Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wait, wait, wait. What? What?!

Also, since when are any numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe?

The premise of FFIV:TAY's villain is that it seeded crystals on worlds to cause evolution and blah blah bullshit. When you are venturing down to fight it, you battle through the crystals it has collected from the FFIV world, which is basically a FFIV boss rush. Then you battle crystals it collected from other worlds which represent a boss rush from FFI to FFVI. The implication was that it had already been to the other FF worlds. (Gilgamesh and Ultros both make direct references to their games IIRC.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

On the way to final boss, the party encounter some bosses from FF VI such as Ultros, Ultima Weapon, Doom Gaze and the Ghost Train. But I thought they were just cameos? Much like Ultros in FF XIII-2 is just cameo DLC? As for numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe, supposedly FF VII and FF X take place in different worlds on the same universe according to an Ultimania guide but that just seems like an asspull by the writers that connects the most popular game west with the most popular game in Japan to me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Gilgamesh is the same Gilgamesh througout the series, using the void to traverse to the different words/universes.

And depending on how canonical you view some of the material from Dissidia, the Void itself is responsible for the connected multiverse.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As for numbered Final Fantasy games in the same universe, supposedly FF VII and FF X take place in different worlds on the same universe according to an Ultimania guide but that just seems like an asspull by the writers that connects the most popular game west with the most popular game in Japan to me.

It's also briefly mentioned by Shinra at the end of FFX-2, who concludes you could use the energy inside the planet to power something, but considering the two worlds have almost nothing in common aside from using the energy inside of magical spheres it's more of a reference than an actual link.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think he meant to type IV and typed VI, I had a double take too.

Edit: no idea what I'm talking about here.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A friend of mine had a crazy idea that it was one world. His reasoning was that the combined world map from FF5 was similar to the World of Balance in FF6. The World of Ruin's geographic looked kinda like the map in 7, and 7 and 8 also had a similar map. The reason why FF9 was a retro throwback was because they compressed time in FF8. By FF10 and 11 though he was like "nah, nevermind, dumb idea."

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Minrad posted:

It's also briefly mentioned by Shinra at the end of FFX-2, who concludes you could use the energy inside the planet to power something, but considering the two worlds have almost nothing in common aside from using the energy inside of magical spheres it's more of a reference than an actual link.

If I remember correctly, Shinra says that he's located a distant planet that would be far more suitable than Spira, but that it would take 1000 years to reach.

I didn't finish X-2 though, I need to do that someday. I only got to mid chapter 3, but it was a lot of fun!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

The plot of the game is the big villain seeds worlds with crystals for evolution or something stupid and then comes back and harvests the crystals back and kills everybody on the planet. Given that he has the bosses from FFVI in his possession in associated crystals and the party doesn't get any information to the contrary the only assumption is that the villain has already returned to the planet of FFVI and killed everyone for evolution.

Evolution.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh, I have it, I've just never been able to get through it. For whatever reason, I just kinda loose interest and stop playing every time I try to play through it. (I know, I must have terrible taste in games.) Same thing with FF3 DS, FF12 and 13.

You can't really blame me with FF13, though. I got to the Cid boss fight and said gently caress it.

I can't blame you for FF3DS, either. It takes a great game that has a few major flaws and then increases those flaws and adds a few more on.

quote:

Also, would you count X-2 and After Years as numbered games? Because I couldn't get through those, either. I got bored playing those really quick. It's surprising that I didn't like After Years given how much I love FF4, but I dunno... is it just me or does it feel a little slapped together a little haphazardly? Like, the sprites and menus are different resolutions and it looks bad.

The After Years is nothing more than a ROM hack that has a twelve-year-old's fanfiction attached to it. It can be fun to play if you liked FF4's battle system as they actually enhance the strategy and tactics, plus you get a shitload of characters and combat styles to play with. But it's just so heavily flawed in most other areas, especially the story. It's hard to say what's worse, the fact that the game literally reuses 90% of the scenes from the original game, or the stuff that's actually original. In a way, it's a shittier version of 13-2.

It's the only game I've seen that takes the other-FF boss rush that's in the bonus dungeons of other games, and makes it canon. It also doesn't help that the villain has perhaps the blandest, most nonexistent personality I've seen in a game, or that the game literally doesn't share the plot until five minutes before the final battle.

Trust me, you're not missing much.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I can't blame you for FF3DS, either. It takes a great game that has a few major flaws and then increases those flaws and adds a few more on.

What are those flaws? The thing that really kind of sticks out to me in FF3 DS is it's kinda... weird, progression-wise. Maybe I'm just a dumbass, but I think it's kind of a confusing game. Often times I'll ask myself "Am I in the right place? Am I supposed to be here right now? Do I have the right jobs? At the right levels?" Basically, the big question that keeps coming up is "Am I playing this game the right way? What the hell am I supposed to do?"

I also think the battle system's kinda clunky, if you know what I mean. I guess I just like old-school FF where you see a bunch of dudes from the side.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

der juicen posted:

I will take heed if the title. People telling me to play X, I am unemployed, disabled and despise the PS2 controller, so XIII it is!

I'll give you five to six hours before your will is broken, and you refuse to play FFXIII again. At least FFVII - FFX you can pretty much play with one hand because all the combat is turn based.

No hyperbole; FFXIII is really that bad.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Die Laughing posted:

I'll give you five to six hours before your will is broken, and you refuse to play FFXIII again. At least FFVII - FFX you can pretty much play with one hand because all the combat is turn based.

No hyperbole; FFXIII is really that bad.

I recommended X because it would be easy with one hand, and XIII is unplayable (until 25 hours in from what I hear.)

I try not to get into "XIII is the worst" considering the thread title, but I can't in good conscience let someone walk down that path if they ask about it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
XIII's bad, but it's even more simple because the first 20 hours are pressing X through trivial battles where you still don't have a full party or unlocked systems yet. I feel like XIII doesn't get enough due for being the absolute best PS3 screen saver of 2010.

But really, by even this decade's JRPG standards, FFXIII falls short of 'good.'

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

XIII's bad, but it's even more simple because the first 20 hours are pressing X through trivial battles where you still don't have a full party or unlocked systems yet. I feel like XIII doesn't get enough due for being the absolute best PS3 screen saver of 2010.

But really, by even this decade's JRPG standards, FFXIII falls short of 'good.'

Oh yeah, you can "play" XIII by simply hitting X for hours (you are forced to for the first couple hours), but you can also "play" an actual Movie that doesn't suck by hitting X like, once or twice. The battle system in FFX was really good, you could pace it yourself, and you get access to the entire story (for better or worse) without having to delve into dozens of pages of Codex type stuff.

And XIII was a beautiful screensaver, and does get even too much credit for it (getting rated 8/10-10/10 by game reviewers when it is a solid 4 or 5 game with 10 graphics)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

p.crestmont posted:

I recommended X because it would be easy with one hand, and XIII is unplayable (until 25 hours in from what I hear.)

I try not to get into "XIII is the worst" considering the thread title, but I can't in good conscience let someone walk down that path if they ask about it.

Except you keep ignoring the fact that he doesn't have the consoles to play the other games nor money to procure them. Seriously, people, I'm sure he's picked up the general consensus that XIII is bad. Some people do enjoy it, though, so if he wants to play it (and he doesn't really have other options) let him make his own decisions.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
It feels like XIII gets too much of a bad rap. It's like watching the me spoiler thread where the posters transitioned from '99% of the game was awesome but the ending sucked' to 'me3 was a mediocre game'. (I'm not saying 99 of XIII was awesome) As time passes the negative tint clouds memory and it seems worse in retrospect. I watched all the XIII cutscenes while leveling while leveling a guy in D3 after we talked about the plot in here and it was far better than I had remembered.

Hope is still stupid, Vanille's voice is still awful, Lindzei is mentioned by name and Etro is explicitly referenced, just not named in cutscene. I only remembered it happening once, but Lighting decks Snow twice. (Right after I had said 'punch him again' she did!) That's what I learned from it.

Am I ever going to play it again? No. Do I regret playing it? No.

Winks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 13, 2012

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

p.crestmont posted:

Oh yeah, you can "play" XIII by simply hitting X for hours (you are forced to for the first couple hours), but you can also "play" an actual Movie that doesn't suck by hitting X like, once or twice. The battle system in FFX was really good, you could pace it yourself, and you get access to the entire story (for better or worse) without having to delve into dozens of pages of Codex type stuff.

In my opinion, FFX had the best gameplay in the entire series. The storyline was beyond retarded and all the characters sucked except for Auron, but the game was really pretty, had great music, and great gameplay. Summons were also really cool. It's very far from perfect, but I had a whole lot of fun playing it. I really wish the HD port wasn't PS3 only. I would love a 360 or PC port of that game, but it'll never happen.

p.crestmont posted:

And XIII was a beautiful screensaver, and does get even too much credit for it (getting rated 8/10-10/10 by game reviewers when it is a solid 4 or 5 game with 10 graphics)

Official game reviews are garbage. Just take a look at the gaming journalism thread to see why you should never listen to them. I just go by word of mouth, because I know my friends are paid to give good reviews.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

der juicen posted:

I will take heed if the title. People telling me to play X, I am unemployed, disabled and despise the PS2 controller, so XIII it is!

Sell your 360 and get a PS2 with the money. The thread title is just a little joke. XIII is really the worst. 90% of the thread will agree on that. (Or they'll say it's second worst to FFVIII)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
IX is the worst!!!

Probably not but it's my personal least favorite of the 5 or so I've played

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Sell your 360 and get a PS2 with the money. The thread title is just a little joke. XIII is really the worst. 90% of the thread will agree on that. (Or they'll say it's second worst to FFVIII)
Anyone that says that has not played every final fantasy for comparison.

Winks fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 13, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I think most people in this thread will agree that while 13 and 8 have their issues they are both better than 2.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Personally, I think FF2 for the NES is pretty bad. Nobody knows that though because nobody in the west ever played it. The best thing about FF2 is that is generally comes packaged with FF1.

Not sure if I can say its worse than 8 or 13, though.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 13, 2012

Barudak
May 7, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

I think most people in this thread will agree that while 13 and 8 have their issues they are both better than 2.

Final Fantasy II for the gameboy has rough edges but that's pretty harsh criticism for a game where you can eat monster parts to turn into different creatures and you kill the hindu heirarchy.

Oh you're talking about NES 2? Oh gently caress that then.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Yes, but II gets away with being terrible because of its age. VIII's plot is just a big confusing mess, and XIII is another big confusing mess which tried to be a movie pretending to be a game. And XIII was released in 09, by which time, you'd have thought that they'd know how to plot a story.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Guys, 8's pretty good. I liken it to 10: amazing mini-game, good graphics, fun to play, and has a terrible story. Oh poo poo, the thread title is true after all!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This September, Final Fantasy III DS is getting re-released for the PSP in Japan.

Since there's already been an iPhone version, does anybody know if they fixed any of its problems?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Guys, 8's pretty good. I liken it to 10: amazing mini-game, good graphics, fun to play, and has a terrible story. Oh poo poo, the thread title is true after all!

10 has the best Final Fantasy setting and some of the most poo poo-awful writing whenever Auron and Jecht aren't around. FFX supremacy.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Except you keep ignoring the fact that he doesn't have the consoles to play the other games nor money to procure them. Seriously, people, I'm sure he's picked up the general consensus that XIII is bad. Some people do enjoy it, though, so if he wants to play it (and he doesn't really have other options) let him make his own decisions.

This is an important point I am ignoring, sorry about that. Play XIII-2 maybe? I heard it's better than XIII? If not go ahead with XIII, wasting a few hours to decide it's terrible and trade it in isn't a big deal. I lived through it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

p.crestmont posted:

This is an important point I am ignoring, sorry about that. Play XIII-2 maybe? I heard it's better than XIII? If not go ahead with XIII, wasting a few hours to decide it's terrible and trade it in isn't a big deal. I lived through it.

The opening scene of 13-2 is the final cutscene of 13, so that may not be the best idea if you haven't played 13. 13-2 is better in some ways, worse in other, but on the whole it is a general improvement.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Personally I like 13 a little more than 10 but they're both a couple of my least favorites along with 2.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yes, but II gets away with being terrible because of its age. VIII's plot is just a big confusing mess, and XIII is another big confusing mess which tried to be a movie pretending to be a game. And XIII was released in 09, by which time, you'd have thought that they'd know how to plot a story.

Problem with giving it pass because of age is that they made a perfectly good game right before it. 2 is awful in a lot of ways but mainly people hate it because of how much worse it was compared to 1. 8 and 13 at least had some redeeming qualities. I'm struggling to think of any for 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Problem with giving it pass because of age is that they made a perfectly good game right before it. 2 is awful in a lot of ways but mainly people hate it because of how much worse it was compared to 1. 8 and 13 at least had some redeeming qualities. I'm struggling to think of any for 2.

The main villain dies, goes to hell, and takes it over so he can come back as the final boss.

A final boss who is weak v toad.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Artix74 posted:

The opening scene of 13-2 is the final cutscene of 13, so that may not be the best idea if you haven't played 13. 13-2 is better in some ways, worse in other, but on the whole it is a general improvement.

Yes I understand, maybe watch some videos of "essential" XIII story cutscenes on YouTube and then play XIII-2?

Ok being facetious here but I can't help it XIII was painful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

p.crestmont posted:

Yes I understand, maybe watch some videos of "essential" XIII story cutscenes on YouTube and then play XIII-2?

Ok being facetious here but I can't help it XIII was painful.

If you think FFXIII was literally painful, FFXIII-2 isn't going to change your mind. It's almost identical except with a stupider plot, more poorly balanced combat and (relatively) less linearity.

Jesus, people act like FFXIII killed their puppy instead of "was overly linear and had a stupid plot." It's ridiculous.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fister Roboto posted:

axes ignore enemy defense

Not entirely, but they do ignore 3/4 of it, which is still pretty good assuming you hit.

divide by zero posted:

Second, it's stat modifier for strength isn't anywhere near as high as it should be, for a class that only hits things. Next is axes, something rather unique to the class, which are inaccurate and I believe have a large fluctuation of damage, like 70%-130% variation.

50% to 150%, actually. And Berserkers actually have the third highest Strength in the game (Knights are second place, and Monks and Gladiators from the GBA bonus stuff are tied for first). But Bersekers also get a 1.5 boost to their weapon's attack stat before the damage multiplier is applied.

I'd show off how the math involved works, but I doubt anyone here is interested in a post that :goonsay:.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you think FFXIII was literally painful, FFXIII-2 isn't going to change your mind. It's almost identical except with a stupider plot, more poorly balanced combat and somewhat less linearity.

Jesus, people act like FFXIII killed their puppy instead of "was overly linear and had a stupid plot." It's ridiculous.

Yeah I'm not going to try XIII-2 I figured that was about it.

And Final Fantasy was my puppy growing up and XIII killed it :cry:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

It sounds like the guy likes cutscenes and straightforward game play. He might even like XIII in that case.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

And after FFI they tried a completely different approach. Yeah, FFII was...is still awful, for myriad reasons. Even without comparing it to FFI it's still an unfun slog and a terrible pile. Comparing to FFI just makes it all the more worse.

VIII is SE doing their utmost to try to make the most confusing plot they could, with liberal sprinklings of the most forced attempt at romance that wasn't topped until Twilight. The only good bits are the ones with Laguna and co.

XIII is SE not hiring competent directors or keeping a stern hand on the rudder, and just cramming stuff in, regardless of whether it fits. There are good moments in both, yes, but they're few and far between.

And everytime someone says FFXIII had good moments, SE asks Yoko Taro to torch an animal shelter.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Pesky Splinter posted:

And everytime someone says FFXIII had good moments, SE asks Yoko Taro to torch an animal shelter.

If his games are anything to go by, he doesn't need any encouragement. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Jesus, I'd hate to see what would happen if you ever had to play Last Rebellion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, I'd hate to see what would happen if you ever had to play Last Rebellion.

Hey, ImpAtom, I've only got so much time, and so much hate to go around. and no PS3 to hate it on :v:

I like that the wikipedia page says:

quote:

"NIS America's president, Haru Akenaga, stated that the game was "not the kind of title we should release in the United States because of its quality", and that he felt "really sorry for our customers because we released that title"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 13, 2012