Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Longinus00 posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a good mousepad that's not too expensive? I've had a plastic mousepad for awhile now and I noticed it's gotten worn down in a spot. Do cloth mousepads avoid this issue or is it only something that happens on crappy pads?

My old cloth pad had serious discoloring after just a couple months of use. But it's a cheapo 3 dollar one.

If you're willing to spend a little, or want to get drunk and spend money on extremely frivolous computer equipment, get the Razer Vespula. It's like 30 bucks but quite awesome.
Two sided and includes a (somewhat mediocre) wrist rest. I use the "rough" side which makes my mouse feel like it's gliding on ice. I can lightly tap my mouse and it'll glide a good 3-4 inches. No noticeable wear after a year of use. The smooth side has much more friction which my sister prefers.

The shape of it allows you to flip it around and use your own wrist rest or nothing. One possible issue for some people is that it's fairly small for a "gaming" mousepad. The strange shape doesn't help but usable space is approximately 10.5x8in. Not for people who like swinging their mouse all over the desk.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I suppose my QcK has discoloured but it just really needed a good clean. The faded patches were due to accumulated dead skin and oil but after a good soak in soapy water its black as night again. :black101:

I suppose if you are taking the dye out of the fabric for whatever reason, you can always dye it again pretty easily.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

WanderingKid posted:

I suppose my QcK has discoloured but it just really needed a good clean. The faded patches were due to accumulated dead skin and oil but after a good soak in soapy water its black as night again. :black101:

I suppose if you are taking the dye out of the fabric for whatever reason, you can always dye it again pretty easily.

I've had this Razer Goliathus for about four years or something and I'm always having to soak it in soapy water. Dead skin accumulates so easily on it. It's rather disgusting.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
Got my g400 today and straight away I will say the middle mouse button is very stiff to click and to scroll. I wonder if that'll change over time though. That's my only complaint so far though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

WanderingKid posted:

I have to thank you for the tip, I wash my QcK regularly but that never removed the faded patch so I thought it was mousefeet wear. I left it a couple hours in the sink and voilą, the discolouring is almost unnoticeable now :)

e: On the flip side, the wet wristpad has stuck to the wet mousepad and got imprinted with the Steelseries logo (flipped). Not sure if :) or :(

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 8, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I've got a laptop I'm going to use for gaming on the road coming in the next week. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bluetooth mouse to go along with it?

I'm currently leaning towards the Razer Orochi (since I can switch it to wired if the batteries die), with the Logitech V470 also looking not bad.

I'm not beholden to either though, so is there something else out there I should be looking at?

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
So hearing how great their support is, I contacted Logitech by email since it was a weekend to get my roommate's defective brand-new G400 replaced as well as my MX518 with a short. They asked me to confirm all the data (product ID, model ID, serial #) on both mice and said they'd send me a shipping label to send them both back. Sent that info in and they say they don't need me to ship them after all and they'll replace them ("the 'MX400' is no longer available, we'll send you a G400 instead" :psyduck:), then send me two invoices with identical UPS numbers about two hours apart.

I figure this is because they replaced both and put them in the same box, so imagine my surprise when I get a single one a week later, my ticket can't be reopened, and if I generate a new one it's closed with "your original representative will get back to you". I'd call them but it's been two weeks total and I don't want to gently caress around with this any longer when I've got a coupon for 35% off a new one that expires in a few days.

So Logitech support is probably pretty good (and even if it wasn't, I'd still buy another G400), just make sure to call them instead if you have an issue.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

WanderingKid posted:

What's the QcK? If it's not too expensive I'd like to give it a go.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

QcK are Steelseries' cloth pads. They have acceptable prices and they come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Ok I was going to post this in the hardware thread but after looking it through I figured here would be better. Does anyone know how to get a PS3 controller working with Windows 7? I've found numerous guides online but most of them are outdated or require me to download drivers from websites I've never even heard of and turn off driver signature enforcement. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

macnbc posted:

So I've got a laptop I'm going to use for gaming on the road coming in the next week. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bluetooth mouse to go along with it?

I'm currently leaning towards the Razer Orochi (since I can switch it to wired if the batteries die), with the Logitech V470 also looking not bad.

I'm not beholden to either though, so is there something else out there I should be looking at?
I would look into the Logitech MX Anywhere. Much better battery life than a BT alternative.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Buck Turgidson posted:

Ok I was going to post this in the hardware thread but after looking it through I figured here would be better. Does anyone know how to get a PS3 controller working with Windows 7? I've found numerous guides online but most of them are outdated or require me to download drivers from websites I've never even heard of and turn off driver signature enforcement. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I use MotioninJoy. Works great. I believe the latest version has its driver signed.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Ah great, thanks. I took a look at that before but I didn't notice that the latest version's driver is signed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Buck Turgidson posted:

This is isn't exactly what you want, but Logitech make a few models of game pad that are very very similar to a PlayStation controller, but designed for windows.

Xbox style controllers are of course a dime a dozen for windows.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

Xbox style controllers are of course a dime a dozen for windows.

Always have to recommend the Xbox 360 controller. Every modern game has a built in profile to work with it without any configuration. It transforms PC gaming, in my opinion. It's so necessary that I'm surprised that gaming PCs don't flat out ship with it as a matter of course.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Always have to recommend the Xbox 360 controller. Every modern game has a built in profile to work with it without any configuration. It transforms PC gaming, in my opinion. It's so necessary that I'm surprised that gaming PCs don't flat out ship with it as a matter of course.

Personally I prefer Playstation style layout. A gamepad is by no means necessary to PC gaming. I have no objection to PC games being made for use with a controller (just like I have no problem with a game being made to use a joystick, or steering wheel) as long as the game benefits from being built around a controller - any kind of 2d platformer for eg, or a third person action game that requires stringing together combos of button presses in real time.

What I hate with a passion is any game that should never have had to be played with a gamepad, that has been designed around a substandard gamepad experience to suit the limitations of consoles - ie - any first person game ever, most RPGs, etc.

This - combined with games still featuring visuals years out of date because they need to scale to the hardware limitations of consoles - is the real crux of the consolised PC games debate, not Rarr! every PC game needs to be buit around a mouse and keyboard.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

NihilCredo posted:

QcK are Steelseries' cloth pads. They have acceptable prices and they come in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.

Cool. I ordered one from newegg and it'll even get here before my warranty replacement g500 does.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I prefer Playstation style layout. A gamepad is by no means necessary to PC gaming.

Isn't the only real difference that the left stick and dpad are swapped? it's more that the 360 controller has an API - xinput, just for it, for zero configuration in a lot of new games.

Might not be necessary, but I can't imagine I'd have had much fun with Assassin's Creed on keyboard and mouse. Movement is so different and of course analogue on a stick, that it lends itself to use cases keyboard and mouse do not. For example: racing games with no analogue control? Not great.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Isn't the only real difference that the left stick and dpad are swapped? it's more that the 360 controller has an API - xinput, just for it, for zero configuration in a lot of new games.
Logitech's gamepads have xinput support as well.

quote:

Might not be necessary, but I can't imagine I'd have had much fun with Assassin's Creed on keyboard and mouse. Movement is so different and of course analogue on a stick, that it lends itself to use cases keyboard and mouse do not. For example: racing games with no analogue control? Not great.
Personally I played all AC games just fine on kb/m, as well as both Batmans and a couple of Princes of Persia. (Having three mouse thumb buttons and the wheel-right 'button' helped a lot, to be fair.) Made decent progress in Super Meat Boy, too.

Thing is I grew up on DOS platformers, all of which I played with the keyboard only, so I'm entirely used to that; modern gamepads feel largely alien to me. The only gamepad I ever had was a MS Freestyle Pro, whose six-axis controls would have been nice when I picked up a bargain-bin Battle Engine Aquila, but that's about it.

(On the other side, I also grew up with Star Wars / Wing Commander games played with joysticks, and those I do miss, although since I'm not into realistic flight simulators it's been a while since I played anything that could really use one - last time was with Mechwarrior 4. When MechWarrior Online comes out, assuming I like it, I'll probably buy a phallic metaphor to go with it.)

For what it's worth, I think that for desktop use a Belkin Nostromo / Logitech G13 style controller (plus a gaming mouse) combines almost all the advantages of both a keyboard and a gamepad. Pity the current devices don't have a true analog thumbstick though.

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
Following the thread for a while, I don't recall seeing anyone mention the Coolermaster Storm Xornet. Anyone have one or have any opinions on it? Price seems pretty great at about $30.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Got a R.A.T. 7.
Defective. Mouse occasionally slows down. The software is also complete garbage, you can't even turn off the lights on the drat thing.

Shipped back to Amazon after playing a couple hours of Starcraft2 1v1. The defectiveness is very apparent when you're throwing down storms or emps in a line or doing rapid selection of your workers when in the beginning and it suddenly bugs out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MeruFM posted:

Got a R.A.T. 7.
Defective. Mouse occasionally slows down. The software is also complete garbage, you can't even turn off the lights on the drat thing.

Shipped back to Amazon after playing a couple hours of Starcraft2 1v1. The defectiveness is very apparent when you're throwing down storms or emps in a line or doing rapid selection of your workers when in the beginning and it suddenly bugs out.

I'm glad I chose not to get one then. It was at the top of my shortlist before I started reading this thread.

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
For those of you who use Logitech's Setpoint software with a G9 mouse, is there any reason to keep that program installed after you've got your settings saved to the onboard memory?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I also use MotionJoy, always in XBox emulation mode. It's unfortunate that you have to enable Xbox mode every time you reboot. It works wirelessly if your computer has blutooth support.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

DEO3 posted:

For those of you who use Logitech's Setpoint software with a G9 mouse, is there any reason to keep that program installed after you've got your settings saved to the onboard memory?

There isn't a reason to uninstall it. It uses a whopping total of 40MB of disk space. Also fairly sure that if you have multiple profiles set for different .exes they won't switch over on game load.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

There isn't a reason to uninstall it. It uses a whopping total of 40MB of disk space. Also fairly sure that if you have multiple profiles set for different .exes they won't switch over on game load.
I haven't had it installed in about a year. I reformatted and never bothered installing it since the onboard memory works well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Looks like logitech just announced a mmo gaming mouse similar to the Razer Naga. http://www.techspot.com/news/49000-logitech-g600-gaming-mouse-features-20-mmo-tuned-buttons.html The buttons look a little larger and easier to find/use. I'd like to see a side by side comparison. I know there is a gent on here that works for logitech, don't suppose a picture could be posted comparing them? I'm definately interested.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

jassi007 posted:

Looks like logitech just announced a mmo gaming mouse similar to the Razer Naga. http://www.techspot.com/news/49000-logitech-g600-gaming-mouse-features-20-mmo-tuned-buttons.html The buttons look a little larger and easier to find/use. I'd like to see a side by side comparison. I know there is a gent on here that works for logitech, don't suppose a picture could be posted comparing them? I'm definately interested.
I was the product manager for the G600, but I left Logitech in February and now work for Corsair.

The thumb buttons on the G600 are slightly larger than the Naga's and are arranged into two sets of six instead of one group of twelve. It is my opinion that they are easier to learn how to use and distinguish from one another blindly.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Goo posted:

I was the product manager for the G600, but I left Logitech in February and now work for Corsair.

The thumb buttons on the G600 are slightly larger than the Naga's and are arranged into two sets of six instead of one group of twelve. It is my opinion that they are easier to learn how to use and distinguish from one another blindly.

Please tell me corsair is making mechanical keyboards of different switch colors (preferably brown), with mechanical switches on ALL buttons, and keeping the same layout.

If so, then :gizz: and I'll take 10.

Edit: Just realized this is the mouse thread, not the keyboard thread so I'll report on my new Razer Imperator 2012.

It's kinda like the Logitech G5 except the material feels more rubbery. Shape is slightly different. No right-left on the wheel which is a good thing for me because middle clicking on G5 is a nightmare. Nothing wrong with it so far.
I cannot help but feel it's somewhat overpriced. At 70 bucks, you're not getting much for your dollar unless you really just want a G5 with no left-right wheel click and less weight.

Oh yeah, it's also pretty barebones regarding features, 2 standard buttons, 2 dpi button, no adjustable weights,

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 15, 2012

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Changing companies doesn't make me able to talk about products we may or may not do in the future. But that is a common piece of feedback.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm one of those weirdos who uses a trackball. I currently have an ancient Logitech Trackman wheel. It mysteriously got a gouge in the wheel and sticks sometimes, not ideal for gaming. I can't go back to moving my hand and arm when just my thumb will do. Unfortunately the trackball market is severely lacking. Does anyone have any experience with the Logitech M570? What sort of input lag is there? It seems like the battery life is pretty good.
Alternately, there appear to be some wired ones available made by kensington and Logitech, but you use your index fingers instead. How do these compare?

Dijon Vu
Nov 5, 2011

Beliebt
I've had the Logitech MX Performance for about a year now. I don't use the extra buttons, but the dual-mode scroll wheel is a nice touch; sometimes, you just need to make a 100,000 line blank spreadsheet as quickly as possible. The battery charges with a usb cable and goes a few weeks between charges if you remember to turn it off at night.

It was a mite big at first, but I've gotten used to it and can't see myself using a ambidextrous mouse after this. I've read that the Revolution is better in some ways, but I haven't used it. That's it, though; all my other mice couldn't have cost more than $20.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
^^^^
Not sure if that was directed at me, but it has no real bearing on my questions since I was asking about trackballs.

Dijon Vu
Nov 5, 2011

Beliebt
No, that was just a post about my experience with $100 mice.

Now that I look, yes, I've used the M570. I like it better than the other trackballs I've used, but it's the only thumb-oriented one I have experience with. It didn't crap out on me either as far as flaws in the ball go.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ah, ok. Did it have any noticeable input lag? I can't abide regular mice anymore, unfortunately trackballs only come in a few varieties or are obscenely expensive. Too bad they don't have a wired version, it's not as if people move their trackballs around ala mice.

I've never used a finger controlled one before, I'm not adverse to the idea of using one, but am hesitant to drop my $ on one without knowing how it'll perform

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 16, 2012

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The M570 does not have noticable input lag. One AA battery lasts several months. The wireless is nice. I have my PC hooked up to a HDTV in addition to my monitor, and use the M570 and a wireless keyboard to play games from a recliner -- living the dream.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

grrarg posted:

The M570 does not have noticable input lag. One AA battery lasts several months. The wireless is nice. I have my PC hooked up to a HDTV in addition to my monitor, and use the M570 and a wireless keyboard to play games from a recliner -- living the dream.

Awesome sounds pretty sweet. I pretty much lay in bed which is also pretty amazing

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MeruFM posted:

Edit: Just realized this is the mouse thread, not the keyboard thread so I'll report on my new Razer Imperator 2012.

It's kinda like the Logitech G5 except the material feels more rubbery. Shape is slightly different. No right-left on the wheel which is a good thing for me because middle clicking on G5 is a nightmare. Nothing wrong with it so far.
I cannot help but feel it's somewhat overpriced. At 70 bucks, you're not getting much for your dollar unless you really just want a G5 with no left-right wheel click and less weight.

Oh yeah, it's also pretty barebones regarding features, 2 standard buttons, 2 dpi button, no adjustable weights,

I have the earlier model of this mouse and I like it. It doesn't have the rubber lined sides like the newer does, but it is still very comfortable. I also like how you can adjust where the thumb buttons sit.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Definitely interested in the G600 but I'm definitely going to need to get my hands on one before I buy one. Hopefully the local NCIX gets some on display soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

My one year old Performance MX is suffering from left-click issues, i.e. it thinks I've double clicked even when I click hold.

Googling the issue it seems like a common thing. Anyone have a good fix or should I just contact Logitech?