Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The HD 4000 gets higher passmark numbers than the 6630M that's in my Mini - that sound about right?

My 2.5 i5 Mini + SSD is as fast as I really need a computer to be, so I'd assume that an i7 Air with 8gb of RAM would be just as fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

y_y posted:

That's what I take that blurb to mean. Driving those 2 external displays and the internal display at 60Hz is going to need ~18Gbit/s of memory bandwidth...

Right, but my point is that if the top is closed and the internal monitor is not on, can it drive a 3rd external? Probably not, but a boy can dream.

Edit: Also I am working with 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 so, the requirements are a little less "balls to the wall" than what they are pointing at.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are there any good reviews/benchmarks of the new MBP yet? I'm assuming there are already people who have one and that some people were sent MBPs to review.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Would it be incredibly stupid to cancel my macbook pro retina order and just buy a 2011 i7 8 gig ram SSD 27 inch iMac instead ?

I really don't need the portability and I already have a decent working core 2 duo macbook pro. I just want to have the power to run the full app list of adobe's Master suite and maybe Unity / Diablo 3.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any good reviews/benchmarks of the new MBP yet? I'm assuming there are already people who have one and that some people were sent MBPs to review.

Some quick stuff here:

http://www.anandtech.com/tag/mac

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Jabe posted:

Would it be incredibly stupid to cancel my macbook pro retina order and just buy a 2011 i7 8 gig ram SSD 27 inch iMac instead ?

I really don't need the portability and I already have a decent working core 2 duo macbook pro. I just want to have the power to run the full app list of adobe's Master suite and maybe Unity / Diablo 3.

Incredibly stupid? No a short-sighted case of buyers remorse? probably.

If you really don't need the portability, get yourself a dock and just drive an external monitor at home. If you ever need to go anywhere, what luck! You have a laptop.

No reason to buy old technology when you've already ordered the new stuff. Bonus Points: Sell your old macbook pro, someone will always want it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

The Ivy Bridge processors aren't supposed to be that much more powerful than the Sandy Bridge series, right? I'm still debating selling my current 13" Air and upgrading to the new model, mostly for the BTO 8 gigs of RAM, but I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

So what kind of external optical drive should I look into getting for my MBP:TNG? Are the apple ones worth the extra money or can I just get a cheap one from Amazon?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

So what kind of external optical drive should I look into getting for my MBP:TNG? Are the apple ones worth the extra money or can I just get a cheap one from Amazon?

any cheap USB DVDRW works fine. I use an LG.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sulk posted:

The Ivy Bridge processors aren't supposed to be that much more powerful than the Sandy Bridge series, right? I'm still debating selling my current 13" Air and upgrading to the new model, mostly for the BTO 8 gigs of RAM, but I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

Not really worth it. The spec bump is relatively small and you already have Thunderbolt, so USB3 is no big deal either.
In my opinion it can’t be too long until the Air gets a retina display and a dedicated graphic chip.
13" @ 2560x1440 would be around 225 ppi, the new Pro has 220. :dance:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sulk posted:

They are something like a 3% compute improvement so not much. However, the HD4000 is much better (~35% I think) than the HD3000.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 18, 2019

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sulk posted:

I have the same MBA and I'm not sweating it.

There's no price drop and I don't really have a use for 8GB ram (as opposed to 4GB) with my usage, though the upgrade fee is pretty cheap with education pricing.

USB 3.0 isn't enough of a draw in and of itself on a laptop and the integrated graphics boost is still just better integrated graphics at the end of the day. If you're trying to shoehorn a 13" MBA into being a serious gaming rig you're making the wrong move, but for casual gaming the 3000 should already be doing the trick.

At worst, wait for refurbed 8GB ram models to start showing up first.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ptier posted:

I am trying to parse the "Multiple Displays" aspect of the new MBP:TNG.

I almost wonder that if it isn't driving that internal display, if it can drive the HDMI? I have heard nothing about it, and I will probably have to wait till someone tries it or I get my machine. 3 external monitors (2 MiniDP / 1 HDMI) would be freaking amazing, but I will gladly take 2 + Retina Display on the computer.

So Epic.

I will be trying at least 2 external and maybe 3. (hooking up to dual DVI KVM) In fact I was looking for multiple Thunderbolt ports on the new MBP for this reason and got HDMI as a bonus.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

Not really worth it. The spec bump is relatively small and you already have Thunderbolt, so USB3 is no big deal either.
In my opinion it can’t be too long until the Air gets a retina display and a dedicated graphic chip.
13" @ 2560x1440 would be around 225 ppi, the new Pro has 220. :dance:

USB3 matters because there's jack poo poo available for thunderbolt and it's all marked up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Noticed they are now taking presales for the new MacBooks on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...i=macbook%20air

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...i=MacBook%20Pro

How long until Amazon starts shipping do you think? I'd much rather buy from Amazon and save myself the sales tax.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

McFunkerson posted:

That sucks, but poo poo happens! Good thing you have that Time Machine backup. Take it into an Apple Store and they'll take care of you.

Is this the kind of think we can make an appointment for and go get fixed while we wait?

The nearest Apple store is about 2 hours away. I'm debating just ordering a 7200 RPM 2TB hard drive from NewEgg and switching it out myself.

We're going to be down to 2 graphics designers from 4 on Monday, so in theory she could just use one of their machines when hers dies but I'd rather have her get it fixed this week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Astro7x posted:

How long until Amazon starts shipping do you think? I'd much rather buy from Amazon and save myself the sales tax.

MacMall says 2-3 weeks so I'd guess the same?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

hannibal posted:

I will be trying at least 2 external and maybe 3. (hooking up to dual DVI KVM) In fact I was looking for multiple Thunderbolt ports on the new MBP for this reason and got HDMI as a bonus.

That's pretty much how I feel. Oh extra video out! After 2 video outs already!

And also USB3 is a pretty big deal when you just want a hard drive to do image backups. Even FW800 stuff is still more expensive than USB3.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

Is this the kind of think we can make an appointment for and go get fixed while we wait?

The nearest Apple store is about 2 hours away. I'm debating just ordering a 7200 RPM 2TB hard drive from NewEgg and switching it out myself.

We're going to be down to 2 graphics designers from 4 on Monday, so in theory she could just use one of their machines when hers dies but I'd rather have her get it fixed this week.

No. They will quote you like 4-5 business days to repair it if you bring it in. If you're that far away there might be other AASPs in the area.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

No. They will quote you like 4-5 business days to repair it if you bring it in. If you're that far away there might be other AASPs in the area.

Ahh gently caress. There's a repair center but it's still pretty far away.

My PC-using friends are going to make so much fun of me if they ever find out about this. Can we keep it quiet?

Why doesn't Apple have the neckbeards that do Dell warranty repairs come out and fix this stuff?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try calling Applecare. They say some areas have onsite service.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Scienter posted:

I have the same MBA and I'm not sweating it.

There's no price drop and I don't really have a use for 8GB ram (as opposed to 4GB) with my usage, though the upgrade fee is pretty cheap with education pricing.

USB 3.0 isn't enough of a draw in and of itself on a laptop and the integrated graphics boost is still just better integrated graphics at the end of the day. If you're trying to shoehorn a 13" MBA into being a serious gaming rig you're making the wrong move, but for casual gaming the 3000 should already be doing the trick.

At worst, wait for refurbed 8GB ram models to start showing up first.

It'd pretty much be only for development and VM benefits. The USB 3.0 and HD 4000 are just bonuses, but I don't really have a huge need for either. Basically it's just the RAM, which sounds dumb, but I've definitely noticed the squeeze of having 4GB. VMWare runs if I need it, but doing anything remotely complicated is a pain. I'll probably hold off because I'd rather have a retina Air than the retina Pro, though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can someone help me explain to a stupid person why the MBPTNG is priced well? This idiot is arguing that when they introduced retina to the iPhone and iPad they didn't increase price so why should they get away with it here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 256gig SSD factors in.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

It's priced well because they want to sell a lot of them. Keeping it under $2500 for the base model means more sales.

Also I'd assume that just the general price of technology from their production facilities are allowing them to keep the same profit margin at lower costs. Closed systems are pretty profitable.

It's apparent even in some of their upgrade packages. 16GB of ram for $200 is 50% higher than buying your own 16GB Mac memory off newegg, not a bad proprietary markup, especially for a system you probably can't easily change the ram yourself in. The 128GB SSD upgrade for a normal mac pro is $300, thats somewhere between $100-$150 more than replacing it yourself, sure, but apple uses some decent quality SSDs with really good transfer rates.

Technology costs almost always go down as things mature and even the mighty apple is starting to realize lower price points draw in more users.

Edit: If you meant "Why is that a good price" then the answer is because Apple is dialing down the price for good technology. Those level of specs used to be a $3000 17" Macbook Pro.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 12, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

It's priced well because they want to sell a lot of them. Keeping it under $2500 for the base model means more sales.

Also I'd assume that just the general price of technology from their production facilities are allowing them to keep the same profit margin at lower costs. Closed systems are pretty profitable.

It's apparent even in some of their upgrade packages. 16GB of ram for $200 is 50% higher than buying your own 16GB Mac memory off newegg, not a bad proprietary markup, especially for a system you probably can't easily change the ram yourself in. The 128GB SSD upgrade for a normal mac pro is $300, thats somewhere between $100-$150 more than replacing it yourself, sure, but apple uses some decent quality SSDs with really good transfer rates.

Technology costs almost always go down as things mature and even the mighty apple is starting to realize lower price points draw in more users.

Edit: If you meant "Why is that a good price" then the answer is because Apple is dialing down the price for good technology. Those level of specs used to be a $3000 17" Macbook Pro.

Oh I know that. He's saying it should be regular 15" MBP pricing. $1799 for that machine would be giving it away.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

Oh I know that. He's saying it should be regular 15" MBP pricing. $1799 for that machine would be giving it away.

Oh then tell him he's a total loving moron for thinking better specs with a massively improved display isn't worth a $300 price hike.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Because paying $500 extra for a retina display, extra memory, a SSD, an extra thunderbolt, and a hdmi port is a great deal

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ptier posted:

drat you and not getting 16GB of RAM like I did. I have to wait till the 22nd. But seriously, I plan on this machine being with me for a long time, RAM Ahoy!

I actually did get 16gb! Which is why I'm surprised it has shipped so quick for a full on custom specced one.

Serious question: Are there good, lag-free ways to use a new iPad as a 2nd monitor on the MBP? I want my 4920x1800 desktop real estate. :c00l:

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

I could see that if it was just a regular MBP with a better screen. It isn't that, though. It is more of a Macbook Air Pro than anything else.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Is there a way to configure the RAM on these or is what you see what you get?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What you see is what you get on those. Just decided to order a 13 inch MacBook Air for my wife from Amazon. Figured the $160 I'd save in sales tax would make it worth the wait even if it comes in two weeks. I would have loved to put more RAM in it for her, but not for basically $260 to buy it through Apple...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is there a way to configure the RAM on these or is what you see what you get?

You cannot configure ones from Amazon-- if they have one you want to purchase, awesome, otherwise, nope.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If the scaling works like the current model, my future 13" MBPTNG will run a native 2400x1600 and should scale to 1440x900 and look great, right?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I have a 13" Late 2010 Macbook Air. I love the thing, it is light, has great standby time, no useless DVD drive and boots up in seconds.

Two days ago it was simple. If the air was refreshed I was going to buy it, but now they released a (slightly thicker) Pro which has a better CPU, Graphics Card and memory options as well as being an incredibly awesome screen.

My questions are thus:

1) I use my air for XCode, browsing, email and the occasional office task - Do you think it is overkill
2) Has anyone seen if the retina ipad/iphone sims would reduce down in size (still be zoomed in 4x) so I would have a lot more room or is the real estate going to be the same.
3) Is there any decent videos about the scaling options on the Pro Retina when using applications like the above and how they compare when it is at a "Non Native" resolution - which is usually a no no.

I am thinking of getting the top end air upgraded to 8GB of RAM, the price difference is about £300 but for that I get the new screen and something which is just plain lovely looking.

I intend to answer the weight question tomorrow when I will go to the fruit store, but if anyone has answers to the above it would be awesome.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

KidDynamite posted:

The big difference is that the iPhone and iPad are dominant in their markets and selling hand over fist which gives Apple the bulk buying power to offset the cost of the new displays. The Mac has no such dominance and doesn't sell nearly the volume required to subsidize the cost of the new display. Sure they could use their billions and take a loss on it, but they have this odd tendency to like to make money on hardware sales.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ugh, the Mac Pro "upgrade" was not at all what I was hoping for. I've got a 2008 Pro that I use for music writing/coding/gaming and it's starting to show its age. I need the desktop so that I can cram it full of video cards, as I run an enormous three-monitor setup, and also to take advantage of the huge number of cores, since I tend to write a lot of parallelized code. I also just bought a 15" MBP in February when my old one broke.

If the current estimate on a real Pro upgrade is "later next year", I've got a few options:

- Shove an SSD and more RAM (and maybe new graphics cards? I've got a 285 GTX now) into my current machine to hold the gap for another year.
- Buy a "new" Mac Pro and try to dump it on eBay/Craigslist "later next year" when a new Pro comes out.
- See if the new MBP can drive three monitors (and meet my other computing needs), then ditch both my Mac Pro and my current MBP and just run the laptop as a desktop replacement until a new Pro comes along.

Ugh. I don't like any of these options, but I'll probably wind up going with the first one, even though the Mac Pro I've currently got uses stupidly-expensive ECC RAM.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

In the middle of all of this new stuff...how is this time for buying a new iMac? Does this mean that iMacs won't be refreshed until this time next year? I'm not worried about holding out for a retina display on one or anything, and my early-2008 model is getting pretty long in the tooth considering I use it around the clock for audio recording and video editing as well. I'm looking at the current refurbs, which don't seem to offer great savings over just going new, but would this be a bad time to invest in a new machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

In the middle of all of this new stuff...how is this time for buying a new iMac? Does this mean that iMacs won't be refreshed until this time next year? I'm not worried about holding out for a retina display on one or anything, and my early-2008 model is getting pretty long in the tooth considering I use it around the clock for audio recording and video editing as well. I'm looking at the current refurbs, which don't seem to offer great savings over just going new, but would this be a bad time to invest in a new machine?

I'm waiting on an iMac refresh too. I would say if you can wait until the end of summer then do so. It is possible (not necessarily likely) that a extra-keynote refresh announcement of the iMac happens when Mountain Lion drops. If there's no keynote/event it's really unlikely that it's Retina but otherwise USB 3 and/or "Turbo Boost"-ed processors would be in the cards I think.

There is still the fact that unreleased iMac models were showing up in benchmarks a few weeks ago, so there's hope.