Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So you guys have been going on about Berserkers in FFV for a while now, but I can't be the only one who's wondering (because I haven't played FFV)

What is so bad about berserkers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can't control them at all. They do nothing but auto-attack until either they're dead or the enemy is dead. They can't take advantage of any active melee skills from other classes like Rapid Fire or Spellblade. They have terrible agility, and on top of that there's a bug that makes them even slower in battle. On paper, they kind of look good because berserk status increases damage, and axes ignore enemy defense, but in practice they're just terrible.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Final Fantasy V is a game in which "Attack" is one of the weakest options you have. Pretty much every skill in the game can do more damage or at least have some extra effect. Berserkers can do nothing but Attack. You can't control them and this often makes them a liability. To top it off they're the slowest class in the game.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I guess I'm just used to every Final Fantasy from VI -> XII, since "unit that automatically and singularly uses "Attack"" would be an entirely viable way to clear those games. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm kinda regretting choosing hard mode now. Not because I think it'll be too hard (frankly, it might be easier- you have better odds of ending up with Wind Crystal jobs, which are almost all pretty useful), but because I haven't had as much experience messing around with later-game jobs and your odds of getting jobs from those crystals is significantly lower under hard mode. For example, the jobs from the last crystal- under regular, you're guaranteed one job, with each having a 25% chance. With hard mode, you're not guaranteed any of them and you only have a 5% chance of getting each. Oh well.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

fount of knowledge posted:

I guess I'm just used to every Final Fantasy from VI -> XII, since "unit that automatically and singularly uses "Attack"" would be an entirely viable way to clear those games. :v:

It can work for everything if you're overlevelled, EXCEPT for two boss fights. One, where you only have a 1/6th chance of hitting the actual boss, and not hitting the boss auto casts Demi on you. The other is the last one, where you need to kill all the targets at the same time more or less. It's been done, but with thousands of attempts with an emulator, or with the last boss, something like two dozen copies of the emulator running with an automated script to check if the boss died or not, running over several days.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fount of knowledge posted:

There's a reason they said FFV was "too hard" to bring to America. Not that its super difficult, but mechanically it does require a little more thought than the other SNES FFs. The thing that makes the Four Job Fiesta so crazy is that you're locked out of at least 80% of the choices in a game that is all about strategically choosing things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It also means that unless you get super-duper lucky, you're not going to be able to set up either of the two standard game breakers. And since you're not allowed to use freelancers or mimes, you're even more limited in setting them up. You could have a Spellblade with Rapid Fire, but not Dual Wield. You could have a Black Mage with X-Magic, but you'd be missing Time Magic for Quick.

divide by zero
Jun 5, 2007
how do I lurked moar.
From what I can remember, the biggest problem with Berserker is the only thing it can do is hit things. And it doesn't do a good job of it.

As said before, it's slow, meaning it get's turns slower than some other classes, meaning less damage overall. Second, it's stat modifier for strength isn't anywhere near as high as it should be, for a class that only hits things. Next is axes, something rather unique to the class, which are inaccurate and I believe have a large fluctuation of damage, like 70%-130% variation.

Then they just don't work with the battle system all that well. I think it's a glitch that causes them to take extra long before they even get their first action in battle. Or just slows them down more, I can't remember which.

Finally, just about every other class in the game does "kill enemy" BETTER than they do, either from what they can use or skill sets.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

divide by zero posted:

Then they just don't work with the battle system all that well. I think it's a glitch that causes them to take extra long before they even get their first action in battle. Or just slows them down more, I can't remember which.

Nah, it's not a glitch, it's just the way the target selection works with berserk-afflicted characters. The normal player mashes buttons as quickly as their controlled characters' turns come up, but anything auto-controlled, from Confusion to Berserk to enemy monsters, has a very particular tempo it enters commands at.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There were combos in FF5 that let you solo the optional superbosses, it's crazy what you can do in the game within their mechanics.

One of the superbosses is weak to Lightning, but reflects all spells and counters summons by killing you. You can cast reflect on your own guys and bounce it off, but then you can't heal and he keeps killing your guys and messing up your reflect anyway. On the other hand you can enchant someone's sword with Lightning using the Mystic Knight job's spells. If you have 2 swords because you mastered Ninja's Dual Wield, you enchant both swords. If you have Rapidfire from mastering Rangers, you can attack 4 times instead of once.

So you go from doing like 2000 damage to this boss to suddenly doing almost 9999 a hit, attacking 4 times, with both swords.

So you can do 80,000 damage in a turn.

Meanwhile the berserker attacked once for 2000 damage then died

Edit: This boss counters physical attacks so that Berserker actually made the fight harder for you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So you can do 80,000 damage in a turn.

And if you have a mime dual-wielding daggers with !Spellblade, !Time, and !RapidFire, you can do all that on the very first turn.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I need a very simple question answered. Is LS used a whole bunch in FF XIII on the 360. I'm looking for a good RPG, a fun experience, but I need a game that doesn't use LS intensely. Yes, it's related to my new custom title. Man, you have to be careful making fun of someone who likes to insult you. They usually have money and get their feelings hurt. :3:

Also I've never really played an FF, but they always look interesting. I know the jRPG format, enjoyed Lost Odessey, watched battle videos of XIII and it doesn't seem you really use LS, but I cannot find the control manual so I'm kind of in the dark.

der juicen fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 13, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You'd have to use the left stick for moving in the overworld, but in battle you'd only use it if the situation calls for a very specific set of commands that autobattle doesn't catch, and from what I recall you'll never need to do that except for some post-game stuff. You'll also need to use it for paradigm shifting, which might be a problem, I dunno.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

der juicen posted:

I need a very simple question answered. Is LS used a whole bunch in FF XIII on the 360. I'm looking for a good RPG, a fun experience, but I need a game that doesn't use LS intensely. Yes, it's related to my new custom title. Man, you have to be careful making fun of someone who likes to insult you. They usually have money and get their feelings hurt. :3:

Also I've never really played an FF, but they always look interesting. I know the jRPG format, enjoyed Lost Odessey, watched battle videos of XIII and it doesn't seem you really use LS, but I cannot find the control manual so I'm kind of in the dark.
Wow, that has to be the most mean spirited big red title I've ever seen, jesus.

Anyway, yeah LS is used very sparingly as ^ that guy ^ said. I think the game is totally manageable one handed. More importantly though, why don't they make these things anymore? Mass produced controllers designed specifically for Final Fantasy, loving brilliant.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
In battle, the d-pad is way easier to use than LS anyway, if that makes a difference. LS is only used for the camera in the overworld, and since the game is designed on-rails, the camera automatically chooses the best angle anyway.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Sweet! Just what I was hoping for. In the past, I could plat CoD, sports titles, etc. one handed, but I just had a surgery to fix my self-made problem, thus the new situation I am in. And the guy I believe bought the title is a very, very mean-spirited person. Totally use to it, hah.

All that said, it is a fun game right? It seemed to have gotten pretty good reviews.

der juicen fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 13, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I refer you to the thread title but FF13 is considered one of the worst in the series by a good number. I wouldn't call it the worst but I'd rank it pretty drat low.

It mostly gets good reviews because it's one of the most high profile series in gaming, the next entry in the series could be literal dog poo poo in a case and it'd get 10s across the board.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

RagnarokAngel posted:

I refer you to the thread title but FF13 is considered one of the worst in the series by a good number. I wouldn't call it the worst but I'd rank it pretty drat low.

It mostly gets good reviews because it's one of the most high profile series in gaming, the next entry in the series could be literal dog poo poo in a case and it'd get 10s across the board.

Oh well, being pretty much my first I'll probably love it. :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

der juicen posted:

Tell us what you think after 30 hours of being stuck in the corridor, feeling your IQ dip lower and lower with each cutscene.

If you get a chance to, I'd say play some of the other ones, like X or IV or IX or V.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

der juicen posted:

If you have taste I doubt it.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Pesky Splinter posted:

Tell us what you think after 30 hours of being stuck in the corridor, feeling your IQ dip lower and lower with each cutscene.

But but but I love cutscenes. :suicide: I kinda really do though.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Play VI, it's still one of my favorites in the series, but I might suggest playing V since the four job fiesta is coming up so soon.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Lilli posted:

Play VI, it's still one of my favorites in the series, but I might suggest playing V since the four job fiesta is coming up so soon.

I only have my 360. =\ And it's only like 10 bucks!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

der juicen posted:

Not after 100+ cutscenes of:

"MY MOM IS DEAD :qq: I HATE YOU SNOW! I WANT TO KILL YOU BUT I DON'T!" :qq:
"I'm a Hero!" *fistpump* "I'm a Hero!" *fistpump* "I'm a Hero!" *fistpump*
"Croikey!" *anime gesture* "Putta shrimp onna barbie! Crocs!"
"I'm also Australian"
"...I loving hate you all." *punch*
"'M black, y'all. Ain't that right?" "Kweh!"

And that's just the playable characters.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 13, 2012

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Pesky Splinter posted:

There were other characters?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Pesky Splinter has probably saved you fifteen hours right there.

edit: whoops. I only just remembered to respond to this.

The White Dragon posted:

The dungeons are actually really short and only give the visual illusion of being long (not to mention first-time-through syndrome where everything feels overwhelming and you're not sure what you need to do to progress). Even Oelivert, which seems gigantic, is like a ten-minute jog if you know what you're doing; it's only six or seven screens large, and that's counting both the room with the Moogle and the boss room. Memoria is, what, ten or twelve of varying length, plus four really short ones in the Crystal World. The encounter rate is a lot lower than you're suggesting, too, and you'll normally only get one or two encounters running from one end of a screen to the other unless you're thoroughly exploring an area.
All I can say is I didn't find the dungeons or the encounter rate too bad in FFVII or VIII. Or most of VI.

Most people don't know exactly what they need to progress, and would explore thoroughly because of items. Also instead of having cool, interesting gimmicks like in VII or VIII, IX tends to have more backtracking and running back and forth through the dungeons.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Italax posted:

There were other characters?

Space Pope aka Robo-Pope, Anime-Uma Thurman, Not-Saix and Cid. And the robo-Owl. And Hope's mother's corpse. And Serah "She's-not-16-Pscicom-officer,-we-swear!" Farron. And Sazh's uncanny valley son. And Team "NOmura's DisgaRded FAshion Rejects" aka Team NORA.

They of course, get barely any screen time in the bloated mess of the story. You could say that the greatest antagonist for the game, is the game itself.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 13, 2012

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

der juicen posted:

The cutscenes are terrible though. If you want a good heavy cutscene FF, play FFX.

I really think playing FF13 first might make you refuse to play the rest of the series.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Space Pope aka Robo-Pope, Anime-Uma Thurman, Not-Saix and Cid. And the robo-Owl. And Hope's mother's corpse. And Serah "She's-not-16-Pscicom-officer,-we-swear!" Farron. And Sazh's uncanny valley son. And Team "NOmura's DisgaRded FAshion Rejects" aka Team NORA.

They of course, get barely any screen time in the bloated mess of the story. You could say that the greatest antagonist for the game, is the game itself.

Oh christ, Dajh. I honestly think the character artists were stoned when they designed him. He's supposed to be six years old but looks like a terrifying robot infant creature thing. How did they think that was not creepy as poo poo? :psyduck: I honestly think every FF game since X would be ten times better if the character designers would get over that ridiculous overoveroverdesigned pseudo-futuristic emo teenager steampunk bullshit and go back to medieval fantasy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

How did they think that was not creepy as poo poo? :psyduck:

Because they obviously have no standard of creepy.

Remember, these are the same people who designed a character who is supposed to be a twenty-year old woman, and tried to rationalize why she has the body of a nine-year old girl.

And they then stuck her in a relationship with a 60+ year old man (who only looks half that age), who sees her as a replacement for the woman he lost.

It's fine though. Because she is totally 20. Yep. Sure thing. Toatally not loving creepy.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

der juicen posted:

I played just about every FF game and loved them all (FF2 couldn't get into it and haven't tried XI and XIV), except FFXIII. I got a few hours in, and had to cut my losses. I was really excited for it too, but it is not a good game, please play X first, or ANY other one first (except II maybe).

The one actual good review I read described it best as "Beautiful, Boring,FFXIII"

It does look incredible, but it is still unbearable.

If you need to try it just please play another one first. I think X would be a good starting point, modern graphics, good battle system, cutscenes usually not too embarrassing. VI is my personal favorite but the old graphics and text can be a barrier to entry.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, FF5 is one of the few I've never beaten. (I haven't been 3j, 5, 12 and 13 are the only number games I haven't beaten.) I dunno if I should do the 4 job fiesta because I've never beaten it for reals before. People tell me that the GBA port of it has a really funny translation, though. I should probably play it on the GBA anyway - I don't like the PS1 ports of FF4/5/6/Chrono Trigger so much because they have insane load times. Especially 4. Really, really loved the GBA version of that game, though. I really love 4 and 6 period. GBA FF1 was also really fun. gently caress FF2, though. Only reason why I beat FF2 was because I was bored on a train and had nothing better to do.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Oh christ, Dajh. I honestly think the character artists were stoned when they designed him. He's supposed to be six years old but looks like a terrifying robot infant creature thing. How did they think that was not creepy as poo poo? :psyduck: I honestly think every FF game since X would be ten times better if the character designers would get over that ridiculous overoveroverdesigned pseudo-futuristic emo teenager steampunk bullshit and go back to medieval fantasy.

Yeah, I'm hoping FF15 is going to be another throwback game like FF9 or 11. FF9 is probably one of the most underrated games in the series. Honestly, they should make more games like that one. I think the designs were great in that game, because they were so cartoony and "Nintendo-y". FF9 really feels like the kinda game that should have been on a Nintendo system and not the PS1.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, FF5 is one of the few I've never beaten. (I haven't been 3j, 5, 12 and 13 are the only number games I haven't beaten.) I dunno if I should do the 4 job fiesta because I've never beaten it for reals before. People tell me that the GBA port of it has a really funny translation, though. I should probably play it on the GBA anyway - I don't like the PS1 ports of FF4/5/6/Chrono Trigger so much because they have insane load times.

Get the GBA version - it gets rid of the long load times and does have the best translation. Think of it as being a tongue-in-cheek retrospective of the previous four FF titles, but with a fun battle system.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Get the GBA version - it gets rid of the long load times and does have the best translation. Think of it as being a tongue-in-cheek retrospective of the previous four FF titles, but with a fun battle system.

Oh, I have it, I've just never been able to get through it. For whatever reason, I just kinda loose interest and stop playing every time I try to play through it. (I know, I must have terrible taste in games.) Same thing with FF3 DS, FF12 and 13.

You can't really blame me with FF13, though. I got to the Cid boss fight and said gently caress it.

Also, would you count X-2 and After Years as numbered games? Because I couldn't get through those, either. I got bored playing those really quick. It's surprising that I didn't like After Years given how much I love FF4, but I dunno... is it just me or does it feel a little slapped together a little haphazardly? Like, the sprites and menus are different resolutions and it looks bad.

Final Fantasy Dimensions looks kinda cool, though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not after 100+ cutscenes of:

"MY MOM IS DEAD :qq: I HATE YOU SNOW! I WANT TO KILL YOU BUT I DON'T!" :qq:
"I'm a Hero!" *fistpump* "I'm a Hero!" *fistpump* "I'm a Hero!" *fistpump*
"Croikey!" *anime gesture* "Putta shrimp onna barbie! Crocs!"
"I'm also Australian"
"...I loving hate you all." *punch*
"'M black, y'all. Ain't that right?" "Kweh!"

I'm not so sure any of this is any worse than the rest of the games on a point by point basis but I think the sum of it ends up worse because there just isn't really a plot ever.

Also guy playing 13 please pay attention to the thread title when reading any comments in this thread.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's surprising that I didn't like After Years given how much I love FF4, but I dunno... is it just me or does it feel a little slapped together a little haphazardly? Like, the sprites and menus are different resolutions and it looks bad.

After Years is terrible in plot and mechanics and it feels horribly, horribly slapped together. Assuming its cannon it also makes it so that everyone in FFVI died to the final boss of After Years and the final boss is terrible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FFV GBA also has totally redrawn battle backgrounds that look really nice :)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

Assuming its cannon it also makes it so that everyone in FFVI died to the final boss of After Years and the final boss is terrible.

Wait, wait, wait. What? What?!

Also, since when are any numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I will take heed if the title. People telling me to play X, I am unemployed, disabled and despise the PS2 controller, so XIII it is!