Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

the spyder posted:

My sales rep just tried to sell me vSphere standard edition... For my two, 192gb ram, dual 8 core hosts... He claimed it supported HA and vMotion, and that I only needed one license...

Correct me if I am wrong, but for vSphere Essentials Plus and vCenter foundations, I am looking at $7500~ in licensing for these two hosts...

Do not listen to this guy.

192gb in each host, or total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

vSphere standard is by CPU, so I believe you would need four licenses of vSphere standard to cover the cpu's, but it has a 32gb/license limit on RAM.

As for the vSphere Essentials Plus, if you're talking about the kit that includes vCenter. "VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts (Max 2 processors per host) and 192 GB vRAM entitlement" So 64gb/server

EDIT: VMWare noob here, so I might be wrong
He can have 192 GB in one server if that's all he wants to use, vRAM entitlements are cumulative and not averaged across your environment.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Misogynist posted:

He can have 192 GB in one server if that's all he wants to use, vRAM entitlements are cumulative and not averaged across your environment.

I could be reading it wrong, but it sounds like he may have 192gb mem per server, which would make licensing 5 pricy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Erwin posted:

You really give every VM 2 vCPUs, or am I reading that wrong?

No, I meant as a minimum generally, I didn't mean all VMs get a fixed number or something

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I was curious if any of you knew of any "right-size" tools for Xenserver? I love Veeam One as it'll give me an extremely simple breakdown to bring to management. I'll be moving off of this Xenserver environment shortly (once I've received my Vsphere and new Veeam licenses) but I'd like to get a good idea of the current environments ACTUAL resource needs. I inherited this cluster, and a huge number of servers are just hanging out mostly idle and greatly overprovisioned- but I'd like an automated tool to report that to me over a time period.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

No, I meant as a minimum generally, I didn't mean all VMs get a fixed number or something

A minimum of 2 is what I thought you meant. That's really stupid.

DrOgdenWernstrom
Sep 9, 2009

I reject your reality
And substitute my own

Misogynist posted:

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/small-business/compare-kits.html

Under vRam entitlement for Essentials Plus, why does it say "32GB (192GB total)" if it's cumulative?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

Don't do this. Our rule is a maximum of one vCPU unless proven to be CPU bound. Even our primary exchange datastore server has only a single vCPU for ~600 mailboxes. I bet of our ~160 VMs we have less than 10 that have more than a single vCPU.

I would strongly suggest you read up on coscheduling. Allocating two vCPUs when it is not needed will typically reduce performance not just overall, but also on that specific VM.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
got it working. Its drinking time.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/small-business/compare-kits.html

Under vRam entitlement for Essentials Plus, why does it say "32GB (192GB total)" if it's cumulative?

I have 192gb total across two boxes. However I hope it is not 32gb per machine, but per CPU, which still would not make since. This is a good question and it looks like the Essentials Kit is what I am after. But first I need my E5-2650's to arrive.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The "total 192GB" is
code:
32GB vRAM entitlements * 3 (max # of hosts possible) * 2 (max # of CPUs per host possible) = 192GB total vRAM entitlements
in a vCenter cluster with the Essentials Plus Kit licensing.

It's definitely not 32GB per host as you feared; the standard setup for Essentials Plus would be 3 hosts, 2 pCPUs/host, 64GB pRAM/host. I think the Essentials Plus licenses might come as 6 CPU licenses you apply to the ESXi hosts directly, so whether or not you can apply 3 licenses on each of 2 hosts (as opposed to the "intended" 2 licenses on each of 3 hosts) is a good question.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

HalloKitty posted:

Chapter 6.

I don't know a whole lot about VMware yet, but I do know that you're wrong.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's good to know that before I inadvertently spread any other misinformation.
Always good to find out the right way to do things, no problem admitting I'm wrong.

Does it not matter if you have cores to spare? I guess I should read up before I make another stupid statement, thanks all

Edit: bought the above book

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 7, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

My sales rep just tried to sell me vSphere standard edition... For my two, 192gb ram, dual 8 core hosts... He claimed it supported HA and vMotion, and that I only needed one license...

Correct me if I am wrong, but for vSphere Essentials Plus and vCenter foundations, I am looking at $7500~ in licensing for these two hosts...
vSphere is per socket, so you need 4 licenses, and that wouldn't cover your physical RAM.

HalloKitty posted:

Does it not matter if you have cores to spare?
You'll get better performance on the vCPUs you do assign when things get busy.

DrOgdenWernstrom posted:

It's 3 (2 sockets) hosts max on the bundles, 6 sockets.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 7, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Also remember that this is a vRAM entitlement, not a physical memory entitlement for the host. That means you have some room to keep free RAM for HA failover and whatever else you need it for.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

Also remember that this is a vRAM entitlement, not a physical memory entitlement for the host. That means you have some room to keep free RAM for HA failover and whatever else you need it for.
Or don't, if you have non-critical VMs 8(

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

Does it not matter if you have cores to spare? I guess I should read up before I make another stupid statement, thanks all
Define cores to spare? If you have less vCPUs allocated than you have cores, then you will see no performance penalty. If, like the rest of the world, you are stacked up 5+ vCPUs to cores, you will see a penalty. A VM cannot run until it has all of the cores allocated to it available. So if you have a 2 vCPU VM that needs to run some work, and only 1 core is available, it will wait for the second core to become available. It will hold the idle core during this time. VMware's relaxed coscheduling can fudge this a bit, but for every clock cycle that one core runs, a second core must run as well.

When you read that you should allocate the minimum number of cores necessary, it's not just a suggestion. We size based on MHz. If a single core VM is running 50% CPU or higher for extended amounts of time, and the application is multithreaded, we will add a core. Otherwise it is just 1 core, no matter what. We regularly tell application vendors to gently caress off on their requirements.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

adorai posted:

Define cores to spare? If you have less vCPUs allocated than you have cores, then you will see no performance penalty. If, like the rest of the world, you are stacked up 5+ vCPUs to cores, you will see a penalty. A VM cannot run until it has all of the cores allocated to it available. So if you have a 2 vCPU VM that needs to run some work, and only 1 core is available, it will wait for the second core to become available. It will hold the idle core during this time. VMware's relaxed coscheduling can fudge this a bit, but for every clock cycle that one core runs, a second core must run as well.

When you read that you should allocate the minimum number of cores necessary, it's not just a suggestion. We size based on MHz. If a single core VM is running 50% CPU or higher for extended amounts of time, and the application is multithreaded, we will add a core. Otherwise it is just 1 core, no matter what. We regularly tell application vendors to gently caress off on their requirements.

Makes sense to me, and it's obviously something I hadn't thought closely enough about. We have a Citrix VDI box that needs reconfiguring a bit based on this (that said, I didn't configure it, but I'll definitely rectify that!)
By spare I mean simply that your vCPUs aren't exceeding physically available cores. I realise this probably isn't the most common of scenarios, but I do have a number of machines with 8-12 cores and a load that I can spread pretty evenly over them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only thing I will give 2 vCPUs on without doing metrics first is Terminal Servers / XenApp servers.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Speaking of allocating vCPUs, can anyone speak to the best way to do virtual sockets vs virtual cores in vSphere 5? My assumption has always been 1 vCPU, 2 vCPU, 4 vCPU would be 1 socket 1 core, 2 socket 1 core, 2 socket 2 cores respectively, but it may not actually make a difference. I was at a VMUG today and someone asked that question and the presenter didn't know.

My only thought is that two sockets would allow the VM to straddle physical CPUs in the case of NUMA?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I benched importing/exporting ~ 10GB MySQL databases - 2 cores vs 4 cores and the 2 core won every time, by more than I thought. I almost want to say the 1 core VM was a hair quicker as well.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Erwin posted:

Speaking of allocating vCPUs, can anyone speak to the best way to do virtual sockets vs virtual cores in vSphere 5? My assumption has always been 1 vCPU, 2 vCPU, 4 vCPU would be 1 socket 1 core, 2 socket 1 core, 2 socket 2 cores respectively, but it may not actually make a difference. I was at a VMUG today and someone asked that question and the presenter didn't know.

My only thought is that two sockets would allow the VM to straddle physical CPUs in the case of NUMA?

There's no difference between sockets or cores, it's just a way to tinker with licensing and compatibility for the guest.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I have precisely one VM with >1 vCPU in my environment, and it's a Dynamics AX AOS that will absolutely hammer the poo poo out of a single vCPU. Everything else gets 1 vCPU.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

Erm, not quite.

Relaxed co-scheduling only "fudges it a bit" if you're underutilizing most of your cores by, say, hammering a multi-CPU VM with a heavy-computing single-threaded workload. This causes stop-start-stop-start effects like shoe-shining an LTO tape. Most of the time, it is a really, really significant SMP performance boost over hypervisors that don't implement relaxed co-scheduling, precisely because it doesn't need to do what you're describing as long as the CPUs are reasonably equally loaded.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 8, 2012

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Is there a way to extract performance metrics from vCenter to another graphing tool? I'd like to take the graphs I can see in vSphere Client under the "Performance" tab and get them into something like Graphite or Munin. I looked a bit at SNMP, but vCenter only has traps, no performance counters at all.

I know I'm a little late here, but PowerCLI has the get-stat command, if you do a little googling there's some great posts by LucD on using it.
You can also use get-view on virtualmachine and gather the VM summary, which will always have quickstats and is very fast to return. There are also pretty simple techniques to gather the realtime stats as well.

I wrote a bespoke script with it to gather VM cpu/mem stats from 17 vCenters and dig out what needed rightsizing, so it'll probably provide you what you need.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Ok, so fun Citrix fact I discovered this week, related to my earlier posts:
If you operate a disjointed namespace environment (that is, the suffix of your computers' FDQN doesn't always match your domain) the desktop agent will try to check in with DESKTOPDIRECTOR.my.domain.com instead of DESKTOPDIRECTOR.disjoint.domain.com, no matter what you set in configuration.

If you can't get your connection broker to be in ADDNS, alter the hosts file on your master VM to create a static route.

edit: disjointed namespace, not splitscope. sorry, long week.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 10, 2012

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mausi posted:

I know I'm a little late here, but PowerCLI has the get-stat command, if you do a little googling there's some great posts by LucD on using it.
You can also use get-view on virtualmachine and gather the VM summary, which will always have quickstats and is very fast to return. There are also pretty simple techniques to gather the realtime stats as well.

I wrote a bespoke script with it to gather VM cpu/mem stats from 17 vCenters and dig out what needed rightsizing, so it'll probably provide you what you need.

I later found a post on how to get stats from PowerCLI into Graphite, which is exactly what I was looking for. I would have preferred VMware exposing that over SNMP or the Ruby interface having support for get-stat, instead of having to use yet another system to get stats in, but this works.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

luminalflux posted:

I later found a post on how to get stats from PowerCLI into Graphite, which is exactly what I was looking for. I would have preferred VMware exposing that over SNMP or the Ruby interface having support for get-stat, instead of having to use yet another system to get stats in, but this works.
I'm glad you found a way to get it working, but that dude's script is massively inefficient. He shouldn't be running a get-stat for each host individually unless that's the only way to get realtime stats; much faster to run it for all hosts by feeding get-stat a list of entities, then running a group-object by entityId afterwards to process on.
Most of the effort with PowerCli isn't getting it working, it's making it run in less than 4 hrs and 4GB of ram.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So this continuously pisses me off. Everytime I try and upload a file to my datastores on my ESX 4.1 servers, the vSphere client crashes. OK, fine, I'll SCP the file over. Oh wait, everything is owned by root:root with 755 perms.

My guess is that it's crashing on a permission denied error, so how do I fix that? Do I modify the datastore somehow? Do I have to give myself additional permissions? Should the changes I make be on the server via ssh (I doubt it) or from the vSphere client?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mausi posted:

I'm glad you found a way to get it working, but that dude's script is massively inefficient. He shouldn't be running a get-stat for each host individually unless that's the only way to get realtime stats; much faster to run it for all hosts by feeding get-stat a list of entities, then running a group-object by entityId afterwards to process on.
Most of the effort with PowerCli isn't getting it working, it's making it run in less than 4 hrs and 4GB of ram.

Looks like I can feed a collection, but as for extraction from the collection, no idea. I'm a total powershell newbie and I can't even program in it effeciently since for some reason typing $ and | through the RDP session from my mac gets mangled. I found LucDs posts though and probably should get a windows VM installed so I can play with this stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Put the vSphere client on your bootcamp partition and put the vm on its own desktop, and pronto!

Then ctrl+arrows to switch desktops.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
We're running hyper-v server core on a host with two active guests, both running server 2008r2 standard.

One of them, the file/dns/dhcp server, locks up once a month or so. No clients can connect to it, rdp doesn't work but the crappy thing is that it also does not log anything in the eventlogs neither on guest or host (which is weird).
We end up killing it through the hyper-v manager.

(the second guest is running but not used by anyone)

What/Where should i start to look?

a systeminfo > out.txt for the host is here
http://pastebin.com/kxcuEUxt
and for the guest
http://pastebin.com/EyH7KE89

What free alternatives are there for monitoring this thing next time it locks up?

** edit
I'm an idiot, i give troubleshooting information like i'm one of my users.
The server is an IBM x3650 m3 with a lsi-made IBM ServeRAID M5015 raid controller, two 136GB 6gb/s SAS drives in raid 1 for the hosts's system, two in raid 1 for the guests .vhds and two regular sata 1tb drives which the files the fileserver-guest is serving are placed.

The megaraid tool says that everything's running fine.

Apparently the fileserver responded to ping this morning when it locked up, but nothing more than that.

All integration-services are active.

** another edit
Looking at scheduled tasks on the client, there's one that ran at 01:30 this morning and the one at 05:00 didn't.
At 02:00 Symantec BackupExec is scheduled to do a straight file-backup, INSIDE the guest with no host/hyper-v knowledge at all. Can that be it? There's a start at 0200 and a end at 0200,so something in it was aware of something at that time.
It's run fine for the last month..

underlig fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 12, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Amazon is amazing in every way, the recommendations system is uncanny:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I was thinking about getting this book, but one if the reviews keeps bringing up that it is quite far out of date.

Would this be a good recommended read still, or is there something better out there? (Already have "Mastering vSphere 5" and "HA and DRS technical deepdive")

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Put the vSphere client on your bootcamp partition and put the vm on its own desktop, and pronto!

Then ctrl+arrows to switch desktops.

I actually caved and did this. I feel sooo dirty. (Fusion has seamless windowing as well, which is still pretty cool even though it's been around for a long time)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I didn't see a clearly defined answer here but maybe I missed it. My understanding of the VMware Essentials Plus package was a 192GB VRAM limit across 3 hosts, 6 processors, and you may only allocate a maximum of 32GB of VRAM *per instance*. Yes?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I believe its 32GB per socket, so if you have a dual socket server like a R620 or whatever you can have up to 64 GB. Technically you can have more I think since it takes the total amount across all licensed hosts and it cant be more than 192GB across 6 sockets but maybe that is just for standard or enterprise and not essentials.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ah per socket would make sense... but would also shoot my idea of two R610s with 96GB vRAM each directly in the foot.

Edit: Reading the lingo on the VMware Website it says "VRAM Entitlement is the amount of virtual memory configured to a virtual machine."

So my original understanding appears to be correct. It is 32GB per running virtual instance, 192GB VRAM total allotment. Not per socket.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 13, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Moey posted:

I was thinking about getting this book, but one if the reviews keeps bringing up that it is quite far out of date.

Would this be a good recommended read still, or is there something better out there? (Already have "Mastering vSphere 5" and "HA and DRS technical deepdive")

It's mostly about concepts and not specifics. So there's a chapter on how to size your VMs, a chapter on storage concepts, network concepts, etc etc. I've got it already, and it was a pretty quick read. If nothing else, it can be good to put in front of a boss to show them how stupid their idea is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The very concept of virtual RAM per physical socket doesn't even make sense.