Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I have a Galaxy SII with the latest CM9 alpha on it. At work wifi works fine, but at home wifi connects and runs for a while and then it conks out. its connected but there's no network connectivity. Is there some sort of setting on my home wireless that could be causing this? I have no issues with any other devices on the wifi at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

I can't think of reasons not recommend the G Nexus.
Weak radios.
No microsd.

(Though something tells me that your rather hypocritical response to pentile screens ("doesn't bother me -> not a factor") will apply here, too.)

WoG fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 13, 2012

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
What should I expect to pay for a used Nexus S 4G? My Evo Shift is sluggish on CM7 and don't want to deal with the keyboard anymore, it still works though. I live in an area with decent Wimax coverage so not looking at the Galaxy or Evo LTE.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

St. Blaize posted:

I'm confused who you are talking about recommending the phone to. If you're talking about the normal everyday no research on phones type person the Evo is the better choice for two reasons:

Bigger screen (better?)
Far away better camera

The person will not give a poo poo about updates, multitasking, or official Google support. Those two reasons are all I would need to recommend this phone to the person . For a more techy person the conversation will go differently and depending what they want another recommendation may be warranted.

I don't want to come off like an rear end but if you are recommending because of the multitasking issue then I feel like you are pushing your own preferences onto them. I guarantee once the person has their new Nexus in their hands and sees the Evo they will not be happy with your recommendation. I highly recommend you check out the Evo to see it in action.

Isn't there an issue with Google support and the CDMA Nexus?

If we are recommending phones to the normal everyday no research on phones type person, the iPhone is the best option.

Bigger Screen? Just on this page some people were already saying that the G-Nexus was too big so that is totally personal preference. Better, once again subjective since they are wildly different technologies. I think it will suffice to say that they both have really nice big high resolution screens.

Better camera, sure. I can't argue with that more than I can argue with the better CPU. Honestly, I don't care that much about the camera because it's good enough. For point and shoot purposes, the EVO 4G exceeded my needs and every camera on a phone I have had since then has been at least that good.

If the camera is the big selling point for you, then buy all means get the phone. Same with the CPU, or the LCD screen. I could say the same thing about the kick stand. But for my money, its about being a stock android phone with out HTC fuckery in it.

The multitasking issue has the potential to cause other issue. It is HTC changing the standard memory management from the way Android was designed. At best, it is going to cause people's phones to not multitask well. At worse, it could break compatibility with some apps. And even if you think that I am blowing that out of proportion, you have to at least agree that it is not a desirable behavior.

And yes, I am pushing my personal preference. That's the whole point of giving my opinion. My preference is to have a phone that works with out issue and to not have to wait 6-8 months to get software updates because of some bloat that I didn't want in the first place. If I recommended a phone that I think has short comings, I don't think I would be giving a very good opinion.

The CDMA Nexus support thing can best be summed up as that part of the required code needed to run a CDMA radio is licensed and can not be included in the open source. This is a non issue for pretty much everyone because most people will just get the offical OTA updates that have the required info compiled by their carriers. And Rom hackers & developers can just pull the required files from existing ROMs.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
quote not edit...

WoG posted:

Weak radios.
No microsd.

(Though something tells me that your rather hypocritical response to pentile screens ("doesn't bother me -> not a factor") will apply here, too.)

A: You not agreeing with me doesn't make my statement hypocritical. I honestly like the SAMOLED screen and I honestly can't see the pentile sub pixels that people like to complain about.

B: The lack of microSD slot is a two way street. On one hand, you can't expand the storage which is a big negative. On the other, all of your phone storage is available for apps to be installed directly. For me personally, I would have rather had a phone that had 32GB of internal storage and a microSD slot. But in any case, I still have 20GB+ of free space on my phone so it hasn't been an issue yet.

The weak radio thing I have actually been wanting to test using another phone side-by-side and checking the actual radio -dB readings since the number of bars is completely meaningless when it comes to reading signal strength.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

A: You not agreeing with me doesn't make my statement hypocritical.
I didn't say anything about agreeing with you or not. What I'm calling hypocritical is your characterizing 'has Sense' as an indisputable "flaw", while dismissing demonstrable weaknesses like the pentile layout with a "good enough for me".*

I did a couple minutes of comparison at a sprint store the other day, and it seemed like the evo was generally a few dB stronger (but it was far too brief a test, with enough second-to-second variation, to draw real conclusions). I've heard enough about it to believe it's not fantasy, though, and I'm in service fringes enough for it to be an issue, personally.

*or waving off the non-expandable storage and lack of usb mass storage mode with "well, it's a two-way street".
[e:] It's all about spin, really. The nexus has superior multitasking, therefore the evo's is "broken"; the evo has a superior screen and camera, therefore the nexus' are, likewise... oh my mistake, now you're "...not talking about why a phone is better. I am talking about why a phone is worse." (?). A real--yet inconsequential to most users--advantage like vanilla android is a mark against the evo, but a real--yet inconsequential to most users--advantage like a physical camera button is, let me guess, a laughable trifle?

WoG fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 13, 2012

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

If we are recommending phones to the normal everyday no research on phones type person, the iPhone is the best option.

Not if they specifically want an android phone.

Lowen SoDium posted:

The multitasking issue has the potential to cause other issue. It is HTC changing the standard memory management from the way Android was designed. At best, it is going to cause people's phones to not multitask well. At worse, it could break compatibility with some apps. And even if you think that I am blowing that out of proportion, you have to at least agree that it is not a desirable behavior.

Not desirable if you know and care about it and it doesn't cause issues other than causing apps to reload. I can also claim that the superior hardware has the potential to push the phone far beyond the Nexus' limits. Maybe HTC releases a surprise update that makes sense far away the greatest piece of software ever. Claiming potential issues that don't exist is ridiculous.

Lowen SoDium posted:

And yes, I am pushing my personal preference. That's the whole point of giving my opinion. My preference is to have a phone that works with out issue and to not have to wait 6-8 months to get software updates because of some bloat that I didn't want in the first place. If I recommended a phone that I think has short comings, I don't think I would be giving a very good opinion.

What if they ask for your recommendation on a phone with a big screen and great camera powered by android? Will you tell them about multitasking and updates then recommend the Nexus?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Both the Galaxy Nexus and Evo LTE have issues right now, so no, there is no cler cut win.

Issues:
Galaxy Nexus: battery, potential signal issues, I've seen some be a bit buggy, mine has not been overall

Evo LTE: Multi tasking, signal issue (I'm getting a complaint or two on it).

So yeah, there is no perfect option because it should pretty much be assumed that android phones will suck for the first month they are released until they get an update that fixes it. Hell the iPhone on sprint had signl problems when it first launched, and every once and a while iPhone activations crash. Son yeah, poo poo is not going to be perfect with any of them.

Personally, I'm very happy with my galaxy nexus, but for most people I'll be recommending the iPhone or Evo LTE. Either way, I think I'm finally learning my lesson on buying electronics the day they come out (girlfriend is having nexus issues with hers).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WoG posted:

I didn't say anything about agreeing with you or not. What I'm calling hypocritical is your characterizing 'has Sense' as an indisputable "flaw", while dismissing demonstrable weaknesses like the pentile layout with a "good enough for me".*

I did a couple minutes of comparison at a sprint store the other day, and it seemed like the evo was generally a few dB stronger (but it was far too brief a test, with enough second-to-second variation, to draw real conclusions). I've heard enough about it to believe it's not fantasy, though, and I'm in service fringes enough for it to be an issue, personally.

*or waving off the non-expandable storage and lack of usb mass storage mode with "well, it's a two-way street".
[e:] It's all about spin, really. The nexus has superior multitasking, therefore the evo's is "broken"; the evo has a superior screen and camera, therefore the nexus' are, likewise... oh my mistake, now you're "...not talking about why a phone is better. I am talking about why a phone is worse." (?). A real--yet inconsequential to most users--advantage like vanilla android is a mark against the evo, but a real--yet inconsequential to most users--advantage like a physical camera button is, let me guess, a laughable trifle?

I didn't say that the screen on the Nexus was good enough, I said it was stunning and praised it true blacks and contrast. I am saying that the screen is awesome.

I also didn't mention USB mass storage verse MTP at all in my post. I was said that there are advantages and disadvantages to having large internal storage verse removable storage. But I even said that I would prefer to have both.

If either of those are a problem for you, then by all means buy another phone.

Let me ask you, is the camera button so important to you that it was a buying consideration for you? If someone said that it was, then I would probably tell them that the EVO LTE was a good choice. Same if they just had to have a built in kick stand.

St. Blaize posted:

Maybe HTC releases a surprise update that makes sense far away the greatest piece of software ever. Claiming potential issues that don't exist is ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than waiting for HTC to releases a surprise update that makes sense far away the greatest piece of software ever

St. Blaize posted:

What if they ask for your recommendation on a phone with a big screen and great camera powered by android? Will you tell them about multitasking and updates then recommend the Nexus?

How big of a screen? Is the Galaxy Note big enough?

Seriously, if a friend asked me that and having the best camera is their biggest concern, I would tell them that the EVO LTE or HTC ONE X is probably their best bet, but I would warn them about what I consider to be short comings of the phone.

If the EVO LTE meets someone's needs better than the Galaxy Nexus, then more power to them.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
The multitasking issue on the evo has been fixed by the good folks at xda so it's easy to change If you are rooted and rooting it is so goddamn simple.

Will take ten minute for a somebody with zero android experience.

The hardware is better, software can be fixed.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Duckman2008 posted:

Extremely common. Take it to a sprint repair center and have them fix it. Those screens aren't cheap last I checked, and a 3D screen is hard as balls to swap.

That is incredibly annoying. How much will I expect to pay if I don't have insurance and it's out of warranty?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

The multitasking issue on the evo has been fixed by the good folks at xda so it's easy to change If you are rooted and rooting it is so goddamn simple.

Will take ten minute for a somebody with zero android experience.

The hardware is better, software can be fixed.

This is why I am leaving Android. While no phone is perfect (remember the iPhone 4 antenna) you shouldn't have to root to get a phone to work right.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

nate fisher posted:

This is why I am leaving Android. While no phone is perfect (remember the iPhone 4 antenna) you shouldn't have to root to get a phone to work right.

This is the truth. I enjoy messing with phones so I'll stick with Android. On the other hand, I think I'm going to stick with the iPhone for my wife. I'm thinking I'll eventually get the Nexus since I currently have the Nexus S and I much prefer that over my old Evo. Of course, I say all of this without messing with the phones in the store. Who knows, I might change my mind then. No phone is perfect but I know that I'm not comfortable with the iPhone though, the one button thing throws me off. :haw:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Today at work I dropped my Evo 3D and it landed face down on a pebble, cracking the screen into a pretty nice spiderweb. My contracts not up until November, so I'm guessing my best option is buying a used phone on eBay? What's a good phone to pick up these days?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Toebone posted:

Today at work I dropped my Evo 3D and it landed face down on a pebble, cracking the screen into a pretty nice spiderweb. My contracts not up until November, so I'm guessing my best option is buying a used phone on eBay? What's a good phone to pick up these days?

You could also try to buyout the remainder of your contract for ~$50.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
All this bitching about what phone is the best might be worthless. If you have a EVO LTE, Galaxy Nexus, or a iPhone be happy. You could be rocking a TP2 or Epic or even a Mogul right now instead.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

nate fisher posted:

All this bitching about what phone is the best might be worthless. If you have a EVO LTE, Galaxy Nexus, or a iPhone be happy. You could be rocking a TP2 or Epic or even a Mogul right now instead.

There can't be anybody still using a Mogul. I think they all self destructed. I'm pretty sure the Epic is generally regarded as a pretty good phone if you put CM9 on it though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Duckman2008 posted:

Both the Galaxy Nexus and Evo LTE have issues right now, so no, there is no cler cut win.

Clearly the Galaxy S III will save us all! :haw:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There can't be anybody still using a Mogul. I think they all self destructed. I'm pretty sure the Epic is generally regarded as a pretty good phone if you put CM9 on it though.

I was joking (my first smartphone was a Mogul). My daughter has a Epic and it has done better than my son's EVO Shift. Still that doesn't stop her from buttering me up for my 4S when I get a new iPhone. She finished 8th grade with a 4.0 after I told her I would let her have it when the new iPhone is released if she made straight As.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

nate fisher posted:

I was joking (my first smartphone was a Mogul). My daughter has a Epic and it has done better than my son's EVO Shift. Still that doesn't stop her from buttering me up for my 4S when I get a new iPhone. She finished 8th grade with a 4.0 after I told her I would let her have it when the new iPhone is released if she made straight As.

hahaha. I'm gonna tell my little girl if she can get no Ns or Us. I don't think the grades will be a challenge, but she's only 2 and everyone says she's my little clone (horrible). :D

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jerman999 posted:

That is incredibly annoying. How much will I expect to pay if I don't have insurance and it's out of warranty?

$35. If you don't like it, call sprint retentions (I still need to update the number in the OP) but the general policy is you haven't been paying $8 a month so you more than saved over the $35 blah blah blah. Take it to a repair center, see want they can do.

Toebone posted:

Nexus S and 3D are cheap online, and heck you could get a cheap bad ESN 3D and swap screens too (it's tough but doable). Otherwise buy up your upgrade, only reason not to is if you want the next iPhone.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nate fisher posted:

While you are correct you need ot realize that most people who don't dig deep into their phone will never realize they have a bad phone.

It's because they don't actually have a bad phone. They have an amazing phone.

They just don't have the fantasy phone in your head.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ehonna_disco posted:

It's because they don't actually have a bad phone. They have an amazing phone.

They just don't have the fantasy phone in your head.

I think I said that wrong. What I was trying to say most people will never realize that there is a problem with their phone. I did state you should be happy with the Nexus, EVO LTE, or iPhone. That said I find amazing too strong of a word. Last Android phone I found amazing was the OG EVO.

Also if you check my later post I said there is no prefect phone out there. Maybe if I could combine the size of the Nexus 4G with the camera and software of the iPhone 4S I would have my fantasy phone. Wow sounds like in October there is a chance it will no longer just be in my head. That said someone will screw something up with it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I went to Assurion's website phoneclaim.com/sprint to make an insurance claim for a lost Evo 3D on my account, and they had me answer a bunch of questions to confirm my identity. Then after successfully answering the 3 questions, I had to download a .PDF affidavit form and fax them a signed copy, along with a copy of my driver's license. Has anyone ever come across this when making a phone claim? Frustrating, and it'll probably put another business day or so delay on receiving the replacement, which probably means no phone until Monday.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I used that website many times in the past, but it was been over a year since the last time. It was always as easy as pie (and I always had a new phone waiting on me next day). That said I never filed a claim for a lost phone (it has always been for broken phones). It seems if you lose your phone they have to take it a extra step or 2.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Lost phones usually require a signed affidavit and/or police report so they have legal recourse if you didn't actually lose your phone and are just trying to scam them.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Sprint.com says the Galaxy Nexus is now $149 after a $50 rebate which goes to $139 after the Google Wallet credit. Good deal on the only Android phone worth buying.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

900ftjesus posted:

Sprint.com says the Galaxy Nexus is now $149 after a $50 rebate which goes to $139 after the Google Wallet credit. Good deal on the only Android phone worth buying.

How big of a difference are you really looking at performance-wise between the 1.2ghz processors of the Nexus and the 1.5ghz of the Evo? I've been pretty down on the Evo because of the multi-tasking issues, but if that can be solved by rooting then it might be a non-issue.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How big of a difference are you really looking at performance-wise between the 1.2ghz processors of the Nexus and the 1.5ghz of the Evo? I've been pretty down on the Evo because of the multi-tasking issues, but if that can be solved by rooting then it might be a non-issue.

Rooting should never be the solution to the problem.

That said, it's tough to really tell. The Nexus S running ICS with a single core is smoother than the Evo 3D dual core running Sense with a newer, faster CPU. But I doubt it's going to beat the 3D in a benchmark that measures raw CPU performance. I can't give any real numbers because any effort to Google benchmarks turns up a bunch of overclocked nonsense. Sense is always going to add overhead versus stock, and HTC hasn't proven to be more efficient yet, only more bloated.

Maybe HTC figured out that hundreds of MB of crap isn't helping and Sense can compete with stock, I'm still saying updates (or lack of updates) is the main reason to avoid the Evo. The argument was made more concise previously, if you want an Android phone there are plenty of reasons not to get the Evo but I can't think of a reason not to get the Nexus and now it's $60 cheaper than the Evo.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

quadrant scores are about twice as high with the evo. you can take benchmarks with a grain of salt but the evo has a newer processor in it. Pretty much all of htc's little battery saving tweaks have been modded by the community to get better performance. (also the screen is better, which is important since it is what you always look at.)

edit: wait, which evo are we talking about?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

I went to Assurion's website phoneclaim.com/sprint to make an insurance claim for a lost Evo 3D on my account, and they had me answer a bunch of questions to confirm my identity. Then after successfully answering the 3 questions, I had to download a .PDF affidavit form and fax them a signed copy, along with a copy of my driver's license. Has anyone ever come across this when making a phone claim? Frustrating, and it'll probably put another business day or so delay on receiving the replacement, which probably means no phone until Monday.

I very rarely look forward to dealing with Asurion.

And anyone looking for the Galaxy nexus with the new pricing please feel free to give me a shout.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

quadrant scores are about twice as high with the evo. you can take benchmarks with a grain of salt but the evo has a newer processor in it. Pretty much all of htc's little battery saving tweaks have been modded by the community to get better performance. (also the screen is better, which is important since it is what you always look at.)

You lost me at "modded by the community."

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It's a pretty big difference.

The Krait SoC isn't just 300mhz faster, it's a generational gap faster, with a better GPU to boot.

These devices are not 'close' when it comes to hardware power. I'd also argue that the EVO's screen is noticeably better. Like 'at a glance' you can tell that the EVO has a nicer screen. My mom has the Gal Nex and my wife the EVO. In my opinion the EVO is the better device.

Previous device for my wife was the OG EVO, and she hated sense on that, and I had her rooted and she was running CM7. This device she doesn't mind Sense at all, and hasn't really had any big complaints.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

What should I expect to pay for a used Nexus S 4G? My Evo Shift is sluggish on CM7 and don't want to deal with the keyboard anymore, it still works though. I live in an area with decent Wimax coverage so not looking at the Galaxy or Evo LTE.

I just bought one for $130 here a month ago. You can find them for $100+ on eBay.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

You are just being ridiculous now. Have you even seen or used the Evo LTE?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

St. Blaize posted:

You are just being ridiculous now. Have you even seen or used the Evo LTE?

I think it is more of a mistrust of anything that is not Nexus. I can sort of understand where he is coming from. If I had to pick between the 2 it would be tough.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been using the Evo LTE for a few weeks, and the "multitasking issue" really isn't an issue.

The only issues I have is that it tells me that it can't find the current time zone a few times a day, and sometimes I get a keyboard with arrow keys and sometimes I don't.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 15, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nate fisher posted:

I think it is more of a mistrust of anything that is not Nexus. I can sort of understand where he is coming from. If I had to pick between the 2 it would be tough.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the Nexus/Non-Nexus debate. I went from a Hero to Epic 4G to Evo 3D to Nexus S to Galaxy Nexus, and in my experience with those phones I have decided that it isn't worth the generational gap that opens up software-wise to be wooed by the latest and greatest hardware alone. On paper, the 3D was indisputably a better phone than the Nexus S, which was nearly identical chip-wise to the Epic 4G. In my usage the NS blew the 3D away without so much as a by-your-leave.

As for the LTE, I don't doubt it has a lot of potential under the hood. However, having heard that about the Epic 4G and subsequently the Evo 3D, I will be sticking with my Galaxy Nexus. If this breaks the trend then that's awesome. I am not holding my breath.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Is it possible for us to let this debate die? I'm happy people have found a phone that they like better than another phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

Is it possible for us to let this debate die? I'm happy people have found a phone that they like better than another phone.

This. In the end just pick which ever phone you think is better. Simple as that.