Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once everyone gets their first couple roles you have everything you need to start enjoying the battles, if you are going to. Everything else is a lot of noise or situational stuff. I guess some people just like big lists of options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

jivjov posted:

I see this as part of the problem. A game shouldn't take hours of playing to get good. This is the same thing that keeps dragging down FFXIII for me; if the game isn't good from sometime in the first hour or so (barring any necessary tutorial time) then its going to lose a huge segment of audience early in. I shouldn't have to hit level 30 before things start being good and interesting.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Like, there is barely any content early on that's cool. Yeah, that was another pretty big problem. It was definitely worth it to force myself through those early levels, though. But did it loose a whole lot of players because of it? Most definitely.

I think the reason I was able to get through it was because it was my first MMO, and I was just so impressed by the fact that it was one big world with a bunch of real people running around in it. I was wicked excited to play it, and I went and looked over the strategy guide before I even played it. At Christmas, I got to get one present early, and it was that one. My other ones pretty much sat ignored for weeks. I had never played a game like it before, and I was just amazed by the whole thing. The only online game I had played before was PSO on the Gamecube, and quite frankly it blew it out of the water and made it look extremely primitive. FFXI may be hilariously dated now, and was aged even faster when WoW came out, but in 2002 it was like some new kind of magical technology to me.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I sure did love XI when I started in 2005. Made many fond memories with the first linkshell I joined, although eventually endgame split us all apart. I ended up hopping between a lot of different endgame shells, because I could never really find a schedule that I could keep consistantly. Eventually me and some friends jumped ship to another server, but I moved back to Quetzalcoatl after most of them quit for XIV.

I've been playing off and on since then. I still consider RDM to be my "main" job, but when they went through their little useless period I ended up driving WHM to 99, and I feel pretty comfortable with that.

One of the most disappointing things is how every time I come back my friends list has less and less people on each time. The last stretch of time I played, there were only three people who logged on regularly, and the few conversations I had with them were short. But probably the hardest part about coming back is time is how every time the gear I had during my last stint has suddenly become obsolete, and it's difficult to drive myself to join all these random groups that pop up for the new content these days. I still don't "get" Voidwatch, and since nobody ever shouts for the first tier of monsters I have no practical experience with it. I'd be content if I could just get a piece of WHM AF3 to +2.

I let my last subscription run without renewing back in February. I do like some of the details put out on the latest roadmap, though, and I'd love to finally wrap up WotG and ASA stories. If I do come back, I'll probably hit up the goon shell since it's conveniently on the same server.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ Please note that your subscription to FFXI does not "run out. You have to manually specify in the Playonline interface that you wish to cease payments, or have them autocancel when they try to withdraw from a closed account. Sometimes, the former doesn't work and you'll have to contact SE directly and stay on hold for about two hours to cancel your sub.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The only reason I think they should make a single player FFXI is so that all the people that went 'EWWW an MMO, no way I'm playing a game with a monthly fee, hurf durf!'

I don't know why people have this attitude towards folks who don't like MMOs. I couldn't care less about a monthly fee; if that's the price to entry, then it's just a non-negotiable thing. What I do hate about MMOs is their userbase. 99% of the people on those drat things are of a very, very particular and very, very despicable ilk, and a player will have to work with and get to know them by necessity.

The correlation fallacy is in full effect when it comes to MMOs. It's not a case of "they addict people and ruin lives" so much as it is that it attracts the sort of personality that meshes with that psychological gameplay "payout" structure, and they are almost always the worst of the worst.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 12, 2012

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I think by far my least favorite thing about Final Fantasy XI was equipment macros. Suddenly it's not enough to have just one set of equipment to be competent, but you need to quest/buy/craft several different pieces, just so you can switch between them IN-BATTLE for every ability. As a Black Mage, I remember having different sets for EVERY elemental spell, plus one for enfeebling magic and another for Dark magic.

Honestly I'm glad you can't change out equipment during battles in FFXIV.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

^The only thing I hated about macros was that, when I started, I played on my PS2, which meant that I couldn't take advantage of windower macros and all the stupid gearswap poo poo you could do with it, which really bulked my macros up. Macro Books were the best UI improvement pre-Abyssea.

I've long since switched to PC, but I can't be assed to remake all my macros with windower, and thank god the macro pallette doesn't take three seconds to load like it does on PS2.

The White Dragon posted:

^ Please note that your subscription to FFXI does not "run out. You have to manually specify in the Playonline interface that you wish to cease payments, or have them autocancel when they try to withdraw from a closed account. Sometimes, the former doesn't work and you'll have to contact SE directly and stay on hold for about two hours to cancel your sub.

I've been using the SE account management thing for about a year now, and have been using the click and buy option where you have to manually renew every thirty days.

I know what you're talking about, but it's been a long time since subscription canceling was that rear end.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 12, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I just dicked around with FF4 DS again after it sat in my shelf for a few months, I've never played it before. Is it just me or is this game way harder than others in the series? I'm only a couple hours in and the underground waterway was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I got to the boss and it nearly oneshot Rydia, who died and missed out on fight exp because I ran out of pheonix downs. Now she's even further behind at 15 while Cecil is 19 and Tellah was 18. I also had a really hard time when I first got her and she was way underlevelled, I had to grind for a good 45 minutes to get comfortable with fights and I was still having to use magic all the time in the waterway on random mobs. Now I have Edward in the same situation.

And what's with this game and terrifying boss monsters? The octomammoth and antlion are both horrible. :gonk:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I just dicked around with FF4 DS again after it sat in my shelf for a few months, I've never played it before. Is it just me or is this game way harder than others in the series? I'm only a couple hours in and the underground waterway was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I got to the boss and it nearly oneshot Rydia, who died and missed out on fight exp because I ran out of pheonix downs. Now she's even further behind at 15 while Cecil is 19 and Tellah was 18. I also had a really hard time when I first got her and she was way underlevelled, I had to grind for a good 45 minutes to get comfortable with fights and I was still having to use magic all the time in the waterway on random mobs. Now I have Edward in the same situation.

And what's with this game and terrifying boss monsters? The octomammoth and antlion are both horrible. :gonk:

Was Rydia in the back row? Grinding with Rydia in the desert is the worst thing you can do because fights in the desert are harder with just Cecil and Rydia than they are in the cave with Cecil, Rydia, and Tellah, due to Tellah being able to one hit shot kill everything with his lightning.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I don't know why people have this attitude towards folks who don't like MMOs. I couldn't care less about a monthly fee; if that's the price to entry, then it's just a non-negotiable thing. What I do hate about MMOs is their userbase. 99% of the people on those drat things are of a very, very particular and very, very despicable ilk, and a player will have to work with and get to know them by necessity.

The correlation fallacy is in full effect when it comes to MMOs. It's not a case of "they addict people and ruin lives" so much as it is that it attracts the sort of personality that meshes with that psychological gameplay "payout" structure, and they are almost always the worst of the worst.

This might be completely anecdotal, but I know a couple people who stated they don't want to play MMOs because they have a monthly fee. Not saying that's everyone, and there are plenty of legitimate reasons to not like MMOs, but the monthly fee is something I see tossed around and you either need a monthly fee or real money transactions to cover operating costs.

That said, FFXI in its current state has a monthly fee that I think it was too expensive for what you get these days if you've already finished much of the old content like me. I think it's logical that since SE is obviously spending way less money developing and maintaining the game today, I shouldn't have to pay the same amount of money to play it as I did in 2003. I think a lot of people would see that comment and use the whole awful "gamer entitlement" phrase that's popular these days, but I'm just a consumer who wants to get his money's worth.

Are you also implying that by playing an MMO, I am of a particular, despicable ilk? That's kind of how I interpret that when you say 99% of people who play MMOs are the worst human filth imaginable.

I think it's pretty silly and hypocritical to judge someone by something as trivial as what video games they like. I don't really think "terrible community" is something that applies to only MMOs, but gamers in general. I have played many different types of games, met many people who identify as gamers, looked at a lot of videogame discussions online for years, and people are pretty goddamn horrendous across the board. There is an almost overwhelming amount of absolutely horrendous people who are into videogames, so should I basically write off all gamers and not associate with anyone who likes video games?

Actually, that's probably not a bad idea and there are plenty of people who do that, but I'm a big peace loving "let's be friends" hippie and not judgmental enough.

Well, I do judge people who watch My Little Pony and Fox News, but those are special cases.

Point is, there many be lots of terrible people who play online games, but there are legitimately cool ones, too. And those people are the ones who make these games fun. If you want to totally avoid terrible people, then why the hell are you posting in a forum for video games? And of all the threads you could have posted in, you picked the Final Fantasy thread. I mean, you don't see any irony at all, here?

tl;dr Don't be a douche and generalize people.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 12, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Are you also implying that by playing an MMO, I am of a particular, despicable ilk? That's kind of how I interpret that when you say 99% of people who play MMOs are the worst human filth imaginable.
I dunno man you sure takin' this personally :smug:

quote:

I think it's pretty silly and hypocritical to judge someone by something as trivial as what video games they like.
Well, I'll put it this way: I know folks in real life who happen to also play MMOs on the side, and they're a mixed bag, some of them are great, most of them are awful. On the other hand, I've never met anyone in an MMO that I didn't know in real life who wasn't an obsessed rear end in a top hat who refused to let anyone else enjoy themselves. Oh, I don't want to powerlevel? I don't read guides and poo poo and min-max everything? I don't want to play this for more than an hour or two before going doing something else? Well then you're not loving dedicated enough and no you can't just look around the game world or hang out or whatever you filthy plebeian, and they don't even WANT my kind in any party. It's like, dude, relax. I ain't hardcore about this poo poo but I've never met an MMO player in-game who didn't expect me to dedicate my life to it, and iced me out completely once they found out I had no interest in that playstyle or lifestyle.

No joke, what made me swear off MMOs forever was when I was having a pretty good time with this group, then I was like "oh man this is pretty great, sec, gonna grab a beer" and this one rear end in a top hat just loving EXPLODES all "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT THIS GROUP BY NOT BEING TOTALLY AND PERFECTLY AWARE OF WHAT'S GOING ON?!" and I was like you know what, I'm done. I'm just fuckin' done.

v MQ had some fantastic music. The story isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but it's totally Saturday Morning Cartoon material and very self-aware at least.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 12, 2012

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

I just thought about it... I think my very first Final Fantasy was... Mystic Quest. :staredog:

I loved Mystic Quest and I still replay it from time to time. Sure it was linear and pretty damned easy (babby's first RPG) but it had some great music and the storyline wasn't total crap.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, FF4 DS is the hardest version of the game for sure. Some bosses that were jokes or pretty easy in the original are really tough. The fight against Golbez in the underworld was a glorify cutscene with Rydia killing him in one hit is now a full boss fight, with Golbez changing his barrier constantly and using hit all spells, now with about 20,000 HPs instead of 5000.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The White Dragon posted:

Well, I'll put it this way: I know folks in real life who happen to also play MMOs on the side, and they're a mixed bag, some of them are great, most of them are awful. On the other hand, I've never met anyone in an MMO that I didn't know in real life who wasn't an obsessed rear end in a top hat who refused to let anyone else enjoy themselves. Oh, I don't want to powerlevel? I don't read guides and poo poo and min-max everything? I don't want to play this for more than an hour or two before going doing something else? Well then you're not loving dedicated enough and no you can't just look around the game world or hang out or whatever you filthy plebeian, and they don't even WANT my kind in any party. It's like, dude, relax. I ain't hardcore about this poo poo but I've never met an MMO player in-game who didn't expect me to dedicate my life to it, and iced me out completely once they found out I had no interest in that playstyle or lifestyle.

There's a lot of this in the MMO world, it's true. The open communities have a tendency to attract the least pleasant of the lot--go onto the official forums for pretty much any of them, and it's unanimously terrible. Sadly, there are some people who carry the rhetoric thrown around in those circles into real life, and these are not the most pleasant people to be around.

But, by no means is it everyone, and what you get out of an MMO has a lot to do with the people you surround yourself with. The people I know who still enjoy FFXI do it because they mostly just play with a particular group of folks. I would have stopped playing WoW many years ago if I hadn't fortuitously stumbled into a similarly pleasant crowd (not a single one of whom has ever come close to telling any of us we ought to dedicate our lives to it, for the record). If I take up FFXIV 2.0, the first priority will be to sniff out people like these.

But, MMOs are absolutely not for everyone...and I still stand by the belief that XI and XIV should never have been considered part of the 'main' Final Fantasy series. v:v:v

Mazed fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 12, 2012

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I'm getting more and more excited about FJF as it draws closer. Just five more days now! I convinced two, maybe three of my friends to register too. Can't wait to play it. :)

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Is it :goonsay: to be mad Cloud not only does trade in his semirealistic motocycle for some weird thing that seems designed to hold a shitload of swords? I got kind of a red flag when i found out there's no offical name for that sword-in-sword thing he has (which I'll just call Cluster Sword for short). At first I thought it was just a goof on the idea a player never sells old swords, but the idea they're inside each other and you'd have a reason to use 7 of them seems dumb. I thought the fact he normally has a huge hunk of barely sharp lead was the iconic thing.

Esp when you could be hackin materia into the normal sword like freakin ammunition for some sweet particle effects instead :black101:

keet fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 12, 2012

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
It's for Omnislash :downs:

I just picked up Advent Children complete for 8 bucks in one of those clearance bins at Walmart. So, if you're interested in maybe picking it up and happen to be at a Walmart, take a peak. I just think it's some fun action sequences with good music.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno man you sure takin' this personally :smug:

I suppose I did, and that's a little embarrassing on my part. You're free to bash a game all you like (and boy are there plenty of legitimate reasons to not like FFXI or XIV) but I did kind of take your post as a personal attack whether you meant it or not. Feel free to poo poo on games all you want, but can we please talk about games without having to bash each other?

The White Dragon posted:

Yes, those people are horrible assholes. And in fact, the same kind of people made me swear off MMOs for a while, too. Thing is, not everybody is like that.

When I came back to FFXI for a while after ragequitting it for 3 years, I sort of stumbled upon the secret way to enjoy that game - to not give a poo poo. I had realized that the kind of people who treat the game like a second job (and will so far as kick you from their linkshell if you don't attend things - I've been booted out of two endgame shells because I didn't feel like playing sometimes) are utterly toxic individuals and having to be in a group of people like that will do nothing but make your life miserable. If a group will do that, that's not a group you should be in. And some of the stuff in that game (i.e. HNMS) were beyond ridiculous, and I refused to do them. Luckily, the RL friend of mine who encouraged me to come back had a group of ingame friends who thought the exact same way, and the year or two we played together was an absolute blast. It's not some binary thing where either you are super hardcore or not play the game at all - there's something in-between that if you look hard enough.

Elitist assholes flock to competitive games. I used to play in local fighting game tournaments when I had more time, and the fighting game community is similar, if not even worse in this respect. (And in fact, I found a lot of people in it who played FFXI, too!) But playing fighting games doesn't automatically make you an rear end in a top hat, nor does playing MMOs, although judging people by what games they like is ridiculous as hell. Your taste in video games of all things does not define you as a person, or, at least it shouldn't - if it does, that's pretty bad.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 12, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Lilli posted:

I'm getting more and more excited about FJF as it draws closer. Just five more days now!

Four. The event starts midnight of the 17th, Tokyo time. That's Saturday at about 8:00 in the morning for me, here in the Pacific time zone.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rasamune posted:

Four. The event starts midnight of the 17th, Tokyo time. That's Saturday at about 8:00 in the morning for me, here in the Pacific time zone.

Or even earlier, depending on when this guy finishes his playthrough:
http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php

But then people went and voted him a Blue Mage with no Beastmaster (probably one of the most time-consuming jobs) and Berserker. So it may not be a quick run.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Speaking of Berserkers, I just compared the amount of money raised thus far to the amount of players under "Berserker Risk." Everyone under that is guaranteed at least one already, and 4 particularly unlucky individuals are granted 2 of them. I can't say I'm particularly envious of those people.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That about describes how me and my friends are handling our time with FFXIV. We're all been at it for about 3 weeks now and just got ourselves into a Grand Company. Most of the time is just us fooling around with exploring and sharing notes as we find out about new stuff.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schwartzcough posted:

Or even earlier, depending on when this guy finishes his playthrough:
http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php

But then people went and voted him a Blue Mage with no Beastmaster (probably one of the most time-consuming jobs) and Berserker. So it may not be a quick run.

Could be worse. At the moment he's got Blue Mage/Berserker/Ranger/Dragoon. Back when things were just starting up it looked like he was gonna be stuck with Thief/Red Mage/Bard/Dancer.

Dragonatrix posted:

Speaking of Berserkers, I just compared the amount of money raised thus far to the amount of players under "Berserker Risk." Everyone under that is guaranteed at least one already, and 4 particularly unlucky individuals are granted 2 of them. I can't say I'm particularly envious of those people.

What's the donation count at? Last few times I've visited the main site, the Chip In bar only said $502, and there's 69 people doing Berserker risk.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

What's the donation count at? Last few times I've visited the main site, the Chip In bar only said $502, and there's 69 people doing Berserker risk.

It was at $737 when I checked earlier today, and no one else had signed up for Berserkers. I think that's pretty impressive in itself, really, since it hasn't even started yet and it's almost halfway to its goal.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

In general it's harder but the difficulty's inconsistent as hell. Some boss fights will be absurdly easy while others (like Leviathan and CPU) are pretty loving dumb. CPU is especially annoying because it will one shot everyone (except cecil) when the fight first starts unless you have people defend in the very small window of time before it attacks. If cecil/rydia/edge survive you just attack/bahamut/throw and it'll likely be dead. Having those 3 survive, or get revived in time before anything else attacks is a pain though. Leveling to have everyone survive the attack without relying on RNG damage taken would probably bore you to death.

Then you get back to the moon, give Rosa Omnicast, and breeze through the rest of the game because half the enemies on the moon will kill themselves with magic (due to omnicasted wall) while they others just flail away at Cecil who you kept on perma-guard with counter on top of it.

Augments are both cool and terrible in the game, and all the good ones you won't get unless you're looking for them (in a walkthrough) because nobody's going to normally use augments on temporary characters. Then again they might if NG+ didn't have a cap on the number of runs.

FF4 DS gets an A for effort but it's ultimately the only real conclusion one could expect from SE at this point.

Toad on a Hat posted:

I loved Mystic Quest and I still replay it from time to time. Sure it was linear and pretty damned easy (babby's first RPG) but it had some great music and the storyline wasn't total crap.

It was made as a way to get people introduced to RPGs and yeah, it had some of the best RPG Music on the SNES by a long shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTI8j1egZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0cGN8cO6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkVVkUgjy0E

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dragonatrix posted:

Imagine being one of those four and then randomly getting a third Berserker.

errrrrgh

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FF4DS is fantastic. I'll also defend the way you get Aguments with my dying breath because basically it's only "counter intuitive" to people who are metagaming based off playing previous versions. Would you have rather had people get nothing for giving abiltiies to party members who leave?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I cannot get over how much I love 13-2's final boss theme. It's like Mizuta and Suzuki had a lovechild together of furious electronica and a choir.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Then you get back to the moon, give Rosa Omnicast, and breeze through the rest of the game because half the enemies on the moon will kill themselves with magic (due to omnicasted wall) while they others just flail away at Cecil who you kept on perma-guard with counter on top of it.

Augments are both cool and terrible in the game, and all the good ones you won't get unless you're looking for them (in a walkthrough) because nobody's going to normally use augments on temporary characters. Then again they might if NG+ didn't have a cap on the number of runs.

Don't you think these two issues cancel themselves out? If you can only get the good augments, like Omnicast, by looking in a walkthrough, then the end of the game was only a breeze if you used a walkthrough. I played through the game twice and never came across Omnicast.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

iastudent posted:

That about describes how me and my friends are handling our time with FFXIV. We're all been at it for about 3 weeks now and just got ourselves into a Grand Company. Most of the time is just us fooling around with exploring and sharing notes as we find out about new stuff.

Are you on Sargantas or Aegis? I'm in the goon shell on Sargantas are I've been having a ton of fun playing with those guys.

This is sort of the amazing thing about it - FFXIV is not a very good game. It's way better now, but in many ways its still extremely mediocre when compared to modern MMOs and even FFXI which came out a decade earlier. From a game design standpoint, World of Warcraft is so much better than FFXIV. It is superior in almost every way sans the graphics, and really, it should curb stomp it into the ground. And most people would agree, and the number of subscriptions prove it.

But here's the weird part: I am having way more fun playing FFXIV than I ever did playing WoW. How can that possibly be? That makes no logical sense! Am I just insane?

Well, I think a good friend of mine in FFXI probably put it the best: "You know, I don't think this game is all that great. But it's not really the game that's all that important, it's the people you play it with."

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

We're on Ragnarok actually. It was the lowest population server I guess when they decided to start playing it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I think a good friend of mine in FFXI probably put it the best: "You know, I don't think this game is all that great. But it's not really the game that's all that important, it's the people you play it with."

I see this reasoning brought up all the time in the Board Game thread, where people justify playing lackluster games because they're having fun with friends. Of course, the counterargument that inevitably comes up is "You can fun with friends doing anything anyway, so why not do it playing a good game?"

Not getting into the quality of FF11/14/MMORPGs in general, but it's kind of a flimsy excuse to justify playing a game because of people when you could have fun playing with similar people in any other game, even really lovely ones.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

Imagine being one of those four and then randomly getting a third Berserker.

errrrrgh

As of 3 hours ago, there's enough donations for four people at Berserker Risk to get TWO extra berserkers (in addition to whatever they roll).

Poor bastards.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk? Has anyone ever actually beaten Neo-Exdeath on a four-Berserker run?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hedera Helix posted:

So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk?

The way the challenge is set up, even with Berserker Risk, you still get at least 1 Wind Crystal job. So at most, you'd wind up with only 3 Berserkers.

That said, if anyone actually winds up with 3 Berserkers, I pity them greatly. 1 Berserker is tough, but manageable. I don't even want to imagine the hell of having 3 Berserkers. Especially if you wind up with something like Thief as your Wind Job.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hedera Helix posted:

So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk? Has anyone ever actually beaten Neo-Exdeath on a four-Berserker run?

Anything is possible at Level 99, especially if they get like Thief (+eva skill), Knight (equip knight stuff skills), or Monk (counter or HP-plus) as their first crystal job; it'll just be more boring than watching poo poo bake in the sun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That's impossible.

Hard Mode only rolls from classes you have available, obviously, so you'll always have a wind crystal job. And Berserker Risk...

Rules posted:

Worried that Hard Mode won't be hard enough? For every $10 donated before the Fiesta starts a random Hard Mode player who opts into Berserker Risk will be given another Berserker randomly replacing one of their non-Wind Jobs!

That said, three Berserkers and a Thief only sounds moderately less impossible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I see this reasoning brought up all the time in the Board Game thread, where people justify playing lackluster games because they're having fun with friends. Of course, the counterargument that inevitably comes up is "You can fun with friends doing anything anyway, so why not do it playing a good game?"

Not getting into the quality of FF11/14/MMORPGs in general, but it's kind of a flimsy excuse to justify playing a game because of people when you could have fun playing with similar people in any other game, even really lovely ones.

I guess, but my counter-counter argument is "either way, you're still having fun, so who cares?" Don't need to justify it to anybody. A friend of mine thinks that Sonic Unleashed is a really fun game. I wouldn't call it a great game, or even a particularly good one, but if he enjoys it, more power to him. Another friend of mine has a bizarre, intense love for Dynasty Warriors games that I will never understand. I'm not going to stop them and tell them they're not allowed to like said things just because it's flawed. I wouldn't exactly recommend FF14 to anybody in its current state, unless I knew their particular tastes really well and I was drat sure they would like it. What can I say? I have very peculiar, particular tastes in games that sometimes deviate pretty far from the norm, but I just like what I like and there's no explaining it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah...I signed up for Berserker Risk. For like a week it was stuck at $82 and I was like "Heh, the odds of getting one are pretty slim"

I look today and "what the gently caress?"

I'm an idiot.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Beating FF5 with one berserker is mathematically possible. Here is the link http://www.garath.net/Sullla/FF/berserker1.html . A 1 thief 3 berserker game isn't hard in the sense that you need to be crafty and plan your bosses out. You just need to grind and play some bosses 100+ to 300+ times.

Edit: Also Here is someone playing the game with 3 berserkers and a nanny. http://www.dos486.com/ff/nanny/page1.shtml

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

Because I'm full of bad ideas, I'm working on it very slowly (currently at Sandworm, so check back with me on that one in about 7 months when I'll finally be either at, or barely past, Soul Cannon :v:) but as far as I'm aware, Neo-Exdeath is flatout impossible in any realistic sense. With an infinite number of attempts at the fight, you might be able to win eventually but since there's 6 possible targets in the fight (which is an identical issue to the Sandworm), as well as such fun things as White Hole, Grand Cross and Almagest to contend with on top of a relatively hefty actual HP amount to cut through it'd take a very long time.

...And since Necrophobe is most likely impossible as well, you don't have the luxury of starting almost right outside Exdeath's door every time you want to try either.