Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

wattershed posted:

If one were to leave an IPA-profiled wort on boil for, say, 2.5 hours, what would that taste like?

Probably resiny. Hops added earlier in the boil increase IBUs and hop oil saturation. Hops added later contribute more to aroma. That is my general understanding, anyway.

I think the Plinys use hop extract, though, which would explain how they get something that is extremely bitter with a relatively light body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

CalvinDooglas posted:

I think the Plinys use hop extract, though, which would explain how they get something that is extremely bitter with a relatively light body.

I don't believe they use hop extracts, that's generally a no-no for anyone but the big guys. I think you might be mistaking that for the corn sugar they use to dry out the beer and give it the lighter body despite the high ABV, as well as probably mashing at a lower temperature to give more fermentable sugars. At least that's my understanding of it.

Edit: I know Hop Stoopid uses hop extracts, interesting Pliny does.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 12, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Midorka posted:

I don't believe they use hop extracts, that's generally a no-no for anyone but the big guys. I think you might be mistaking that for the corn sugar they use to dry out the beer and give it the lighter body despite the high ABV, as well as probably mashing at a lower temperature to give more fermentable sugars. At least that's my understanding of it.

Nah, Pliny uses hop extracts primarily to add bitterness without adding body, as stated before. I believe they replace later additions with extract for that effect, the flavor and aroma still come from pellets.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Sixpoint is getting distributed in TX :woop:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Am I missing something because I don't drink a lot of IPAs? What do hops have to do with body?

Hop extract is used as a replacement for bittering additions because the extract process is a hell of a lot more efficient to get the compounds you are looking for. The question about a 3 hour extraction is that it will taste a lot like a 1 hour extraction because you hit a wall in isomerization rate.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Midorka posted:

Edit: I know Hop Stoopid uses hop extracts, interesting Pliny does.

TONS of Craft breweries use hop extract.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Munkaboo posted:

TONS of Craft breweries use hop extract.

Well I'm mistaken then! The only one I heard of using them before I just heard about Pliny was Hop Stoopid, but only because they advertise it right on the bottle.

I cracked open my 2008 Pannepot Reserva and it's delicious. I'm picking up figs, grapes, oak, chocolate, caramel, and brown sugar mostly with some alcohol on the finish. I think I like regular Pannepot a tad better though from memory.

Edit: Holy poo poo Anchorage's The Tide and It's Takers...I'm in love.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 12, 2012

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm 90% sure both Whip-In and Draughthouse allow dogs, except you're gonna have to drive to either place since you can't bring the dog on the bus. Draughthouse is the one "can't miss" destination bar in Austin. If you're more interested in wandering around day drinking, just stay downtown and form an itinerary including say... Gingerman, Lovejoys, and Easy Tiger.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Palate Wrecker is much more drinkable, anyone agree?

If you're putting it against Ruination, yeah I'm with you there.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Sixpoint is getting distributed in TX :woop:

Dude, do a side by side with Weisse Versa and LO Hef.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Using hop extract makes sense from a financial standpoint. Hops soak up wort, DIPAs use a fuckton of hops, therefore they soak up a fuckton of wort. That's just wasted beer and a bad business model.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

Using hop extract makes sense from a financial standpoint. Hops soak up wort, DIPAs use a fuckton of hops, therefore they soak up a fuckton of wort. That's just wasted beer and a bad business model.

Yeah there are tons of brewers using hop extract. It is different then the stuff being used by the big boys as there are a few different types of hop extract. Not only does it not soak up as much wort (it soaks up like none) it is also usually cheaper then hops when looking at how much you need to use to get the bitterness you want. The bitterness is usually very pleasant as well.

I went to a seminar at the craft brewers conference on the history of hop extract that was put on by the lead chemist for MillerCoors. It was a very interesting talk even though loads of it went over my head due to me sucking at Chemistry. One thing I learned though was that Tetra-isoalphaacid extract (the stuff used in Miller that prevents skunking) has a major benefit to head retention. There is apparently some Belgian brewers who add tiny tiny amounts (like 2 ppm) to their beer for this reason.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

Oh yeah, I recall World of Beer was mentioned at some point since one is opening in Ballston. I've been to the one in Dallas and wasn't impressed.

the best thing about Ballston will forever be Ravi Kabob (which is halal, by the way).

somebody said something about CCB pulling out of VA, but they hardly distributed here, so i wouldn't call it a loss. after the initial shipment of Jai Alai, Maduro, and Guava Grove back around Thanksgiving, we have received one additional shipment of Maduro (about a month ago). the only reason any came is because of the Florida-based distributor's connection to Richmond. looks like you NOVA goons are getting Boulevard, now, so congratulations, i guess.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Kosher man posted:

Yeah there are tons of brewers using hop extract. It is different then the stuff being used by the big boys as there are a few different types of hop extract. Not only does it not soak up as much wort (it soaks up like none) it is also usually cheaper then hops when looking at how much you need to use to get the bitterness you want. The bitterness is usually very pleasant as well.

I went to a seminar at the craft brewers conference on the history of hop extract that was put on by the lead chemist for MillerCoors. It was a very interesting talk even though loads of it went over my head due to me sucking at Chemistry. One thing I learned though was that Tetra-isoalphaacid extract (the stuff used in Miller that prevents skunking) has a major benefit to head retention. There is apparently some Belgian brewers who add tiny tiny amounts (like 2 ppm) to their beer for this reason.

Could you see hop pellets falling by the wayside in place of extract? Or are the costs and barriers to market entry going to prevent that?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Extract DIPAs are kind of obvious because they can look almost like a dark, clear pilsner in the glass, and taste bone dry with very little sweetness or resiny tongue residue. Hop Wallop, Pliny, Hop Stoopid... Stone IPA?

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just turned 21 and am interested in drinking beer that's a bit better than the Keystone or Natty Ice found at your typical college party. I really know nothing about beer though--whenever me and my housemates want "nice" beer we get a sixpack of Blue Moon belgian whites. Do you guys have any recommendations for decent beer that could be found at a typical Safeway or other grocery store? I live near Seattle so are there any good microbrewery beers worth checking out?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Captain Payne posted:

I just turned 21 and am interested in drinking beer that's a bit better than the Keystone or Natty Ice found at your typical college party. I really know nothing about beer though--whenever me and my housemates want "nice" beer we get a sixpack of Blue Moon belgian whites. Do you guys have any recommendations for decent beer that could be found at a typical Safeway or other grocery store? I live near Seattle so are there any good microbrewery beers worth checking out?

My time in Oregon has taught me that the Safeways seem to stock fair amounts of Deschutes' beers. Seattle proper may host more variations, especially some WA-based beers, but you can't go wrong with Black Butte Porter, Inversion IPA, or whatever else will be on store shelves from Deschutes. Those two beers themselves will give you a nice jumping off point for the darker as well as more hoppier, lighter sides of the craft spectrum.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

wattershed posted:

Could you see hop pellets falling by the wayside in place of extract? Or are the costs and barriers to market entry going to prevent that?

I never see that happening. Extract is made for bitterness and that is about it. We still need aroma and flavor hops and that is where pellets are best and will be probably for a long time to come.

CalvinDooglas posted:

Extract DIPAs are kind of obvious because they can look almost like a dark, clear pilsner in the glass, and taste bone dry with very little sweetness or resiny tongue residue. Hop Wallop, Pliny, Hop Stoopid... Stone IPA?

The color and dryness have nothing to do with using extract or not using extract. I use it in stouts and barleywines and loads of other beers.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kosher man posted:

Don't forget that eating hop extract is a great hazing ritual for new brewers. :D

air-
Sep 24, 2007

They managed to keep stores pretty well stocked with their smokestacks. Seeing the response for Parabola around here, I hate to imagine what the competition will be like once Saison Brett and Rye on Rye comes out.

Love Child #2 has been confirmed for Texas, you lucky fuckers. 80-90 cases across Texas so it shouldn't be too difficult. Rye on Rye is still sitting on shelves actually. Munkaboo, I have already confirmed I'll have a bottle, will split with you, like sometime in early July. :respek:

quote:

Lovechild #2 is a blend of sour beer aged in oak barrels and sour beer aged in stainless. We used 41 barrels (the majority were wine barrels but also used whiskey and port barrels were part of the blend) with a range of different base beers aged for 16 to 57 months. The sour beer in stainless is a beer called 'red' that is specifically brewed for the Lovechild beers. Our brewers spend a Saturday afternoon tasting all the barrels to come up with the blend for Lovechild #2. The beer in a bottle of Lovechild #2 is on average two years old by now. We currently have close to 100 barrels and a stainless tank waiting for the next version. Barrels get tasted on a regular basis and when we have another series of barrels ready we hope to release the next Lovechild. It is not our goal to make the Lovechild beers the same every time but to make the best blend of what we have available. Lovechild beers will change with aging. I recommend to drink the beer now as I believe that the flavor blend is now at its peak.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

the best thing about Ballston will forever be Ravi Kabob (which is halal, by the way).

somebody said something about CCB pulling out of VA, but they hardly distributed here, so i wouldn't call it a loss. after the initial shipment of Jai Alai, Maduro, and Guava Grove back around Thanksgiving, we have received one additional shipment of Maduro (about a month ago). the only reason any came is because of the Florida-based distributor's connection to Richmond. looks like you NOVA goons are getting Boulevard, now, so congratulations, i guess.

I guess that would explain why i never see it when I got to TW Midlo

Also, nobody buy a cigar called HOPS, it is not at all hoppy despite its name and description.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 12, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Munkaboo posted:

I guess that would explain why i never see it when I got to TW Midlo

the Richmond TW still had bottles of GG recently, but so many of the bottles were bad that apparently it's a running joke with the distributor reps. Maduro is plentiful at the moment, but we haven't even gotten another keg since the initial roll-out, so it seems unlikely to me that we'll be getting more product when you consider that CCB is small and in such high demand. i was worried that we'd run into the same situation with Maui, but that's been pretty consistent thus far.

air-, considering the demand for Saison Brett and the newness of the market, i kinda doubt any is gonna make it out east. also, i certainly wasn't expecting to find it, but when i made a joke about to the beer guy at the Vienna WF, he just gave me a puzzled look.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 12, 2012

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Captain Payne posted:

I think a great way to ease your way into better beers is Samuel Adams. They have a huge variety of different styles, are generally pretty decent (especially compared to the crap you've been drinking), and are easy to find.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Captain Payne posted:

I'll second the Deschutes suggestion, their everyday beers are well-made without being overwhelming. Since you've enjoyed Blue Moon, I'd say look around for more Belgian styles. Unibroue distributes pretty much everywhere as far as I know. Their Fin du Monde was my first micro, and I really enjoyed it. In other brands, look for things labeled dubbel, tripel, or quad - these are Belgian or mimic Belgian styles (though don't look for a straight Blue Moon analogue in any of them).

Also look for Weihenstephaner. They're the oldest brewery in the world, their US West region rep lives near Seattle and is a cool guy, and they make some ridiculously good beers. Look for their Weissbier (wheat beer), which may be the best in the world, as well as Vitus and Korbinian. They're all very approachable, exceptional examples of their styles, and inexpensive.

Since you're in the Northwest I'll also suggest Cascade Brewery, but be warned their beers are like nothing else you've had. They make sour beers (some of the best in the Western Hemisphere), which in some ways are more like wine than beer. A lot of people enjoy them, some people hate them, but they're a real departure from more common styles.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hop extract owns, CCB uses it in a lot of beers.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CYBER SLIMER posted:

Hop extract owns, CCB uses it in a lot of beers.

I was initially very anti-extract due to a kneejerk hippie don't-process-my-foods reaction. It was reinforced by talking to brewers who put a ton of effort into procuring hops and looked down on the practice. While I still think I'll stick with pellets or whole hops for my rare ventures into home brewing (because I am a HUGE loving hippie with my homebrew), I've most come around to not worrying too much about extract use by commercial brewers. It helps them deliver a more consistent product at lower cost with less loss, and that's a worthwhile goal. What matters most is the end product being an enjoyable beer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Captain Payne posted:

Pyramid makes some pretty good beers that will be in a Seattle Safeway. Red Hook is in Woodinville, I'm not real big on them, but you should probably give them a try and they will be stocked in grocery stores. Rogue will be available in your safeway, too. Mac & Jacks is good but I've only had it at bars.

The best thing to do is to try a bunch of stuff. You have a whole life of beer drinking, don't worry about getting it "right" immediately.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

taqueso posted:

The best thing to do is to try a bunch of stuff. You have a whole life of beer drinking, don't worry about getting it "right" immediately.

The best advice.

I'd also suggest finding a liquor store/bottle shop that will let you do singles and mixed 6 packs (pick individual beers, put them in a sixer). Though it's going to probably be more expensive per beer by a little, you can try a bunch at one time or just throw down $2.50 on one beer that looks interesting without committing too much cash. I got into craft beer because a local store by me in college allowed this. It also gives you the chance to explore one style by multiple breweries. Wanna figure out how IPAs taste? Best way to do it is try 6 different ones from 6 different breweries.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Payne posted:

Being close to Seattle puts you near numerous good places to drink and buy bottles too. To start, grab some friends and hang out at a brewpub or bar with a big selection and knowledgeable staff (keep in mind these two are typically mutually exclusive- there are exceptions of course). Ask them a ton of questions and don't be shy about telling them what you like/don't like about the beer. Elysian has two local brewpubs, or you could go visit Pike in the Market. Naked City and 74th St. are supposed to be good too, but I haven't been. The people at Brouwer's and Bottleworks know their poo poo, and the selection's phenomenal at both.

In case you want to form a to-do list, just within downtown (say, Olive and 8th as a reference cuz I like the Hyatt Olive 8), you can walk to: Collin's Pub, Elysian Fields, Pike, Brave Horse, Pine Box, Stumbling Monk, Quinn's, and Elysian (last three in the Capitol Hill neighborhood- excellent Belgian selection at Stumbling Monk too).

Taking the #5 bus puts these bars in walking distance: Brouwer's Cafe (one of the best beer bars I've ever been to) and their sister shop Bottleworks, 74th Street Ale House, Fremont Brewing, Duck Island, Uber Tavern, and Naked City.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kosher man posted:

(the stuff used in Miller that prevents skunking)

It doesn't work.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Phanatic posted:

It doesn't work.

It does, it just tastes like that ;)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For any Ohio or Western PA beer goons, I just read that Fat Head's is releasing their Head Hunter IPA next week in bottles for the first time. I've never had it (never had the opportunity to get up to their brewery) but supposedly it is a fantastic IPA.

e: In other Pennsylvania beer related news, it appears a proposal to privatize the liquor store system in the Keystone State has reached the floor of the State House for the first time ever. Baby steps I guess.....

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 12, 2012

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Phanatic posted:

It doesn't work.

Yes it does and it is the reason the started using Clear bottles with the introduction of High Life. The hop extract is changed to remove a bond which prevents the skunking reaction from evening happening.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Found an entire case of the Weyerbacher Blasphemy Corked and Caged today... :D $59.99 ... quite a deal for that case.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vertigo posted:

Found an entire case of the Weyerbacher Blasphemy Corked and Caged today... :D $59.99 ... quite a deal for that case.

I had the Quad for the first time a couple weeks ago. I liked it. This sounds pretty drat good...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kosher man posted:

Yes it does and it is the reason the started using Clear bottles with the introduction of High Life. The hop extract is changed to remove a bond which prevents the skunking reaction from evening happening.

If that's *all* they're using, the beer won't skunk, but it doesn't prevent other other acids from skunking.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

danbanana posted:

The best advice.

I'd also suggest finding a liquor store/bottle shop that will let you do singles and mixed 6 packs (pick individual beers, put them in a sixer). Though it's going to probably be more expensive per beer by a little, you can try a bunch at one time or just throw down $2.50 on one beer that looks interesting without committing too much cash. I got into craft beer because a local store by me in college allowed this. It also gives you the chance to explore one style by multiple breweries. Wanna figure out how IPAs taste? Best way to do it is try 6 different ones from 6 different breweries.
I second this advice. Making your own six packs is how I've been learning more about beer. It is slightly more expensive but really isn't bad - the ones I get usually run right around $10. The way I think about it, you'll save money in the long run because it'll keep you from buying a six pack, deciding that you don't like the beer, and then having 5 beers that you don't know what to do with.

I would say try a bunch of different styles first, find out which one you like, and then as danbanana says just try the styles you like from as many different breweries. Cast a wide net - find out if you generally like really dark beers or light beers or browns or IPAs.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Did I completely miss Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Mars in Chicago? I heard people talking about how good it was, but I haven't seen it on the shelves *anywhere*, and JP usually doesn't fly off like crazy barrel aged stouts.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I used to see Biere de Mars in my store (in FL) all the time! Like, it never sold because it was so expensive, so you'd see bottles of it (and a lot of their beers) just sitting around collecting dust forever.

Inaction Jackson posted:

I second this advice. Making your own six packs is how I've been learning more about beer. It is slightly more expensive but really isn't bad - the ones I get usually run right around $10. The way I think about it, you'll save money in the long run because it'll keep you from buying a six pack, deciding that you don't like the beer, and then having 5 beers that you don't know what to do with.

I would say try a bunch of different styles first, find out which one you like, and then as danbanana says just try the styles you like from as many different breweries. Cast a wide net - find out if you generally like really dark beers or light beers or browns or IPAs.

Also, this method of tasting is still way more inexpensive than it would be if you did it at a bar.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Phanatic posted:

If that's *all* they're using, the beer won't skunk, but it doesn't prevent other other acids from skunking.

What acids are you referring to? The only acid I'm aware of that skunks beer are isomerized alpha acids.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Did I completely miss Jolly Pumpkin Biere de Mars in Chicago? I heard people talking about how good it was, but I haven't seen it on the shelves *anywhere*, and JP usually doesn't fly off like crazy barrel aged stouts.

I had it on tap at Jerry's a few months ago and I'm pretty sure I saw it at a store or two around then as well.

A buddy of mine hit the Bloomington (IN) Craft Beer Fest this Saturday and brought me back Upland's Gilgamesh and their Raspberry Lambic. Very pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazyfish posted:

If you were wanting some, I could probably bring some from MI and sell it to you at cost if you are coming to the tasting. Pretty sure I saw some on the shelf the last time I was beer shopping.