Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

What's the return policy like? I ordered a 8gb and 16gb to test; but how long will I have to return? Is there a fee involved?

Return policy on Apple stuff is 14 days unopened.

If you open it they charge you a 15% restock fee. So in short: Return the 8GB, take the 16GB.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do you guys need 16 GB of RAM?

Because Running OSX, and Windows 7, and Windows XP, and 3-4 instances of Server 2008 R2 all on the same machine at the same time for development purposes takes a lot of memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple does not charge a restocking fee

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple does not charge a restocking fee

Then this changed from the last time I thought about returning something. The guys at the fruit stand specifically told me 14 Days Full Refund on non-opened laptops, opened product was exchange or a 10%-15% restock fee.

Maybe they don't do that anymore.

Apple posted:

Return and Refund Policy

All we ask is that you send it back to us with the original receipt (or gift receipt) and original packaging (including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product) within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. If the item is returned within this timeframe, we'll exchange it or offer a refund based upon the original payment method. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment.

Maybe they went to Opened items exchange only unless defective?

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 13, 2012

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Then this changed from the last time I thought about returning something. The guys at the fruit stand specifically told me 14 Days Full Refund on non-opened laptops, opened product was exchange or a 10%-15% restock fee.

Maybe they don't do that anymore.

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Looks like a return within 14 days will get you a full refund.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007
I also remember a restocking fee on opened items. From the returns page linked above,

"If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store (1-800-MY-APPLE), or to a U.S. Apple Store, within 30 calendar days from shipment for a full refund. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. Your iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation. For more details, refer to iPhone Help page."

It's the only place a restocking fee is mentioned but definitely alludes to the fact that one exists in some cases.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

hamza posted:

I also remember a restocking fee on opened items. From the returns page linked above,

"If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store (1-800-MY-APPLE), or to a U.S. Apple Store, within 30 calendar days from shipment for a full refund. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. Your iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation. For more details, refer to iPhone Help page."

It's the only place a restocking fee is mentioned but definitely alludes to the fact that one exists in some cases.

Yeah, if you return it without the original packaging, or after 30 days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a recommended drive to upgrade a newer iMac with? I was thinking of using a WD Black 2TB. Is there a 'regular' 3TB drive that would be faster? Trying to keep it under $250

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
"Pulled the trigger" on the bumped up Macbook Air. I was hoping for Retina, but I'm guessing that's coming early next year. On the plus side I called in and got 8% off, a free Magic Mouse, and free expedited shipping. Weeeeeeee

UPDATE: My credit card that I used to order this stuff over the phone just experienced fraudulent charges. What suspicious timing. Thanks, Apple.

Qaz Kwaz fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 13, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Qaz Kwaz posted:

UPDATE: My credit card that I used to order this stuff over the phone just experienced fraudulent charges. What suspicious timing. Thanks, Apple.

Yea, Apple is really making all their products off selling your credit card info to criminals.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a recommended drive to upgrade a newer iMac with? I was thinking of using a WD Black 2TB. Is there a 'regular' 3TB drive that would be faster? Trying to keep it under $250

I would check on the HD, I remember that the internal drives for iMacs have a special cable and sensor that if a drive like it is not installed the fans will go crazy because they aren't getting info from the sensor.

Qaz Kwaz posted:

"Pulled the trigger" on the bumped up Macbook Air. I was hoping for Retina, but I'm guessing that's coming early next year. On the plus side I called in and got 8% off, a free Magic Mouse, and free expedited shipping. Weeeeeeee

Apple loves to charge the full amount, and if that doesn't go through will break it into little amounts to get under the wire. It looks sketchy to some CCs.

My chase amazon card seems to never give 2 shits about apple purchases. I wonder why.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ptier posted:

I would check on the HD, I remember that the internal drives for iMacs have a special cable and sensor that if a drive like it is not installed the fans will go crazy because they aren't getting info from the sensor.

I'm going to just do the SMC command thing like I did on my machine after I installed the SSD to set the speeds manually.

Ended up buying a 3TB Seagate from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST3000DM001/

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

ptier posted:

Apple loves to charge the full amount, and if that doesn't go through will break it into little amounts to get under the wire. It looks sketchy to some CCs.

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, Apple is really making all their products off selling your credit card info to criminals.

It's not that--it's for a separate site entirely, zoosk.com, which I've never been to, let alone heard of. Considering this is the only purchase I've made with this card in the past 6 months AND I physically told the CC info to the CS rep, what other explanation could there be?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did anyone see the iFixit teardown of the new MBAs?

The new SSDs are allegedly SandForce based but still made by Toshiba;

Apple's still sticking with the same Broadcom wireless chips (since they work great with the Broadcom hardware in the AEBS/Time Capsule I don't have a problem with this..);

the SSDs use a new connector so OWC better get cracking on their hardware partners to adapt..

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Qaz Kwaz posted:

It's not that--it's for a separate site entirely, zoosk.com, which I've never been to, let alone heard of. Considering this is the only purchase I've made with this card in the past 6 months AND I physically told the CC info to the CS rep, what other explanation could there be?

What phone number did you call? It would be funny if someone bought an 800 number that was 1 digit off, and they have just been waiting for someone to fat finger the Apple number.

But seriously, you think Apple is selling your credit card number? Or maybe your phone line is tapped... :tinfoil:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Zooks is an popular dating site - you probably got your number stolen last time you ordered take-out.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Someone was listening in on your cordless phone, which is entirely possible these days? I told a friend of mine to buy a 2.4 GHz cordless phone with SST (spread spectrum technology) after her ex-boyfriend started to leave messages where he knew she was calling her mother a lot, and she had a 900 MHz phone which you can pick up on an off-the-shelf Radio Shack scanner.

Getting software to tone down the fans if you don't get the Apple drives with the sensor will work, but when you start the iMac you're going to hear the jet engine whine every power up until the OS kicks in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Getting software to tone down the fans if you don't get the Apple drives with the sensor will work, but when you start the iMac you're going to hear the jet engine whine every power up until the OS kicks in.

The fans don't turn on (at least to audible levels) until I've been running for a few minutes.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Qaz Kwaz posted:

Brute force is increasingly common. The length of the card number is known, the first several digits are known, the checksum formulae are known... throw a couple hundred potential numbers at a wall and some of them are going to stick. And if you think the expiration date and CVV code are supposed to stop that, then the Payment Card Industry's marketing campaign has done its job. In most cases a charge will still be approved with nothing but a number or a number and invalid details.

(There's a reason your liability for fraudulent charges is federally limited to $50.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 13, 2012

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Factory Factory posted:

Where are people getting the idea that it's a 4:3 screen? It's 16:10 with 16:10 resolutions.
The photos on the gdgt feed were stretched vertically ( no, not artefacts of being taken from an angle) such that the laptops looked 4:3. It fooled some people, including me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Retina MacBook Pro teardown!

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display-Teardown/9462/1

Battery is glued in.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Crosspost from the YOS, here:

Because I really wanted to see the new RMBP, I went over to the Apple Store again and they had them on display. No units for sale yet, but the employees said they'd have them within a day or two. Impressions:

Pros:
- The screen is the best loving part of this thing and cannot be underemphasized in any way, shape, or form. No one should give a gently caress about the 1440x900 resolution, because the 1920x1200 scaled resolution is basically a thousand times better. If you want screen real estate in basically-still-retina form, then the RMBP owns.

Cons:
- It's still pretty heavy to someone coming from an Air. Even if it's a pound and a half difference and still lighter than any of the regular MBP models, the weight is noticeable.

- In 1920x1200 scaling, there's a bit of choppiness. It's not dramatic, but when dragging around windows and scrolling there's at least a somewhat noticeable amount of it. My concern is that it'll start chugging if you're doing anything intensive in that scale, or at the least that anything more than a couple basic things, it's going to force on the discrete GPU and kill the battery life.

- The already known issue that you can't upgrade anything (gently caress actually trying to upgrade the storage).

Here are some photos, all in 1920x1200 scaling mode. The pictures probably won't do it justice, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Next round of updates to that thing should be a lot better - improve graphics chip especially. I always find it easy to hold off on 1st gen Apple tech because the next revision blows it away.

Macbook Air, iPad, etc.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Next round of updates to that thing should be a lot better - improve graphics chip especially. I always find it easy to hold off on 1st gen Apple tech because the next revision blows it away.

Macbook Air, iPad, etc.

Yeah -- given the choice right now, I may still consider updating to a newer Air with 8 gigs just because it'd be really nice to have, and the USB 3/HD 4000 doesn't hurt, either (and I wouldn't end up being out very much). I'm definitely at least a tiny bit concerned that there may be at least a small number of soon-to-occur issues with the RMBPs.

Edit: Ultimately, the only reason I'd want the RMBP is for the screen real estate on a reasonably-sized notebook, which also happens to look fantastic.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Do all/most other laptop makers design their own boards and poo poo like Apple does or do they just buy commercial parts in bulk and connect it together?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Bad battery = new laptop? Do Not Like. Maybe I should get one with apple care and preemptively ruin the battery 2.5 years in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Qaz Kwaz posted:

I got a fraudulent charge alert from Apple one time when ordering a photo book off of Aperture. But to be fair, it was a $400 purchase that I was making at 3am I guess.... but I had to call the bank and have them put the charge through when I resubmitted it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do all/most other laptop makers design their own boards and poo poo like Apple does or do they just buy commercial parts in bulk and connect it together?

Some of them will do their own mobos for certain series, otherwise they'll relabel/slightly customized stock offerings from Clevo, etc.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Macbook Air, iPad, etc.

While I can agree with that for the most part, for me I have been on a MacBook Pro 13" and I really want dual monitors. I love that the screen is awesome when I am mobile, but at my desk, I will be dual monitoring and Air Displaying my iPad 3. Oh the real estate! This really does seem like an awesome desktop replacement with all the connectivity options and amazing screen when on the road.

Edit: Also StarCraft 2

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

While apple sort-of has a history of their second revision to a new product line being a worthwhile boost from it's initial debut, I'd wager to say that the drivers for the 650M aren't fully matured for the Retina Display's scaling capabilities.

Once the models have been in circulation for a few months and apple gets a chance to refine the way the OS / GPU handle things like display scaling, we'll probably see marked improvement for things like choppiness while dragging windows at 1920x1200 and the like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gonna punch everyone on the internet today who says "Hurf durf you can't even replace the battery or the RAM what a stupid laptop loving iTard crapple users"

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Gonna punch everyone on the internet today who says "Hurf durf you can't even replace the battery or the RAM what a stupid laptop loving iTard crapple users"

You don't understand how much superior my desktop-replacement 8.5lb laptop is!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

You don't understand how much superior my desktop-replacement 8.5lb laptop is!

But my ultra book has a screen on the back of its screen! Thats like having a retina display!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yeah because if my battery wears out in a couple years of hard use, welp throw it away and spend another 2-3k on a computer.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's not like Apple techs won't be able to replace the batteries for you.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's not like Apple techs won't be able to replace the batteries for you.

Yeah, I figure its like the MBPs, either get lucky at the end of your AppleCare and they do it for free, or you pay cost of battery and they resolder a few wires for you.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
^^didn't iFixit say they tried hard but couldn't remove the battery? Would apple techs have magic tools that iFixit doesn't have?

Infinotize posted:

Yeah because if my battery wears out in a couple years of hard use, welp throw it away and spend another 2-3k on a computer.

The battery in my MBP wore out after 2 years of daily 8 hr+ use. $120 bought me a new one and extended the computer's life/relevance by another year. If I didn't naturally want a new computer now, I could keep it for another year easily.

Maybe these new batteries won't wear out as quick? What about the used market if they do?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

ynotony posted:

^^didn't iFixit say they tried hard but couldn't remove the battery? Would apple techs have magic tools that iFixit doesn't have?

I'm not sure why they didn't try hitting the case with a heat gun.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

RMBP arrived this morning ahead of schedule. Why does wifi have to be down at work? WHY :negative:

Cinebench results:

OpenGL: 39.21
CPU: 6.86

tuna fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 13, 2012

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't try hitting the case with a heat gun.

Probably not prepared to lose their precious RMBP yet :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe they were afraid of setting the battery on fire, or melting it?

Worst comes to worst if Apple doesn't make you use a heat gun, they'll sell the entire upper case with the battery as a discrete part. Of course that means you have to disassemble the machine quite a bit but it's not like you'll be doing this every week as a regular user.