo poo upon.

Someone get HBO on this. It's not like it would be incredibly expensive to produce.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Why would they...

I mean...it would be so loving incredibly easy to make an amazing Punisher series. Just copy the loving MAX series. JUST COPY IT! Or just borrow the basic setting and invent new criminal gangs if you want to be original. How the gently caress can't people get Punisher right? I'm not saying he's a simplistic character but for the love of god he has some very easy well defined aspects that everyone not working in comics seems to be wanting to poo poo upon.

Someone get HBO on this. It's not like it would be incredibly expensive to produce.

I believe HBO passed on an animated series a few years back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anyone else read Ennis' new Fury MAX series? There's only two out so far but it seems halfway decent and both Frank and BARRACUDA are shown in the first couple pages. I want to see what happens when Fury and 'Cuda clash...

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Why would they...

Jon Hamm even looks like MAX Frank Castle. Just get him in Tom Jane shape, make like Sin City and copy every panel shot-for-shot, and it's 80% complete. It's 2 seasons of a series, easy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

site posted:

Has anyone else read Ennis' new Fury MAX series? There's only two out so far but it seems halfway decent and both Frank and BARRACUDA are shown in the first couple pages. I want to see what happens when Fury and 'Cuda clash...

Yeah I'm enjoying it so far. It's started a bit slower than I expected it to but at the end it's Ennis and Parlov doing their thing and sort of makes up for the lack of Punisher Max.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I'm really enjoying Ennis' take on Fury as a cynical, reluctant Cold Warrior. His fascination with Vietnam/Indochina is a little strange but the events of that time & place do seem to pave the road for a lot of military stuff that comes after it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm *really* hoping the new Fury line is in it for the long haul. That "retrospective" image in the first issue certainly suggests Ennis has a lot of ideas.

As entertaining as the first limited-run Fury MAX line was, it was incredibly hammy in places. "Peacemaker" was excellent, though. This one seems similarly determined and focused.

Also, don't expect another [good] Punisher movie any time soon - to make them worthwhile, they need to be hard Rs, and the studio that owns the Punisher rights at the moment is Lionsgate, who are more interested in making the Hunger Games movies, and they're practically addicted to making PG-13 movies these days.

They'll be forced to do *something* with the license, or they risk losing it. So expect another crappy movie like War Zone eventually.

TheJoker138 posted:

With that last movie they already killed the Punisher on film, so it's nice to see they decided against pissing on the body with whatever this...thing was supposed to be. Family Friendly Dexter With A Skull Shirt.

The worst part about "War Zone" was hearing great Ennis lines copy/pasted into the script in places where they couldn't think of anything more original to make him say. I cringed when I heard the Stevenson say "sometimes I'd like to get my hands on God."

Kraxxukalf posted:

I stopped reading after Valley Forge as Ennis wasn't the main writer anymore, but now that the Max series has apparently come to an end I just wanted to know if the 3 releases after are worth getting? (Girls in White Dresses, Six Hours To Kill, Welcome to the Bayou)

Or should I just get the Kingpin one? (and did I miss any other max releases?)

Girls in White Dresses sucked eggs. The one-shot at the end of it, however, is worth it. The same can be said for the one-shot at the end of Six Hours to Kill. Welcome to the Bayou is entertaining enough to warrant owning it.

"Naked Kills" is another decent one to own, which is a collection of three one-shots. There are other one-shots out there that haven't made it into TPBs as well. I have every single one, but I can't name them off the top of my head. vOv

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 22, 2012

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, don't expect another [good] Punisher movie any time soon - to make them worthwhile, they need to be hard Rs, and the studio that owns the Punisher rights at the moment is Lionsgate, who are more interested in making the Hunger Games movies, and they're practically addicted to making PG-13 movies these days.

They'll be forced to do *something* with the license, or they risk losing it. So expect another crappy movie like War Zone eventually.

The studio that owns The Punisher TV/Film license is Marvel Studios. Has been for a year or two now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

The studio that owns The Punisher TV/Film license is Marvel Studios. Has been for a year or two now.

Ah, evidently they already lost the rights. Good.

Seems there is hope, save for one thing...Stan Lee evidently *REALLLLY* hates the MAX books.

I have been wondering, though - in a by-the-book Ennis movie, who would play O'Brien? I mean, it's pretty obvious Fitzy was drawn as Pesci, Ink looks a shitload like Goldblum, the black Colonel from Valley Forge, Valley Forge is Morgan Freeman, the doesn't-give-a-poo poo Colonel at the firebase is William H. Macy...

Another one I'm having a hard time picturing is "Angel" from Born, which really should be the first movie they make.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 22, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ah, evidently they already lost the rights. Good.

Seems there is hope, save for one thing...Stan Lee evidently *REALLLLY* hates the MAX books.

Well then it's a good thing that Stan Lee has literally nothing to do with Marvel comics or Marvel Studios then, isn't it?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Well then it's a good thing that Stan Lee has literally nothing to do with Marvel comics or Marvel Studios then, isn't it?

It really is. But it also shows that he might genuinely feel that way. Usually, if someone from Marvel tells him to love a story, he'll write 5 pages of praise without actually reading the drat thing (see: Clone Saga, One More Day)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also War Zone was pretty cool I don't know what all y'all are smoking on

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Ironically, that might be one thing that WOULD get to Frank, as even though he's a mechanical killer, children seem to bring out his buried soft side.

My favorite part of Ennis' series is when Frank is completely beaten by the Mongolian, an even faster and more effective killer. And just as Frank's passing out, the bad guy makes a fatal mistake and hits a little girl...

Brings a tear to my eye, it does, especially when Frank proceeds to beat him to death with his leg.

Children and good women, the latter because he's sorry for having failed his wife as a husband. O'Brien might've been salty, but she always did the right thing. Same with Jenny, and his somber reflection on losing both of them like he did.

Also, I just thought of the perfect person to play O'Brien finally - Emily Mortimer. She already more or less nailed her in Formula 51.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So what's this Untold Tales of the Punisher MAX that's coming out today? I'm likely going to ignore it since it's not the same writer, and I suspect it's being pushed out by Marvel while the Punisher Max name is still hot (or lukewarm maybe).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

IUG posted:

So what's this Untold Tales of the Punisher MAX that's coming out today? I'm likely going to ignore it since it's not the same writer, and I suspect it's being pushed out by Marvel while the Punisher Max name is still hot (or lukewarm maybe).

I'll get it when the collection comes out, simply to have the entire run, but I'm honestly more enthusiastic about the new Fury MAX line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'll get it when the collection comes out, simply to have the entire run, but I'm honestly more enthusiastic about the new Fury MAX line.

Ditto, especially since it's written by Ennis.

• Locked thread