Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Galg posted:

Im looking at the tech specs page for the retina MBP and I'm kind of confused.

It says "Native Mini DisplayPort Output" but right over that it says "Thunderbolt digital video output". Am I going to be able to reuse the Mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter I have or will I have to buy a new adapter?

Retina MBP Ports:

MagSafe 2 power port
Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
Headphone port
SDXC card slot
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately, available July)

Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort tech. Mini Displayport can plug directly into a Thunderbolt port and work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Small White Dragon posted:

When I selected the 768GB flash drive, the ship time went up to 3-5 weeks. :argh:

Interesting that it did that and also that you selected that option. I thought that $450 was outrageous for that. I think all SSD sizes are kinda too small, so even with 768 GB I'd use an external HDD or network storage for many things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EvilCoolAidMan posted:

Which is bullshit, just give us new internal hardware the case is just fine!
Yeah I was expecting that as the half assed "see we're updating it!" update rather than essentially nothing and tagging it as new. Could've avoided the shitstorm if they just didnt stick on that new tag in the first place. I kind of see it like the Mac mini situation a few years back, it went around two years before getting a weak update, then a major (internal) update came the next year (then case redesign the next year). Except Apple is apparently skipping the internal only step with the Mac Pro and revamping it all for 2013.

(Meanwhile I'm hoping for an E3 Xeon Cube one day to replace my mini)

fleshweasel posted:

Maybe it's just me, but relatively commonplace high-speed IO-- which TB is not-- is totally worth $150 more.
Yeah if the difference is that little I'd get the newer one just for USB 3, well the improved graphics too. If you use external drives a decent bit you're going from 30MB/s with USB 2 to basically saturating the drive with USB 3, without having to break the bank on TB stuff.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone have dimension comparisons between the current 15 and 13 inch MBPs?

It still says 15.4inch diagonal screen right? Since it's taller at 4:3 doesn't that mean it's not as wide as a 15inch MBP?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ziploc posted:

It still says 15.4inch diagonal screen right? Since it's taller at 4:3 doesn't that mean it's not as wide as a 15inch MBP?

Apples website has dimension comparisons.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Ziploc posted:

Where are people getting the idea that it's a 4:3 screen? It's 16:10 with 16:10 resolutions.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's disappointing that Apple have changed the connector for the SSD modules in the new MB Airs. Going to make it a bit harder for third party modules that use the standard PCI-whatever Mini connector.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flavor posted:

Interesting that it did that and also that you selected that option. I thought that $450 was outrageous for that. I think all SSD sizes are kinda too small, so even with 768 GB I'd use an external HDD or network storage for many things.

Where can you get a 768GB flash drive for $450 more than a 512GB?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Ugh so I had my new iMac for like a week now and already there's a small scratch on the screen. Is there anything I can do?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Be more careful?

If it's small then who cares?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I have an old HP laptop with a dying HDD that I use to surf the internet while watching tv. I sometimes take it with me on trips to surf the internet and watch videos that my iPad1 isn't able to play. I want a new retina screen Macbook Pro. Someone tell me this is a bad idea before I spend $2,500 on it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I accidentally cracked the glass on my 2011 macbook air :(

According to this website I found (http://www.myservice.com/macbookair_13_repairs.html), the replacement screen is $600!! Its a spiderweb crack about 3" in diameter and it looks like it is just the glass. $600 seems like a lot... is there a cheaper way to fix it?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Where can you get a 768GB flash drive for $450 more than a 512GB?

When you add options to the 15" MBP Retina. That was the option I couldn't bring myself to go for (basically I thought that 16 gigs made sense, CPU probably not but whatever at that price level, and hell no to the SSD option).

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Went down to a store to see MBP:TNG in person. Really great looking screen and the lightness is noticeable over the old MBPs.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

Went down to a store to see MBP:TNG in person. Really great looking screen and the lightness is noticeable over the old MBPs.

Did you manage to try out the scaled resolutions (1920x1200)? Articles seem to indicate it's fine but it would be nice to hear some more definitive opinions.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Sulk posted:

Did you manage to try out the scaled resolutions (1920x1200)? Articles seem to indicate it's fine but it would be nice to hear some more definitive opinions.

I did really quick. I'm actually pretty new to Macs but I thought it looked fine. The most obvious thing to me was the lightness and size. Also, the speakers sounded really good. I could clearly hear the 1080p movie trailer I was watching over the chaos of the store.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flavor posted:

When you add options to the 15" MBP Retina. That was the option I couldn't bring myself to go for (basically I thought that 16 gigs made sense, CPU probably not but whatever at that price level, and hell no to the SSD option).

Right.. But the difference in retail SSDs is more like $1000 vs $2000 at those capacities.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

BS about Diablo 3 running at 1440x900 on the retina MBP

Hi Mr. oh so sure about "people" not getting what 2880x1800 is and the patched Diablo 3 rendering at 1440x900: Read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5998/macbook-pro-retina-display-analysis

So it does run AND RENDER at 2880x1800. :v:

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 13, 2012

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Right.. But the difference in retail SSDs is more like $1000 vs $2000 at those capacities.

Well, kinda but not really. Judging from what Newegg is offering right now, 512 is the high end of the mainstream and pricing has a surprisingly high variance from about $430 to about $800+.

Above that it gets spotty: The closest to 768 is some out of stock OCZ 720 gig SSD and the next step up is another OCZ SSD at $2000+ that looks like its own PCI card. So I'd say the data at least from Newegg is inconclusive.

I personally think that SSD prices have a lot of downward potential and I'd rather go for a bigger one at some point down the line, maybe in a year or two.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I have an old HP laptop with a dying HDD that I use to surf the internet while watching tv. I sometimes take it with me on trips to surf the internet and watch videos that my iPad1 isn't able to play. I want a new retina screen Macbook Pro. Someone tell me this is a bad idea before I spend $2,500 on it.

What if you just replaced the dying HDD with a new SSD?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Just buy an 11-inch Air. It's perfect for this.

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.
After a great 5 years with my MBP I decided it was time to upgrade. The screen seems to be just as much of an advancement in my computing experience as getting my first SSD... I got the 2.6 RMBP with the 16gb RAM. The SSD upgrade just isn't worth it for me. Oh wow, I can't wait to start designing on it.

Aggyro fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 13, 2012

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I just phoned Apple to remove my thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter, since I can't even remember the last time I physically plugged into a network and hey, maybe it'll make it ship faster for some dumb reason.

Quite the opposite actually! Apparently any change puts you at the end of the queue. Lucky I asked before I went ahead with the change. The guy ended up telling me to leave the order as-is and he'd process the $35 refund manually, so I get a free adapter and my order will still ship early next week.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Digital Jesus posted:

Quite the opposite actually! Apparently any change puts you at the end of the queue. Lucky I asked before I went ahead with the change. The guy ended up telling me to leave the order as-is and he'd process the $35 refund manually, so I get a free adapter and my order will still ship early next week.

Haha you lucky gently caress.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

As time goes on will I be able to buy a Thunderbolt - FW800 cable from places like Monoprice?

Or will a dongle be required no matter what?

Sorry, probably a really stupid question, but I'm not really up to speed with modern I/O technology and backwards compatibility.

Edit: to clarify I'd prefer to use a single cable rather than use a cable and a dumb dongle, if possible.

terriyaki fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 13, 2012

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
What do they do at the Apple Store to get your purchase "ready?" I had an in store pickup scheduled today but when I got there the clerk said their system had been down earlier so they couldn't process my order. Even though everything was working when I got there, I had my confirmation email and receipt, and they had the computer in stock I couldn't pick it up and have to go back tomorrow. :psyduck:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

flavor posted:

I agree, it's pricey, but I have some very large XCode projects, and I also need a large Windows partition/VM.

I also do a lot of work on airplanes, where space is at a premium.

On that note, I'd love to hear some reviews of how the display works in Windows.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

shrughes posted:

What if you just replaced the dying HDD with a new SSD?

Because I want something NEW and not Vista. Like this laptop is 2008 old.

mediaphage posted:

Just buy an 11-inch Air. It's perfect for this.

I'll look into this.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 13, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What's the return policy like? I ordered a 8gb and 16gb to test; but how long will I have to return? Is there a fee involved?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Which of these two video cards is better for video games? (at 1680x1050)

- AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

I am trying to decide between a refurbished MBP and the new low-end MBP.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why do you guys need 16 GB of RAM?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Good question. I really don't right now, but I also don't know how long I'll be using this laptop. Given the fact that you can't upgrade it, I decided to err on the side of caution, I guess.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Captain Pike posted:

Which of these two video cards is better for video games? (at 1680x1050)

- AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

I am trying to decide between a refurbished MBP and the new low-end MBP.

These should be some interesting links for you.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

terriyaki posted:

As time goes on will I be able to buy a Thunderbolt - FW800 cable from places like Monoprice?

Or will a dongle be required no matter what?

Sorry, probably a really stupid question, but I'm not really up to speed with modern I/O technology and backwards compatibility.

Edit: to clarify I'd prefer to use a single cable rather than use a cable and a dumb dongle, if possible.
Well it's possible in the sense that they could build a cable with the dongle guts built in, but otherwise no, a simple cable with FW on one side and TB on the other isn't possible. At minimum there needs to be some electronics in there cause they're completely different.

Alternatively you could go ghetto and get Apple's TB-FW dongle and a FW cable, then shrink tube the dongle and cable together or something (unless it gets really warm on its own, then the tubing could increase heat and possibly gently caress things up).

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's nice for VMs or just working on anything huge without swapping I guess.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Just pulled the trigger on a fully loaded Retina 15". Time to ship? 5 motherfucking weeks. It is going to be a long month and a week....

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Many reasons. First not a reason, but a consideration: You get to configure the memory of this thing exactly once when you order it. So you better think really really hard whether you'll never ever need more than 8 GB. Can you guarantee that 8 will be enough for however long you want to keep this thing? I'll probably keep it until the AppleCare runs out on it.

Another consideration: You can only have 8 or 16, so 16 just means "more than 8" and not "I need exactly 16".

Plus the RAM option costs like 5% of the price of the whole machine, so it's no big deal.

Now my reasons: I like to leave lots of apps open that I can return to in a session. Some I leave open for weeks because it's not like a Mac needs to be rebooted all the time. Also apps like Final Cut Pro X or After Effects like to use some memory. Not to mention virtual machines.

Right now I don't tend to use all the memory all the time on the other 16 gig Macs, but apps tend to need more memory over the years. I'd also like to think that slowly but surely mainstream people are starting to ditch Windows XP 32-bit, so the computing world is getting over the physical and mental 4 GB limit, so apps will expect and use more memory.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maya/Modo/Houdini. Eating up to 12GB of RAM has been fairly easy on tests for me in the past and 16gb a nice small bump. I don't always reach it but it's nice when I do.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Sinestro posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a fully loaded Retina 15". Time to ship? 5 motherfucking weeks. It is going to be a long month and a week....

You snooze, you lose with hot new Apple items. Some consolation: They always overstate their delivery estimates. Mine said on Monday that it would ship in 5-7 business days and that delivery would take 2-3, which adds up to 7-10 business days. The reality is that Fedex says I'll have it by Thursday at 10.30 am and it's already reached my state, so I wouldn't even fully rule out today (Wednesday). So at most it'll have amounted to 3 business days.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

flavor posted:

You snooze, you lose with hot new Apple items. Some consolation: They always overstate their delivery estimates. Mine said on Monday that it would ship in 5-7 business days and that delivery would take 2-3, which adds up to 7-10 business days. The reality is that Fedex says I'll have it by Thursday at 10.30 am and it's already reached my state, so I wouldn't even fully rule out today (Wednesday). So at most it'll have amounted to 3 business days.

My process was roughly: Watch WWDC live -> want to buy Macbook Pro -> beg my parents to actually give me some of my money -> finally get some money -> buy -> weep when I see shipping date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Sinestro posted:

My process was roughly: Watch WWDC live -> want to buy Macbook Pro -> beg my parents to actually give me some of my money -> finally get some money -> buy -> weep when I see shipping date.

Next time you gotta have the money ready during the keynote already. I'm not even kidding. I went in as soon as the store was back up.

What I really think is interesting and never gets mentioned on rumor and fan sites is how lovely Apple's ordering process is and how something always gets screwed up. They had a bug with a rebate that kept orders from going through. Ever heard of freezing features and testing your site before major project releases? With the iPhone there's the excuse that the AT&T database queries were a bottleneck, but not with this. And it let you go through with your payment and place the order and then threw you back to the cart with no indication that it didn't go through.

Then the payment: My lame-rear end bank somehow canceled my payment hours later because I hadn't used that credit card in a while. But I'd have never heard a word from Apple. They only showed red text when I went to check on the order status, but they couldn't bring themselves to send an email or anything telling me that my order was in limbo. (Good thing was that when I called Apple I was able to get it straightened out and it didn't delay the order, I give them that.)

And don't get me started on having to sign the delivery for every single item from them, even it's some $20 adapter or something.

Amazon doesn't have a single one of those problems. Apple should really outsource the online store to them.

(Before anyone gets too mad, I love most other aspects of Apple, otherwise I wouldn't buy so much of their stuff.)